PDA

View Full Version : T.O. Whines About Not Getting The Ball Enough

oregonpackfan
09-29-2008, 08:16 PM
T.O no team man
7 hours ago
Loading... Must Read?Thank YouYes 169

Terrell Owens' love affair with Tony Romo and the rest of his Dallas teammates may be turning down the rocky path that his relationships with Donovan McNabb and Jeff Garcia followed. At least it seemed that way after the Cowboys lost Sunday for the first time this season.

``I'm a competitor and I want the ball,'' T.O. said after the 26-24 loss to the Redskins, ending the speculation that Dallas might emulate New England and go 16-0 this season, finishing the deal in the Super Bowl, which the Patriots didn't.

That was a silly dream. What the Patriots did was a once-in-35 years kind of thing. Moreover, as Washington demonstrated, this season's NFC East is not last year's AFC East, through which New England breezed.

But beyond that, we all know that the Cowboys' worst enemy is not the opposition, nor their slightly overrated talent level - not all 13 Pro Bowlers last year deserved it. The enemy is themselves: an owner who is also general manager who thinks of himself as a coach; a head coach laid back enough to accept input from above; and an offensive coordinator who has been effectively designated by said owner as the current coach's successor.

Plus a locker room with at least three players who were run off other teams for reasons unrelated to their talent.

So here was the most prominent and skilled of those three after Sunday's game, whining that he should have been involved in more than 20 of the 58 offensive plays the Cowboys ran against the Redskins.

Yes, he was implicating the coaching staff for not recognizing that he must be the focal point of the offense. He also was implicating Romo, the same ``friend'' he defended with tears after the unexpected playoff loss to the Giants last January, saying from behind dark glasses: ``You can point the finger at him .... and if you do that, it's really unfair. That's my teammate. My quarterback. We lost as a team.''

Funny he didn't utter the ``T as in team'' word on Sunday. The only ``T'' involved was the first initial of his first name.

First of all, give some credit to the Redskins.

Then blame Jerry Jones (``Coach Jones'' for long periods during his 20 years of ownership); coach Wade Phillips; and Jason Garrett, the offensive coordinator and head coach in waiting.

For the most obvious stat to come out of the loss was not Owens' seven catches for 71 yards; 11 yards rushing on two reverses; and 11 other plays designed for him.

It was that Marion Barber got just eight carries for 26 yards and that Felix Jones did not touch the ball from scrimmage.

Barber came in with 285 yards rushing for a 4.6 average and four touchdowns in three games. Jones, the explosive rookie, had scored in all three games and had 148 yards on 18 carries, an 8.2 average. One of the touchdowns was a 60-yard run, another a 98-yard kickoff return.

Were Jones, Phillips, Garrett and Romo catering to T.O at the expense of the running game? Were they scared of the Redskins' run defense? Washington ranked 16th in a 32-team league against the run, allowing 108 yards per game. Although to be fair, almost half those yards, 154, came in their opener against the Giants, their only loss. They improved markedly against the Saints (55 yards) and Cardinals (116).

But does that mean the Cowboys had to stop trying to run? Barber is a punishing runner who can wear down opponents in the second half and it wasn't as if they got way behind and had to throw on every play. They trailed 17-10 at the half and it was 17-17 in the third quarter.

None of this might matter in the long run. The Cowboys might finish 15-1. Or, more likely, 13-3 or 12-4 because they play in the NFL's best division.

But what happened Sunday demonstrates anarchy of a sort that doesn't afflict other good teams. Randy Moss, even more notorious as a ``me first'' receiver for his first nine NFL seasons, discovered when he got to New England last year that playing a team game can be liberating and good for your stats. His stats - a record 23 TD catches - speak to that.

T.O. seemed to have gotten that message during his first two seasons in Dallas. But Sunday's outburst is more suggestive of the kind he had weekly in San Francisco and in his second year in Philadelphia.

``Everybody recognized that I wasn't really getting the ball in the first half,'' Owens said. ``I'm pretty sure everybody watching the game recognized it, people in the stands recognized it. I think my team recognized it.''

That's the ``I'' word three times in three sentences.

