PDA

View Full Version : Election Tax Calculator

MadScientist
10-01-2008, 10:17 AM
See how you would do under each candidate's plan.

http://www.electiontaxes.com/

SkinBasket
10-01-2008, 10:40 AM
I'm putting my full faith in this internet calculator. Although it seems to be full of crap according to just about every other source I've read.

LL2
10-01-2008, 10:57 AM
If this tax calculator is correct I would be paying less taxes under Obama. Can that be true?

Partial
10-01-2008, 11:15 AM
I will be taxed less under Obama but earn less because of my employer being taxed to high hell.

hoosier
10-01-2008, 11:22 AM
If this tax calculator is correct I would be paying less taxes under Obama. Can that be true?

If your taxable income is under 200,000, yes, it could be true.

mraynrand
10-01-2008, 11:26 AM
I'm getting a $1000 check from the federal government (a Tax cut). That will pay for groceries for a month or so, Barack willing. Too bad that I won't be able to find a job as businesses flee overseas! But for a month, I'll be sitting pretty on that free 1K, courtesy of Barack, may he be blessed. And after that month, I'm sure I'll be able to sign up for the CCC, Obama be praised.

Scott Campbell
10-01-2008, 11:32 AM

Wouldn't everybody make less than $200K if the Dems get there way?

mraynrand
10-01-2008, 11:34 AM

Wouldn't everybody make less than $200K if the Dems get their way?

SCORE!

hoosier
10-01-2008, 11:59 AM

Wouldn't everybody make less than $200K if the Dems get there way?

Nah, just whiteys in Western states. :lol:

texaspackerbacker
10-01-2008, 12:11 PM
This is kinda a strange poll.

With a Democrat majority in Congress that could get bigger, and with the Bush tax cuts expiring and needing a positive vote for extension--not merely an effort to repeal which probably could be defeated, it makes little difference what McCain wants to do. To a lesser extent, that is also true of Obama.

Obama keeps harping away at how he would CUT taxes for 95% of the population--everybody with income under $250,000 per year. How is that a LIE--when he keeps repeating it? The answer is that Obama would NOT renew the Bush tax cuts. Therefore, the net effect--the major INCREASE from that non-renewal of the Bush cuts combined with the lesser DECREASE of Obama's redistribution program--cutting for lower income, raising for higher incomes amounts to a net increase--even for the great majority of the 95% Obama claims to be cutting taxes for.

McCain, of course, WOULD renew the Bush tax cuts and would cut taxes more, but all of that is moot with a rotten tax-raising leftist Congress.

sheepshead
10-01-2008, 12:14 PM
Any increase in taxes for anyone is nuts. Is the middle classes federal tax bill really a problem? property taxes, sales taxes etc are out of control, but how much is this really an issue? Negligible, it's just the typical dem election year BS. Stick it to fat cats crap. Problem is Bill Clinton is correct, the American voter doesnt pay attention and is really ignorant and doesnt want to take the time to learn the issues. They'll spend more time on the Simpsons and American Idol.

mraynrand
10-01-2008, 12:19 PM
Any increase in taxes for anyone is nuts. Is the middle classes federal tax bill really a problem? property taxes, sales taxes etc are out of control, but how much is this really an issue? Negligible, it's just the typical dem election year BS. Stick it to fat cats crap. Problem is Bill Clinton is correct, the American voter doesnt pay attention and is really ignorant and doesnt want to take the time to learn the issues. They'll spend more time on the Simpsons and American Idol.

I thought that was Obama, may he be praised.

MadScientist
10-01-2008, 01:09 PM
Obama keeps harping away at how he would CUT taxes for 95% of the population--everybody with income under $250,000 per year. How is that a LIE--when he keeps repeating it? The answer is that Obama would NOT renew the Bush tax cuts. Therefore, the net effect--the major INCREASE from that non-renewal of the Bush cuts combined with the lesser DECREASE of Obama's redistribution program--cutting for lower income, raising for higher incomes amounts to a net increase--even for the great majority of the 95% Obama claims to be cutting taxes for.
Tex I pointed out in the other thread (complete with an independent link) that your statement is bullshit. Obama's plan would continue the existing tax cuts for the under $250K taxpayers ($200K for individuals). If you wish to argue merits of various proposals fine, but start with actual facts instead of ignorance or outright lies.

