PDA

View Full Version : Students Confess To Hanging Obama in Effigy

oregonpackfan
10-01-2008, 10:12 AM
Four George Fox students confessed to hanging a life-sized cutout of Barrack Obama from a tree on George Fox University grounds in Newberg, Oregon last week. At the bottom of the cutout read the sign "Act Six Reject."

The Act Six Reject is a scholarship program directed towards Portland minority students--most of them African-American.

The small university of 3,300 was originally founded by the Quakers. It has evolved into a conservative, evangelical Christian college in recent years. Almost all of the students are white.

The four students were suspended from the school for a year. They will be allowed to re-enroll after they have provided community service.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2008/09/four_george_fox_students_confe.html

mraynrand
10-01-2008, 12:16 PM
Four George Fox students confessed to hanging a life-sized cutout of Barrack Obama from a tree on George Fox University grounds in Newberg, Oregon last week. At the bottom of the cutout read the sign "Act Six Reject."

The Act Six Reject is a scholarship program directed towards Portland minority students--most of them African-American.

The small university of 3,300 was originally founded by the Quakers. It has evolved into a conservative, evangelical Christian college in recent years. Almost all of the students are white.

The four students were suspended from the school for a year. They will be allowed to re-enroll after they have provided community service.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2008/09/four_george_fox_students_confe.html

Idiots. Maybe they can do community service for ACORN. It would be sweet justice if they had to work for the same fraudulent community group that supports Obama, may he be praised.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110009189

"Acorn and its affiliates have pulled some real stunts in recent years. In Ohio in 2004, a worker for one affiliate was given crack cocaine in exchange for fraudulent registrations that included underage voters, dead voters and pillars of the community named Mary Poppins, Dick Tracy and Jive Turkey. During a Congressional hearing in Ohio in the aftermath of the 2004 election, officials from several counties in the state explained Acorn's practice of dumping thousands of registration forms in their lap on the submission deadline, even though the forms had been collected months earlier."

sheepshead
10-01-2008, 12:20 PM
There arent enough pixels on here to cut and paste all the GWB crap thats been done. Hell, Palins kids. This isnt even worth the time in comparison.

texaspackerbacker
10-01-2008, 12:31 PM
These "perpetrators" will land on their feet. Having this little expression of free speech on their resumes will help them in a lot of venues.

hoosier
10-01-2008, 12:45 PM
These "perpetrators" will land on their feet. Having this little expression of free speech on their resumes will help them in a lot of venues.

Gee, if I didn't know better I'd almost think you were relishing that possibility.

HowardRoark
10-01-2008, 12:47 PM

Idiots. Maybe they can do community service for ACORN. It would be sweet justice if they had to work for the same fraudulent community group that supports Obama, may he be praised.

"Acorn and its affiliates have pulled some real stunts in recent years. In Ohio in 2004, a worker for one affiliate was given crack cocaine in exchange for fraudulent registrations that included underage voters, dead voters and pillars of the community named Mary Poppins, Dick Tracy and Jive Turkey. During a Congressional hearing in Ohio in the aftermath of the 2004 election, officials from several counties in the state explained Acorn's practice of dumping thousands of registration forms in their lap on the submission deadline, even though the forms had been collected months earlier."

And who is it that gives to ACORN? Corporate fat cats.....Wall Street Greed!!!!

The top four donors to these 527 groups in the last Presidential election cycle (2004) were Soros, Peter Lewis of Progressive Insurance, Steven Bing, and Herbert and Marion Sandler . Collectively they gave 78 million dollars to left-leaning 527 groups. That was just in 2004. They have become much more ambitious over the last few years.

Soros, Lewis, and the Sandlers form a core group of billionaire activists and Democrat partisans who have formed a group called The Democracy Alliance. They realized that they could magnify their power by working in unison and tapping other wealthy donors to further their agenda (the superb Boston Globe article "Follow the money" is a good primer on how money and 527 groups have come together to have a huge impact on politics in America).

The Democracy Alliance is a major avenue to help them achieve their goals. The roster of its growing membership consists of a list of billionaires and mere multi-millionaires who collectively hope to give upwards of 500 million dollars each year to further promote a left-wing agenda. A partial roster of the Democracy Alliance membership can be found here.

Half a billion dollars a year can purchase a great deal of influence.

The Sandlers certainly know quite a bit about leverage from their savings and loan days.

Among the beneficiaries of their largesse: Air America, ACORN (a group that has very close and long lasting ties to Barack Obama and has a long history of engaging in voter fraud. Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (basically a private detective group focused on the private faults and foibles of Republicans), Media Matters, a media watchdog group that engages in harsh partisan attacks against media figures and articles it considers supportive of Republicans). The list goes on and on.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2008/09/how_allies_of_george_soros_hel.html

texaspackerbacker
10-01-2008, 01:19 PM

Gee, if I didn't know better I'd almost think you were relishing that possibility.

What makes you think you know better?

If these perps are not merely pranksters, then these guys are PATRIOTS--making a POLITICAL STATEMENT, as, of course, is their Constitutional Right--just like when the American-haters of your side, Hoosier, do things like burning flags.

Expressing disrespect for a disrespecter of America, in my book, is a good and patriotic thing to do. I'm sure you see that differently, though, don't you, Hoosier? Disrespect for America is good; Hanging effiegies of those trying to bring America down, that's a bad thing--if you're a sick leftist, anyway.

hoosier
10-01-2008, 01:30 PM

If these perps are not merely pranksters, then these guys are PATRIOTS--making a POLITICAL STATEMENT, as, of course, is their Constitutional Right--just like when the American-haters of your side, Hoosier, do things like burning flags.

Expressing disrespect for a disrespecter of America, in my book, is a good and patriotic thing to do. I'm sure you see that differently, though, don't you, Hoosier? Disrespect for America is good; Hanging effiegies of those trying to bring America down, that's a bad thing--if you're a sick leftist, anyway.

What these kids did was not a political statement at all, it was an unmistakable reference to the racist tradition of lynching, something that no politician or political group could afford to associate with today. Ayn Rand tries to relativize it by pointing to alleged corruption of Obama supporters (as if the two crimes were some how comparable), and you try to spin it by calling it "hanging in effigy." Your "hanging those trying to bring America down" was the same justification used by those who liked to hang blacks for real. Is that your cultural heritage?

texaspackerbacker
10-01-2008, 01:44 PM

What these kids did was not a political statement at all, it was an unmistakable reference to the racist tradition of lynching, something that no politician or political group could afford to associate with today. Ayn Rand tries to relativize it by pointing to alleged corruption of Obama supporters (as if the two crimes were some how comparable), and you try to spin it by calling it "hanging in effigy." Your "hanging those trying to bring America down" was the same justification used by those who liked to hang blacks for real. Is that your cultural heritage?

That is the maliciously false connotation of this that you and other leftist extremists who support Obama are promoting. Has their "confession" included anything "racist"? Do you have any evidence whatsoever of anything racist?

This is condemnation of an extreme leftist anti-American politician, pure and simple--every bit as much Constitutionally protected POLITICAL expression as when the filthy American-hating assholes of your side burned American flags and did similarly vile things, and got away with it as "political expression". I suppose you thought that was OK.

hoosier
10-01-2008, 02:12 PM

That is the maliciously false connotation of this that you and other leftist extremists who support Obama are promoting. Has their "confession" included anything "racist"? Do you have any evidence whatsoever of anything racist?

This is condemnation of an extreme leftist anti-American politician, pure and simple--every bit as much Constitutionally protected POLITICAL expression as when the filthy American-hating assholes of your side burned American flags and did similarly vile things, and got away with it as "political expression". I suppose you thought that was OK.

Yeah, I guess you're right, it's probably just a coincidence that the hanging of an image of Obama from a tree bears such a resemblance to lynching. Just like it's a coincidence that the hangers also referred to a minority recruitment program. What fair-minded person could possibly conclude they don't like blacks? It's much more likely that they were just denigrating a political opponent. I know I have seven or eight images of John McCain hanging in my backyard.

