PDA

View Full Version : Most pleasant suprise

CaliforniaCheez
09-26-2008, 11:12 AM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080925/PKR07/80926004/1058/PKR01

A couple of writers make their case for Greg Jennings and AJ Hawk being the most pleasant suprise of the Packers so far.

For me the criteria is always who is exceeding expectations. Therefore I think some other Packers should be considered. Please name your own pleasant suprise.

Aaron Rodgers

Colin Cole

Daryn Colledge

Jordy Nelson

Should be honorable mentions. (I would really like to see great performances from Tramon Williams in the future to include him.)

As a unit we knew the WR's would do well but the LB's are very deep with Chillar and Bishop able to start for many teams in the league.

If I were writing the article I would have said Rodgers.

Kyle.McCarroll
09-26-2008, 11:21 AM
Cullen Jenkins

Jason Spitz

Gunakor
09-26-2008, 01:32 PM
I'm just not suprised at all about Jennings or Hawk. To be honest, they are doing what I had expected them to do. Jennings could be All-Pro this year and it wouldn't suprise me.

Aaron Rodgers is a guy I expected to do well, but not quite as well as he's done. So he's been somewhat of a suprise.

Biggest suprise so far IMO? Nick Collins. Just a month ago I was hoping he wouldn't make the team, and now I'm praying that he's healthy enough to start this weekend. He's really turned it around this year, far exceeding any and all expectations I had for him in 2008. He's been more than solid thus far.

Tony Oday
09-26-2008, 01:45 PM
Biggest suprise I would think is Grant not being any good...

bobblehead
09-26-2008, 01:48 PM
I'm just not suprised at all about Jennings or Hawk. To be honest, they are doing what I had expected them to do. Jennings could be All-Pro this year and it wouldn't suprise me.

Aaron Rodgers is a guy I expected to do well, but not quite as well as he's done. So he's been somewhat of a suprise.

Biggest suprise so far IMO? Nick Collins. Just a month ago I was hoping he wouldn't make the team, and now I'm praying that he's healthy enough to start this weekend. He's really turned it around this year, far exceeding any and all expectations I had for him in 2008. He's been more than solid thus far.

True dat...I had predicted a lost job and one more season as a packer for collins, but if these 3 games are indication we could have a future all pro or bare minimum 10 year starter on our hands.

Gunakor
09-26-2008, 02:10 PM

Grant hasn't been healthy and our OL has been patchwork so far this year. Last year Grant was healthy and the OL had gelled, but due to injury neither has happened yet this season. Why are you suprised at the lack of production?

Besides, this thread was about positive surpises thus far.

Tony Oday
09-26-2008, 02:32 PM

Grant hasn't been healthy and our OL has been patchwork so far this year. Last year Grant was healthy and the OL had gelled, but due to injury neither has happened yet this season. Why are you suprised at the lack of production?

Oops let me spin this then...watch a sales guy at work...

Even though the offensive line has not gelled the way it did towards the end of the season this year and RB starter Ryan Grant has worked through nagging injuries the backup RB job has been solidified by a more confident Brandon Jackson who has shown a nice burst and a great one cut this season. Look for RB to be a strength for the Packers in the remaining games this season and into the future.

Better ;)

Gunakor
09-26-2008, 03:29 PM

Even though the offensive line has not gelled the way it did towards the end of the season this year and RB starter Ryan Grant has worked through nagging injuries the backup RB job has been solidified by a more confident Brandon Jackson who has shown a nice burst and a great one cut this season. Look for RB to be a strength for the Packers in the remaining games this season and into the future.

Better ;)

:bclap: :bclap: :bclap:

Much better!

Brando19
09-26-2008, 03:32 PM
Aaron Kampman is number one.

Also, Atari Bigby and Mason Crosby.

RashanGary
09-26-2008, 03:51 PM
Cullen Jenkins is the positive suprise

Aaron Rouse is the negative.

texaspackerbacker
09-26-2008, 04:10 PM
Some of those mentioned--like Jennings--aren't really a surprise.

I'd go with Collins, Hawk, Colledge, and Jenkins in that order.