HowardRoark
10-01-2008, 01:26 PM
Tex I pointed out in the other thread (complete with an independent link) that your statement is bullshit. Obama's plan would continue the existing tax cuts for the under $250K taxpayers ($200K for individuals). If you wish to argue merits of various proposals fine, but start with actual facts instead of ignorance or outright lies.

Madscientist, of all the Lefties, I enjoy reading your posts; they conspicuously avoid “bumper sticker” arguments.

This thread is a good “trap” for Conservatives. As I listen to Obama’s plan, you are correct, unless you earn over $250,000, you really won’t be affected by his tax policy. But that’s just on its face.

This is where a Conservative has to have true convictions. What about the general belief that we want to strive to be above $250,000? Or, that we don’t believe that the Fed. Gov’t should take that wealth from the so called “wealthy” and give it (outright to certain people) to the less wealthy. That it is immoral to fund certain policies with money that those who give do not believe in. Etc, etc.

Obama did play it right with his little “donut” of people at $102,500 (or whatever the Social Security wage is this year) to $250,000. The vast, VAST majority of people are under $250,000….so the votes are there.

I would pose another question to Obama though; shouldn’t he index this arbitrary number to the cost of living of where you live. $250,000 in Manhattan is squat…..whereas in Rapid City, you live like a king.

texaspackerbacker
10-01-2008, 01:33 PM

Forgive me if I don't believe that, MadScientist. I'm fairly sure Obama is on record as saying he would vote against extending the Bush tax cuts as a senator. Do you have evidence that Obama claims he wants the Bush tax cuts extended? I really don't believe he advocates that. If you already posted that, please repost it, as I missed it.

HowardRoark
10-01-2008, 01:53 PM
There is more to this story though......marital deductions (estate planning), etc.

More revenue will be coming into the Treasury and out of our pockets in an Obama regime.

rdanomly
10-01-2008, 02:34 PM
There is more to this story though......marital deductions (estate planning), etc.

More revenue will be coming into the Treasury and out of our pockets in an Obama regime.

Someone has to pony up for W's contractor friends working in Iraq.

mraynrand
10-01-2008, 02:38 PM

I doubt it. The economy will contract, businesses will leave, and revenues will drop sharply. If Obama guts the military (cutting spending in half and leaving Iraq immediately), he might recoup enough to hold even, but he's made a lot of promises to the military and veterans as well, so this is unlikely, at least within the first 2-3 years of his administration. I honestly don't know where the money for his spending proposals will come from. perhaps there will be a way to increase the loaves and fishes, Obama willing..

HowardRoark
10-01-2008, 02:46 PM

I doubt it. The economy will contract, businesses will leave, and revenues will drop sharply. If Obama guts the military (cutting spending in half and leaving Iraq immediately), he might recoup enough to hold even, but he's made a lot of promises to the military and veterans as well, so this is unlikely, at least within the first 2-3 years of his administration. I honestly don't know where the money for his spending proposals will come from. perhaps there will be a way to increase the loaves and fishes, Obama willing..

Yes, you are right (forgot my Laffer Curve), but the second part of my sentence I stand by.

BTW....keep this stuff up:

perhaps there will be a way to increase the loaves and fishes, Obama willing...

it's the only humor I have so far this week.

HowardRoark
10-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Someone has to pony up for W's contractor friends working in Iraq.

Does that fit on one bumper sticker, or does it take two? And what color Volvo does it look best on?

Scott Campbell
10-01-2008, 03:19 PM
I doubt it. The economy will contract, businesses will leave, and revenues will drop sharply.

Agreed. Rates will be up, but 40% of 0 is still 0. That's what pandering to the economic underachievers will get you.

MadScientist
10-01-2008, 04:04 PM

Forgive me if I don't believe that, MadScientist. I'm fairly sure Obama is on record as saying he would vote against extending the Bush tax cuts as a senator. Do you have evidence that Obama claims he wants the Bush tax cuts extended? I really don't believe he advocates that. If you already posted that, please repost it, as I missed it.

Here's a couple:
http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/news/0806/gallery.election_issues/11.html
And for a more complete look at both proposals, here's the analysis used in the calculator:
http://knol.google.com/k/jeffrey-gramlich/the-mccain-and-obama-tax-plans-for/2k7f943jjgete/3#
Scroll down to the section on tax rates for the discussion.

There is no credible source for your take on things.