Zool
10-01-2008, 02:15 PM
The other day I saw someone with a Jewish figurine in their back yard building a pyramid. Tex you cant play dumb for ever. That was very specifically a racist statement.

mraynrand
10-01-2008, 02:28 PM

I didn't relativize anything. What is it other than hanging (or even lynching) in effigy? pretty awful - and I called them idiots. I do think that considering they were suspended and given community service it would be justice to force them to work for a corrupt community activist group. What community work would you have them do? . Doesn't the left celebrate when reformed drug users go and talk to the youth about the hazards of drug use? Perhaps after their punishment in whatever community service, these recovering racists can outreach to members of the Trinity church, Obama willing.

Kiwon
10-01-2008, 07:22 PM
..conservative..evangelical..Christian..white.

The absolute bane of society....right, OPF? :roll:

MJZiggy
10-01-2008, 07:29 PM

When they start hanging representations of public figures from trees in a manner that suggests historical lynching, maybe...

bobblehead
10-01-2008, 07:32 PM
These idiots do a disservice to all the leftists that do this kind of thing and try to blame "rascist conservatives". By actually being rascist conservatives they damage the 87% statistic.

falco
10-01-2008, 07:57 PM
These idiots do a disservice to all the leftists that do this kind of thing and try to blame "rascist conservatives". By actually being rascist conservatives they damage the 87% statistic.

it was bound to happen sooner or later, neither side is immune to idiocy

texaspackerbacker
10-01-2008, 08:15 PM
OK, suppose we play your silly game and label these haters of America-haters as racist.

Do racists somehow now NOT have the same Constitutional rights as anybody else--specifically, the same rights as DESPICABLE ASSHOLES WHO BURN THE AMERICAN FLAG IN GESTURES OF HATE FOR THIS COUNTRY? IMHO, that--the flag burning--is a thousand times worse.

I STILL haven't heard any evidence that these hangers of effigies had racist motivations. This STILL is just a smokescreen by Obamaphiles to cover over the FACT that their pet candidate is so eminently HATEABLE.

MJZiggy
10-01-2008, 08:18 PM
You can't possibly be that blind, Tex. It's just not possible.

falco
10-01-2008, 08:26 PM
OK, suppose we play your silly game and label these haters of America-haters as racist.

Do racists somehow now NOT have the same Constitutional rights as anybody else--specifically, the same rights as DESPICABLE ASSHOLES WHO BURN THE AMERICAN FLAG IN GESTURES OF HATE FOR THIS COUNTRY? IMHO, that--the flag burning--is a thousand times worse.

I STILL haven't heard any evidence that these hangers of effigies had racist motivations. This STILL is just a smokescreen by Obamaphiles to cover over the FACT that their pet candidate is so eminently HATEABLE.

this is just like the civil rights movement, which according to tex was a bunch of whites trying to stir up trouble amongst perfectly happy subjugated blacks :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Kiwon
10-01-2008, 08:26 PM

When they start hanging representations of public figures from trees in a manner that suggests historical lynching, maybe...

But noted photographer Jill Greenberg's work is just fine, right?

http://www.nypost.com/seven/09162008/photos/new08.jpghttp://www.nypost.com/seven/09162008/photos/new08a.jpg

MJZiggy
10-01-2008, 08:29 PM
Dunno, has it been hung in a public place to suggest racial violence against the subject?

falco
10-01-2008, 08:33 PM
it's important understand the historical connotation of a lynching

the saddest story for me is the all too common occurrence of black veterans of world war 1 being hung in their uniforms upon returning home

in fact, its terrible to see this symbol politicized on either side of the aisle, if i may say so

Tyrone Bigguns
10-01-2008, 08:35 PM

That is true. Unlike many sectors of the economy, white power groups are in a major hiring mode.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-01-2008, 08:44 PM

http://www.nypost.com/seven/09162008/photos/new08.jpghttp://www.nypost.com/seven/09162008/photos/new08a.jpg

Are you really going to conflate an artist's work with what they did? LOL

They are gonna have to invent new latin phrases for the ridiculous arguments you make.

texaspackerbacker
10-01-2008, 09:01 PM

the saddest story for me is the all too common occurrence of black veterans of world war 1 being hung in their uniforms upon returning home

in fact, its terrible to see this symbol politicized on either side of the aisle, if i may say so

You're talking apples and oranges here, falco.

Even if this anti-Obama/anti-hater of America political statement is construed as racist, SYMBOLISM of lynching, hanging, or whatever is a far cry from the real thing. I've been wracking my brain trying to think of a suitable analogy of symbolism faling way short of reality that would mean something to liberals. So far nothing. It's hard to get through to people whose entire psyche is saturated with a bad is good outlook on life.

I don't mean you, falco--just our forum leftists with their sadly flawed attitudes toward America, Christianity, free enterprise, normalcy, decency, basically anything that is good.

falco
10-01-2008, 09:06 PM

Even if this anti-Obama/anti-hater of America political statement is construed as racist, SYMBOLISM of lynching, hanging, or whatever is a far cry from the real thing. I've been wracking my brain trying to think of a suitable analogy of symbolism faling way short of reality that would mean something to liberals. So far nothing. It's hard to get through to people whose entire psyche is saturated with a bad is good outlook on life.

I don't mean you, falco--just our forum leftists with their sadly flawed attitudes toward America, Christianity, free enterprise, normalcy, decency, basically anything that is good.

i agree tex - i would almost argue that people should dismiss it, since paying attention to it is probably what the perpetrator wanted, but its probably not my place to do so.

i would also agree with you that they have a right to do so, just like others have the right to burn the flag... i think someone who spilled their blood in vietnam would have the same gut wrenching reaction as a black person would be to a noose

i hope as those days go farther in the past, symbols like a noose will loose that stigmatism

MJZiggy
10-01-2008, 09:14 PM

Tex, what did the burning of a cross in someone's front yard mean? After all, it was just SYMBOLISM, right? I guess I'm going to have to explain to you what you were there to see for yourself. The lynchings during the civil rights movement were a form of terrorism. They were a message spoken loudly and clearly that said "this guy didn't play by our rules and this is what he got." The cross burning on the lawn was meant as a warning to someone that you weren't playing by their rules and you were going to be next if you didn't shape up and stop making waves. It's the same message and some men in hijacked planes tried to send to your beloved America. "Do what we want or you will be next." It's the exact same fucking thing just on a grander scale.

Whether the students knew the message that they were trying to send, the message associated with what they did (especially considering that they put a reference to race right on their "symbol") was that we think this black guy (you know the word that is likely used there) is overstepping and this is the type of reaction we condone. If you were an African American man on that campus, wouldn't you get the feeling that this message was meant for you and that if they condone this action and can't find the guy in the image that maybe you'll be a good enough substitute?

This is why that act is repulsive and you should know that. Don't give me freedom of speech until you've yelled fire in a crowded theater to see how free your speech really is. Your freedom stops at threatening or endangering others and this stunt (whether intended or not) is a clear threat.

texaspackerbacker
10-01-2008, 09:15 PM
i hope as those days go farther in the past, symbols like a noose will loose that stigmatism.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, falco, then we can hang the REAL bad guys with impugnity :lol: .

texaspackerbacker
10-01-2008, 09:37 PM

Tex, what did the burning of a cross in someone's front yard mean? After all, it was just SYMBOLISM, right? I guess I'm going to have to explain to you what you were there to see for yourself. The lynchings during the civil rights movement were a form of terrorism. They were a message spoken loudly and clearly that said "this guy didn't play by our rules and this is what he got." The cross burning on the lawn was meant as a warning to someone that you weren't playing by their rules and you were going to be next if you didn't shape up and stop making waves. It's the same message and some men in hijacked planes tried to send to your beloved America. "Do what we want or you will be next." It's the exact same fucking thing just on a grander scale.

Whether the students knew the message that they were trying to send, the message associated with what they did (especially considering that they put a reference to race right on their "symbol") was that we think this black guy (you know the word that is likely used there) is overstepping and this is the type of reaction we condone. If you were an African American man on that campus, wouldn't you get the feeling that this message was meant for you and that if they condone this action and can't find the guy in the image that maybe you'll be a good enough substitute?

