PDA

View Full Version : Rodgers "game-time decision"

digitaldean
10-03-2008, 01:41 PM
http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/10/03/mccarthy-on-rodgers-a-game-time-decision.aspx

Coach Mike McCarthy said today that quarterback Aaron Rodgers, after throwing lightly today, will be given the full 48 hours to get ready for Sunday's game against the Atlanta and will be a game-time decision.

BF4MVP
10-03-2008, 01:53 PM
He'll play.

Fosco33
10-03-2008, 02:06 PM
http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?p=233783&highlight=arod+favre#233783

I like Rodgers. He's performed above my operational expectations in a few games this year. Durability was always my concern - still is...

In Jan (above post) I didn't think he'd make it through a month of hits - and it appears he won't. If I'm M3, I let him get healthy (and know that he'll probably get another injury or two this year). So Flynn/Brohm need this practice/experience.

It's not pessimism.
It's not 'hating' on ARod.
It's not being a Favre apologist.

It's history repeating itself and nearly a reality....

I hope he gets better - quickly. I hope he starts and plays great on Sunday. I hope his rehab doesn't cost him time/games later this year or future seasons. I hope he doesn't start just to prove guys like me 'wrong'. He gives the Pack the best chance of winning until either Flynn/Brohm stepup or another QB is picked up....

Tony Oday
10-03-2008, 02:15 PM
I did the same thing that Rodgers did in softball sliding into home...trust me an akward jump/slide/dive. I sprained my shoulder and didnt have strength in it for almost a month. So AR my guess would take about a week to rehab...Maybe he will be ready but if he isnt Flynn should get the nod and we should shove the ball down the crapy Hotlanta defense.

PackerTimer
10-03-2008, 02:16 PM
I don't see Rodgers as injury prone any more than other players. Guys get hurt all the time. Favre has been hurt often during his career, in fact he had a fairly significant ankle injury last week, he probably is still suffering through it. What made Favre different was his ability to play through those injuries and be effective. This is really the first time Rodgers might be able to prove that, his last injuries he didn't have to play through. If he can get out there and be effective without serious risk of re-injury, he has to play. That is what made Favre special. It wasn't like he was immune to be injured, he was just one tough SOB.

bobblehead
10-03-2008, 02:33 PM
vicodin is good mmmkkayyy

Scott Campbell
10-03-2008, 02:44 PM
I don't see Rodgers as injury prone any more than other players.

I'm not sure that this is that much different than Favre's ankle from last week. But Favre has the iron man reputation, and Aaron has the glass man reputation.

If he plays, and I'm guessing he will, all the hand-wringing this week was for nothing.

MadtownPacker
10-03-2008, 03:08 PM
If he plays, and I'm guessing he will, all the hand-wringing this week was for nothing.Slow your roll. He has to play and play well enough to win or it will all be for nada.

DonHutson
10-03-2008, 04:28 PM
My guess is they already know one way or another. They're dragging it out to make the Falcons waste some time watching film on both QB's (what little there is) and prepare for both.

LL2
10-03-2008, 04:42 PM
My guess is they already know one way or another. They're dragging it out to make the Falcons waste some time watching film on both QB's (what little there is) and prepare for both.

Yup, it's the Belichek approach. He makes every player a game time decision.

KYPack
10-03-2008, 05:25 PM
That's what I was thinking, LL.

MM & TT are getting Belichekian

Partial
10-03-2008, 05:29 PM
I don't see Rodgers as injury prone any more than other players.

I'm not sure that this is that much different than Favre's ankle from last week. But Favre has the iron man reputation, and Aaron has the glass man reputation.

If he plays, and I'm guessing he will, all the hand-wringing this week was for nothing.

It's probably not. But, Favre will play. Iron man reputation is earned. Favre has earned it.

Scott Campbell
10-03-2008, 05:57 PM
It's probably not. But, Favre will play. Iron man reputation is earned. Favre has earned it.

P, you're not old enough to know what time does to the human body. 39 year old Brett is not going to be as durable as the 29 year old version of Brett.

