PDA

View Full Version : Justin Harrell in best shape ever as a Packer

motife
10-01-2008, 05:21 PM
Per PFW :

"Harrell progressing nicely and appears to be in the best shape since he joined the Packers as a 1st round pick in 2007."

When Harrell's played he's been a force at stopping the run. Don't discount Jeremy Thompson either with Jenkins out. His pass rush looked awesome in the last preseason game.

Bretsky
10-01-2008, 05:22 PM
Seeing Harrell has come into both camps out of shape being in the best shape may not say much

BallHawk
10-01-2008, 05:41 PM
So he can get off the couch now?

Progress indeed.

retailguy
10-01-2008, 06:04 PM
Seeing Harrell has come into both camps out of shape being in the best shape may not say much

ye of little faith. :shock:

retailguy
10-01-2008, 06:05 PM
So he can get off the couch now?

Progress indeed.

only if he pulls himself up with his left arm.

Joemailman
10-01-2008, 07:03 PM
What a bunch of Negative Nellies. :wink: Hopefully Pickett, Cole and Jolly can hang in there until Harrell is ready to contribute. Those guys have done a nice job in a tough situation, made tougher by the Jenkins injury.

texaspackerbacker
10-01-2008, 07:13 PM
We're due for a bit of good news.

There's really never been anything all that bad about Harrell other than the health thing. If he can get that behind him, he could be a real big help. The Bates/Sanders defense calls for a couple of Pickett/Harrell types in the middle. With the LBs and DEs we have, things could be really fine if Harrell comes through.

Goat
10-01-2008, 07:34 PM
I don't think it is all doom and gloom. if they can get some better alley play out of both safties and Barnett wakes up from his slump it will be better.

Keep believing.

Harlan Huckleby
10-01-2008, 07:49 PM
the D line has played pretty decently.

Cullin Jenkins surprised me this year, he was a difference maker.

A real problem to replace him at defensive end, forget about the DT rotation.

BobDobbs
10-01-2008, 08:36 PM
the D line has played pretty decently.

Cullin Jenkins surprised me this year, he was a difference maker.

A real problem to replace him at defensive end, forget about the DT rotation.

Very true. As long as Jolly can show up and Cole can make himself useful we may be ok at DT.

But KGB has to come out of hibernation or we are not going to have any pass rush. Especially with the injuries in the secondary we have to bring some pressure.

DonHutson
10-01-2008, 09:56 PM
And that shape is... round.

Carolina_Packer
10-01-2008, 10:06 PM
When is he eligible to come off the PUP?

retailguy
10-01-2008, 10:24 PM
When is he eligible to come off the PUP?

after the 6th week of the season.

RashanGary
10-02-2008, 07:40 AM
I'm beginning to lose confidence in Justin Harrell. Year 1 can be a fluke. Year two is the start of a pattern. Year 3 and he is what he is.

retailguy
10-02-2008, 08:48 AM
I'm beginning to lose confidence in Justin Harrell. Year 1 can be a fluke. Year two is the start of a pattern. Year 3 and he is what he is.

Beginning? Hell, it's about time.

I guess it "might" turn out ok, but where are the odds? Can you say "Tony Mandarich"?

bobblehead
10-02-2008, 09:36 AM
And that shape is... round.

I heard he has the body of a god......budha!!

Carolina_Packer
10-02-2008, 10:35 AM

I guess it "might" turn out ok, but where are the odds? Can you say "Tony Mandarich"?

I assume you compare them as busts, not you think JH takes roids. If he is, they are clearly not working.

MadtownPacker
10-02-2008, 10:40 AM
At this point Harrell should be encouraged to take roids. Where is bill romanoski when you need him?

LL2
10-02-2008, 10:40 AM
Per PFW :

"Harrell progressing nicely and appears to be in the best shape since he joined the Packers as a 1st round pick in 2007."

When Harrell's played he's been a force at stopping the run. Don't discount Jeremy Thompson either with Jenkins out. His pass rush looked awesome in the last preseason game.

I'd love to see Jeremy Thompson become the future DE. While I like Cullen and think he's a good player, I do not think he's the impact player many hoped he would be.

mission
10-02-2008, 11:19 AM
Per PFW :

I'd love to see Jeremy Thompson become the future DE. While I like Cullen and think he's a good player, I do not think he's the impact player many hoped he would be.

So you haven't watched any games this year, you're saying?

Tony Oday
10-02-2008, 12:22 PM
Per PFW :

So you haven't watched any games this year, you're saying?

Jenkins is a KEY cog in out line and we will REALLY miss him this season.

That being said injuries happen thats why we pay backups!

retailguy
10-02-2008, 12:42 PM

I assume you compare them as busts, not you think JH takes roids. If he is, they are clearly not working.

Yeah, I wasn't thinking about 'roids. Maybe I should have been, but I wasn't.

In all fairness, it's probably too soon to officially label him a bust, but there isn't very much information out there that suggests this relationship is going to end well.