This is why that act is repulsive and you should know that. Don't give me freedom of speech until you've yelled fire in a crowded theater to see how free your speech really is. Your freedom stops at threatening or endangering others and this stunt (whether intended or not) is a clear threat.

Or maybe the whole civil rights movement was a form of terrorism--destroying one group's way of life in order to empower another group's situation.

I was up north back in those days; I never saw a cross burning, much less anything REAL--like a lynching, beating, or whatever. You, too, seem to be having a hard time distinguishing between REAL damage and mere symbolism. What did cross burnings mean? I would say the answer is, they meant "warnings" to back off and Not be a part of the movement that northern liberals were trying to push southern blacks into. Can you honestly claim that TANGIBLE harm--not merely symbolic--was done by cross burnings--assuming it didn't progress beyond the threat stage?

Arguably, the northern troublemakers--civil rights workers, whatever--did far more harm to southern blacks than any racists, cross burners, etc. There was contentment, stability, morality, and yes, even progress--albeit slower than liberal boat rockers envisioned--toward the equality of opportunity, etc. that liberals claim to have wanted. If things had been allowed to evolve naturally, it is highly probable you wouldn't have the latent hatred you see today, as well as the horribly damaged family and social problems that characterize black society today.

THAT'S the other side of the story, Ziggy. I suppose you prefer to buy into the party line put forth by liberals. Whatever. Just be aware, there is another side to things which is equally likely to be valid.

MJZiggy
10-01-2008, 09:51 PM
Holy fuck, Tex. It wasn't a liberal or conservative issue. It was a human issue. Cross burnings were symbolic because they DID go past the threatening stage and that's what made the threat valid. When bin Laden makes a threat that you think could be valid, do you not think there's a chance he might try to carry it out? Enough people were threatened and then lynched to let other people know the danger in the threat. I can't believe you don't see that.

The civil rights movement was in no way shape or form any type of terrorism at all. Really, what kind of threat is a sit in? Where is the violence in a child going to school except for the white folks going on the attack. Don't tell me they didn't want things better because if they didn't, Brown v. Board of Education would never have happened. That wasn't shoved down their throats. Brown wanted a better education and isn't that what all Americans should want? To better themselves? You're stepping into Russert territory here, Tex.

Kiwon
10-01-2008, 09:57 PM

They are gonna have to invent new latin phrases for the ridiculous arguments you make.

No, I'm not. Jill Greenberg's stunt is much worse.

Her work is permanently archived by her (and proudly so) on the Internet as a propaganda tool for her ideology. She's using her considerable artistic talents to very calculatedly influence opinions. More importantly, her portrait HAS ALREADY been seen by millions of people around the world.

What about the prank at the 3,500-student college? Four students in the dead of night take a cutout, attach fishing line along with a stupid note, and suspend it off the ground by tying it to a tree.

Campus grounds workers removed it the next morning by 7 am.

Wow, it was seen by what, maybe 10 people? Any photos, any Internet posting? Nope.

And talk about conflation. You miss that in the original story it never specifically mentions that the fishing line was fashioned into a hangman's noose around the neck of the cutout. All it said was that the cutout was found "hanging." It's a cutout for crying out loud. It could have been attached anywhere on the cardboard.

The writer cleverly mentions another past incident elsewhere in Oregon featuring a noose and hanging effigy thereby implicitly linking one to the other as she then gets to her main point - Christians are dangerous psychos.

YOU want to compare the two?

The students CONFESSED to their prank. Jill Greenberg BRAGS about her bigotry. So who are the bigger threats to others? Jill Greenberg is the true dangerous psycho.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-01-2008, 10:18 PM
Your hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Kiwon
10-01-2008, 10:27 PM

Ah, yes, don't let the FACTS cloud your opinions, TB.

MJZiggy
10-01-2008, 10:31 PM

Who does her image actually threaten? The image may be offensive, but is only seen either by people who google her or are already familiar with her, or when people like you spread the image. Without you, I'd have had no better chance of seeing that than the message on campus had it not made the news.

Try all you want, it's not the same thing and you know it.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-01-2008, 10:45 PM

Which facts. Like the one that has you or one of your brethren repeatedly posting unflattering pics of dems? Or "artwork" that depicts them in a negative light. But, that is ok, but when reciprocated it is horrible. :roll:

Or the fact that Ms. Greenberg put her name on her artwork and is therefore accountable and you are able to criticize her..whereas the students didn't..not until they faced consequences.

Or the "fact" that the students performed a prank. LOL If it was a light hearted prank, why are they being punished?

Or the fact that the fishing line was AROUND THE NECK. Oops.

Or the fact that YOU are determining impact...you are telling me how i should feel or the extent of the damage. Oops.

Again, your hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-01-2008, 10:46 PM

Who does her image actually threaten? The image may be offensive, but is only seen either by people who google her or are already familiar with her, or when people like you spread the image. Without you, I'd have had no better chance of seeing that than the message on campus had it not made the news.

I've never heard of this artist, but thanks to Kiwon, i'm purchasing this print.

(in best will farrell voice) It is GLORIOUS!!

texaspackerbacker
10-01-2008, 11:03 PM
Holy fuck, Tex. It wasn't a liberal or conservative issue. It was a human issue. Cross burnings were symbolic because they DID go past the threatening stage and that's what made the threat valid. When bin Laden makes a threat that you think could be valid, do you not think there's a chance he might try to carry it out? Enough people were threatened and then lynched to let other people know the danger in the threat. I can't believe you don't see that.

The civil rights movement was in no way shape or form any type of terrorism at all. Really, what kind of threat is a sit in? Where is the violence in a child going to school except for the white folks going on the attack. Don't tell me they didn't want things better because if they didn't, Brown v. Board of Education would never have happened. That wasn't shoved down their throats. Brown wanted a better education and isn't that what all Americans should want? To better themselves? You're stepping into Russert territory here, Tex.

So say the liberals who perpetrated it on southern society, NOT just on whites, but overall, to the detriment of blacks too. It wasn't "shoved down their throats"? "Their" meaning southern blacks, or maybe blacks in general? You really think the shattered family structure of blacks, the gang and drug culture, the ghetto lifestyle is BETTER than what they had in their "put down" state--as liberals pictured it--that would by now, probably have slowly evolved to the same degree of goodness as now--maybe a lot more--and WITHOUT the residual HATE that is the natural consequence with southerners of having the horredous upheaval inflicted on them from outside. (Think very carefully of the implications before you answer. The OTHER alternative reason for all that badness in black culture has some really nasty racial implications.)

I'm sure you'll keep right on eating up the shit put out by the left justifying this whole chapter in history, but like I said, be aware, there is another equally valid point of view which there is so much effort to suppress.

And as for poor little Brown, do you REALLY think he or she even knew or cared about the whole deal? He or she merely had his or her named attached to what a bunch of northern civil rights lawyers were pushing.

MJZiggy
10-01-2008, 11:28 PM
The case was brought about by Brown's father (among others--you see, all those perfectly satisfied negroes had been filing class action suits against the Topeka schools trying to overturn the fallacy that was separate but equal) who wanted an educational opportunity for his daughter. They won in a UNANIMOUS decision by the Supreme Court of the United States. This is not a bunch of hicks, hacks but the Warren Court (a Republican I might add).

What happened subsequent is not the fault of what preceded it and there is nothing in the history to suggest that had the Civil Rights movement not taken the course it did and under the guidance of MLK that there wouldn't have been a violent upheaval from the periphery that you're tunnel vision does not permit you to see. It was coming, one way or another. They just got it done the legal way--through the United States Constitution. (Segregation and holding down of a group of people based on race is unconstitutional--by unanimous decision).

texaspackerbacker
10-01-2008, 11:55 PM
The case was brought about by Brown's father (among others--you see, all those perfectly satisfied negroes had been filing class action suits against the Topeka schools trying to overturn the fallacy that was separate but equal) who wanted an educational opportunity for his daughter. They won in a UNANIMOUS decision by the Supreme Court of the United States. This is not a bunch of hicks, hacks but the Warren Court (a Republican I might add).

