PDA

View Full Version : Sunday's Expectation-Nice Column

CaliforniaCheez
09-26-2008, 11:00 AM
Read it yourself here:

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080925/PKR07/80925146/1954/PKR03

1) The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have gained more yards after halftime than any team in the NFL.

2) The Green Bay Packers have allowed more yards after the break than all but one other team in the league.

3) Tampa Bay’s offense, ranks seventh this year just ahead of the Packers. They 1,117 yards. Nearly two thirds of that, 739 yards, has been earned after halftime.

4) The Vikings, Lions and Cowboys each carved out the majority of their yardage in the second halves of their games against Green Bay.

Minnesota acquired 255 of its 355 yards in the final two quarters. The Lions secured 191 of their total take of 311 yards in the same two periods. The Cowboys, after gaining 200 yards in building a 13-6 halftime lead, Dallas finished off the Packers with another 253 yards.

5) Late in the game can the Packers get first downs, keep the ball, run down the clock and keep scoring points? (Are you healthy Ryan holdout Grant?)

6) Can the Packer defense stop the Buccaneers and not give up the big play as they did against Detroit and Dallas? Especially with a reduced secondary?

It will hurt the Packers considerably if during the late 3rd and early 4th qtrs they have a typical 3 and out. 3 yard run, incomplete pass, 5 yard play and punt.

McCarthy has to want to be aggressive and run up the score. 2-3 yard runs to the middle of the line by Grant just won't cut it. Use the pass to set up the run, not the other way around!!

channtheman
09-26-2008, 11:04 AM
This doesn't bode very well if we are able to get a fairly large lead early as McCarthy always seems to make blowouts closer than they need to be. If the Bucs are as good in the second half as they are being made out to be, they might be able to overcome that.

oregonpackfan
09-26-2008, 11:14 AM
The Florida heat may well be a factor as well. The Packers need to hydrate well before he game starts.

I read an article where Tampa is electing to wear their white jerseys for the heat forcing the Packers to wear their dark green home jerseys. Dark clothes attracts and absorbs the sun which increases the heat factor.

Kyle.McCarroll
09-26-2008, 11:20 AM
I read an article where Tampa is electing to wear their white jerseys for the heat forcing the Packers to wear their dark green home jerseys. Dark clothes attracts and absorbs the sun which increases the heat factor.

Well, that's not very nice of them.

texaspackerbacker
09-26-2008, 12:28 PM
Was Tampa by chance playing catch up against teams with big leads on them?

That could be one explanation--like what Detroit got against us.

Also, if you march down the field and throw an interception, you build up a lot of yardage--especially if the other team gets a quick score. That also could be an explanation--also like Detroit against us.

LL2
09-26-2008, 12:34 PM
Read it yourself here:

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080925/PKR07/80925146/1954/PKR03

1) The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have gained more yards after halftime than any team in the NFL.

This worries me if the Packers D gets stuck on the field too long like in the Dallas game.

]{ilr]3
09-26-2008, 02:45 PM
The only team with a decent defense that TB has faced is the bears. And just how good they are this year is debatable. So i am not too worried about the yards after the break stats from the previous weeks.

As far as the TB offense being rank above ours we have faced 2 of the best defenses in the league IMO and done well.

I only hope our backup players in our secondary can play to the same level as our starters who are going to be out for this game. Thats the real question and the only reason TB has a good shot of winning this game. I think our offense will do fine.

CaliforniaCheez
09-27-2008, 10:46 PM
I just hope the Packers quit being merciful about running up the score and not let the other team get back into the game.

SnakeLH2006
09-28-2008, 01:34 AM
Who the fuck (can't remember the poster) was saying our Defense was a top 3 defense all offseason? Our O is above average, but that saggy D worries me when we can't consistently pressure the QB. WTF? We better hope Rouse or Bigby is healthy (haven't heard updates on either...what's their status?) cuz we'll win as our O is much better than theirs. Greise throwing 67 passes, we can only hope as he is ass.

MM has had my props for a long time, but damn if he ain't looking conservative with playcalling and our D not blitzing late. Go blitz 'em. WTF? I thought that was OUR BIG offseason gameplan to disrupt O's? Guess not. :shock:

Fritz
09-28-2008, 09:06 AM
I like that...that saggy D.

But if the offense could do better than a bunch of three-and-outs in the second half, the D might do better.