PDA

View Full Version : Can you hear me now?

CaliforniaCheez
10-03-2008, 10:34 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3622808

The Washington Redskins were ordered to provide deaf and hard-of-hearing fans with "equal access to aural content" in the team's stadium, such as music lyrics, ads and other broadcasts on the public-address system.

This week's court ruling is the first of its kind under the Americans with Disabilities Act and will likely affect other sports venues, said Joseph Espo, a lawyer for three Redskins fans who filed the lawsuit in 2006.

Williams ruled the stadium must go further to accommodate the deaf, writing that the Americans With Disabilities Act requires that the team provide "full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations available at FedEx Field.

The judge did not specify how FedEx Field should comply with the law. But the ruling noted that the plaintiffs in this case would not be helped by assisted listening devices, which patrons have long been provided at FedEx Field upon request.

Why can't people be blissfully undisturbed by advertizing and the loud mouthed drunkard 5 rows up?

dabootski
10-03-2008, 10:38 AM
ridiculous.

but not surprising.

Tony Oday
10-03-2008, 10:41 AM
This is a fricken joke I mean really? It would not be equal..I cant see without my contacts so since I am impaired I think I should be able to watch the game from the sideline!

This judge should be drug out in the street and shot.

bobblehead
10-03-2008, 11:06 AM
just anoher case of gov't mandating something ridiculous. While we are at it I think they should mandate 50% efficient solar panels that cost $1 each.

ThunderDan
10-03-2008, 03:47 PM
This is a fricken joke I mean really? It would not be equal..I cant see without my contacts so since I am impaired I think I should be able to watch the game from the sideline!

This judge should be drug out in the street and shot.

Glad to know we have such caring members here. :x

Most vision problems can be easily correct with glasses. A lot of hearing issues can be resolved with hearing aids. Total deafness or blindness can not be resolved. Things can be done to make their life better. Like CC on TVs or voice over on TVs.

I guess we shouldn't let deaf and blind people have the same enjoyment as others. Let's stick them in their own special places away from the rest of us. That's what use to happen to deaf and blind people. Some of the greatest musicians of our time have been blind. Luckily, we didn't put them away.

Once we don't let them enjoy the stadium what else are we going to take away?

sharpe1027
10-03-2008, 04:42 PM
I guess we shouldn't let deaf and blind people have the same enjoyment as others. Let's stick them in their own special places away from the rest of us. That's what use to happen to deaf and blind people. Some of the greatest musicians of our time have been blind. Luckily, we didn't put them away.

You make it sound like the Redskins were actively preventing them from enjoying the stadium. :roll:

ThunderDan
10-03-2008, 04:50 PM

You make it sound like the Redskins were actively preventing them from enjoying the stadium. :roll:

Have you ever taken a blind friend to a movie? If we were quiet like the movie theater asks my friend wouldn't have any clue what was going on!!

I'm sure putting CC on the Jumbotron wouldn't break the Redskins bank.

Tony Oday
10-03-2008, 09:00 PM
You damn right I am heartless. This is activist judging at its best. Should we make it so that there is not alcohol offered in sections with alcoholics? Should we make it that fat people shouldn't have fatty foods in their section?

If they can get into the stadium and can get to the seat they know what the hell they are getting. I dont go into a bar in Wisconsin and expect people to stop smoking. I don't go into a football bar and ask them to turn on Sex in the City.

I know these are absurd comparisons however this is what will happen if people do not take a stand.

Why cant a hearing impaired person bring headphones and a walkman? Why is it mandated that the Redskins provide it for them? It a fricken joke!

MadScientist
10-04-2008, 12:09 AM
Why cant a hearing impaired person bring headphones and a walkman? Why is it mandated that the Redskins provide it for them? It a fricken joke!
Perhaps because he can't hear so a walkman is kind of useless?
The ruling was overkill, as it sounds like the Redskins had responded to the suit by doing the important things - play and emergency info being displayed (which I would say useful to more than just the deaf). The ADA doesn't allow for reasonable accommodation.

cheesner
10-04-2008, 02:23 AM

Have you ever taken a blind friend to a movie? If we were quiet like the movie theater asks my friend wouldn't have any clue what was going on!!

I'm sure putting CC on the Jumbotron wouldn't break the Redskins bank.Of course not.

Why bother all the other people? Or are you just that special that you can be inconsiderate to everyone else?

Personally, I just wait till the movie comes out on DVD and then watch it in the comfort of our own home. My blind friend wouldn't have it any other way. She is an amazing gal, if you meet her at her house, you probably wouldn't even know she was blind. It is difficult to even call it a handicap.

MJZiggy
10-04-2008, 09:06 AM
Funny, I know a blind man who has season tickets to the Redskins at FedEx field. They came up with a bizarre way of handling the problem. His wife does play-by-play for him while they're there. Tells him the formations, and keeps him tuned in to what's happening. She's not much of a fan, but she's well informed in the game because he loves it and she loves him.

I think they could easily solve this problem by providing a handheld device that has the captioning on it. Though how would you know the slant of the person who is reading so you know which team's information to provide. I mean, the basics are already on the jumbotron...

retailguy
10-04-2008, 11:16 AM
Funny, I know a blind man who has season tickets to the Redskins at FedEx field. They came up with a bizarre way of handling the problem. His wife does play-by-play for him while they're there. Tells him the formations, and keeps him tuned in to what's happening. She's not much of a fan, but she's well informed in the game because he loves it and she loves him.