What happened subsequent is not the fault of what preceded it and there is nothing in the history to suggest that had the Civil Rights movement not taken the course it did and under the guidance of MLK that there wouldn't have been a violent upheaval from the periphery that you're tunnel vision does not permit you to see. It was coming, one way or another. They just got it done the legal way--through the United States Constitution. (Segregation and holding down of a group of people based on race is unconstitutional--by unanimous decision).

The HUGE percentage of blacks were happy and content until stirred up by liberal troublemakers. Violent upheaval? No way.

"What happened subsequent is not the fault of what preceded it", is that your way of dismissing the whole destruction and devolution of black culture that resulted from the civil rights movement? Come on!

And you would hold up Earl Warren as a shining example of a Republican? Yeah, I suppose to liberals he was. I guess you never saw all those "Impeach Earl Warren" billboards and bumper stickers. Oh wait, I guess you weren't born yet then.

Kiwon
10-02-2008, 04:35 AM

What I know is that it's sad to see what's happening to you, MJZ.

"Without you, I'd have had no better chance of seeing that than the message on campus had it not made the news."

The only chance you had to see the cutout was to travel to Oregon and stand next to the tree within maybe a 6-hour window.

You can see the artist's work from anywhere in the world where there is an Internet connection.

Try all you want, a stupid act by four students (who have since apologized) doesn't justify bigotry against Christianity.

MJZiggy
10-02-2008, 06:08 AM

The HUGE percentage of blacks were happy and content until stirred up by liberal troublemakers. Violent upheaval? No way.

"What happened subsequent is not the fault of what preceded it", is that your way of dismissing the whole destruction and devolution of black culture that resulted from the civil rights movement? Come on!

And you would hold up Earl Warren as a shining example of a Republican? Yeah, I suppose to liberals he was. I guess you never saw all those "Impeach Earl Warren" billboards and bumper stickers. Oh wait, I guess you weren't born yet then.

You cannot use what happened after to justify not doing what they did. The fact of the matter is that there were blacks who wanted change and the way they were being treated was unconstitutional. Maybe you don't like Warren, but every other Justice in the Court agreed with him. What happened years later is completely irrelevant because the Court's job is to apply the law according to the Constitution, not predict the future. If the blacks of the time were happy, they wouldn't have brought suit and the case never would have come about. If she were happy about it, Rosa Parks would have sat in the back of the bus. I don't know her political leanings, but I don't think they apply to her wish to be treated like a human equal to those in the front of the bus.

and Kiwon, no one is bigoted against Christianity. I am bigoted about people trying to pull off a stunt like this--and you still haven't shown me the violence that the artist's work threatens or implies. Is it in bad taste? Sure. Has anyone actually been chewed up by the rendering in the image? There's the question for you. When you can show that people have and that the image poses a threat for it to happen again, then you have a point. This is why the students got punished (and sharply at that) It's where First Amendment rights end. I just can't fathom that you don't see the difference. It was a stupid act, sure, but the implication is condoning racial violence.

texaspackerbacker
10-02-2008, 08:28 AM
Yes, there were malcontents among blacks back then, but they were a TINY minority. Most lived stable normal lives, raised their kids in disciplined Christian ways, and went about their daily business without trouble or controversy. True, they lived as second class citizens, but they did not hate, and they were not hated. And the lower class status was beginning to change on its own and clearly would have evolved WITHOUT ALL THE HATE into exactly the kind of society liberals tried to inflict by force immediately.

And I don't know if you are denying the linkage of gang and drug culture, degeneration of stable family life, etc. among blacks to the civil rights movement, or if you just are saying, "who cares, they should have done it anyway". It sounds like the latter. Either way, it's a shame, and it's all on your kind of people--albeit a generation or so before you came along. Liberals now, however, either by deliberate desire to harm this country, or probably in most cases, by misguided naivete, screw up just about everything they touch too--in a wide variety of fields.

And you hit the nail on the head when you described the proper role of the Supreme Court--"the Court's job is to apply the law according to the Constitution". Earl Warren's legacy is that he pretty much BEGAN the concept of an "activist" court--which basically said, "hell with the Constitution; we think things ought to be this way, so that's how we are ruling". Warren's court--ALL justices chosen by Democrats or liberal Republicans--harmed the country in a helluva lot more ways than just civil rights.

bobblehead
10-02-2008, 10:48 AM

They have the right...and society has the right to shun them and point out what morons they are.

bobblehead
10-02-2008, 10:53 AM

I've never heard of this artist, but thanks to Kiwon, i'm purchasing this print.

Congratulations....you just put yourself on par with tex.

mraynrand
10-02-2008, 02:05 PM

Bobble, nobody cares. tex celebrated Russert's death and there were pages of indignant wailing; Freak out wanted Giuliani dead, and there were crickets chirping. Ty is a law unto himself; the epitome of Rousseau's legacy. Your standards, and those of anyone else, do not apply to him, unless he agrees.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-02-2008, 02:09 PM

Congrats...you have missed sarcasm.

HowardRoark
10-02-2008, 05:33 PM
the Court's job is to apply the law according to the Constitution

QFT.....

EDIT: on second thought, this is not true, it's the Executive Branch's job to apply the law, the Judicial branch interprets laws and makes sure they are Constitutional.

I guess I was giving you credit for at least not saying that the Court's job is to make laws.

th87
10-03-2008, 02:07 AM

Uh huh. Simulating lynching a Black guy makes them patriots, huh?

If they did anything else to deface Obama's cutout, fine. But the intent was clearly to remind us of those racist atrocities against Black people specifically. That's where they crossed the line.

No surprise that you'd defend that, of course.

th87
10-03-2008, 02:16 AM

No, I'm not. Jill Greenberg's stunt is much worse.

Her work is permanently archived by her (and proudly so) on the Internet as a propaganda tool for her ideology. She's using her considerable artistic talents to very calculatedly influence opinions. More importantly, her portrait HAS ALREADY been seen by millions of people around the world.

What about the prank at the 3,500-student college? Four students in the dead of night take a cutout, attach fishing line along with a stupid note, and suspend it off the ground by tying it to a tree.

Campus grounds workers removed it the next morning by 7 am.

Wow, it was seen by what, maybe 10 people? Any photos, any Internet posting? Nope.

And talk about conflation. You miss that in the original story it never specifically mentions that the fishing line was fashioned into a hangman's noose around the neck of the cutout. All it said was that the cutout was found "hanging." It's a cutout for crying out loud. It could have been attached anywhere on the cardboard.

The writer cleverly mentions another past incident elsewhere in Oregon featuring a noose and hanging effigy thereby implicitly linking one to the other as she then gets to her main point - Christians are dangerous psychos.

YOU want to compare the two?

The students CONFESSED to their prank. Jill Greenberg BRAGS about her bigotry. So who are the bigger threats to others? Jill Greenberg is the true dangerous psycho.

This sets a career high in idiocy. Wow.

th87
10-03-2008, 02:20 AM

I'm sure Rosa Parks in her heart of hearts wanted to stand up for the White guy.

th87
10-03-2008, 02:22 AM
Try all you want, a stupid act by four students (who have since apologized) doesn't justify bigotry against Christianity.

I don't think she said it did. That's a strawman. It does justify disdain for those kids though.

mraynrand
10-03-2008, 07:50 AM

If they did anything else to deface Obama's cutout, fine. But the intent was clearly to remind us of those racist atrocities against Black people specifically. That's where they crossed the line.

Are you sure about what you wrote?

texaspackerbacker
10-03-2008, 11:15 AM

Are you sure about what you wrote?

Perfect Response, aynrand.

The leftists range from LEAPING TO THIS CONCLUSION WITHOUT EVIDENCE to INTENTIONALLY DEMAGOGUING THE WHOLE THING TO EVOKE SYMPATHY FOR OBAMA--who, of course, is EMINENTLY HATEABLE.

And, TH87, while I clearly am NOT a racist in the hatred sense of the word, I don't shy away from the word either. Give me a choice between somebody with wonderful pro-American, pro-Christian, pro-free enterprise views who happens to be racist and some America-hating leftist who pisses on the majority religion in this country and espouses socialism, and I will choose the racist any day.

And no, TH87, that wasn't you I was describing. Obama? Yeah, I'd say so.

bobblehead
10-03-2008, 11:27 AM

So if I burn an obama doll in effigy thats cool then right??

Zool
10-03-2008, 01:07 PM

No but if you put him in a diorama wearing overalls in a cotton field, or chained to a large wooden boat, thats apparently fine.

texaspackerbacker
10-03-2008, 01:16 PM

No but if you put him in a diorama wearing overalls in a cotton field, or chained to a large wooden boat, thats apparently fine.

I don't give a damn WHERE you put him as long as it ain't the White House--although I suppose he could work out serving at those fancy dinners being as "articulate and clean" as Biden described him and all.

Zool
10-03-2008, 01:22 PM

I don't give a damn WHERE you put him as long as it ain't the White House--although I suppose he could work out serving at those fancy dinners being as "articulate and clean" as Biden described him and all.

I will actually agree with you there Tex ya lunatic. Liberals all like to refer to an intelligent black man as articulate or well spoken. If a black man doesn't speak as a white man does, he's apparently not intelligent.

Those college students were definitely making reference to racial hangings though.

mraynrand
10-03-2008, 01:43 PM
Those college students were definitely making reference to racial hangings though.
They were? I'm a little skeptical on this, but I could have missed it. Was it obvious or are people jumping to conclusions?

bobblehead
10-03-2008, 02:51 PM

Doesn't count....conservatives aren't allowed to be nice to an old guy at his hundredth b-day without playing 6 degrees to rascism, but libs can imply that most african americans are sloppy and dirty and gets the VP slot. I'm actually almost getting used to it sad as that is.

By the way, I remember John McCain saying mars is a red planet...GO, you have 1 minute and 6 degrees to label mccain a rascist.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-03-2008, 02:57 PM

I would be cool with that.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-03-2008, 02:58 PM
They were? I'm a little skeptical on this, but I could have missed it. Was it obvious or are people jumping to conclusions?

Hmm. Noose around the neck. Note attached related to the admittance of blacks.

Occam's razor, rand. Occam's razor.

Kiwon
10-03-2008, 05:32 PM

Hmm. Noose around the neck. Note attached related to the admittance of blacks.

Occam's razor, rand. Occam's razor.

Bigguns, you jerk, TRY READING ENGLISH and separating FACTS from COMMENTARY/OPINION.

From the original post:

Effigy of Obama alarms George Fox campus
by Suzanne Pardington, The Oregonian

NEWBERG -- Students and campus leaders at George Fox University denounced the hanging of a life-size cardboard cutout of U.S. Sen. Barack Obama on campus, vowing to work together to fight racism and intolerance.

A custodial crew at the 3,355-student Christian university found the Obama likeness hanging by fishing wire from a tree at 7 a.m. Tuesday and tore it down before students arrived for classes.

A sign taped to the cutout said, "Act Six reject," referring to a scholarship program for Portland students, many of whom are minorities.

(edit)

The Obama image at George Fox is the third publicized incident on Oregon college campuses in the past year involving racist images hanging from trees.

At Oregon State University in Corvallis last fall, a noose was left hanging from a tree after a fraternity Halloween party. [A noose, no body]

And at Reed College in Portland, a Halloween display last year included dummies, supposed to represent ghosts, hanging by nooses from trees on campus. In both incidents, students said they didn't intend the images to be racist.

[BUT THE WRITER ALREADY DETERMINED THAT THE TWO HALLOWEEN DISPLAYS WERE RACIST ACTS.]

(The rest of the article alludes that racism is rampant and par for the course among Christians and Republicans. The good guys, the tolerant, open-minded ones are Democrats, of course. This is rich. I quote, "The campus has a Republican student group but not an organized group of campus Democrats. John Archibald, chairman of the College Republicans, said in a statement that forming a Democratic group should be pursued "now more than ever."

"What happened on campus this week is disheartening to American politics," he said. "Regardless of your politics, this act of hate cannot be tolerated."

[Brilliant. Reminding supposedly Christian students of the biblical commands to "Love one another" and "Treat others in the same way that you want to be treated" isn't enough. No, the solution lies in starting a new political organization on campus. An enlightened, tolerant one, i.e. Democratic one, of course. :roll:

So, TB, a clever, clearly biased writer plays off YOUR prejudice and IDIOTS like you fall for it hook, line, and sinker. That's why you invent facts like "noose around the neck."

And because you are such a humanitarian, TB, I'm sure that to stop the majority of the racist acts that you will write an editorial suggesting banning Halloween displays on all college campuses in Oregon. That's the only time and place where "a noose" was seen.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-03-2008, 07:50 PM
Kiwon,

What part are you missing. I cut out of Obama with a noose...that sure looks like a lynching. Maybe not...cept that they put a note that specifically refers to a scholly for that is utilized by minorities.

That pretty much says it all.

Scott Campbell
10-03-2008, 07:51 PM
What part are you missing. I cut out of Obama with a noose...that sure looks like a lynching.

Lynching? That sounds like a warm crime to me.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-03-2008, 07:54 PM
What part are you missing. I cut out of Obama with a noose...that sure looks like a lynching.

You need new material.

Scott Campbell
10-03-2008, 07:56 PM

You need new material.

Pot meet kettle.

th87
10-04-2008, 01:55 AM
In real lynchings, commonly used items included:

1. A tree.
2. A Black person.
3. A hanging instrument (i.e. a rope).
4. People who hate Black people.

In this "prank", items used included:

1. A tree.
2. A likeness of a Black person.
3. A hanging instrument.
4. A note attacking a policy related to Black people.

It's funny the dots are sooo hard to connect when it's conservatives in trouble.

th87
10-04-2008, 01:58 AM
And here we go:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008217186_webeffigy30.html

NEWBERG, Ore. — George Fox University says four students have been punished for hanging a likeness of Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama from a tree on campus.

The university said in a statement today the penalties are "immediate long-term suspension and public service." The school says the four confessed to their involvement.

It says federal privacy rules prevent it from disclosing the length of the suspensions or the names of the students.

The life-size cardboard cutout, a commercial product, was hung last week with fishing line around the neck.

An official of the Christian school of about 1,800 students called the image of a black man hanged from a tree one of the most hurtful symbols of racism in American history.
___

Damn that liberal media!

Kiwon
10-04-2008, 02:44 AM
And here we go:

NEWBERG, Ore. — George Fox University says four students have been punished for hanging a likeness of Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama from a tree on campus.

The university said in a statement today the penalties are "immediate long-term suspension and public service." The school says the four confessed to their involvement.

It says federal privacy rules prevent it from disclosing the length of the suspensions or the names of the students.

The life-size cardboard cutout, a commercial product, was hung last week with fishing line around the neck.

An official of the Christian school of about 1,800 students called the image of a black man hanged from a tree one of the most hurtful symbols of racism in American history.
___

Damn that liberal media!

Sounds like the AP. Always concerned about the little details. So what happened to 1555 students?

:shock: Gosh, this is terrible. Cardboard cutouts are being lynched! Gee, I wonder how many cutouts have died?!

Save the cutouts, kill the babies!

th87, you better start "The Cutout Defense Project" and push back against the evil Christians. First they enslave Native Americans and now they're targeting cutouts. Is there no decency left in the world?

Obama or his pal, William Ayers, can probably hook you up with some funding. It's a cause so great that you should dedicate your life to it. You must work tirelessly until every cutout in America feels safe. A federal ban on fishing line might be in order.

th87, you're a man among men. Caring, compassionate. Who will speak for the cutouts? You are their silent voice. :cry:

th87
10-04-2008, 02:57 AM
And here we go:

___

Damn that liberal media!

Sounds like the AP. Always concerned about the little details. So what happened to 1555 students?

:shock: Gosh, this is terrible. Cardboard cutouts are being lynched! Gee, I wonder how many cutouts have died?!

th87, you better start "The Cutout Defense Project" and push back against the evil Christians. First they enslave Native Americans and now they're targeting cutouts. Is there no decency left in the world?

Obama or his pal, William Ayers, can probably hook you up with some funding. It's a cause so great that you should dedicate your life to it. You must work tirelessly until every cutout in America feels safe. A federal ban on fishing line might be in order.

th87, you're a man among men. Caring, compassionate. Who will speak for the cutouts? You are their silent voice. :cry:

That's a good idea - I think I will.

It's a shame you had to be wrong about this though. Can't win them all, I guess.

falco
10-04-2008, 07:56 AM
why is it so hard to see how hurtful the symbol of the noose is?

i don't even necessarily think the students should be punished, since they were expressing free speech, but i certainly think people's outrage is justified

mraynrand
10-04-2008, 09:04 AM

i don't even necessarily think the students should be punished, since they were expressing free speech, but i certainly think people's outrage is justified

The outrage is justified, but the assumptions are not. When is the last time you saw fishing line tied into a noose? You have a bunch of suburban white kids, probably born in 1987 or 1988, who have no clue about lynchings whatsoever - certainly no visceral connection, no connection probably to minority populations. It is what it is: a meanspirited prank observed by two students and a janitor. You've got some creepy, rude naive kids who need to be taught a lesson. But I highly doubt they had any idea about the total implications of what they'd done, except on a sensationalism level. Reading up on the incident, this seems to be the attitude of other kids at the school, including members of the Act Six program, who think the punishment matched the crime. The FBI will investigate whether there was a civil rights violation. It is their job to see if anything more serious was intended, such as threats of actual lynching. Stay tuned, I suspect they will find nothing. My guess is you have a collection of students who have really been shocked that what they saw as a prank, expanded into this huge problem. I could be wrong - these kids could be among the handful of true racists left in our younger generation - steeped in the symbolism of racial hatred by family and community, in full awareness of what they were doing and what it meant - but I doubt it.

MJZiggy
10-04-2008, 09:27 AM

The outrage is justified, but the assumptions are not. When is the last time you saw fishing line tied into a noose? You have a bunch of suburban white kids, probably born in 1987 or 1988, who have no clue about lynchings whatsoever - certainly no visceral connection, no connection probably to minority populations. It is what it is: a meanspirited prank observed by two students and a janitor. You've got some creepy, rude naive kids who need to be taught a lesson. But I highly doubt they had any idea about the total implications of what they'd done, except on a sensationalism level. Reading up on the incident, this seems to be the attitude of other kids at the school, including members of the Act Six program, who think the punishment matched the crime. The FBI will investigate whether there was a civil rights violation. It is their job to see if anything more serious was intended, such as threats of actual lynching. Stay tuned, I suspect they will find nothing. My guess is you have a collection of students who have really been shocked that what they saw as a prank, expanded into this huge problem. I could be wrong - these kids could be among the handful of true racists left in our younger generation - steeped in the symbolism of racial hatred by family and community, in full awareness of what they were doing and what it meant - but I doubt it.

If it weren't racial, then why the scholarship reference?

Kiwon
10-04-2008, 09:30 AM

The outrage is justified, but the assumptions are not. When is the last time you saw fishing line tied into a noose?

The suburban kids may not be able to do it but you can rest assured that Sarah Palin's children learned how to make a hangman's noose out of fishing line, probably at their Assembly of God church.

There's no doubt a connection to Big Oil and Haliburton in there as well.

falco
10-04-2008, 09:41 AM

The outrage is justified, but the assumptions are not. When is the last time you saw fishing line tied into a noose?

The suburban kids may not be able to do it but you can rest assured that Sarah Palin's children learned how to make a hangman's noose out of fishing line, probably at their Assembly of God church.

lol what?

HowardRoark
10-04-2008, 12:15 PM
Is this a racial hate crime?

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/resources/2008/05/google-maps-shootout-main.png

mraynrand
10-04-2008, 12:45 PM

If it weren't racial, then why the scholarship reference?

What do you mean? read what I wrote again. What do mean by 'racial' expand.

mraynrand
10-04-2008, 12:55 PM
Is this a racial hate crime?

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/resources/2008/05/google-maps-shootout-main.png

That reminds me of the good old days at Ogden Park. Or taking my Race and Law class at the University of Chicago.

bobblehead
10-04-2008, 02:10 PM

Please go to the other thread and play my six degrees to conservative rascism...you are pretty good at this. :lol:

th87
10-04-2008, 04:11 PM

I think it's a bigger leap to say it wasn't racist, rather than it was.

Everything is in place. Like MJZ said, if it wasn't racist, why a reference to the minority program? If it was a JUST political statement, why not just leave the program out of it?

Why make it look JUST LIKE a lynching?

They teach Black History in school. EVERYONE knows what a lynching would look like.

Next, I'm expecting to hear that this took place in Oregon, and therefore cannot simulate a lynching, because lynchings only took place in the South.

So just go with the simplest explanation.

th87
10-04-2008, 04:12 PM

Boy, you are a sensitive fellow.

Kiwon
10-04-2008, 08:04 PM
And here we go:

___

Damn that liberal media!

That's a good idea - I think I will.

th ocho-siete, have you registered your domain for "The Cutout Defense Project" yet?

How are the chants coming? - "Hey, hey, ho, ho, fishing line has got to go. Hey, hey, ho, ho, fishing line has got to go."

Come'on, you slacker, the Code Pinkers would have already formed a 501 (c)(3) political action committee by now. You know the drill, put yourself as chairman of the board and then use the donations to cover your "expenses." That's how Ayers got Obama started. :wink:

What's the first event, "Cutouts across America?" Who's the headliner? The Rev. Jesse Jackson would be perfect. He's trying to rehabilitate his image after threatening harm to Barack's testicles. (The monster! God only knows what he's done to Obama's cutout when no one was looking.)

Maybe Tyrone Bigguns could start "The Testicles Defense Project." He's into that and wouldn't mind mixing business and pleasure.

Cutouts are people too….., kind of, sort of…..well, no matter,……and deserve to be treated with dignity and respect! Organize, man! Stem the epidemic of cutout lynchings across racist America. Make Michelle proud of her country!

mraynrand
10-04-2008, 09:51 PM

Everything is in place. Like MJZ said, if it wasn't racist, why a reference to the minority program? If it was a JUST political statement, why not just leave the program out of it?

They teach Black History in school. EVERYONE knows what a lynching would look like.

Next, I'm expecting to hear that this took place in Oregon, and therefore cannot simulate a lynching, because lynchings only took place in the South.

The point I was trying to get Zig to address is this: Not all things racial are racist. It is possible to be against diversity and affirmative action programs without being racist, even though you can't avoid referencing race. When MLK said judge not by color of skin but content of character, he addressed race - but was he being racist?

th87
10-04-2008, 10:03 PM

The point I was trying to get Zig to address is this: Not all things racial are racist. It is possible to be against diversity and affirmative action programs without being racist, even though you can't avoid referencing race. When MLK said judge not by color of skin but content of character, he addressed race - but was he being racist?

Referencing race = not necessarily racist.

Referencing race + simulating a lynching = most probably racist.

mraynrand
10-04-2008, 10:47 PM

Assuming that a cardboard cutout hung up with fishing line was simulating a lynching with virtually no other evidence? = most probably racist

th87
10-05-2008, 03:43 AM

Assuming that a cardboard cutout hung up with fishing line was simulating a lynching with virtually no other evidence? = most probably racist

Again:

Real lynchings involved:

1. A Black victim hanged by the neck.
2. White perpetrators.
3. A tree.
4. An instrument used to hang said victim (e.g. a rope).
5. A disdain for something relating to Black people.

This act involved:

1. A likeness of a Black person hung by the neck.
2. White perpetrators.
3. A tree.
4. An instrument used to hang said victim.

The reasonable assumption is that a simulated lynching took place, based on all the parallels.

Some life lessons:

1. Discover wife naked in bed with another man = she's probably cheating.

2. See a demonstration that looks exactly like a lynching = probably a simulated lynching.

That whole "quacks like a duck" thing.