Don't count out Grant. In addition to playing hurt and some O Line problems, you have the fact that teams have been making Rodgers prove himself by playing to shut down the run. As Rodgers gets respect like Favre had, the D will be more like last year, and Grant will thrive.

sharpe1027
09-26-2008, 04:16 PM

Don't count out Grant. In addition to playing hurt and some O Line problems, you have the fact that teams have been making Rodgers prove himself by playing to shut down the run. As Rodgers gets respect like Favre had, the D will be more like last year, and Grant will thrive.

I'd go with Collins. I really thought he had topped out and was not improving. So far, it seems that he has improved his ability to make a play on the ball and has comeup and really hit some people.

Do you really think teams were loading up for the run? Dallas seemed to have 6 or 7 in coverage every play. I can't say whether the Lions or Vikings were stacking the line, but I don't specifically recall it happening.

texaspackerbacker
09-26-2008, 04:33 PM

I'd go with Collins. I really thought he had topped out and was not improving. So far, it seems that he has improved his ability to make a play on the ball and has comeup and really hit some people.

Do you really think teams were loading up for the run? Dallas seemed to have 6 or 7 in coverage every play. I can't say whether the Lions or Vikings were stacking the line, but I don't specifically recall it happening.

Somehow, just as Grant would get to the second level and look like he was ready to bust one, they'd have somebody there. I suspect the Safeties were cheating up--not exactly an extra man in the box, just not as deep as normal if they had been worrying more about long passes.

sharpe1027
09-26-2008, 04:37 PM
Somehow, just as Grant would get to the second level and look like he was ready to bust one, they'd have somebody there. I suspect the Safeties were cheating up--not exactly an extra man in the box, just not as deep as normal if they had been worrying more about long passes.

That makes sense. It would also mean that the safties would also be helping on the mid-short pass routes. I'm not sure though, because the safties were only making plays after he had 5+ yards. To me that suggests that they were sitting back some.

MJZiggy
09-26-2008, 05:44 PM
I'm going to say Tramon Williams in about 3 more games...

BobDobbs
09-26-2008, 05:59 PM
My biggest surprise is that only one person mentioned Rodgers as their biggest surprise. Must be a confident bunch. I knew he was good, but watching the 49ers game or the one pass fourth game, I just didn't know what to expect.

He has looked like one of the better QBs in the league and definitely the best young starter. He still has upside and the chance to be great. His accuracy, judgement, and elusiveness have been top notch. Biggest surprise hands down IMO.

cpk1994
09-27-2008, 01:03 AM

Better ;)Have you recently run for political office? :)

mmmdk
09-27-2008, 07:18 AM
I'm going to say Tramon Williams in about 3 more games...

I believe Tramon will be good too.

Nick Collins has been a pleasant surprise!

AJ Hawk?? C'mon...you didn't know he was good?

Grant looks fine to me; he's been dinged up plus the OL is, by far, the biggest letdown this season. I think the OL will have to work hard to be average.

Kyle.McCarroll
09-27-2008, 09:02 AM
Grant looks fine to me; he's been dinged up plus the OL is, by far, the biggest letdown this season. I think the OL will have to work hard to be average.

Did you expect the O-line to be great or something?

They always been somewhat mediocre, and you can't forget that we had Tony Moll playing the first three weeks. We get Wells back this week, and hopefully Sitton will be coming back soon. They should start to improve once we get the right guys in there.

mraynrand
09-27-2008, 09:27 AM
My biggest surprise is that only one person mentioned Rodgers as their biggest surprise. Must be a confident bunch. I knew he was good, but watching the 49ers game or the one pass fourth game, I just didn't know what to expect.

He has looked like one of the better QBs in the league and definitely the best young starter. He still has upside and the chance to be great. His accuracy, judgement, and elusiveness have been top notch. Biggest surprise hands down IMO.

I expected him to make a ton of mistakes early and then get better. The surprise is that McCarthy has been able to give him a limited playbook and make him effective, better than effective, while keeping big mistakes out of the equation. You work on his confidence and the basics, then by midseason or so, McCarthy could really expand the playbook and the options so that the offense is less predictable. Each week is a new test, so it will be interesting how Rodgers fares against one of the more complex, brutal and fundamentally sound defenses in Tampa. At least he doesn't have to face Philly or NYG yet....

