PDA

View Full Version : I'm glad the USA lost, now GO AWAY SOCCER

Reggie 92
06-23-2006, 05:00 AM
I consider myself above average in terms of being patriotic, but I'm glad the US lost. In fact, I think it's patriotic to HATE SOCCER!! There's a reason soccer has never and will never matter here in America (In terms of interest in professional sports, I realize it's very popular among children). Maybe we can all finally stop hearing about this subpar, boring, piece of crap sport.

What a treat it's been to have been force fed the non-stop images of Nigerians, Iranians, etc. running around without purpose for 80 minutes only to end in a 0-0 tie.

HarveyWallbangers
06-23-2006, 07:43 AM
The Nigerians didn't make the World Cup. I like soccer on the highest level. Soccer is slowly becoming more popular here. It will never surpass the big 3 or 4 sports, but I wouldn't be surprised if it continues to grow in popularity. MLS attendance is now around 18,000/game. The league is slowly growing in quality. The new "David Beckham exception" will likely bring some good exposure, as Beckham, Ronaldo, and Borgetti are good candidates to play in MLS--and before they are completely over the hill. Despite their effort in this World Cup, the USA soccer program has slowly gotten better. Their youth teams have been doing very well. NASCAR wasn't very popular about 10-15 years ago, and now it's off the charts. I see a lot more support for soccer, and it likely will continue to grow. The one thing MLS is missing is a couple of true American superstars. They need a home grown Pele. Freddie Adu isn't that guy.

BTW, soccer doesn't need universal appeal to make it here. They aren't looking to convert folks like you. There's a lot of people that can't stand NASCAR, but it's huge.

Partial
06-23-2006, 08:28 AM
Yeah man, with all due respect, that was pretty cool getting behind the US and hoping they'd pull it off. I agree with Harv in the sentiment that the USA is improving and growing rapidly here.

It would have been nice to win our group. For once we would have gotten some good press in the rest of the world, and I thikn that would have been reallly beneficial.

4 years ago, I wouldn't have been able to tell you anything about the world cup or even when it was until it was underway. This year, a ton more people knew it was coming and got into it. I attribute that to our performance four years ago. I think even more people will be into it the next time, since this tournament was so dissapointing.

Overall, nothing bad comes from soccer growing over here. It's one of those things we should hope we're good at because of the international politics involved with it!

HarveyWallbangers
06-23-2006, 09:38 AM
Yeah, how mint would it be have the USA be a soccer power? There'd be a lot of mad Frenchmen.
:D

jack's smirking revenge
06-23-2006, 09:40 AM
In fact, I think it's patriotic to HATE SOCCER!!

With all due respect Reggie 92, I think this is the most asinine statement I've ever read. I grew up with soccer while stationed in Europe on a United States Military base. It is the biggest sport in the world, like it or not. Thus, it is equally patriotic to LOVE SOCCER.

tyler

ny10804
06-23-2006, 09:44 AM
http://webpages.acs.ttu.edu/charshey/pics/ThisThreadSucks.jpg

red
06-23-2006, 10:13 AM
i posted this in the world cup thread and i'll post it here.

espn.com had a poll up a week ago asking what was the more interesting event. the world cup, nba finals, or us open. after over 120,000 votes the world cup was leading by more then 10%

soccer is catching on in the us, like it or not

ahaha
06-23-2006, 10:47 AM
SOCCER, SOCCER, SOCCER! High flying! Low scoring! Ties....YOU BET!

For a sport that makes it so hard to score in regular play, they sure make it easy on penalty kicks. And all those offsides penalties are MADDENING!
WTF! :shock:

Harlan Huckleby
06-23-2006, 10:51 AM
For a sport that makes it so hard to score in regular play, they sure make it easy on penalty kicks. And all those offsides penalties are MADDENING!
WTF! :shock:

Fixing scoring problem is simple: just make the goalies play in hip waders.
That's yankee ingenuity.

bbbffl66
06-23-2006, 11:23 AM
How unpatriotic is it to be glad the ungerdog- Ghana- won? Isn't it American to root for the little guy?