Bill Belichick or Tom Coughlin or Andy Reid or Bill Parcells would end that immediately. Reid, in fact, suspended Owens in Philadelphia in 2005, and Coughlin suspended the Giants' star receiver, Plaxico Burress, when he declined to show up for practice last Monday.

Phillips doesn't have that power.

Jones brought Owens to Dallas and he also gave Phillips a third head coaching job when Parcells left after the 2006 season. By several accounts, the Tuna was tired of dealing with the distractions.

The biggest distraction is T.O.

In a season when the Cowboys remain a solid favorite to win the Super Bowl, Owens may be the reason they won't. If one loss sets him off this way, imagine what happens when Dallas inevitably loses another game or two.

In other words, the Cowboys may be the team that has the best shot of depriving the Cowboys of an NFL title.

falco
09-29-2008, 08:17 PM
i couldn't be happier

GrnBay007
09-29-2008, 08:40 PM
next thing ya know he'll be doing push ups for the reporters. :roll:

MOBB DEEP
09-29-2008, 08:43 PM
i pray driver doesnt "catch" that bug

btw, TO had 19 plays (1/3 of the teams total plays) designed for him last nite includn 2 runs - LOL

GrnBay007
09-29-2008, 08:45 PM

No way! He's too good of a guy.

I bet he called or sent Favre a text last night to give him congrats. I really enjoyed watching those two play together.

MOBB DEEP
09-29-2008, 08:49 PM

No way! He's too good of a guy.

I bet he called or sent Favre a text last night to give him congrats. I really enjoyed watching those two play together.

yeah watchn those two was orgasmic

no doubt DD is too classy (wonder what guys like him think in private tho since they're obviously competitive)

falco
09-29-2008, 08:56 PM
it would be nice to see driver catch something

Bretsky
09-29-2008, 08:59 PM

would also be nice for him to have more opportunities to do so

falco
09-29-2008, 09:00 PM

bah, favre made driver...we're just starting to see that now

:P

MOBB DEEP
09-29-2008, 09:03 PM

:P

WHOA...

cpk1994
09-29-2008, 09:14 PM

:PNah, but Favre did make Bill Shroeder. I think Favre wants that one back though. :P

BF4MVP
09-29-2008, 09:14 PM
Doesn't surprise me at all...This is what TO does..

falco
09-29-2008, 09:15 PM
bill schroeder can drive a golf ball 415 yards

BZnDallas
09-29-2008, 09:21 PM
i can't tell ya'll how much i would love it if TO destroyed this cowbitch team!!!... i'd get to watch from the front row!!!... and get to tell all the people i've been telling down here in dallas, "I TOLD YOU SOOOOO!!!!"... would be very sweet... this is the only way i root for "that player" as the tuna called him... HAHAHA

Zool
09-29-2008, 09:33 PM
Lets not forget Corey "Stone Hands" Bradford. Guy can outrun a cheetah but when he got his hands on a football it looked like he was trying to catch an eel in white water rapids.

Pacopete4
09-29-2008, 09:34 PM
it'l all be gravy in 3 weeks when they are 5-1, 6-1 and he's catchin TD after TD

MadtownPacker
09-29-2008, 09:45 PM
All the cowpukes fans where I live are very concerned about owens bringin the whole house down. Most dont even think he is a real cowboy, and instead see hm as a mercenary of sorts.

gbgary
09-29-2008, 09:55 PM
i don't like the guy either but you had to hear the interview. reporters kept asking the same question in a lot of different ways until they got him to say what they wanted. it was shocking. he didn't complain at all.

MOBB DEEP
09-29-2008, 10:16 PM
i don't like the guy either but you had to hear the interview. reporters kept asking the same question in a lot of different ways until they got him to say what they wanted. it was shocking. he didn't complain at all.

good nfo

Carolina_Packer
09-29-2008, 11:50 PM
T.O.=Team Obliterator

mraynrand
09-30-2008, 12:09 AM
T.O. whines and flaps his gums when he loses. He whines and flaps his gums when he wins. That's T.O. Nothing new to see here. Move along.

BZnDallas
09-30-2008, 07:41 AM

hey gbgary... i haven't listened to the interview in full, so i suppose the media could have taken it out of context or kept asking him the same questin over and over again... i'm guessing you watched the packer and cowbitch game?.. did you see TO over on the sidelines i'm guessing sometime late in the 3rd or in the 4th quarter?... cowbitches were up big and hes sitting on the bench with nobody around pouting... and he has the nerve to say 'but did you see my hussle plays?'... the ticking has started and its only a matter of time before the bomb blows up... I HOPE!!!