GrnBay007
10-05-2008, 03:54 AM
off topic.....th87, I miss your old avatar. :D

th87
10-05-2008, 03:59 AM

Haha, I do too! I gotta find that picture. And I definitely have to meet that guy.

How's everything going with you?

mraynrand
10-05-2008, 08:43 AM

Again:

Real lynchings involved:

2. White perpetrators.
3. A tree.

This act involved:

2. White perpetrators.
3. A tree.

The reasonable assumption is that a simulated lynching took place, based on all the parallels.

Some life lessons:

2. See a demonstration that looks exactly like a lynching = probably a simulated lynching.

Again, how do you know what it looked like. I really think you want to believe it was a lynching simulation. I think that's more revealing than anything else you've written.

th87
10-05-2008, 01:30 PM

Again:

Real lynchings involved:

2. White perpetrators.
3. A tree.

This act involved:

2. White perpetrators.
3. A tree.

Some life lessons:

Again, how do you know what it looked like. I really think you want to believe it was a lynching simulation. I think that's more revealing than anything else you've written.

Yeah, it reveals that I'm not going to ignore evidence in hopes of exonerating these kids. I've enumerated everything we know above. Looks suspiciously similar to a lynching.

Your intellectual dishonesty is noted though.

GrnBay007
10-07-2008, 12:37 AM

Haha, I do too! I gotta find that picture. And I definitely have to meet that guy.

How's everything going with you?

Dang, I looked and can't find it. :(

....the coolest bald guy ever!! :D

Doing just fine here. Glad you found your way to PR!!

mraynrand
10-07-2008, 12:41 AM
Yeah, it reveals that I'm not going to ignore evidence in hopes of exonerating these kids. I've enumerated everything we know above. Looks suspiciously similar to a lynching.

I mentioned in my first post that I thought it could have been a simulated lynching. I have no intention of exonerating the kids. I am skeptical though, since there is very little information. As far as calling me dishonest, let me be refreshingly honest: fuck you.

GrnBay007
10-07-2008, 12:44 AM
:shock:

off topic came at an odd moment. :oops:

texaspackerbacker
10-07-2008, 07:49 PM

1. A tree.
2. A Black person.

1. A tree.
3. A hanging instrument.

It's funny the dots are sooo hard to connect when it's conservatives in trouble.

The primary ingredient in a lynching is a DEATH. That seems to be lacking here.

th87
10-11-2008, 03:33 AM

I mentioned in my first post that I thought it could have been a simulated lynching. I have no intention of exonerating the kids. I am skeptical though, since there is very little information. As far as calling me dishonest, let me be refreshingly honest: fuck you.

I didn't call you dishonest. I said you are possessing intellectual dishonesty with respect to this situation, which ultimately is my opinion.

Based on your response, I am also of the opinion that you have a bit of a temper.

th87
10-11-2008, 03:34 AM

1. A tree.
2. A Black person.

1. A tree.
3. A hanging instrument.

Hence, a SIMULATED lynching.

texaspackerbacker
10-11-2008, 06:45 AM

1. A tree.
2. A Black person.

1. A tree.
3. A hanging instrument.

The REAL analogy worth considering--Moral Equivalency in action, to put it in terms a liberal understands--is your line about finding a wife naked in bed with another man. That situation often results in death without due process--which is as good a definition as any for lynching. The victims of lynchings--sometimes, but far from always, black (most of us first heard the term "lynching" in old western movies where the towns people hanged the murderer without waiting for the judge), generally had done something so heinous by community standards that they were deemed worthy of being offed without due process. The point being, the huge huge majority of black people who didn't do anything to deserve it--or at least draw attention to themselves--did NOT get lynched.

What can I say? I empathize a lot more with the lynchers than the lynchees. If some of you are on the other side of that perspective, so be it. It's merely two sides in a culture war in another place and another time. I suppose you guys empathize with the Indians at Wounded Knee instead of the thousands of victims of Indian massacres too. Whatever. I suppose you guys empathize with the bearded leftist scum in Chicago in 1968, too, instead of Mayor Daly's cops. Whatever. You probably even empathize more with the victims at My Lai instead of the troops who were frustrated by having buddies murdered by enemy who blended back in with civilians and got away with it.

ALL of these are similar examples of liberal Moral Equivalence on the one side as opposed to (in an effort to be fair and balanced) conservative Ethnocentricity.

To put it in football terms, remember that Packer D Lineman who made the obvious dirty hit on Jim McMahan, I think it was? You people would have been whining and ranting for sanctions AGAINST the Packer.

BTW, if you people had made an analogy between Cross Burning and the event in Oregon, I'd have no disagreement with you at all--symbolism over substance. But lynching? Nope. That's like comparing speeding to vehicular homicide.

th87
10-11-2008, 07:25 AM

1. A tree.
2. A Black person.

1. A tree.
3. A hanging instrument.

The REAL analogy worth considering--Moral Equivalency in action, to put it in terms a liberal understands--is your line about finding a wife naked in bed with another man. That situation often results in death without due process--which is as good a definition as any for lynching. The victims of lynchings--sometimes, but far from always, black (most of us first heard the term "lynching" in old western movies where the towns people hanged the murderer without waiting for the judge), generally had done something so heinous by community standards that they were deemed worthy of being offed without due process. The point being, the huge huge majority of black people who didn't do anything to deserve it--or at least draw attention to themselves--did NOT get lynched.

What can I say? I empathize a lot more with the lynchers than the lynchees. If some of you are on the other side of that perspective, so be it. It's merely two sides in a culture war in another place and another time. I suppose you guys empathize with the Indians at Wounded Knee instead of the thousands of victims of Indian massacres too. Whatever. I suppose you guys empathize with the bearded leftist scum in Chicago in 1968, too, instead of Mayor Daly's cops. Whatever. You probably even empathize more with the victims at My Lai instead of the troops who were frustrated by having buddies murdered by enemy who blended back in with civilians and got away with it.

ALL of these are similar examples of liberal Moral Equivalence on the one side as opposed to (in an effort to be fair and balanced) conservative Ethnocentricity.

To put it in football terms, remember that Packer D Lineman who made the obvious dirty hit on Jim McMahan, I think it was? You people would have been whining and ranting for sanctions AGAINST the Packer.

BTW, if you people had made an analogy between Cross Burning and the event in Oregon, I'd have no disagreement with you at all--symbolism over substance. But lynching? Nope. That's like comparing speeding to vehicular homicide.

Sounds suspiciously like blaming the rape victim. Did Emmett Till, for example, deserve to die like that?

Nobody was equating the scope of this Oregon event with an actual lynching. I was simply showing similarities to a lynching, which would make this appear to be a simulated lynching, which in turn implies that the event was racist (like lynchings were).

texaspackerbacker
10-11-2008, 07:45 AM

1. A tree.
2. A Black person.

1. A tree.
3. A hanging instrument.

Sounds suspiciously like blaming the rape victim. Did Emmett Till, for example, deserve to die like that?

Nobody was equating the scope of this Oregon event with an actual lynching. I was simply showing similarities to a lynching, which would make this appear to be a simulated lynching, which in turn implies that the event was racist (like lynchings were).

"Nobody"? Try "all of the leftists in this forum".

I don't know who in the hell Emmett Till is. What do you see in my post that is remotely like "blaming rape victims"?

Arguably, the solid majority of lynchings WEREN'T even examples of racism. A solid minority, if not a majority weren't even black, and many of both black and white victims were merely examples of crime and over-zealous/premature punishment.

MJZiggy
10-11-2008, 07:46 AM

texaspackerbacker
10-11-2008, 07:54 AM

A black person murders or rapes a white person. A mob of white people catch the black person, ignore due process, and hang the black person from the nearest tree.

Is THAT "racism" to you, Ziggy? th87?, any of the rest of you leftists?

When I say "crime and over-zealous/premature punishment", that is what I mean.

MJZiggy
10-11-2008, 08:08 AM
It depends. When a white person rapes or murders someone do they get hung from a tree or tried to be sure they're actually guilty of the crime first?

texaspackerbacker
10-11-2008, 08:14 AM
It depends. When a white person rapes or murders someone do they get hung from a tree or tried to be sure they're actually guilty of the crime first?