SD GB fan
06-23-2006, 11:26 AM
US soccer is overrated. #5 in the world my ass. hope they learned something and come back next 4, 8, or 20 years

jack's smirking revenge
06-23-2006, 11:55 AM
US soccer is overrated. #5 in the world my ass. hope they learned something and come back next 4, 8, or 20 years

Very true. Here's to 2010.

tyler

HarveyWallbangers
06-23-2006, 12:19 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't expect a lot of support for soccer on an NFL board. However, I think as much as anything, soccer has become sort of an "in" sport. Like NASCAR. I know folks that watch the EPL matches on Fox Sports, and follow the other European leagues. They are genuinely interested in the national team. They'd love for the MLS to be a quality league. Loads of people are interested, but there will be many that will never like it. Don't worry. It will never surpass the superior sport of American football. Football will always be #1 in my book, but I have no shame for watching NASCAR, baseball, basketball, golf, tennis, and even soccer.
:D

Zool
06-23-2006, 12:22 PM
This debate seems to come up every 4 years. Soccer interest spikes during the world cup then dies down again till the next one. Its almost like its the Olympics.

Row 67
06-23-2006, 12:31 PM
I wish they'd put some World Cup on prime-time regular television. I could care less about MLS, but I love watching nearly all kinds of high-level competition athletics, if not simply to appreciate the tremendous skill of the athletes. I'm continually amazed that those guys can kick a ball right out of midair, send it 60 yards almost within feet of another player, who can bring that ball down out of the air with his head and body, and drop that ball right down onto the ground in front of his feet and have immediate control of it. And the conditioning of those guys- most of them play, run, the whole game!

Whether you like it or not as a spectator sport, its probably the #1 sport in America by participation among kids under 16. Just about every park in the country has organized leagues going on every evening, all summer.

Anti-Polar Bear
06-23-2006, 12:44 PM
http://webpages.acs.ttu.edu/charshey/pics/ThisThreadSucks.jpg

I can honestly say that guy is on the COLDPLAY "God Put a Smile Upon Your Face" music video.

SkinBasket
06-23-2006, 12:54 PM
This debate seems to come up every 4 years. Soccer interest spikes during the world cup then dies down again till the next one. Its almost like its the Olympics.

Actually the real interest stays the same over the years between WCs. It's only when uneducated tools click on ESPN hoping to see the day's 4th rerun of Sportscenter and get a live soccer match instead that they get confused, then angry, then start criticizing the sport they know nothing about, the US team which includes zero players they can name, and the rules that they don't know or understand.

It's not helpful when we have a sports media that jumped all over the US team after their first loss when they know nothing about the team, nothing about the Czeck team (or any other national team for that matter), and very little about the sport in general. Yet as soon as something bad happens, suddenly every sports writer is a soccer expert and labels the US team as a disappointment and overrated.

retailguy
06-23-2006, 02:46 PM
i posted this in the world cup thread and i'll post it here.

espn.com had a poll up a week ago asking what was the more interesting event. the world cup, nba finals, or us open. after over 120,000 votes the world cup was leading by more then 10%

soccer is catching on in the us, like it or not

Us football fans ought to sue, shouldn't we Red?

Tony Oday
06-23-2006, 03:05 PM
Im not a huge fan of soccer but will watch once every four years but I dont like us being ranked high. Why werent we the cinderella story again :) hehe

But really we will more than likely never win a WC because of the officiating. WE will keep getting screwed like the BS PK and the TWO red cards in the Italy match BS BS BS!!!!!

Run2win38
06-23-2006, 03:06 PM
HarveyWallbangers wrote:

"soccer has become sort of an "in" sport. Like NASCAR."

I dunno HW - if you like soccer - hope that it doesn't become an "in" sport like Nascar if that means gettin all commercial and stuff. Lot a racin fans long for the old days when Nascar was pretty much confined to ESPN and drivers and mechanics ran the show - not Networks and Mega sponsers. If soccer can catch on and grab a solid fan base without all the glitter - then good for it!

