PDA

View Full Version : Show them the MONEY?

GrnBay007
06-22-2006, 10:01 PM
Views on using some incentives.........

-

Harlan Huckleby
06-22-2006, 10:39 PM
What you need to do is instill a love of learning. Encourage reading. Hey, that's what my mom did for me, and look how I turned out!!

Grades will come at some point, I think.

Anti-Polar Bear
06-22-2006, 11:26 PM
I picked yes because Harlan didnt.

GrnBay007
06-22-2006, 11:30 PM
I'd like to hear views from those choosing "other".

My first thought was Tank picked "other". He may take away his kids dope if their grades fall ....but he said he picked yes.

-

Bretsky
06-22-2006, 11:33 PM
I think it's fine to give kids money; I received some change when I had good grades and considered it a feel good award.

In high school if I made the honor roll I got to cut a day of school a year and I used that to stay home and watch the NFL Draft a few years..........back in the old days when it was on mid week.

Anti-Polar Bear
06-22-2006, 11:41 PM
I'd like to hear views from those choosing "other".

My first thought was Tank picked "other". He may take away his kids dope if their grades fall ....but he said he picked yes.

-

Truth be told, I didnt care much about this thread. All I read was the 1st question and Harlan's post. They werent corelated, so i just picked it. I wanted to start a forum fight with Harlan the way Skinbasket started with me, but the relized that Harlan is a pretty good guy who has always been good to me. So I delated the second paragraph, which was written to start the war of word, out of respect for Harlan.

Harlan is cool.

GoPackGo
06-23-2006, 12:01 AM
I think its good to promise rewards for good grades(not necessarily money) to kids because it can help them focus. Middle and high school years can be the toughest in a kids life and its easy to get off track.

SkinBasket
06-23-2006, 08:17 AM
If you pay for good grades, I still get the feeling you're giving them a reward for something they ought to be doing in the first place. If you expect more out of them, they should feel good for their own sake.

I guess there are a significant number of parents out there though that don't seem to take an interest in their kid's education and instead of using "love" and appreciation to instill that sense of pride in the kid for doing well, they glance at the summary on their report card, open up the wallet, and tell em to go outside and play so they can finish watching Ricky Lake.

Not that paying them in and of itself is bad, as long as it's not a substitute for giving them genuine positive feedback. The monetary reward system establishes unrealistic expectations (that they should get paid for anything good they do, like "Mom, I cleaned my room, where's my dollar?") and poor motivation factors (focusing on doing things just for money, then they'll only put effort into those things they'll get paid for) IMO.

MJZiggy
06-23-2006, 08:41 AM
I chose other. I think that their effort and work they put in should be rewarded, but not necessarily monetarily. I'm thinking along the lines of trip to theme park or something out of the ordinary

pacfan
06-23-2006, 08:59 AM
I chose other. I think that their effort and work they put in should be rewarded, but not necessarily monetarily. I'm thinking along the lines of trip to theme park or something out of the ordinary

I hate grades, personally.

I reward my kids by their efforts, but not with cash. The older kid hated school and his grades reflected it. The second kid doesn't like school but makes a strong effort to do well.

If they bring homework home, are involved in the day-to-day activities of school, then the kids are/were rewarded (trips, game-time, frineds over, etc..). With all the conversations we have with our kid's teachers, we have an idea of what the grades are going to be come report card time.

Harlan Huckleby
06-23-2006, 10:11 AM
I'm thinking along the lines of trip to theme park or something out of the ordinary

Kids, Grandma, we're going to Wally World!!!!!!!!

Oscar
06-23-2006, 10:15 AM
I usually try to reward my kids more for hard work as compared to just good grades. My 9 year old hada tuff time this year in math Her grades were average in that subject but the others were well above the mark. My 7 year old just cruised through everything. It was kinda hard t oreward one for good grades and not the other even though she worked her butt off to get an average grade. As long as there working hard and doing there best we do stuff like pizza on friday nights or a day at the pool.. stuff like that.

retailguy
06-23-2006, 12:56 PM
I voted "other". Why?

I have found that money is not always the best motivator. My girls want for NOTHING, and don't NEED money. They both currently have saved like $60. and can't find anything to spend it on. My wife offered them $5 to pull weeds in the backyard that would have taken me less than 30 minutes and they stopped halfway through. When asked why, they replied that they were bored and didn't really need the money.

I believe in motivation, but we use other things, like a trip to their favorite restaurant, a weekend spent bicycling or at the park, stuff like that.

Not saying that I won't use money, I might, but it won't be my first choice. BTW- both girls are in the "gifted" classes and get top grades. Hopefully, with careful planning and a watchful eye it will stay that way.