PDA

View Full Version : Why the Packers will have trouble Sunday.

CaliforniaCheez
10-03-2008, 10:27 AM
Basic Football.

The Falcons lead the NFL in rushing yards/game.

The Packers rushing defense is 26th in the league.

The D-line and Nick Barnett have beeen shoved around almost at will this season. It could get very ugly.

The Packers can't run the ball and have refused to play a lot of Brandon Jackson. Grant has been fumbling away too much. So the Packers throw the ball a lot. Matt Flynn will be going against the 13th ranked pass defense. Flynn has almost doubled his practice time with the team since training camp.

I wish there were more positives.

I don't want to see the Packers go below .500 at Lambeau Field but they will have to do something they haven't done this season. Stop the run.

To rest the injured and currently ineffective Barnett, for this game, I would start Bishop at MLB.

Time for McCarthy to earn his now increased salary and not say the same lame things that never change after the game. He better fix that run defense and run some tackling drills and practice in preparation.

Losing the divisional lead would be painful.

Tony Oday
10-03-2008, 10:32 AM
Wow Bishop over Barnett?

No the reason that Barnett looks like he is getting pushed around is because our DTs are not holding the point of attack so he can flow to the ball. Not even Ray Lewis in his prime could play the run effectivley if his DTs didnt play well.

Ballboy
10-03-2008, 11:04 AM
I think the key play will be from our SS & FS.....I would guess we need extra in the box to stop the run...Ryan shouldn't scare us as a QB.

Rastak
10-03-2008, 11:06 AM
I kind of doubt Flynn will get the call Sunday. Rodgers plays most likely unless somebody has some updated news.

rbaloha1
10-03-2008, 12:00 PM
If AR plays we most likely win. Ryan will make plays but we make more and win.

If Flynn plays its a possibly ugly win.

Zool
10-03-2008, 01:15 PM
Week 1 - 318 against the Lions
Week 2 - 105 against the Bucs
Week 3 - 186 against the Chiefs
Week 4 - 118 against the Panthers

Teams that actually play D in the secondary and can score some points hold them to ~100 yards. I'm not overly worried. The one guy that really worries me is Norwood. He's another Felix Jones type. Fast and quick. He could really do some damage on delays and screens if AJ is out.

KYPack
10-03-2008, 01:43 PM
Them's the facts, Jack.

What the hell has happened to Barnett? He looked like he was ready to move into the top echelon of MLB's and then? Look out below. I think he was aggressive when Jolly and Pickett were playing tough up front, but he has fallen off the map this season.

Rush defense has to improve or we are heading to St Louis-style play.

Tarlam!
10-03-2008, 02:23 PM
Is it legal, now that Barnett is playing poorly, to officially announce how much I wished TT had kept Abdul around?

Tony Oday
10-03-2008, 03:22 PM
Is it legal, now that Barnett is playing poorly, to officially announce how much I wished TT had kept Abdul around?

no

Tyrone Bigguns
10-03-2008, 03:57 PM

Teams that actually play D in the secondary and can score some points hold them to ~100 yards. I'm not overly worried. The one guy that really worries me is Norwood. He's another Felix Jones type. Fast and quick. He could really do some damage on delays and screens if AJ is out.

You are worried about Norwood? Really?

Not worried about Michael "the burner" Turner?

Zool
10-03-2008, 04:08 PM

You are worried about Norwood? Really?

Not worried about Michael "the burner" Turner?

Our LB's tend to ignore a secondary back for whatever reason. See Jones, Felix. Barber pounded the team into the ground, but not many big gains just steady chunks. I can live with that. Its the 40+ runs that they like to give up that are back breakers. If not for an outstanding play by Woodson, Jones had 2 long TD's in the Dallas game.

Joemailman
10-03-2008, 05:04 PM
I thought the Packers run defense was respectable against TB until they got worn out in the 2nd half from being on the field so much. A little ball control by the offense would help the situation.

texaspackerbacker
10-03-2008, 06:43 PM
I think Rodgers plays, but after a week of taking most of the snaps with the first team, I wouldn't bet against Flynn doing all right if needed.

As for the O Line and Grant, whether it will be like last year or like so far this year, who knows. I see no logical reason they shouldn't be like last year if Grant is healthy. It hasn't happened yet this season, though.