PS - careful about callin Nascar a sport - it gets Tank and Bretsky edgy

Charlie Moore had a great arm didn't he

Zool
06-23-2006, 03:54 PM

Actually the real interest stays the same over the years between WCs. It's only when uneducated tools click on ESPN hoping to see the day's 4th rerun of Sportscenter and get a live soccer match instead that they get confused, then angry, then start criticizing the sport they know nothing about, the US team which includes zero players they can name, and the rules that they don't know or understand.

It's not helpful when we have a sports media that jumped all over the US team after their first loss when they know nothing about the team, nothing about the Czeck team (or any other national team for that matter), and very little about the sport in general. Yet as soon as something bad happens, suddenly every sports writer is a soccer expert and labels the US team as a disappointment and overrated.

Ha well put. A bit gloomy but probably accurate.

More to the point I was trying to make is this forum for example. If its still around 4 years from now there will be a soccer(futbol) thread or 2, but not 1 for the 3+ years in between. US sports fans are fickle. Its all about instant gratification. I include myself in that statement.

mmmdk
06-23-2006, 04:17 PM
I consider myself above average in terms of being patriotic, but I'm glad the US lost.

I'd say that the Una-bomber dude rated himself 10 out of 10...YOU CAN'T RATE PATRIOTISM - well, unless you got a mind like the Una - bomber who believe he was protecting America/the world vs technology. Actually, a patriotic act yet the bombings were very, very wrong doings.

In fact, I think it's patriotic to HATE SOCCER!!

Being a patriot is about LOVE for your country, not hating other countries/sports. You can even feel patriotic about other countries than your own.

There's a reason soccer has never and will never matter here in America (In terms of interest in professional sports, I realize it's very popular among children). Maybe we can all finally stop hearing about this subpar, boring, piece of crap sport.

Soccer matters in the US - a lot - but football will always be # 1 with me and that's from a half Euro guy. Football is getting very popular in Denmark & many other European countries. I mean, I get 2 (sometimes 3) live NFL games each week during the season plus I get EVERY single playoff game (live too). And it's a Danish channel with our own competent commentators.

What a treat it's been to have been force fed the non-stop images of Nigerians, Iranians, etc. running around without purpose for 80 minutes only to end in a 0-0 tie.

Open your window...there IS a world outside Disneyland. Goodday Sir!

HarveyWallbangers
06-23-2006, 04:46 PM
If there was a soccer thread, I'd post. I wish Tarlam would start one. He could tell us who was doing well in Europe--especially the Americans. He could also keep me up to date on my favorite teams, Newcastle United, Schalke, Inter Milan, and even DC United.

Rastak
06-23-2006, 05:39 PM
I consider myself above average in terms of being patriotic, but I'm glad the US lost. In fact, I think it's patriotic to HATE SOCCER!! There's a reason soccer has never and will never matter here in America (In terms of interest in professional sports, I realize it's very popular among children). Maybe we can all finally stop hearing about this subpar, boring, piece of crap sport.

It isn't over dummy, and I won't stop watching.

RashanGary
06-23-2006, 05:49 PM
I'll ecco the pro-soccer sentiment here. I've watched a few games here and there and it is IMO just as impressive, compeititive and enjoyable as any other sport that I've watched.

I think Soccer will continue to grow. I think the game can compete with anything we have going now.

Bretsky
06-23-2006, 06:00 PM
Soccer bores me to death, but if I have to watch it I'd take the bouncing gals over the guys any day.

Last time I watched soccer was the UW Women's run with Mia Ham and the Chestane Lady. Remember it vividly because after I tore my ACL I was in and out of sleep with rotating Vicodin and Ibuprofin and waking up with knee pain every two hours so I ended up watching some of the games starting at 4 in the morning or so.