In some cases ........ just like with black people.

And even if your example occurred more often, it's a matter of culture and community values--and I say again, I empathize with the lynchers more than the lynchees--apparently you don't, incredibly, not even with the rape victim.

MJZiggy
10-11-2008, 08:28 AM
What if the lynch mob hangs some guy that his ex falsely accused. I am all for punishing rapists and murderers to the fullest extent of the law. I am also all for due process and hanging only the guilty parties.

mraynrand
10-11-2008, 08:36 AM
What if the lynch mob hangs some guy that his ex falsely accused.

That would be bad, wouldn't it?

mraynrand
10-11-2008, 08:38 AM

I didn't call you dishonest. I said you are possessing intellectual dishonesty with respect to this situation, which ultimately is my opinion.

I respectfully disagree.

texaspackerbacker
10-11-2008, 08:42 AM
What if the lynch mob hangs some guy that his ex falsely accused. I am all for punishing rapists and murderers to the fullest extent of the law. I am also all for due process and hanging only the guilty parties.

Have we now progressed beyond calling this racism? If so, good.

If they get an occasional falsely accused person, I suppose that's bad--about 1/10,000 as bad as the repeats of the crime done by guilty who get off on technicalities or just by not getting caught. And you can multiply that fraction by the miniscule fraction of falsely accused who are convicted or lynched compared to guilty who get off.

Here again, I empathize with the victims/prosecutors/lynchers, while you apparently empathize with the falsely accused. Whatever!

You know, even most who are FALSELY accused are guilty of something else or at very least, are in some place they shouldn't be.

th87
10-11-2008, 08:53 AM

I don't know who in the hell Emmett Till is. What do you see in my post that is remotely like "blaming rape victims"?

Arguably, the solid majority of lynchings WEREN'T even examples of racism. A solid minority, if not a majority weren't even black, and many of both black and white victims were merely examples of crime and over-zealous/premature punishment.

I'm surprised you don't know who Emmett Till was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmett_Till

Landmark civil rights issue. Maybe you'd be more sympathetic to the movement if you read up on what was happening at the time. Lynchings during that time period happened just because people were Black. There are many, many documented cases of this. Any Black History book would tell you everything you'd need to know.

I challenge your notion that lynchings weren't examples of racism, and that there were more White victims. Seems completely unsubstantiated.

th87
10-11-2008, 08:57 AM

A black person murders or rapes a white person. A mob of white people catch the black person, ignore due process, and hang the black person from the nearest tree.

Is THAT "racism" to you, Ziggy? th87?, any of the rest of you leftists?

When I say "crime and over-zealous/premature punishment", that is what I mean.

Could be. Did the color of the perpetrator's skin spark the zeal which caused this mob to lynch said perpetrator? If yes, that's racism.

If they would've lynched the perpetrator regardless of his color, then no, not necessarily racism.

However, most lynchings occurred against innocent Black people, where their "crime" was simply being Black.

mraynrand
10-11-2008, 08:58 AM

I'm surprised you don't know who Emmett Till was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmett_Till

Landmark civil rights issue. Maybe you'd be more sympathetic to the movement if you knew what was happening. Lynchings during that time period happened just because people were Black. There are many, many documented cases of this. Any Black History book would tell you everything you'd need to know.

I challenge your notion that lynchings weren't examples of racism, and that there were more White victims. Seems completely unsubstantiated.

I hope a white history book would tell us the same thing.

Anyway, it seems like there is some talking past each other here. As in there were lynchings that were brought about by mobs executing justice and there were lynchings that were racially motivated, exclusively. Very few whites were lynched by black mobs for racial reasons.

Kiwon
10-15-2008, 06:46 AM
Halloween display aims for 'shock value'

An Obama supporter sets up a Halloween display in his front yard showing McCain as a Klan member with a club chasing Obama

The local NAACP head says that the display is "innocuous" and "appears friendly to me."

http://www.stargazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081014/NEWS01/810140328&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

.................................................. .............................

ocho-siete,

Would it be okay for someone to set up to Halloween display depicting Obama as a Muslim terrorist aiming a rifle at McCain?

How about a scene where Obama is getting ready to behead McCain?

Would such a display be racist or innocuous?

mraynrand
10-15-2008, 07:08 AM

An Obama supporter sets up a Halloween display in his front yard showing McCain as a Klan member with a club chasing Obama

There's nothing wrong with depictions of reality. What is the controversy here? Now if 'McCain' had fishing line, look out!

HowardRoark
10-15-2008, 07:13 AM
Maybe they should portray a porn movie with Sarah Palin as the star. No, that would be too outrageous. We would never do something like that in our "enlightened" culture. Especially how far we have come over the past 30 years concerning "Women's Issues.

Sorry for even brinigng it up.....that would never happen in the U.S.A.

Zool
10-15-2008, 07:51 AM

There's nothing wrong with depictions of reality. What is the controversy here? Now if 'McCain' had fishing line, look out!

Wow really? Both are equally stupid and narrow minded but I guess its OK if you think one is OK but the other isn't.

People suck.

mraynrand
10-15-2008, 07:59 AM

Wow really? Both are equally stupid and narrow minded but I guess its OK if you think one is OK but the other isn't.

People suck.

Clearly McCain is a racist, since he's running against Obama. He doesn't want a black man to be president. So it's pretty easy to believe he's a clansman.

mraynrand
10-15-2008, 08:02 AM
Maybe they should portray a porn movie with Sarah Palin as the star. No, that would be too outrageous. We would never do something like that in our "enlightened" culture. Especially how far we have come over the past 30 years concerning "Women's Issues.

Sorry for even brinigng it up.....that would never happen in the U.S.A.

Sarah Palin is a cunt. That's what the libs at the McCain Palin rallies think. Depicting her in a porn movie portrays a positive image of her, in comparison.

http://patdollard.com/wp-content/uploads/cunttshirt.jpg

3irty1
10-15-2008, 08:33 AM
At first I thought this was an unmistakable act of racism. After reading the story though I have my doubts.

From the Act Six website:

"Act Six is a leadership and scholarship program that connects urban ministries and faith-based colleges in order to equip emerging urban leaders to engage the college campus and their communities at home"

What are they really calling Obama by labeling him an "Act Six Reject?" The signage itself doesn't seem race related to me.

The other thing that makes me wonder is why on Earth if you are trying to symbolize an act of racist violence do you use fishing line?

I'm not all that political so don't take this as me suggesting that the "Author's biased is showing." There was still a black guy hanging from a tree and these kids should have been smart enough to realize what people would think. They are either crappy at being racist and making political statements or just crappy at making political statements. I just think its very possible that this whole thing sounds worse than it was.

Zool
10-15-2008, 08:47 AM
Depicting a black man hanging from a tree is like depicting a Jewish person waving at you from a huge furnace. Its very clear whats in tended to me.

3irty1
10-15-2008, 09:08 AM
Depicting a black man hanging from a tree is like depicting a Jewish person waving at you from a huge furnace. Its very clear whats in tended to me.

Not always true!

http://www.getaholdofthis.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/Eagles_team.jpg

Zool
10-15-2008, 09:28 AM
Ha nice one.

Scott Campbell
10-15-2008, 10:04 AM
......... is like depicting a Jewish person waving at you from a huge furnace. Its very clear whats intended to me.

He's trying to sell me a new Lennox?

MateoInMex
10-16-2008, 11:32 AM

LMFAO @ Jive Turkey. It had to be an old ACORN worker that submitted that name. Props to that guy for remembering 1970's black vernacular made popular in Blaxploitation flicks such as Black Ceasar, or Dolomite. Too bad it couldn't have been recognized in another medium, instead of forging voter documents.

hoosier
10-16-2008, 11:56 AM
LMFAO @ Jive Turkey. It had to be an old ACORN worker that submitted that name. Props to that guy for remembering 1970's black vernacular made popular in Blaxploitation flicks such as Black Ceasar, or Dolomite. Too bad it couldn't have been recognized in another medium, instead of forging voter documents.

The "I speak jive" scene in the Airplane movie was classic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-xHPU6NulM