PDA

View Full Version : A lesson MM should learn

ThunderDan
09-27-2008, 06:09 PM
I pray that MM was watching the Badger game today. When you have the opposition down at halftime and you are dominating them DON'T LET UP until the game is over.

This was very similar to the Detroit game except Woodson was able to turn the game back to the Packers.

BZnDallas
09-27-2008, 06:20 PM
that shit pisses me off!!! ... i would have thought Bielema would have learned after the fresno st. game... you have to go for the kill when you have the chance... it seems in todays game good sportsmanship only gets you beat!!... sorry f***'n P***Y!! and like you said above MM seems to play the same good sportsmanship game, its not going to work week in and week out... at some point put up 50 if you can and apologize later... i'm so f'n pissed right now!!!

RashanGary
09-27-2008, 06:25 PM
I agree. The Packers are a good team, a really good team. They don't, however, have the traditional maulers up front that can close a game the safe, traditional way.

When teams get behind their first reaction is to load up against the run knowing the opposition wants to wear out the clock. The worst thing you can do, if you don't have a mauling offensive line, is run right into a run stopping defense. If you're Dallas you can do it. If you're Green bay? Prolly not.

Next year, with what could be a Colledge/Spitz/Sitton interior, I could see us start to get a push when it's time to close games, especially on the right side. Right now, our personal is not equipped to close games that way. I agree that McCarthy should recognize that and rather than beat his head on the wall wityh a run game that only works when it's a suprise, he should continue to play to his teams strengths and take advantage of the run heavy defenses.

BZnDallas
09-27-2008, 06:29 PM
thanx for turning it back to packer talk justin harrell... sorry for the badger rant in the packer message board... just tried to let off some steam... i'm still f'n pissed though

pbmax
09-27-2008, 08:11 PM
I pray that MM was watching the Badger game today. When you have the opposition down at halftime and you are dominating them DON'T LET UP until the game is over.

This was very similar to the Detroit game except Woodson was able to turn the game back to the Packers.
So running the ball is letting up? You need to be able to run in the second half to seal the win. Unless you are simply superior to the competition, passing all game long will give the other team more time to come back.

Running isn't the same as letting up.

pbmax
09-27-2008, 08:14 PM
I agree. The Packers are a good team, a really good team. They don't, however, have the traditional maulers up front that can close a game the safe, traditional way.

When teams get behind their first reaction is to load up against the run knowing the opposition wants to wear out the clock. The worst thing you can do, if you don't have a mauling offensive line, is run right into a run stopping defense. If you're Dallas you can do it. If you're Green bay? Prolly not.

Next year, with what could be a Colledge/Spitz/Sitton interior, I could see us start to get a push when it's time to close games, especially on the right side. Right now, our personal is not equipped to close games that way. I agree that McCarthy should recognize that and rather than beat his head on the wall wityh a run game that only works when it's a suprise, he should continue to play to his teams strengths and take advantage of the run heavy defenses.
The Holmgren Packers didn't have maulers up front, but managed to run in the second half. You don't need to run every down, but the mix should go in its favor. Holmgren loved to run out of the 3 wide receiver and 1 back set with Levens. It can be done against any defense.

Sherman had the mauling line and could close out a game by almost exclusively running. But that doesn't mean there isn't room in between. Oh, and if you haven't noticed, the Cowboys mauling line has had less success in the playoffs than even the playoff challenged Sherman. Its hard to run to win when down late.

In a good offense, if the D lines up eight in a box to stop the run, you switch to pass, and this Packer offense has that call in is arsenal.

texaspackerbacker
09-27-2008, 09:04 PM
I sat there with the Badgers choking it away on one TV, and the Brewers choking it away on the other TV, just thinking, it better not happen to the Packers.

ThunderDan
09-27-2008, 10:51 PM

So running the ball is letting up? You need to be able to run in the second half to seal the win. Unless you are simply superior to the competition, passing all game long will give the other team more time to come back.

Running isn't the same as letting up.

It wasn't the running the ball that was letting up. The defense went into a prevent mode. Give them anything underneath. Michigan's offense then got some momentum and turned the game.

The Badgers D was sick in the first half. And made me vomit in the 2nd half.

SnakeLH2006
09-28-2008, 01:28 AM
Real sad overall. My buddy came up to before the game saying some ESPN dude said the Badgers could be the Nat. Champs. I'm a HUGE Badger fan, but laughed saying it would be tight game, but we can't win in Ann Arbor....well hey, Badgers are good, but choke EVERY year in a "gimmee" game. Pretty pissed off as WE (the Badgers) don't have enough team speed (playmakers) to EVER go Nat. Champs. Same shit, Different Year. The drop off from Bielema to Alveraz is nil....we can't win in BIG games.

That's why I'm a bigger Packer fan. Losing to the Cowboys doesn't ruin our season. Losing to the Wolverines, loses the Badgers season regardless of if they win out.

Fritz
09-28-2008, 09:11 AM
For whatever reason, the Pack's 2nd half offense doesn't seem to work so well. Could be the other teams adjustments. Could be MM's playcalling once he gets a lead. Could be the offensive line's inability to run block well enough. I'm not sure.

But this second half dud offense and saggy defense is for the birds. And it won't work out today in the heat - so something's got to change for the better.

pbmax
09-28-2008, 09:51 AM
So exactly what lesson is MM supposed to learn? Not to play prevent? Have we even seen a prevent? Is the lesson "Never lose after having a lead"?

As for tpb and choking, this is the second favorite explanation for poor performance after blaming the play calling.

The Badgers lost because as has been common in their OLBs and BB era, they play terrible assignment defense. How many backdoor runs did Michigan have when someone lost contain again? The second half looked like Illinois last year. They play defense like there isn't a brain on the field. Everyone plays aggressive and looks for the big play. Too few are assignment sure.

And the offense looks like it has a first year starter as QB. Hot streak, then can't hit the broadside of a barn. And he locks onto receivers. If I am not mistaken, he missed a wide open guy on his far left for the 2 point conversion after the penalty wiped out the first.

And by the way, who was called illegally downfield? I have seen the replay several times and I can't pick it out.

pbmax
09-28-2008, 09:58 AM
For whatever reason, the Pack's 2nd half offense doesn't seem to work so well. Could be the other teams adjustments. Could be MM's playcalling once he gets a lead. Could be the offensive line's inability to run block well enough. I'm not sure.

But this second half dud offense and saggy defense is for the birds. And it won't work out today in the heat - so something's got to change for the better.
I have seen this too, though I think the saggy defense starts with TOP problems that begin in the second half. We don't seem to do a good job of sustaining drives when the focus shifts to the clock. There are so many moving parts, the first of which is Grant, who clearly cannot break the longer ones as well with the injury. Even if he isn't plowing the pile for four, longer runs change the field position and still get you a first.

The interior line has improved its run blocking. Hopefully that continues with Wells, and Tampa's D doesn't have a Ticonderoga class DT like the Vikings and 'Boys.

The one other consistent thing about our inconsistency, is that Jackson has been opening the 3rd QTR as the starter. He has improved as well, but can still move to much and still drops too many passes.

I think if you add that up plus a fumbled snap and a drop by James Jones, that is four drives that kill you in the second half. If the defense schemes to prevent the big pass play after half time, then this would make sense. Now watch the Tampa game prove all this wrong :lol:

Fred's Slacks
09-28-2008, 10:01 AM
And by the way, who was called illegally downfield? I have seen the replay several times and I can't pick it out.

It was the tight end lined up inside of Beckum. Both he and Beckum were on the line so Beckum was covering him up making him ineligible. There was a receiver on the line on the other side of the formation so that makes 8 guys on the line, which I thought was an illegal formation but either way its a penalty. If either Beckum or the other tight end takes a step back, the conversion is good and we go into overtime.

bobblehead
09-28-2008, 10:06 AM
Everyone here makes some decent points, I would just add one thing. I think as ARod progresses you might see a few audibles into deep passes when a team stacks up the box to prevent the run. Right now he might be a bit afraid to audible out of a run when we are holding a nice lead, but a few more lions games and he might lose that fear.