PDA

View Full Version : Brian Calhoun and Matt (The Hebrew Hammer) Bernstien

BlueBrewer
06-23-2006, 11:54 AM
Has anybody heard how these guys are doing for the cowardly lions? I was really hoping we would have drafted them, or signed Bernstien. :?:

Fosco33
06-23-2006, 01:43 PM
Lions | Marinelli discusses Calhoun
Sat, 6 May 2006 12:37:44 -0700

Detroit Lions head coach Rod Marinelli said the team looked at RB Brian Calhoun's athletic background when they drafted him. Marinelli added, "All I know is the biggest thing: if you watch him on tape, he's exceptional in the open field; vision, feet and endurance. He's showing it out here right now. It's been good. He's exciting." When asked about anything that defines Calhoun, Marinelli replied, "I just think he's got a chance to be an all-around back; a blocker, a catcher, he's smart so we can use him in different ways, durable. He's a great kid."

Jim: Tom Given the loyalty and efforts Jason Hanson and Coory Schlesinger have provided over the years, I almost have a hard time asking this question but I must. Two UDFA's I whom I believe may compete for spots are Matt Prater and Matt Bernstein. With both these vets at 35-36, what are your thoughts on these rookies, and if a change is in order, how can it be handled with the respect that both Hanson and Schlesinger deserve?

Tom Kowalski: jim ... hanson isn't going anywhere, end of story ... as for sledge, i think he'll keep his spot on the roster ... if he doesn't, i don't think it'll be because of bernstein, but because they'll shuffle some roles of the existing veterans ... things could change in camp, we'll see ...

Looks like Calhoun will be a utility guy and Bernstein will either be cut or run w/ the practice team.

BlueBrewer
06-23-2006, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the info Fosco, any more will also be appreciated.

Harlan Huckleby
06-23-2006, 05:18 PM
man, do the packers ever NEED a versatile weapon like Calhoun in their mix of running backs. Green, Gado, Davenport, Herron are all fairly similar.

Harlan Huckleby
06-23-2006, 05:18 PM
man, do the packers ever NEED a versatile weapon like Calhoun in their mix of running backs. Green, Gado, Davenport, Herron are all fairly similar.

Partial
06-23-2006, 05:30 PM
similiar like those double posts!

I agree though, it'd be nice to have a versatile 3rd down back/slot guy

Fosco33
06-23-2006, 06:01 PM
Ok, I just realized why everyone calls Najeh 'Davenpoop'. Did he really take a dump in someone's dormroom closet? :shock:

I really liked watching Herron at NW - I think, if given the shot, he could be a reliable backup.

Here's my prediction for this year:

Green gets hurt by game 6 - has about 350-400 yds, 2 TDs, 3 lost fumbles - and either retires or is not resigned by the Pack.

Gado plays a large back-up role for the first 6 games (200 yrds, 2 TDs, 2 lost fumbles) and then takes a real lead role for the last 10 games (700 yrds, 4 TDs, 4 more lost fumbles). Gado gets that Doctor itch and goes back to school.

Davenpoop finally realizes he took a dump in someone's closet and goes insane.

Herron becomes the 2nd down back and is somewhat productive.

Pack laments watching Calhoun have a successful rookie campaign with a divsion rival and wished he'd fell to the 3rd round.

Pack goes 9-7 (mainly due to defense) and has to sign a reliable RB or draft a RB with their first pick next year.

Spaulding
06-24-2006, 11:04 AM
[quote="Fosco33"]Herron becomes the 2nd down back and is somewhat productive.

What's a second down back? I've heard of 3rd down backs but is a second down back an oh shit back after you QB has been sacked for a 15 yard loss due to poor line play?

Just playing with ya

Bretsky
06-24-2006, 10:34 PM
Ok, I just realized why everyone calls Najeh 'Davenpoop'. Did he really take a dump in someone's dormroom closet? :shock:

I really liked watching Herron at NW - I think, if given the shot, he could be a reliable backup.

Here's my prediction for this year:

Green gets hurt by game 6 - has about 350-400 yds, 2 TDs, 3 lost fumbles - and either retires or is not resigned by the Pack.

Gado plays a large back-up role for the first 6 games (200 yrds, 2 TDs, 2 lost fumbles) and then takes a real lead role for the last 10 games (700 yrds, 4 TDs, 4 more lost fumbles). Gado gets that Doctor itch and goes back to school.

Herron becomes the 2nd down back and is somewhat productive.

Pack laments watching Calhoun have a successful rookie campaign with a divsion rival and wished he'd fell to the 3rd round.

Pack goes 9-7 (mainly due to defense) and has to sign a reliable RB or draft a RB with their first pick next year.

Yes he did, hence his alias as Da Crapper.

I'm pretty sure it was actually an Ex Girlfriend he left his happy log for.

Fosco33
06-25-2006, 02:04 AM
[quote=Fosco33]Herron becomes the 2nd down back and is somewhat productive.

What's a second down back? I've heard of 3rd down backs but is a second down back an oh shit back after you QB has been sacked for a 15 yard loss due to poor line play?

Just playing with ya

You got me - I meant to say a backup but got caught up in the moment of picturing a dude actually taking a dump in someone's closet.