Believe it or not, from purely a durability standpoint, I'd take Rodgers over Favre right now. I'm probably all by myself in that opinion.

texaspackerbacker
10-03-2008, 06:27 PM
There's two dangers here:

Worsening the injury or delaying the complete healing;

Being able to play but with less strength or accuracy than normal.

Both of those are less likely to be a problem with an ankle than a throwing shoulder.

I think they play him if he doesn't have any setbacks, but have a similar game plan as they would have with Flynn--Running/Short Safe Passing--kinda like the overly cautious offense they played the first week or two.

I've got Rodgers on a lot of fantasy teams, and I'm playing him.

Rastak
10-03-2008, 06:40 PM

Both of those are less likely to be a problem with an ankle than a throwing shoulder.

I think they play him if he doesn't have any setbacks, but have a similar game plan as they would have with Flynn--Running/Short Safe Passing--kinda like the overly cautious offense they played the first week or two.

whoa, I agree with Tex!

I'm pretty sure he'll play unless the team was lying about the severity of it. Ben Rothlesb(howeveryouspellit) for the Steelers dislocated his throwing shoulder and has played all year with it.

Kyle.McCarroll
10-03-2008, 06:48 PM
MM isn't going to want to take chances with his franchise QB. They just don't want to tip their hand.

Aaron is probably going to have to beg MM to let him play Sunday.

Rastak
10-03-2008, 07:10 PM
MM isn't going to want to take chances with his franchise QB. They just don't want to tip their hand.

We'll see what happens but I am expecting to see him sunday.

Scott Campbell
10-03-2008, 07:18 PM

Me too!

The Gunshooter
10-03-2008, 07:31 PM

The back-ups suck so bad there is no need to prepare for them.

mraynrand
10-03-2008, 07:43 PM
I'm certain he'll play well - just so long as they use a tennis ball instead of a football.

BallHawk
10-03-2008, 07:57 PM
There is a concern for injury but if we're talking playing ability.....Aaron's 50% is better than Flynn's 100%.

Rastak
10-03-2008, 08:00 PM

Me too!

Man you turned into an ugly fuck scott...... :wink:

Scott Campbell
10-03-2008, 08:17 PM
Man you turned into an ugly fuck scott...... :wink:

Pot meet kettle. :lol:

Partial
10-03-2008, 08:40 PM

P, you're not old enough to know what time does to the human body. 39 year old Brett is not going to be as durable as the 29 year old version of Brett.

No doubt about it. I don't expect it to. I was merely saying it is what it is until Rodgers proves otherwise. Favre doesn't have anything to prove about his durability. That's always what he'll be best known for.

Even now I'd take Favre over Rodgers from a pure, durability standpoint. If he didn't get hurt at 36, 37, 38 or ever, why would he suddenly start at 39. I'm sure he'll be fine.

PackerTimer
10-03-2008, 11:23 PM

No doubt about it. I don't expect it to. I was merely saying it is what it is until Rodgers proves otherwise. Favre doesn't have anything to prove about his durability. That's always what he'll be best known for.

Even now I'd take Favre over Rodgers from a pure, durability standpoint. If he didn't get hurt at 36, 37, 38 or ever, why would he suddenly start at 39. I'm sure he'll be fine.

I totally agree with you. Yes, Rodgers has been hurt. I've heard that he would have played through the injury last year had they needed him. So while he was hurt, is that really a big deal? Guys get hurt. The most durable player in NFL history, Brett Favre, has been hurt in his career but he is a tough SOB and he's played through it. If Rodgers can do that, he'll earn a lot of respect. I don't expect Rodgers to not get hurt but if it's something he can play with he's gotta play. That's what a leader does.

Zool
10-04-2008, 03:13 AM
I totally agree with you. Yes, Rodgers has been hurt. I've heard that he would have played through the injury last year had they needed him. So while he was hurt, is that really a big deal? Guys get hurt. The most durable player in NFL history, Brett Favre, has been hurt in his career but he is a tough SOB and he's played through it. If Rodgers can do that, he'll earn a lot of respect. I don't expect Rodgers to not get hurt but if it's something he can play with he's gotta play. That's what a leader does.

QFT. Every QB not named Favre gets hurt. The guy is supernatural in his abililty to escape major injury and play through pain. Comparing Rodgers to him is about as fair as expecting Rodgers to put up 400+ TD's in his career.