As for the defense, the injuries are mounting up, but the performance has still been good. Peprah at Safety worries me more than anything else.

Kyle.McCarroll
10-03-2008, 06:52 PM
Our LB's tend to ignore a secondary back for whatever reason. See Jones, Felix. Barber pounded the team into the ground, but not many big gains just steady chunks. I can live with that. Its the 40+ runs that they like to give up that are back breakers. If not for an outstanding play by Woodson, Jones had 2 long TD's in the Dallas game.

You can live with what Barber did to our D??

28 rushes, 142 yards. 5.1 YPC.

Because I can't.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-03-2008, 07:53 PM

Because I can't.

QFT

Scott Campbell
10-03-2008, 08:17 PM
QFT.

RashanGary
10-03-2008, 08:38 PM
I'd love to have a Hawk, Bishop, Poppinga starting LB corp with Barnett replacing Poppinga on pass downs. I'd love it even more if we could trade Barnett for a 1st round pick.

Partial
10-03-2008, 08:41 PM
I'd love to have a Hawk, Bishop, Poppinga starting LB corp with Barnett replacing Poppinga on pass downs. I'd love it even more if we could trade Barnett for a 1st round pick.

Why would you trade a great player in his prime for a first round pick that could potentially be tony M and set the franchise back years with the money committed?

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense imo.

RashanGary
10-03-2008, 08:46 PM
I'm not a Barnett fan. I think he's an average tackler, undersized, weak for his position and prone to letting his guy catch the ball rather than reading the route and attacking the ball. Not much better than Paris Lenon IMO.

Dabaddestbear
10-04-2008, 12:30 AM
You will be lucky to get a 4th for him. :roll:

BZnDallas
10-04-2008, 12:38 AM

go back to motel 6!... you're boring us... you used to be entertaining but now not so much...

Dabaddestbear
10-04-2008, 12:43 AM

go back to motel 6!... you're boring us... you used to be entertaining but now not so much...
Not looking to entertain you kid.
But I did stay at a Holiday Inn, which I hear qualifies me to be a member on the Packers team this year. :wink:

Zool
10-04-2008, 03:16 AM

Because I can't.

QFT

Well then you better stop watching teh Packers D. They are a bend but dont break D and most teams don't have TO and Whitten to keep the safeties back. The Falcons certainly don't. Its the big play that will kill them, not the short ground game. The D last year bent but didnt break. This year, those long runs are breaking us.

wist43
10-04-2008, 05:40 AM
This game doesn't matter, the 2008 season doesn't matter... the Packers aren't built properly and have no chance of winning anything until they find a QB for their QB dependent offensive system.

Never mind their defensive problems...

As I've been saying years, finesse football w/o a HOF/All Pro calibur QB is a recipe for many seasons of mediocrity, or worse.

If you're going to have a guy like Rodgers under center, you better have a mammoth OL, a solid running game, and a stout defense - preferrably a 3-4.

Of course the Packers have none of these things, and 2011 is the best we can hope for I fear... maybe by then TT will figure out there is something wrong with the formula.

mraynrand
10-04-2008, 08:52 AM
This game doesn't matter, the 2008 season doesn't matter... the Packers aren't built properly and have no chance of winning anything until they find a QB for their QB dependent offensive system.

As I've been saying years, finesse football w/o a HOF/All Pro calibur QB is a recipe for many seasons of mediocrity, or worse.

If you're going to have a guy like Rodgers under center, you better have a mammoth OL, a solid running game, and a stout defense - preferrably a 3-4.

Of course the Packers have none of these things, and 2011 is the best we can hope for I fear... maybe by then TT will figure out there is something wrong with the formula.

If you're right, TT will not figure it out with McCarthy as head coach. Unless McCarty starts to sour on the defensive scheme and on the ZBS. 2011 may be optimistic under you scenario. BTW, Barnett's having a hell of a season, isn't he?

RashanGary
10-04-2008, 12:27 PM
This game doesn't matter, the 2008 season doesn't matter... the Packers aren't built properly.

I think you might be right. Big, physical football teams (Philly, Dallas, NE a couple years ago, Pittsburgh a couple years ago, NY Giants, etc. . .)

