PDA

View Full Version : Coach: Packers' Harris out at least 3 weeks

packers11
09-26-2008, 06:10 PM
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gNRwhEtIIFa6FpyLFKi7QDfP_gfAD93EKREG1

Coach: Packers' Harris out at least 3 weeks

2 hours ago

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) — The outlook for injured Packers cornerback Al Harris is encouraging.

Harris suffered a spleen injury in Sunday's game against the Dallas Cowboys and has been ruled out for this Sunday's game against Tampa Bay.

Green Bay coach Mike McCarthy says Harris will be out "at least three to four weeks."

It was initially feared the Pro Bowl cornerback would miss the rest of the season and that his playing career could be in jeopardy. McCarthy says it's his understanding Harris' spleen won't need to be surgically removed, thus allowing it to heal on its own.

Freak Out
09-26-2008, 07:30 PM
Is that all? Now that's some good news if the prognosis holds true.

TheCheese
09-26-2008, 08:07 PM
This is really great news, I hope he fully heals before trying to get back out there though. Some more things at stake than football.

gbgary
09-26-2008, 08:42 PM
great news for Al and the Packers.

pbmax
09-26-2008, 08:50 PM
Please be careful Al. And Packers Org., please be careful too.

MadtownPacker
09-26-2008, 09:01 PM
This bullshit. No way he is ready that fast. Someone needs to step in here.

KYPack
09-26-2008, 09:05 PM
I know.

This is gettin' scary.

We need to call in Doc Adams from Gunsmoke or some other rational adult physician.

Wouldn't you think if you tear your spleen, you're done for the season?

KYPack
09-26-2008, 09:10 PM
This from MM's presser

"I'd say it's safe it's going to be at least three to four weeks," McCarthy said, when asked about the timetable for Harris' return. "The thing that we know for sure is we've had to totally shut him down for seven days, so he'll start probably Monday morning with some form of conditioning, and it will just progress as we move forward. There will be some tests that are done along the way. I don't have an exact timeframe for you."

Take it from me, never let a coach tell you how severe your injury is. 'Cause they really don't give a shit.

hoosier
09-26-2008, 09:24 PM
McCarthy's not the one who has to clear him, the doctors do that. If it's a significant tear, which the symptoms suggested--tasting blood and pissing blood--then there's no way anyone knows anything now. The first reliable prognosis will come when he gets his next CT in a week or two. That will tell how the tear is healing and maybe THEN they can offer an estimate on when Harris will be ready.

Rastak
09-26-2008, 09:45 PM
McCarthy's not the one who has to clear him, the doctors do that. If it's a significant tear, which the symptoms suggested--tasting blood and pissing blood--then there's no way anyone knows anything now. The first reliable prognosis will come when he gets his next CT in a week or two. That will tell how the tear is healing and maybe THEN they can offer an estimate on when Harris will be ready.

Everything you say is true.

Two things to consider.

1) The doctors in question work through the Packers unless he shops around.
2) This is a guy whose agent said was willing to lose an organ to play a game. If anybody tells him it's ok, he'll do it.

Hopefully what he wants and what the medical experts think is right will coincide.

MJZiggy
09-26-2008, 10:06 PM
He's shopped at least 3 or 4 opinions. I think he's LOOKING for the guy that'll tell him he can play.

MadScientist
09-26-2008, 10:10 PM

Everything you say is true.

Two things to consider.

1) The doctors in question work through the Packers unless he shops around.
2) This is a guy who agent said was wiling to lose an organ to play a game. If anybody tells him it's ok, he'll do it.

Hopefully what he wants and what the medical experts think is right will coincide.
I would think that the doctors will be a bit more cautious when dealing with internal organs / internal bleeding than they are for muscle and joint injuries.

Jimx29
09-27-2008, 12:11 AM
He's shopped at least 3 or 4 opinions. I think he's LOOKING for the guy that'll tell him he can play.That's exactly what he did too. Last I knew of for sure was he was heading for a third opinion and for this type of injury he shouldn't be looking for the "alls clear" sign to early.
Now when I go to 3 doctors so I CANNOT go to work, that's completely different :?

BF4MVP
09-27-2008, 12:34 AM
That'd be sweet if he only missed a month..Fingers crossed.

KYPack
09-27-2008, 10:07 AM
He's shopped at least 3 or 4 opinions. I think he's LOOKING for the guy that'll tell him he can play.That's exactly what he did too. Last I knew of for sure was he was heading for a third opinion and for this type of injury he shouldn't be looking for the "alls clear" sign to early.
Now when I go to 3 doctors so I CANNOT go to work, that's completely different :?

or get that Scrip.

boiga
09-27-2008, 12:30 PM
Al is superhuman. That's all there is to it. If he can open field tackle Marrion Barber with this spleen injury, then recovery within a month seems like child's play

Pacopete4
09-27-2008, 01:48 PM
i absolutely love it.. i love guys givin their blood, sweat, tears to a football team and to a game!... all i know is i just hope when/if he does come play.. that hes healthy enough not to put his life at risk

pbmax
09-27-2008, 02:07 PM
I would think that the doctors will be a bit more cautious when dealing with internal organs / internal bleeding than they are for muscle and joint injuries.
Chris Simms probably thought that too. So did the players whose coach told them they only had their bell run, or were dinged, when they had a concussion.