PDA

View Full Version : Peter King's Take On Favre

HarveyWallbangers
04-04-2006, 06:15 PM
Taking his time
Peter King, SI.com

I'm hearing it everywhere I go and now you're writing me with the same sentiment: Quit or get off the pot, Brett Favre. You want Favre to make his decision whether to keep playing or to retire, and you want him to make it now. First your thoughts, then I'll give you mine.

FAVRE IS DOING THE PACK A DISSERVICE. From Jay of Boston: "I have to say, Peter, I'm starting to get fed up with Favre's waffling. Sure, he's a future HOFer and all that, but he's doing his team no favors with all this do-I-or-don't-I-play delaying stuff. Essentially, he's holding the Packers hostage since they can't make any decisions regarding the QB position until Favre does. The longer he keeps them waiting, the worse off they are. Just make a decision and stick to it already, Brett!"

"H" IS FOR "HOSTAGE." From Jordan Beck of Calgary, Alberta: "Isn't Favre holding the Packers hostage by what he's doing? His agent's comments are arrogant and say it all. I read that Favre said the exact same thing as his agent did before the April 1 deadline: 'What are they going to do, cut me?' He then went on to say something like, 'I don't have to come back. My legacy will speak for itself.' I love Favre and think he's more than partly responsible for the massive growth of the NFL the last 13-plus years, but if this is how he's going to go out, with one of the worst years in QB history and backhanded comments to one of the most storied franchises in football -- never mind their fans -- he's doing himself a huge disservice. Yes, they had a lot of injuries last year, but Favre hurt them every game by throwing dumb passes and trying to do too much. Has he ever said, 'Sorry for my terrible play last year?'"

Let's examine the situation. Favre, as everyone knows, was very close at the end of the season to walking away and retiring. But he thought he should be fair to himself, his family and the team, to let the season sink in and take some time before making such a big decision. The Packers said, "Take your time. No deadline from us.'' Favre then went about the decision the same way he did last year: hang around at home, play some golf, relax, cut the grass, think some more and then make up his mind. That's what he's doing right now. And if the Packers wanted a decision by a certain date -- I believe they did -- then they're going back on their word, which was "Take your time, we don't want to pressure you."

ADVERTISEMENT
If you think about it, why do the Packers need a decision from Favre before the post-draft, full-squad minicamp in May? Were they going to go out and try to sign a big-name veteran like Jon Kitna to compete with Aaron Rodgers for the starting job? No. That's not GM Ted Thompson's style. Thompson's style and Favre's don't mesh, which is why I think there's a better chance now than I thought last week that Favre will walk away (though, believe me, I have scant inside information; I'm just trying to read the tea leaves like everyone else).

Thompson's way, right now, is to build the best 53-man roster he can for the long haul; 2006 is important to him, but not anymore important than 2007 or beyond. Favre wants the Packers to make some signings so 2006 won't be a repeat of last year. I'm guessing, with the cream of the free-agency crop picked clean by now, that's not going to happen. So in the next couple of weeks, Favre's going to have to ask himself whether he wants to go to camp with a team that would clearly be an underdog to Minnesota and Chicago in the NFC North.

Re: the other point, Jordan, about Favre's comment about being cut: I can only imagine, because I haven't talked to him, that he's chafing at the pressure he perceives he's getting from the team to make a decision. And if the team told him to go away and make his decision and didn't ever put a timetable on it, and now the Packers are putting a timetable on it ... well, then I'd be a little peeved too.

Rastak
04-04-2006, 06:39 PM
I can only imagine, because I haven't talked to him, that he's chafing at the pressure he perceives he's getting from the team to make a decision. And if the team told him to go away and make his decision and didn't ever put a timetable on it, and now the Packers are putting a timetable on it ... well, then I'd be a little peeved too.

My guess is they didn't really thing he'd take all the time in the world when they said it go take all the time you need!

Fosco33
04-04-2006, 09:21 PM
IMO, this is kinda TT's thing - he makes statements like the above. :oops:

Favre deserves time to make a decision and wants a competitive Packer team to show up for one last run - is or isn't he being selfish :?: Who cares - it's his decision as the Packers have already said "take all the time you need" and "we want you as our QB." No way does TT cut Brett!

SO, let's say that the Packers make no significant progress on improving the team - what is Brett's internal decision timetable? Is it during mini-camp or training camp? Can the organization and fanbase (both hardcore and casual fans) wait this long? What's is the populous' 'break-even' point with this date? Is it a ploy by TT for the draft?

We'll probably never know - because as soon as Brett says "I'm returning" all will be forgiven in Packerland. Favre is the heart of the latest era of Packer football - if he retires, that streak is over. Who here would be okay with an unhappy ending with Brett and the future of the storied franchise?

I want another couple years from Brett.

Partial
04-04-2006, 09:26 PM
No, just because he is Brett Favre does not mean he gets a good team.

He does deserve a competitive team. If his team is full of fighters like him that will fight to the end, he should shut the fuck up and come back and join them for off-season lifting and be a leader.

Leaders don't pull this crap. Leaders would be down showing everyone that even though your body says you cannot do one more rep on those weights that your mind is more powerful and can carry you through. He should be teaching those people a thing or two about work ethic.

Thats why I look forward to AJ Hawk. He will be the ultimate team guy that will get his players and his unit ready to go. He will be the best and encourage the others to be better and beat him. He will bring out the best out of everyone on that defense. Something we haven't had since LeRoy retired.

Fosco33
04-04-2006, 09:36 PM
I agree with you on the Hawk comment (comparison to Butler). I've said it many times, you need a defensive 'QB' to take control and call appropriate audibles.

I agree with your definition of a leader as well - but look at Brett's time with the organization vs. time with family and ask yourself what you'd do. Here's a job offer where we pay you $10M to come to lovely Green Bay, WI on and off from April to July and full time August to January (with heavy travel requirements during the season). You get subjected to mass inquiry and people questioning your committment and work ethic after never missing a game and rarely a practice for 240 some weeks of football. But - you have a wife recovering from cancer and the likely unresolved fealings about your Dad dieing lurking behind teenage daughters to worry about.

At what point do we give Brett a break at having to be defacto 'leader' of the team with all the team outings and workouts. Can we have a guy who comes to practice when it counts, be part of team meetings and play on Sundays? I still would with Favre - at least one more year.

Partial
04-04-2006, 09:50 PM
See, but in saying that you're ignoring the fact that there are tons of other players who do this and make the same sacrifices and don't get the same treatment.

I'm a family man, and I am all for him spending time with his family. They should live in green bay in my opinion, they'd get a better education :D , but if they have to stay down there, then he should be down there for the off-season, and when it comes time for the mini-camps and lifting sessions you get up their with your teammates and be a member of the squad.

I've been a member of many teams in my day. I have also been a senior who's received preferential treatment. Teammates resent it whether they say it or not. I've also captained a team. When I was the captain, I never missed a practice or an opportunity to help a teammate, regardless of whether it was a practice or not. I set up voluntary running and lifting sessions for the team. Being a leader is a lot more than being the best or the oldest player on the team.

A leader motivates. A leader gives his teammates credit and takes the blame himself. A leader is there whenever a teammate calls him and says hey lets workout. A leader puts the team first before his leisure because they want to be good.

For someone that is demanding we field a good team this year to play, he certainly doesn't seem to be doing his part in making it better.

Someone recently made a post about player's public comments:
Henderson, Kampman, Green and Gado were all saying how expected they were about everyone being there and how "we're" getting better as a team and how "we" had such a great workout.

All I hear about of Favre and Walker's mouth lately is me me me.

I don't think it's acceptable that he workouts on his own. I understand some players do that and prefer it. That's fine. However, they're never the leader of the team. That guy lifts with his team and encourages his boys to be the best they can be.

K-town
04-06-2006, 09:46 PM
Good column by Syken here - food for thought.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/bill_syken/04/06/scorecard.daily/index.html

MJZiggy
04-06-2006, 09:56 PM
Hear, Hear!! Woodbuck, read that article.

Espn would never have posted such a thing!! They're way too busy fanning the flames.

Bretsky
04-06-2006, 10:00 PM
Partial,

Are you going to be as broken when the Packers pass Hawk up as I was last year when Green Bay drafted Aaron Rodgers insted of Odell Thurman ?

Because if the answer is yes you should start your rehab now; the Packers never take the players I want them to in round one. That streak can go all the frickin way back to Troy Vincent.

Charles Woodson
04-06-2006, 10:03 PM
Partial,

Are you going to be as broken when the Packers pass Hawk up as I was last year when Green Bay drafted Aaron Rodgers insted of Odell Thurman ?

Because if the answer is yes you should start your rehab now; the Packers never take the players I want them to in round one. That streak can go all the frickin way back to Troy Vincent.

Then maybe u should want them to take a player you dont want, then they might end up taking your guy :D

Bretsky
04-06-2006, 10:06 PM
Partial,

Then maybe u should want them to take a player you dont want, then they might end up taking your guy :D

That would be cheating the system, but it's worth a try. Draft D Ferguson !!

MJZiggy
04-06-2006, 10:14 PM
Shut up!! This might be the year they actually do what you want. Or at least make it Davis or someone we could live with having!

Bretsky
04-06-2006, 10:23 PM
Shut up!! This might be the year they actually do what you want. Or at least make it Davis or someone we could live with having!

We will see; but for the record there were a lot of 1st round rejects that the homer in me convinced myself that I could live with. Last year was truly the only pick that I vehemently opposed and the time and still do. I could live with Mandarich, but wanted Derrick Thomas at the time, I could live with Jamal Reynolds at the time, but wanted Dan Morgan, I could live with Bubba Franks, but wanted Keith Bulloch etc etc.

We will see if the string continues, but for the record, I want AJ Hawk. However, I could live with Vernon Davis or Mario Williams.

MJZiggy
04-06-2006, 10:28 PM
Fair enough.

woodbuck27
04-06-2006, 10:40 PM
Hear, Hear!! Woodbuck, read that article.

Espn would never have posted such a thing!! They're way too busy fanning the flames.

Yup! He's going to the HOF. End of the baloney.

The Favre bashing rebuttals will arrive . Just like the cavalry.

HarveyWallbangers
04-06-2006, 10:45 PM

We will see; but for the record there were a lot of 1st round rejects that the homer in me convinced myself that I could live with. Last year was truly the only pick that I vehemently opposed and the time and still do. I could live with Mandarich, but wanted Derrick Thomas at the time, I could live with Jamal Reynolds at the time, but wanted Dan Morgan, I could live with Bubba Franks, but wanted Keith Bulloch etc etc.

We will see if the string continues, but for the record, I want AJ Hawk. However, I could live with Vernon Davis or Mario Williams.

Are you trying to tell us you liked the mint player all of these years--when we took flops?

MJZiggy
04-06-2006, 10:46 PM
I KNEW you'd enjoy that.

Bretsky
04-06-2006, 10:54 PM

Are you trying to tell us you liked the mint player all of these years--when we took flops?

Of course not, but those two years I was on. I've been wrong plenty too; I sometimes overestimate players...often Badgers, such as Pete Monty, Michael Bennett, Wendall Bryant, and a DE that played for the Cardinals who was a sack machine at the UW. Can't recall the name though.

I will admit I'd have hit on just as many or more than Tom Braatz did though.

esoxx
04-06-2006, 11:17 PM
"and a DE that played for the Cardinals who was a sack machine at the UW. Can't recall the name though."

Tom Burke?

Fritz
04-08-2006, 04:42 PM
Bretsky - you'd be "okay" if we took Williams? Man, I'd be jumping for joy. We can take that Ernie Sims guy or whatever he is if you want a linebacker, or Greenway from Iowa or Carpenter from Hohio State if you want, but for crying out loud let's not pass on Williams for Hawk. You want Hawk that bad then let's trade down a couple spots, pick up another second rounder, then grab the guy.