MadScientist
09-30-2008, 01:00 PM
Go TO! Stand up for your rights. Let the world know what you think, especially when you think your team is not doing right by TO. :lol:

cpk1994
09-30-2008, 04:17 PM
T.O.=Team ObliteratorAre you Skip Bayless? :)

packerbacker1234
09-30-2008, 04:55 PM
WE'RE 3-1, BUT WE WONT WIN IF I DON'T GET THE BALL!

of course, they ptu the ball to you 17 times, you had two runs, 7 catches, a TD, and YOU LOST.

Week prior? 2 catches, 17 yards, and a WIN. T.O. better watch himself or this is philly all over again. Guess what T.O., the team CAN win without you. You can't win without them (in life or on the field). You had better go back to Romo loving or you will see the door.

BobDobbs
09-30-2008, 05:32 PM
I know that we can always hope, but this is probably not the beginning of self destruction for the Cowboys. They are built on big egos and Romo is not nearly as thin skinned as McNabb was/is. TO will always be a loudmouth, but that team is a team you can be that on. They are pretty talented and healthy, if they win next week he'll be fine.

cpk1994
09-30-2008, 05:58 PM
But its not about TO, its about the team. Just ask TO himself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNO6On7cK1M

:)

gbgary
09-30-2008, 09:40 PM

hey gbgary... i haven't listened to the interview in full, so i suppose the media could have taken it out of context or kept asking him the same questin over and over again... i'm guessing you watched the packer and cowbitch game?.. did you see TO over on the sidelines i'm guessing sometime late in the 3rd or in the 4th quarter?... cowbitches were up big and hes sitting on the bench with nobody around pouting... and he has the nerve to say 'but did you see my hussle plays?'... the ticking has started and its only a matter of time before the bomb blows up... I HOPE!!!

the Pack took him out of that game and when asked after the game about his very limited roll in it he said he wasn't going to complain if they were winning. that set up the post-game questions for sundays game. even though he was directly involved in 18 plays, of their 20 minutes of total offense, the locker room interviewers kept on and on until they got him to say what they wanted. what he said was actually pretty benign. there's been a firestorm since. i'm a cowboy hater of the highest order and a cowboy implosion would make me super happy, by the way. i don't understand how some of the media here have tried to actually manufacture a crisis on their very good home team.

channtheman
09-30-2008, 09:51 PM
I really hope TO rips the Cowboys to shreds this year. I had thought he had changed but it appears that he possibly hasn't and won't ever change. Nevertheless, I love that he might develop into a pill for the Cowboys.

BZnDallas
09-30-2008, 10:18 PM

the Pack took him out of that game and when asked after the game about his very limited roll in it he said he wasn't going to complain if they were winning. that set up the post-game questions for sundays game. even though he was directly involved in 18 plays, of their 20 minutes of total offense, the locker room interviewers kept on and on until they got him to say what they wanted. what he said was actually pretty benign. there's been a firestorm since. i'm a cowboy hater of the highest order and a cowboy implosion would make me super happy, by the way. i don't understand how some of the media here have tried to actually manufacture a crisis on their very good home team.

gbgary i can dig what you are saying, but to me actions speak lounder than words... did you happen to see that part of the game i asked you about earlier?... TO was the focal point in a 1/3 of their plays (20 actually, 18 passes and 2 rushes) this past sunday, so obviously getting him the ball doesn't equal wins...

this whole thing may be a media storm created mostly by the uhhh media, lol, but to say TO hasn't had something to do with it is a lil ... (i'll let you find the word)... when you come out one week and talk about your hussle plays and not needing the ball for your team to win, then the next week say your team would win if the ball was in your hands more, does that not seem a bit strange to you?... even if the media kept on and on, tell them you've answered that question and move on... don't give them what they want!!! is this making any sense at all?...

remember he had a couple good years in philly before trashing the coach and qb... and we are approaching that with the cowbitches!!... whatever happens i hope it is trainwreck TV!!! especially with the new stadium getting ready to open... couldn't be any better