ThunderDan
09-27-2008, 09:38 AM

I expected him to make a ton of mistakes early and then get better. The surprise is that McCarthy has been able to give him a limited playbook and make him effective, better than effective, while keeping big mistakes out of the equation. You work on his confidence and the basics, then by midseason or so, McCarthy could really expand the playbook and the options so that the offense is less predictable. Each week is a new test, so it will be interesting how Rodgers fares against one of the more complex, brutal and fundamentally sound defenses in Tampa. At least he doesn't have to face Philly or NYG yet....

Where did you read he isn't using the whole playbook? It would seem to me after 3 years in the same system starting or not he better know the plays.

Kyle.McCarroll
09-27-2008, 10:08 AM

Where did you read he isn't using the whole playbook? It would seem to me after 3 years in the same system starting or not he better know the plays.

I'm sure Rodgers knows all of the plays. MM is just not calling all of them (sp).

RashanGary
09-27-2008, 11:32 AM
McCarthy said he hasn't limited the offense at all. Those interceptions that we used to see didn't mean Favre had more of the playbook. It meant he didn't know what he was doing. Listening to Rodgers and watching him play, I wouldn't be suprised if he could handle a bigger playbook than Favre even after 17 years. Favre is not very smart.

Brando19
09-27-2008, 12:06 PM
McCarthy said he hasn't limited the offense at all. Those interceptions that we used to see didn't mean Favre had more of the playbook. It meant he didn't know what he was doing. Listening to Rodgers and watching him play, I wouldn't be suprised if he could handle a bigger playbook than Favre even after 17 years. Favre is not very smart.

WTF? Nevermind...you just want attention.

boiga
09-27-2008, 12:20 PM
I'm with the Nick Collins for the greatest surprise. Jennings, Hawk, and Rodgers have merely continued to show the talent that they demonstrated last year. They've fully lived up to our high expectations of them, but that's not surprising.

Collins, on the other hand was almost a liability last year. He dropped interceptions that hit him in the hands, he missed tackles occasionally and often lost containment, giving up big plays.

This year, though, he's become a heavy hitting, sure tackling, interception machine. He's easily had the largest jump in his level of play of any member of the Packers.

mmmdk
09-27-2008, 12:20 PM

Did you expect the O-line to be great or something?

They always been somewhat mediocre, and you can't forget that we had Tony Moll playing the first three weeks. We get Wells back this week, and hopefully Sitton will be coming back soon. They should start to improve once we get the right guys in there.

Rewind to McCarthy preaching post-Favre retirement; we're gonna run the ball more. I think you'll my find answer in the above.

RashanGary
09-27-2008, 06:29 PM
Mark Tauscher has not played well. He's been a bit of a disappointment at RT.

Mazzin
09-27-2008, 11:00 PM

Have to agree, Aaron Rodgers is deff. my pick for biggest surprise.

Although....to say he is the BEST young starter...is an overstament...See
Jay Cutler (25 yrs old) (8 tds. 2 int. 914 yrds.) 1 fmbl
Phillip Rivers (26 yrs old) (9 tds. 2 int. 844 yrds.) 0 fmbl
Aaron Rodgers (24 yrs old) (4 tds. 0 int. 796 yrds.) 4 fmbls

To say that our boy Arod is the clear-cut BEST YOUNG STARTER....thats just to close to call....I say Cutler...WOW.

:taunt:

SnakeLH2006
09-28-2008, 12:33 AM
Surpises:

1) Jenkins looks healthy and is man-beastin mofos so far. Looks like he shoulda looked after the 2007 preseason.

2) Hawk regardless of injury is making plays. Looks good.

3) Collins (always dinged up) is healthy and making plays too. Look damn good thus far as we needed that with Bigby down.

4) Rodgers playing pretty well. Didn't think he'd do it this quick. Go Arod.

Disappointments:

1) Taucher is looking old and slow and maybe hurt. Sad in his contract year.

2) DT's getting smoked. Jolly has not made plays.