But in reality, I'd rather watch ping pong, bowling, and just about everyting else before attempting to get through a soccer game.

I'll be a happier guy when the World Cup is done so I don't have to hear about it on ESPN.

B

GrnBay007
06-23-2006, 06:24 PM
I personally don't care to watch soccer. However, it will be interesting to see how it develops in future years in the US. My experience and most of what I've heard with the children's soccer league in this city is they are similar to a "cult" If you don't buy into everything they abide/believe in you are frowned upon. It's very clickish. I know all kid's sports are that way to an extent because of the parents but soccer seems to be worse than other team sports here.

It's fun to hear the Dad's that support Pop Warner football trash-talk their buddies who's wives made the kids play soccer and won't let them play football.

-

Viking Troll43
06-23-2006, 08:23 PM
Let me first state that I HATE soccer. Would rather be a Packer Fan :wink: than a soccer fan. Have not! Will Not! Could not! Watch 1 minute of that boring fiasco.
With that said, back in my football days we played a game of sandlot tackle football with some players from a local college soccer team and I have to say that those are some tuff dudes. (still fairies) but tuff!

Now Australian Rules Football is the bomb!

HarveyWallbangers
06-23-2006, 09:13 PM
I personally don't care to watch soccer. However, it will be interesting to see how it develops in future years in the US. My experience and most of what I've heard with the children's soccer league in this city is they are similar to a "cult" If you don't buy into everything they abide/believe in you are frowned upon. It's very clickish. I know all kid's sports are that way to an extent because of the parents but soccer seems to be worse than other team sports here.

I never played soccer, but all sports are like that nowadays. Worst thing that happened with youth sports is getting the parents involved. Back in my day a kid could play sports and be a kid. His parents would show up occasionally, maybe for the playoffs. Now parents, and their bad attitudes about little Johnny and how good he really is, have ruined it. There's politics, bad sportsmanship, pressure on the kids, etc. Do me a favor and quit going to all of your kids games. Little Johnny at age 9 doesn't need you there for ever game. You're not a bad parent if you don't show up to every game.

No Mo Moss
06-24-2006, 01:45 AM

I couldn't agree more. Its painful to listen to those assholes on PTI and ESPN radio try and talk about it.

No Mo Moss
06-24-2006, 01:47 AM

Ha well put. A bit gloomy but probably accurate.

More to the point I was trying to make is this forum for example. If its still around 4 years from now there will be a soccer(futbol) thread or 2, but not 1 for the 3+ years in between. US sports fans are fickle. Its all about instant gratification. I include myself in that statement.

There has been many soccer threads in the romper room. Most recently the Champions league finals were discussed. I'l start one when the English clubs start up in Aug.

No Mo Moss
06-24-2006, 01:54 AM
Let me first state that I HATE soccer. Would rather be a Packer Fan :wink: than a soccer fan. Have not! Will Not! Could not! Watch 1 minute of that boring fiasco.
With that said, back in my football days we played a game of sandlot tackle football with some players from a local college soccer team and I have to say that those are some tuff dudes. (still fairies) but tuff!

Now Australian Rules Football is the bomb!

See that is just dumb. How can you not like watching something that you have never watched? What have you formed your opinion on? The great thing about soccer is that it only needs people to be exposed to it to get hooked. Sit someone time in front of a world cup final and chances are they will really enjoy it.

I love the bucks, brewers etc.. but the only sport in the world more worth watching than soccer is the NFL. Baseball is the most boring game ever created, and the NBA... talk about refs controlling the outcome. Its pretty much the WWE now.

You can tell that soccer is growing, just listen to the outrage about the loss.

GrnBay007
06-24-2006, 12:51 PM
I never played soccer, but all sports are like that nowadays. Worst thing that happened with youth sports is getting the parents involved. Back in my day a kid could play sports and be a kid. His parents would show up occasionally, maybe for the playoffs. Now parents, and their bad attitudes about little Johnny and how good he really is, have ruined it. There's politics, bad sportsmanship, pressure on the kids, etc. Do me a favor and quit going to all of your kids games. Little Johnny at age 9 doesn't need you there for ever game. You're not a bad parent if you don't show up to every game.