Maybe he'll get pissed off at all the bust talk and play harder, but at this point it doesn't look good.

LEWCWA
10-02-2008, 04:19 PM
I don't understand this. I thought this was Harrell's second season. If he comes back and contributes this season, what is the problem. I think people are going to be pleasantly suprised by this guy second half of the season.

Scott Campbell
10-02-2008, 04:29 PM
I sure hope so. We've been waiting long enough.

oregonpackfan
10-02-2008, 04:44 PM

My sentiments exactly.

Pacopete4
10-02-2008, 05:04 PM

My sentiments exactly.

yep.. hard to feed me that the guy is anything but worthless to this team at this point...

Scott Campbell
10-02-2008, 06:39 PM

My sentiments exactly.

yep.. hard to feed me that the guy is anything but worthless to this team at this point...

I don't think anybody is saying that. If he was worthless, they'd cut him.

Fritz
10-03-2008, 10:53 AM
I've heard that Harrell's been working out with Donnell Washington and Cletidus Hunt.

mraynrand
10-03-2008, 11:00 AM
What's the old saw? You can't teach size, you can't teach speed. JH is one huge fast dude. I just hope he gets healthy. I want to see the guy play at 100%. Now, it's possible he just isn't a football player - may not have the knack, but man does he have the physical tools. Waiting...waiting.....

bobblehead
10-03-2008, 11:04 AM
What's the old saw? You can't teach size, you can't teach speed. JH is one huge fast dude. I just hope he gets healthy. I want to see the guy play at 100%. Now, it's possible he just isn't a football player - may not have the knack, but man does he have the physical tools. Waiting...waiting.....

That is similar to the bill parcells planet theory. It goes: there are a very limited numer of guys after a certain size that are good athletes too. If you get a chance to draft one of them you gotta do it. 6'6" 300+ guys who are strong athletic and fast are extremely rare. Unfortunately ones that stay healthy are even more rare.

rbaloha1
10-03-2008, 12:10 PM
JH flashed power and explosion last year. Dude is hungry. Expect good play. My only initial concern is stamina.

KYPack
10-03-2008, 12:46 PM
Harrell is in week 4 of six weeks on the physically unable to perform list. Exactly one week from Monday, he will be eligible to practice and be activated to the 53-man roster, although the Packers can take up to three weeks to decide whether to play him or put him on season-ending injured reserve.

If he can help us, it's like getting money from home when you didn't even write mom a letter.

DonHutson
10-03-2008, 04:26 PM
If he can help us, it's like getting money from home when you didn't even write mom a letter.

If he was FA pickup I'd agree with that. But he was a #1 pick. If he can help us when he gets back, I'd say it's like finally getting the merchandise you ordered and paid for two years ago.

mraynrand
10-03-2008, 05:05 PM
JH flashed power and explosion last year. Dude is hungry. Expect good play. My only initial concern is stamina.

That's how he got into trouble in the first place.

KYPack
10-03-2008, 05:58 PM

I know what you mean, Don and Ayn. I was pissed when I heard JH's routine after the NFC Championship game. He went home to mama and ate himself to oblivion. He didn't hit a lick. Then he walked into an NFL weight room. They were under the impression that he followed the agenda they gave him. So, they worked him out and he blew out his back.

A gig as an NFL Dlineman requires a lot more work than this kid planned to put into it. He's gotta learn to get his fat ass in cardio shape and build his strength. Talent he's got. It's more than just talent. He's got to apply some work ethic.

steve823
10-03-2008, 07:30 PM

I know what you mean, Don and Ayn. I was pissed when I heard JH's routine after the NFC Championship game. He went home to mama and ate himself to oblivion. He didn't hit a lick. Then he walked into an NFL weight room. They were under the impression that he followed the agenda they gave him. So, they worked him out and he blew out his back.

A gig as an NFL Dlineman requires a lot more work than this kid planned to put into it. He's gotta learn to get his fat ass in cardio shape and build his strength. Talent he's got. It's more than just talent. He's got to apply some work ethic.

I agree. He did nothing at all and caused the injuries that he got. But hopefully thats all over and he realized what it takes to be a d-linemen.

Im hoping he turns out to be great because that would really help our run d with him and pickett in the middle.

Cheesehead Craig
10-03-2008, 07:46 PM
I just hope that someone starts checking in on him in the next offseason, or that they make him stay in GB and follow an offseason workout plan. I'd hate to have this be a yearly thing with him.

wist43
10-04-2008, 05:35 AM
Harrel's a bust... and a fine example of TT's arrogance.

Let's a productive player like Williams walk rather than pay him, and tries to plug Harrell into the hole, despite the fact that it's pretty obvious the guy can't play.

Rastak
10-04-2008, 07:11 AM

Let's a productive player like Williams walk rather than pay him, and tries to plug Harrell into the hole, despite the fact that it's pretty obvious the guy can't play.