It seems like the best post season teams tend to be the toughest overall teams. We NEED a bigger, badder OL and we need a deeper, more physical front 7.

Fred's Slacks
10-04-2008, 01:10 PM

You might be right that this season doesn't matter. If Rodgers misses some extended time and the OL continues to play the way it has, we will not make the playoffs this season. But I don't agree that Rodgers is even remotely the problem. Our absolute biggest problem right now is the OL. I don't think they need to be bigger. They need to be technically sound. They are making a ton of fundamental errors and its killing the team. Denver has put together some dominate teams with undersized OL. They were nasty and fundamental perfectionists. We are not close to that. Unfortunately, it may be too late to fix it as now the defense is beat up beyond recognition (due to being on the field too much because we can't control the football). It's too bad because this season had a lot of promise.

SnakeLH2006
10-05-2008, 12:38 AM
Wow Bishop over Barnett?

No the reason that Barnett looks like he is getting pushed around is because our DTs are not holding the point of attack so he can flow to the ball. Not even Ray Lewis in his prime could play the run effectivley if his DTs didnt play well.

QFT although in his prime Ray Lewis could stab a mofo and get away with it too.

I think the key play will be from our SS & FS.....I would guess we need extra in the box to stop the run...Ryan shouldn't scare us as a QB.

Too bad we are down to our stop gap safety Charlie Peprah. Could be a long ass game unless Iron Man Aaron plays.

[/img]

CaliforniaCheez
10-05-2008, 07:11 AM
Maybe McCarthy will get it fixed as promised.

Pugger
10-05-2008, 09:21 AM
quote]

You might be right that this season doesn't matter. If Rodgers misses some extended time and the OL continues to play the way it has, we will not make the playoffs this season. But I don't agree that Rodgers is even remotely the problem. Our absolute biggest problem right now is the OL. I don't think they need to be bigger. They need to be technically sound. They are making a ton of fundamental errors and its killing the team. Denver has put together some dominate teams with undersized OL. They were nasty and fundamental perfectionists. We are not close to that. Unfortunately, it may be too late to fix it as now the defense is beat up beyond recognition (due to being on the field too much because we can't control the football). It's too bad because this season had a lot of promise.

What Fred said. :wink: I suppose on a couple of instances Aaron hung onto the ball too long but more often than not he was getting creamed or running for his life. Unless that O line gets its act together it won't matter who is under center today. :(

Rastak
10-05-2008, 10:04 AM
Wow Bishop over Barnett?

QFT although in his prime Ray Lewis could stab a mofo and get away with it too.

Too bad we are down to our stop gap safety Charlie Peprah. Could be a long ass game unless Iron Man Aaron plays.

[/img]

Ray Lewis was never accused of stabbing anyone. It was his posse and he was charged because he tried to cover it up.

packerbacker1234
10-05-2008, 10:10 AM
Basic Football.

The Falcons lead the NFL in rushing yards/game.

The Packers rushing defense is 26th in the league.

The D-line and Nick Barnett have beeen shoved around almost at will this season. It could get very ugly.

The Packers can't run the ball and have refused to play a lot of Brandon Jackson. Grant has been fumbling away too much. So the Packers throw the ball a lot. Matt Flynn will be going against the 13th ranked pass defense. Flynn has almost doubled his practice time with the team since training camp.

I wish there were more positives.

I don't want to see the Packers go below .500 at Lambeau Field but they will have to do something they haven't done this season. Stop the run.

To rest the injured and currently ineffective Barnett, for this game, I would start Bishop at MLB.

Time for McCarthy to earn his now increased salary and not say the same lame things that never change after the game. He better fix that run defense and run some tackling drills and practice in preparation.

Losing the divisional lead would be painful.

You make it easy to throw this post out the window. Look at the home/away statsitics of the Falcons. They currently have the WORST rushing offense on the road in the entire NFL.

Or, do we only count the home games?

BZnDallas
10-05-2008, 07:10 PM

Not looking to entertain you kid.
But I did stay at a Holiday Inn, which I hear qualifies me to be a member on the Packers team this year. :wink:

kid huh?... thanx, i appreciate that, i think that may be the nicest thing anyone has said to me on here...

if you aren't looking to entertain then make some reasonable comments... otherwise its entertainment on some level... think about it kid...