But, shit, who knows - the way our backs/receivers get injured maybe we have the following...
1st down - incomplete pass or short gain (2nd and long). Bring in a back who can block for the passing situation.

Poop - damn that 'shit' is funny.

woodbuck27
06-25-2006, 08:31 AM
Maybe by mid season we'll be calling 'all our RB's' affectionately. . . . . . 'the Poop squad'?

Interpret that. . . . anyway you desire.

Iron Mike
06-25-2006, 09:02 AM
Maybe by mid season we'll be calling 'all our RB's' affectionately. . . . . . 'the Poop squad'?

BRB--I gotta go take a "Samkon" :razz:

Fosco33
06-25-2006, 11:18 AM

BRB--I gotta go take a "Samkon" :razz:

Guy 1: "Jeez, we're getting our asses kicked again and that burrito from last night is calling. I'm gonna go drop the Greens off at the pool."

Guy 2: "Huh? Don't you mean the kids..."

Guy 1: "Well, you see, there's this guy on the Packers who - ah nevermind... You'd never believe it anyways. K, seriously, I'm prairedoggin it - time for a dump."

Guy 1: " :shock: " " :cry: " " :mrgreen: "

MJZiggy
06-25-2006, 02:23 PM

If it wasn't it was after that! :razz:

CaliforniaCheez
06-26-2006, 06:23 PM
[quote=Fosco33]Ok, I just realized why everyone calls Najeh 'Davenpoop'. Did he really take a dump in someone's dormroom closet?

He broke in at night to do it.

Any way, I feel that Bernstien was worth a Packer 6th or 7th round draft pick.
He would have a good shot at taking Leach's roster spot. He could be use at TE for select plays.

Sometimes a good player just finds a way to get on the field

CaptainKickass
06-26-2006, 06:54 PM
One of the many versions:

While not technically an incident that took place in a bathroom, one of the most famous excretory mishaps is worthy of much note. In 2002, Green Bay Packers running back Najeh Davenport, for reasons unbeknownst to anyone, snuck into a woman's dorm room at the University of Miami and defecated in her closet. The woman said she had never met Davenport and was as dumbfounded as anyone. Davenport ultimately pleaded guilty to the charges and was sentenced to community service.

To this day, Davenport denies the charges and claims innocence. "Where's the evidence? Where's the manure?'' Davenport said. "I know I didn't do it—I just wanted to get it over with." The prosecutor in the case noted that "charges would have not been filed if there were no evidence," though he admitted that the excrement was not preserved because poo cannot not yield DNA samples and therefore would have been "useless." Davenport's exploits have been immortalized at (where else?) hampershitter.com.

CaptainKickass
06-26-2006, 06:56 PM
And check this out - the chick's last name is McCarthy - destiny?, Karma?, Coincidence? - You decide!

From ESPN.com
Monday, July 8
Updated: July 29, 1:00 PM ET

Davenport arrested on burglary charge

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

MIAMI -- Green Bay Packers fullback Najeh Davenport was arrested Monday, accused of breaking into a university dormitory and defecating in a woman's closet.

Davenport, 23, surrendered to police Monday and was charged with a second-degree felony count of burglary and a misdemeanor count of criminal mischief, said Richard Master, a Miami Shores police spokesman.

The former University of Miami player was wanted on a warrant issued in April. He was released Monday from a Miami-Dade County jail after posting a $6,500 bond. If convicted, he could be sentenced to up to 15 years in prison.

"This whole thing is a misunderstanding. Najeh had nothing to do with the situation,'' said Richard Sharpstein, Davenport's attorney.

According to police, Davenport crept into a dorm room at Barry University around 6 a.m. on April 1. A woman sleeping in the room, Mary McCarthy, told police she was startled by a strange sound and saw Davenport squatting in her closet. Davenport then allegedly defecated in a laundry basket, McCarthy told detectives.

McCarthy told police she didn't know Davenport. Campus security identified the football player from a picture in the University of Miami yearbook.

Sharpstein said he was confident authorities would drop the charges against his client.

The 6-foot-2, 248-pound Davenport was selected by the Packers in the fourth round of the NFL draft.

PackerPro42
06-26-2006, 07:40 PM
I sure hope calhoun can put up big numbers in the NFL just because he is from WIsconsin. Plus I really liked him when he played for hte badgers.

KYPack
06-27-2006, 08:46 AM

Yes he did, hence his alias as Da Crapper.

He was torn between what he did, and a Hallmark card.

After the whole deal was done, his lawyer made the immortal statement the Najeh "wanted to leave this all behind him"!

Breakin' up is hard to do.

Zool
06-27-2006, 09:13 AM
I laugh about Poopy McCloset every time I hear that story. I have to wonder if she had shoes or something on the floor of the closet.

Did he give her the Poo Shoe? If so, did she actually try the shoe on before realizing what the smell was in the closet?

Had Najeh eaten Mexican or Indian food a few hours previous?

I wish I knew the man. These are questions that need answers.

Pack0514
06-27-2006, 10:04 AM
As far as Bernstein goes, I was hoping that the Packers would draft him...... Shows how much I know. I am rooting for the guy. Anyone remember that game versus Penn State a couple years ago. He ran wild. He was hurtling would be tacklers left and right.