Fritz
10-04-2008, 09:20 AM
Back when I was a kid a quarterback played even if his throwing arm had been amputated and his left femur was shattered.

Get in there, Rodgers. Quit acting like a baby.

retailguy
10-04-2008, 11:18 AM
Back when I was a kid a quarterback played even if his throwing arm had been amputated and his left femur was shattered.

Brett?...... Is that you?..... :P :oops: :wink:

retailguy
10-04-2008, 11:19 AM

QFT. Every QB not named Favre gets hurt. The guy is supernatural in his abililty to escape major injury and play through pain. Comparing Rodgers to him is about as fair as expecting Rodgers to put up 400+ TD's in his career.

I expect 450 td's in half the time it took Favre. :twisted:

retailguy
10-04-2008, 11:20 AM
I think he'll play. Just a gut feeling, but I think he plays, and if the game gets out of hand either way, he'll come out.

Packers4Ever
10-04-2008, 08:15 PM

The back-ups suck so bad there is no need to prepare for them.

What were you expecting to see, HOF - bound QB's ?

Let them play if necessary so they can have their day too.

SnakeLH2006
10-04-2008, 11:34 PM
Well....the DVD came out this week so Iron Man Aaron will really disappoint if he does not play.

I suspect he will and gets kudos from me if he does. A leader needs to step up as our season in naught if anyone named Matt or Brian has to throw the ball much at all.

The last thing we need is 3 straight losses and a loss to the Falcons at Lambeau. I have a FEDEX overnight shipment of Vicodin's to Packer HQ as we speak. Go Arod.

LL2
10-05-2008, 08:55 AM
So what's the decision M3?

Kiwon
10-05-2008, 10:00 AM
Waiting....

CaliforniaCheez
10-05-2008, 10:15 AM
The decision appears to be made.

Rodgers isn't throwing or warming up.

Hail Matt Flynn!!

packerbacker1234
10-05-2008, 10:22 AM
There is a concern for injury but if we're talking playing ability.....Aaron's 50% is better than Flynn's 100%.

prove it. Go ahead, right now, and prove it.

There are many talks out there that even if Rodgers could play today, if he isn't 100% that Flynn may be the best option to win this week. In that he had a really great week of practice, been taking most of the snaps all week, and is best prepared to get the job done.

Flynn has a national title under his belt, and apparently in highschool he broke his foot in the playoffs and went on to start every single game the rest of the way. Flynn has a very long history of success. Everyone has been wanting to credit everyone around him, but good things have always happened with Flynn has been on the field for a majority of his career.

Last game... I expect nothing less. Nerves. Not prepared really to see the field. No practice with the ones. I mean, come on, even Favre in his first time every being on the field in atlanta during the season looked pretty nervous.

Anyways, I digress. AR at 100% the last two weeks couldn't really do anyworse then Flynn at 100% the last two weeks could he? I am not hating on AR, I am just saying that what you claim in unfounded. AR does not have enough of a track record to say something like that. 4 games in the NFL. That is it. 2 good, 2 bad.

Flynn I believe has one the pinacle of his sport everywhere he has gone. He wont the State championship in highschool, and the BCS Championship at LSU. Will he win a super bowl one day? I don't know.

What I know is, Flynn is more prepared to play in today's game then Rodgers. If AR does play, he HAS to have a really good game (like favre seems to do EVERY TIME he gets hurt and palys the next week) or it will be a waste. If he plays poorly, we'll never know if Flynn would of really been the better option.

Besides - I want AR to be healthy when on the field. I don't expect him ot be favre. There is only one. Let the guy come back when there is very little pain. It just takes one hard throw, liket he one he did to jennings for a TD, for that arm to become dead again.

BallHawk
10-05-2008, 10:27 AM
You're saying that the guy who's been in the NFL for 4 games is better than the guy that's been in the NFL for 3 years?

You saw what happened when Flynn came in with about 8 minutes left against Tampa, the offense had its hands tied.

I'll stand by my statement. I'd rather have a 50% Aaron than a 100% Flynn. Aaron's shoulder may be hurting but his brain and his game-managing skills aren't.

