PDA

View Full Version : SLOPPY PLAY = Penalties

Fosco33
10-03-2008, 01:01 PM
I hate penalties.

Penalties are indicative of a young, inexperienced, undisciplined team... OR refs 'picking' on aggressive teams (offense/defensive/punt or kick return holding).

GENERALLY, undisciplined (and penalized) teams have more undisciplined players. Undisciplined players also miss assignments and cost yards/points/games/seasons...

I also hate penalties because you lose/change momentum, kill drives or extend the opponents drives/chances. They also make the game slow down.

SO, I looked at the stats. It felt like the Packers were sloppy -- the numbers below show just how much.

(Info based on per game and per play averages)

Packers Offense:
1. Averages 8.75 penalties/game (30th)
2. Averages 80 yards/game (32nd)
3. Almost 15% of offensive plays led to a penalty (30th)

Packers Defense:
1. Averages 7.3 penalties/game (26th)
2. Averages 51.5 yards/game (22nd)
3. Almost 11% of defensive plays led to a penalty (20th)

Combined:
1. 16 penalties/game for 132 yards!!!
2. Average penalty is 8.3 yards (26th)

:shock:

Tarlam!
10-03-2008, 02:21 PM
When I read the thread title, I felt certain this was in the wrong forum room. :oops:

K-town
10-03-2008, 02:24 PM
Ugh.
Those numbers are "Raideresque."
I know that's not a real word. It should be.

Scott Campbell
10-03-2008, 02:49 PM
These stats seem contrary to McCarthy and his level of discipline.

Fosco33
10-09-2008, 01:19 PM
At least vs. ATL, Pack had ONLY 9 penalties for 97 yards...

Sad when that is improvement...

(Atlanta had 2 for 15 yards, btw).

Pacopete4
10-09-2008, 02:19 PM

hmm... weird, I stated that in my "were we fooled" post and that didn't go over too well.. proof is out on the field each week... our top two men have not done their job which has led to the players on the field not doing their job.. its rather simple

Gunakor
10-09-2008, 02:50 PM

hmm... weird, I stated that in my "were we fooled" post and that didn't go over too well.. proof is out on the field each week... our top two men have not done their job which has led to the players on the field not doing their job.. its rather simple

If the team isn't being prepared for games well, that's on McCarthy. All TT does is put together a roster. He's not a coach. Hence why McCarthy was named in SC's post and not TT. One of our top 2 men have not done thier jobs as well as I'd have hoped, I'd agree with you there. The other has no control or influence over preparation or conditioning or gameplanning or game time adjustments... I am still trying to figure out specifically why he is recieving blame for screwups committed by the players and coaches that aren't typical of said players and coaches.

Pacopete4
10-09-2008, 02:53 PM

If the team isn't being prepared for games well, that's on McCarthy. All TT does is put together a roster. He's not a coach. Hence why McCarthy was named in SC's post and not TT. One of our top 2 men have not done thier jobs as well as I'd have hoped, I'd agree with you there. The other has no control or influence over preparation or conditioning or gameplanning or game time adjustments... I am still trying to figure out specifically why he is recieving blame for screwups committed by the players and coaches that aren't typical of said players and coaches.

I just think we differ on the fact that I dont think TT put together a very strong roster, mainly on both sides of the line... even our starters are not that good IMO. Thats why I think TT has failed, it has nothing to do with my #4 hate on him, totally separate issues... I'm just very displeased with him and his ways of getting lineman in here.. cuz obviously its not working..

Gunakor
10-09-2008, 03:18 PM

I just think we differ on the fact that I dont think TT put together a very strong roster, mainly on both sides of the line... even our starters are not that good IMO. Thats why I think TT has failed, it has nothing to do with my #4 hate on him, totally separate issues... I'm just very displeased with him and his ways of getting lineman in here.. cuz obviously its not working..

Typically it takes several years for offensive linemen to blossom into starter material in the NFL. The fact that Colledge and Spitz have improved over last year, and they were better last year than the year before, supports that theory. Right now, the biggest problems on the line have been the tackles, not the guards. Surely you can't blame TT for that. These are/were elite tackles that were expected to play at an elite level, not just by TT but by most of us as well. It didn't turn out that way, but that's not TT's fault.

On the defensive line, we are deeper than you give us credit for. Injuries have forced us to go a bit deeper into the depth chart than we'd like to. We started the season with our second best DT on PUP. Say what you will about Harrell, but with extremely limited opportunity in his rookie season he showed flashes of first round talent. Granted they were merely flashes, but it's not out of the question that those mere flashes turn into consistency. We just need to get him out onto the field consistently, and from the recent reports I've read it seems Justin has been doing everything he has to do from a conditioning standpoint to get that done.

We can't call him a bust just yet because it's only his second season and we still have not seen what he can do. I remember people calling A-Rod a bust after his rookie season and now looking back that statement could not be farther from the truth. In all honesty, TT's very first draft pick as our GM just may prove to be his very best draft pick as our GM. Which is really saying alot, because Greg Jennings has perrenial pro bowler written all over him.

I think you might just be expecting too much out of rookies and second year players. These are not savvy veterans. TT could have signed more veterans to fill in the backup roles, but it would hinder the development of younger players expected to fill those roles in the future. Besides, TT has had better luck aquiring talent through the draft than he has in veterans. It's raw talent, but talent nonetheless. That talent won't be raw forever. In a win now league maybe this isn't the best strategy, but I disagree that this is a win now league. I believe this is a win consistently league. And IMO TT has this team set up for consistent success, even if it hasn't reached it's peak performance this season.

SnakeLH2006
10-10-2008, 02:59 AM
I hate penalties.

Penalties are indicative of a young, inexperienced, undisciplined team... OR refs 'picking' on aggressive teams (offense/defensive/punt or kick return holding).

GENERALLY, undisciplined (and penalized) teams have more undisciplined players. Undisciplined players also miss assignments and cost yards/points/games/seasons...

I also hate penalties because you lose/change momentum, kill drives or extend the opponents drives/chances. They also make the game slow down.

SO, I looked at the stats. It felt like the Packers were sloppy -- the numbers below show just how much.

(Info based on per game and per play averages)

Packers Offense:
1. Averages 8.75 penalties/game (30th)
2. Averages 80 yards/game (32nd)
3. Almost 15% of offensive plays led to a penalty (30th)

Packers Defense:
1. Averages 7.3 penalties/game (26th)
2. Averages 51.5 yards/game (22nd)
3. Almost 11% of defensive plays led to a penalty (20th)

Combined:
1. 16 penalties/game for 132 yards!!!
2. Average penalty is 8.3 yards (26th)

:shock:

Well str8 up....we are the youngest team in the NFL again 3 years running except we don't have 17 year vet QB telling young dudes what's gonna happen. I like Arod but Brett did more than you see in stats helping out on blitzes/protection schemes/etc. cuz he's seen it all. Now we are truly young and dumb. Duh...