I don't know if that is arrogance. A first round pick is a big investment for a team and since the dudes been hurt almost the whole time he's gotta give the guy every chance. Hindsight is 20/20, I thought a 2nd rounder for Williams was a pretty good deal. I do think TT is a moron for going into the season with zero starts at all three qb positions, so he isn't perfect.

KYPack
10-04-2008, 08:00 AM

Oh, I dunno about "can't play". If he can't get on the field ever, sure, he's a bust. He showed several flashes in pre-season and in the regular season games he played last year. The guy has skills, he's just a very immature kid. He didn't realize how hard you must train to make it in the league.

I think it's a mistake to try and play him this year. I'd like to see them whip him in shape, get his wind and weight room work in. Then give him about two days to go back to mama's house and get him back to GB. When he can run and lift the gym, have him ready for next season. Rushing a youg blood like this could end a pretty strange career.

pbmax
10-04-2008, 08:42 AM

Williams was as productive as a traffic pylon in the second half of last year and had been surpassed by Jolly until the latter's injury. If his pass rush disappeared that fast, then I question how productive he would be over the long haul. And he is not headed to the Pro Bowl in Cleveland right now.

As big a question is what will Harrell be like next year. Is he in shape just because he is in town and can do nothing else? Having your mistake fixed by the professionals is one thing, avoiding the mistake is a different challenge.

Scott Campbell
10-04-2008, 08:47 AM
Harrel's a bust...

That's a fine example of a statement that can come back to haunt you. It may end up true. It might end up not true. Nobody has watched enough of this guy yet to have an informed opinion.

He's been injury prone. But none of them are career threatening.

retailguy
10-04-2008, 08:49 AM
Harrel's a bust...

That's a fine example of a statement that can come back to haunt you. It may end up true. It might end up not true. Nobody has watched enough of this guy yet to have an informed opinion.

But, combined they may be. Harrell conjures up visions of Cleditus Hunt. Hunt could also play, but he was lazy. Mama's boy Harrell looks the part, so far...

Scott Campbell
10-04-2008, 08:52 AM
Harrel's a bust...

But, combined they may be.

Agreed. But the jury is still out.

retailguy
10-04-2008, 08:55 AM
Harrel's a bust...

But, combined they may be.

Agreed. But the jury is still out.

Nope. They came in yesterday evening. 13 years late. Guilty on all counts... The fat lady is singing her heart out.

falco
10-04-2008, 09:06 AM
you win some, you lose some

even if harrell is a huge bust, you're going to need a larger body of evidence to put TT away

retailguy
10-04-2008, 11:14 AM

even if harrell is a huge bust, you're going to need a larger body of evidence to put TT away

well for me, it's not about 'putting Ted away', can't we compromise and fix the DL and OL? :wink:

DonHutson
10-04-2008, 11:57 AM
I think they saw the writing on the wall that Williams wouldn't produce after a big contract. They never really tried to sign him, and Ted is typically very proactive about guys he wants to keep.

Thus far in Cleveland, Williams is proving that notion to be true. They're very disappointed with him.

bobblehead
10-04-2008, 01:37 PM

It certainly seems to be heading that way, but they are going to give him this season and next TC for sure. If he can't cut it, well, he might be cut. Likely his base salary for '09 isn't too hefty though and he would have to flat out get beat for a spot on the roster.

Pugger
10-04-2008, 03:12 PM
I'm not surprised that Williams is disappointing the staff in Cleveland. When Jolly went down last year Williams began to start and our pass rush disapeared. I had no problem with TT shipping that guy off to the Browns at all, even tho we are woefully thin on the D line right now. Let's hope Harrell can come back and eat up blockers in a couple of weeks. 8-)

pbmax
10-04-2008, 04:39 PM
But, combined they may be. Harrell conjures up visions of Cleditus Hunt. Hunt could also play, but he was lazy. Mama's boy Harrell looks the part, so far...
How certain are we that this is the story? I know McGinn had that version, that he came in out of shape. But was that really the reason he hurt his back? Seems likely its more complicated than one single cause. But I could hvae missed something.

BobDobbs
10-04-2008, 08:42 PM
Harrell conjures up visions of Cleditus Hunt.
To conjure visions of Hunt he's got to have one good season first. When is Harrell's contract year, maybe he'll get on to the field for that one.

SnakeLH2006
10-04-2008, 11:15 PM

Yep...didn't have to read any more, nor did I after this classic, astute post. END TOPIC.

wist43
10-04-2008, 11:29 PM

well for me, it's not about 'putting Ted away', can't we compromise and fix the DL and OL? :wink:

No, we can't b/c there is no compromise in "building" an OL of mighty midgets... with the philosophy they have in place, no QB = no chance. It's that simple.

Defensively, no corners = no chance. Maybe Harrell can play corner??? He certainly can't play DT. The guy can't move his feet well enough to ever be a difference maker. 1st round picks should be difference makers IMO.

Maybe by 2011... but i doubt it. I don't see TT admitting he can't win with the philosophies he currently has in place. It'll take his being fired, and I don't see that happening any time soon either.

Gonna be a long, long time b/4 we sniff another championship.