I think they could easily solve this problem by providing a handheld device that has the captioning on it. Though how would you know the slant of the person who is reading so you know which team's information to provide. I mean, the basics are already on the jumbotron...

Couldn't they provide 2 guys? One with the Skins slant and one with the opponents? I'll bet ppl would pay to rent those things, even if they weren't impaired!

Tony Oday
10-04-2008, 12:30 PM
Sorry I meant a blind man...was a wee bit tired last night.

So a deaf guy could have brought a tv that has CC ont it.

ThunderDan
10-08-2008, 03:41 PM
You damn right I am heartless. This is activist judging at its best. Should we make it so that there is not alcohol offered in sections with alcoholics? Should we make it that fat people shouldn't have fatty foods in their section?

If they can get into the stadium and can get to the seat they know what the hell they are getting. I dont go into a bar in Wisconsin and expect people to stop smoking. I don't go into a football bar and ask them to turn on Sex in the City.

I know these are absurd comparisons however this is what will happen if people do not take a stand.

Actually Tony I now go out to bars in Madison exclusively because there is a smoking ban. I don't like having to wake up smelling like a cigarette.

Why is this activist judging at its best?

President Bush just signed a bill two weeks ago that increases the scope of the ADA. Seems like that is activist lawmaking by the congress signed by the President.

Tony Oday
10-08-2008, 03:43 PM

Actually Tony I now go out to bars in Madison exclusively because there is a smoking ban. I don't like having to wake up smelling like a cigarette.

Why is this activist judging at its best?

President Bush just signed a bill two weeks ago that increases the scope of the ADA. Seems like that is activist lawmaking by the congress signed by the President.

What I mean on the smoking thing is that there are certain bars in the northland that you wouldn't expect them NOT to have smoke in them. I dont like smelling like an ash tray in the morning either however if I do not want to smell like smoke I dont go to the bar.

Noodle
10-09-2008, 01:22 AM
This is one of those deals that gets everyone hacked off, but can usually be addressed pretty easily and in a way that able-bodied people will dig, like cut-out curbs at intersections.

A little cc on a crawler could be kind of cool and would provide more info for everyone than the Jumbotron basics.

I'm also guessing the judge didn't just make this shite up but was just applying the law as written by Congress and signed by the President. The Skins are sacred in DC, and no one would want to mess with them unless they felt they didn't have an option.

ThunderDan
10-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Sorry I meant a blind man...was a wee bit tired last night.

So a deaf guy could have brought a tv that has CC ont it.

Where is he going to plug it in? How is he going to get past security? Hw big is the screen? How heavy is the TV? What if its an ESPN game and he has to hook up to cable?

Just like on the local news community businesses sponsor the CC on the air so the stations don't have to pay anything. I'm sure some local business would like to become "The Offical CC Provider of The Green Bay Packers."

ThunderDan
10-09-2008, 12:35 PM

I'm sure putting CC on the Jumbotron wouldn't break the Redskins bank.Of course not.

Why bother all the other people? Or are you just that special that you can be inconsiderate to everyone else?

Personally, I just wait till the movie comes out on DVD and then watch it in the comfort of our own home. My blind friend wouldn't have it any other way. She is an amazing gal, if you meet her at her house, you probably wouldn't even know she was blind. It is difficult to even call it a handicap.

Gee, let's lock all handicap people up and only let them out when its convinient for you and me or when we aren't around at all. :oops: :oops:

Tony Oday
10-09-2008, 01:14 PM

Gee, let's lock all handicap people up and only let them out when its convinient for you and me or when we aren't around at all. :oops: :oops:

Dan I get what you are saying and I would have no problem nor should anyone with CC on the jumbo screen I do get that but the tone of the ruling seems to be they would have to do more. Its not like I am against wheel chair access or anything like that I just do not see why a whole organization has to change because of a small percentage of the population. I may come of like an ass and I am not trying to if it is a low cost alternative then its shouldnt be a problem, what I dont get however is why not just deal with the organization instead of suing them? Don't you think the skins would have done CC if that was all that was asked for instead of going to court over it?

cheesner
10-09-2008, 02:29 PM

Gee, let's lock all handicap people up and only let them out when its convinient for you and me or when we aren't around at all. :oops: :oops:Gee, lets make everything accessible to everybody because everybody deserves everything.:whist:

I have a friend who is clausterphobic. Won't go to games because there are too many people around. So, NFL teams should have several sections where there is only one seat. How about invalids who need to constantly be on dialysis machines? Lets have entire sections set up for people confined to their beds. And how about people who don't speak english, should they have 120 different announcers in case a Upik Eskimo shows up and doesn't understand English? Wait 5 minutes between each play so that each announcer has time to translate.

Where does it end?

I never said lock handicapped people up - they understand there are things they just can't do. It is not our responsibility to make things easy for everyone. If that sounds harsh, it is, but that is reality. I am all for helping the handicap, don't get me wrong. But the people who demand it are out of line. There is simply no way to accommodate everyone for everything. If that is a problem for you, just consider if you are the one who needs to draw the line. Who gets accommodated for the game? Blind? Deaf? Invalids? Where?

Pacopete4
10-09-2008, 02:33 PM
maybe the jumbotrons should have a sign language lady on it so the deaf people know whats going on