BallHawk
10-05-2008, 10:32 AM
RODGERS IS STARTING.

packerbacker1234
10-05-2008, 10:33 AM
You're saying that the guy who's been in the NFL for 4 games is better than the guy that's been in the NFL for 3 years?

You saw what happened when Flynn came in with about 8 minutes left against Tampa, the offense had its hands tied.

I'll stand by my statement. I'd rather have a 50% Aaron than a 100% Flynn. Aaron's shoulder may be hurting but his brain and his game-managing skills aren't.

here we go, the 3 year argument.

If thats the case, I would rather bring Doug Peterson back. He's been in the league a lot longer, and been behind great QB's a lot longer. Thus, he is the best option as our starting QB!

It matters little how long you were in the league - it matters what you do on the field. Favre in year one with Atlanta, in his only limited action, looked horrid in one series, and never saw the field again until a injury put him in the game with GB. You need to see extended playing time, not just one series, to see if a guy can play football.

I am not trying to dis AR, I just don't think he has done anything but be "drafted" to earn his roster spot. If Flynn has a pretty good game, it could get interesting. I don't care how long a guy has been in the league, unless he has the track record (like a favre, Manning, Brady, etc) his job is not secure, especially with only 4 starts ever in the NFL. If Flynn plays well, it may be hard to not open up a competition. That starting role has to be earned.

Your not just handed the reigns just because you were in the NFL longer. Anyone who looks at stuff like that is silly. If that is the case, why the hell was favre handed the reigns in 1992? Because he performed better then the guy who was the starter. It could happen all over agian.

I agree, AR is most likely our best chance of winning, but I am not about to throw flynn under the bus when he hasn't palyed meaningful time yet.

VegasPackFan
10-05-2008, 10:34 AM
RODGERS STARTING!!!

BallHawk
10-05-2008, 10:34 AM
It matters little how long you were in the league - it matters what you do on the field.

Tell that to David Carr and Joey Harrington.

sheepshead
10-05-2008, 10:37 AM
Mortenson says Arod will start

packerbacker1234
10-05-2008, 10:39 AM
RODGERS STARTING!!!

We heard. I just hope he actually is ok. Because... I don't want to seem him fire one hard and have his arm go dead again like last week.

packerbacker1234
10-05-2008, 10:40 AM
It matters little how long you were in the league - it matters what you do on the field.

Tell that to David Carr and Joey Harrington.

They too never earned there spots on the team. They were handed the jobs, and it didn't work. Your point?

Merlin
10-05-2008, 10:43 AM

I am kind of split with whether or not he should play. I am willing to tank another game so he can get healthy. If they are "thinking" he may be ready to play this week, then let him heal until next week. His arm strength didn't look bad on the one pass he threw after the injury but is accuracy has been horrible since the second half of the Lions game, before the injury. I can see where he wants to start because of the high expectations that he thinks he needs to fill because we had Favre, but he isn't Favre and I for one don't expect him to be. If Flynn comes in and plays lights out, there is still no QB controversy, Rodgers is the starter no matter what. Have we learned nothing since he was drafted? I also don't think it will matter if Rodgers or Flynn starts. I think Rodgers' injury balances that equation out and if Rodgers is the guy, this game isn't that meaningful as far as winning the NFC North.

Packers4Ever
10-05-2008, 04:56 PM

Get in there, Rodgers. Quit acting like a baby.

I'm not so sure it was just Rodgers being a baby, Fritz, I think the coaches, etc...have to keep an eye on a player's injury for fear it will worsen if he plays and then have a real problem on their hands medically speaking.

I love Brett Favre and always will, but I was really proud of Aaron this afternoon not just in terms of QB play, but in being a real leader doing the best he could to keep the team moving, the crowd yelling, I think we have a real player here and hope we can keep him for a long time. It was neat to see a few almost "unknowns" make key plays, too.

On to Seattle and our old friend, Mike !! :wink:

Iron Mike
10-05-2008, 05:02 PM

You don't need to go to Seattle to hook up with me, baby. :wink: :wink:

Packers4Ever
10-05-2008, 07:47 PM

You don't need to go to Seattle to hook up with me, baby. :wink: :wink:

OK Iron Mike, I'll try to remember that !
:P