Harv, I agree parents have gotten too involved in youth sports, but when I say that I dont' mean they've gotten too involved by going to the games and watching and supporting their children. That's completely different than the manipulating that goes on by parents as well as some of them screaming at their kids from the stands and yelling at the refs/umps. Read the Little League baseball rules for parents and players.......they have the right idea but it seems they don't enforce it like they should.

True story and just makes me sick. A co-worker of mine has evidence his son's coach wanted (and did) have his two sons on the team throw a game in the end of the year tournament. They wanted to lose the first game because they knew they would stand no chance playing the next team they would be up against. They wanted to be in the consolation bracket, where they would stand a good chance to come in first and get trophies for the boys.

It just blows my mind there are parent's out there teaching their kids that this type of behavior is ok. And we wonder why so many professional athletes out there are such spoiled, egotistical assholes. ....they've had years of experience and tought this behavior directly by their parents.

Well I'm off to watch my son play his tourney game. They will most likely lose going up against the #2 team but at least their coach will pump the kids up to make a good effort. :D

HarveyWallbangers
06-24-2006, 01:20 PM
Harv, I agree parents have gotten too involved in youth sports, but when I say that I dont' mean they've gotten too involved by going to the games and watching and supporting their children. That's completely different than the manipulating that goes on by parents as well as some of them screaming at their kids from the stands and yelling at the refs/umps. Read the Little League baseball rules for parents and players.......they have the right idea but it seems they don't enforce it like they should.

True story and just makes me sick. A co-worker of mine has evidence his son's coach wanted (and did) have his two sons on the team throw a game in the end of the year tournament. They wanted to lose the first game because they knew they would stand no chance playing the next team they would be up against. They wanted to be in the consolation bracket, where they would stand a good chance to come in first and get trophies for the boys.

It just blows my mind there are parent's out there teaching their kids that this type of behavior is ok. And we wonder why so many professional athletes out there are such spoiled, egotistical assholes. ....they've had years of experience and tought this behavior directly by their parents.

Well I'm off to watch my son play his tourney game. They will most likely lose going up against the #2 team but at least their coach will pump the kids up to make a good effort. :D

Well, it's fine to go to the games, but you have to ask yourself "does my son or daughter want me there this much." Personally, growing up, I didn't like my parents there (I played baseball, basketball, football, and tennis) because I found myself distracted. I'd rather they come, but not tell me. Also, there are a ton more parents that set bad examples than anybody would care to admit. I don't think there's been too many youth games that I've gone to in the last 10 years where there weren't parents griping about calls, griping about their kids playing time, or generally setting a bad example.

Not only did I play youth sports, but I've coached them and I've officiated their games. I didn't find it too bad for me when I coached or officiated because I was competent at both, but I saw many officials and coaches getting the business from parents. Oftentimes, they were doing a competent job. (Hell, the professional umps and coaches make mistakes. What can you expect out of a guy or gal doing it part-time.) Personally, if given the choice between having all parents there every game or never having parents there, I'd choose the second. That's just my perspective. I'd venture to guess that there are a lot of kids who fill the same way.

I know I'll ask my daughter if she wants me there, and if she wants me there, I'll go out of my way to help the coach and not gripe about the officials. Those folks are just doing their job. A lot of them don't get paid or get paid squat, so they don't deserve to hear me griping.

Rastak
06-25-2006, 12:00 AM

Reggie, let me just say this....sorry for calling you a dummy. I only overreact because the rest of the world thinks we are morons and I HATE it when an american proves them right.

Bretsky
06-25-2006, 12:03 AM

Reggie, let me just say this....sorry for calling you a dummy. I only overreact because the rest of the world thinks we are morons and I HATE it when an american proves them right.

WHOya calling a dummy Rastak. Aint's ya a Viking fan :mrgreen: :wink: