PDA

View Full Version : Poppinga is Optimistic and TC injury forecasts.

woodbuck27
06-22-2006, 10:33 PM
Poppinga remains optimistic

Written by PackerChatters Staff

Thursday, 22 June 2006

Green Bay - Brady Poppinga might have a shot at opening the regular season on the Packers’ 53-man roster, but his chances of competing for the starting job at strong-side linebacker rest on him making a faster-than-anticipated comeback from knee reconstruction surgery.
Poppinga, a second-year pro, tore the anterior-cruciate ligament in his left knee in his first start last season, Dec. 11 against Detroit. He had reconstruction surgery later in the month.

Poppinga has set ambitious goals for his return and hopes to be doing at least some drills at the start of training camp in late July and be ready to play before the end of the preseason.

Recovery from an ACL injury usually takes eight to 12 months, and the regular-season opener in September falls in the early portion of that window for Poppinga, who will be a little less than nine months removed from surgery at that time.

But even if Poppinga is ready to play by the start of the regular season or shortly thereafter, it’s still a much bigger step for him to be practicing in all drills early enough in training camp to compete with Ben Taylor, Roy Manning and perhaps Abdul Hodge for the starting job at strong-side linebacker.

“What I say here, I can tell you whatever,” Poppinga said of his comeback. “But I’m a man of action. Actions speak louder. I feel good. Let’s go with it. I’ll show you it, come watch No. 51 out there. I’d say there’s a great chance I’ll be ready to go before many people thought it was possible, and it won’t be dangerous. I’m not going to be reckless, and I haven’t been reckless.”

Poppinga is one of seven players who missed most or all of the Packers’ offseason practices because of injuries. The others are running back Ahman Green, running back Najeh Davenport, cornerback Will Blackmon, tackle Chad Clifton, guard/tackle Adrian Klemm and halfback Arliss Beach.

Green is coming back from a torn quadriceps tendon and probably won’t be ready for full-time practice until the middle of training camp. But all signs suggest he’ll be ready for the regular-season opener.

“Absolutely,à ¢â‚¬Â coach Mike McCarthy said Wednesday after the final Packers’ 14 organized team activities practices this offseason.

Davenport, who had a metal plate and numerous pins put in his surgically repaired broken ankle in October, probably will be ready to take part in one practice a day at the start of training camp.

Blackmon sustained a broken foot at the Packers’ second minicamp and probably won’t be ready to practice until the middle of training camp at the earliest.

Both Clifton and Klemm are coming back from less severe knee injuries and probably will practice at least once a day at the start of training camp. Clifton had arthroscopic surgery on a knee earlier this spring, and Klemm sprained a knee at the Packers’ first minicamp.

Beach pulled a hamstring at the Packers’ second minicamp but should be ready for the start of training camp.

Favre talk: McCarthy said quarterback Brett Favre’s throwing arm was rounding into good shape by the end of the OTAs, and Favre’s greatest concern is getting into top physical shape before the start of training camp at the end of July.

Strength coach Rock Gullickson will visit Favre for an unspecified time within the next five weeks to work with him on conditioning.

“In the first week or two, you see a couple (impressive) throws a period,” McCarthy said of Favre’s throwing in the 3½ weeks of OTAs. “But I think the last couple practices there’s a point it gets where he’s almost showing off, he’s sticking it in there when he probably shouldn’t be. But he can. You definitely saw the ball started spinning off his hand with a lot of velocity this past week.”

Induction awards: When the Packers induct Reggie White into their Hall of Fame on July 22 at the Lambeau Field Atrium, three current players also will receive awards for their play last year.

Receiver Donald Driver was named the team’s most valuable player for 2005, safety Nick Collins its defensive rookie of the year and running back Samkon Gado its offensive rookie of the year.

Keith Jackson, a former Packer tight end, will present White for induction into the Packers Hall of Fame. White died Dec. 26, 2004.

Time off: McCarthy and the Packers’ coaching staff will work through Friday of this week, and then be on vacation until July 24.

McCarthy said he will spend much of his vacation with daughter, Alexandra, who lives in Texas.

“Iââ⠀šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ll be getting away. I don’t know if I’ll be off (work),” McCarthy said.