PDA

View Full Version : TT is all ego?

Pugger
10-04-2008, 08:03 AM
I get bemused when I see this sentiment on various Packer boards here online. I don't think TT is arrogant. He makes mistakes like any other GM does but I don't see how he comes off as arrogant. To me he is shy and not very polished when it comes to public speaking. Enlighten me.

SkinBasket
10-04-2008, 08:09 AM
Enlighten me.

Or, for god's sake, don't. Pugger, if you're interested in this "viewpoint" I would suggest using the search feature. It's been discussed in great, great detail.

pbmax
10-04-2008, 08:33 AM
I am more interested in Ted's superego. I want to know what moral structure it subscribes to that limits the pass rush abilities of the players it allows Ted to acquire.

Fritz
10-04-2008, 09:17 AM
What about Ted's id? That part of him crying out to sign every big-name free agent in the offseason, regardless of age or price, to trade his entire draft so he can select #3 overall, to trade away his 2010 first and second round picks for Tony Gonzalez?

That's what I'd like to know about.

packrat
10-04-2008, 10:10 AM
The ego comes from all the amateur "experts" who think they are smarter than Ted when it comes to drafting, trading, etc. If they had their way we'd still have Farve at quarterback! Now that should be red meat for the frothing masses.

texaspackerbacker
10-04-2008, 11:46 AM
It ain't braggin'/ego if you're really that good.

Thompson's record putting this team together is that good--to where his ego should be kinda inflated ........ or did some of you expect better than 13-3/14-4 last season with the youngest team in the league?

gex
10-04-2008, 01:04 PM
I betcha tt supporters sound just like the Millen supporters in Detroit (he knows what he's doing, thats why he's paid to do it and your not, etc......)last year may prove to be because of Favre's will to take this team of young-uns and make them overachieve. 8-)

Any negative response to this post is prolly just what a Matt Millen supporter would have to say!(your in good company there) :lol:

Fred's Slacks
10-04-2008, 01:15 PM
I betcha tt supporters sound just like the Millen supporters in Detroit (he knows what he's doing, thats why he's paid to do it and your not, etc......)last year may prove to be because of Favre's will to take this team of young-uns and make them overachieve. 8-)

Any negative response to this post is prolly just what a Matt Millen supporter would have to say!(your in good company there) :lol:

:lol:

Matt Millen never put together a 13-3 team. Nice try though.

bobblehead
10-04-2008, 01:31 PM

:lol:

Matt Millen never put together a 13-3 team. Nice try though.

Stop with unfair arguements like actual accomplishment....I bet you're a conservative.

texaspackerbacker
10-04-2008, 02:00 PM

Uh, what was Detroit's record with Millen as GM again?

TheCheese
10-04-2008, 02:23 PM

Haha this shit is such a joke. Dude do you really read your posts before you post them? You gotta be fucking kidding me.

Pugger
10-04-2008, 03:00 PM
The reason why I started this thread was because I wanted folks to tell me why they hate him so, besides the BF deal. Was there this sentiment before the Favre fiasco? I think TT was a fool to not have a vet back-up QB but the venom I see from people on this and other forums is unbelievable, really. :shock: I don't think TT's ego can be the main reason for all of this derision, that's all.

Scott Campbell
10-04-2008, 03:09 PM

Just like Millen? Did Thompson get fired?

th87
10-04-2008, 03:45 PM
He drafts players we've never heard of, and doesn't explain the choices. That's why the couch-GMs get upset.

If he did have an ego, I'd suspect he'd be in front of the cameras all the time, taking credit for his hits and rationalizing his misses.

pbmax
10-04-2008, 04:36 PM

Except as a Packer fan, you can make the case that we could run the single wing and have the halfback throw all the passes, and still beat the Lions twice a year.

If its all Brett's Will Be Done, they why were we 4-12 and 8-8? Was He busy with Iraq? :D

gex
10-04-2008, 07:29 PM
LOL, Simma down naw,

I said it may prove that it was Favre's leadership that lead us to 12-4 , we'll know more about tt's greatness at the end of this season(how much quality depth his 10+ picks every year pans out)

I just pointed out that sometimes people(prolly with lesser IQ's) support bad GM's without even knowing they are. :lol:

BTW, I think ego in its most basic form is about "being in the spotlight/cameras". You can have a pretty big ego and not want any publicity, just to know in your own head that your better/smarter than everybody else(bubblehead comes across that way) :o

Scott Campbell
10-04-2008, 08:15 PM
I just pointed out that sometimes people(prolly with lesser IQ's)

Have you ever met someone with a lesser IQ? Ever?

Fred's Slacks
10-04-2008, 08:42 PM
I think its funny when people challenge other's IQ on a football forum.

You make it sound like the only reason people support him is because we went 13-3 or because we are blind morons. There were actually people who liked what he was doing before we we're 13-3. Some people actually think that in the salary cap era, the draft is the best place to build a team. Some may also agree that you should use caution in free agency and try to find good value for select quality players. Some also just might believe that instead of overpaying for players whose former team didn't think of highly enough to give the same contract, you should identify your core players, keep them happy and try to fill the rest in with young talent or high character, affordable veterans. I for one agree with all of that. TT follows that plan almost to a fault. I think its smart. Does it mean he can lead us to a Super Bowl? Unfortunately not. He still has to pick the right players and coaches. And with any Super Bowl run you need a little bit of luck staying healthy. Regardless of whether we actually win a Super Bowl or not, I think TT's strategy gives us our best chance of consistent success.

But maybe I just agree with that because my IQ isn't as high as yours. :lol:

Please educate me on how it should be done.

SnakeLH2006
10-04-2008, 11:22 PM
Funny topic and posts. But seriously, I like TT as a GM overall, but my only beef is a big one...running Brett out of GB before it was time.

I like Rodgers alot, but Iron Man Aaron may break his 4 game starting streak tommorow while that old man in Jersey comes off 6 TD's with a bum ankle for what his 270+ straight start? A betting man takes the odds esp. when you HAVE TO WIN EVERY YEAR or BUST. I don't see it as "morgatging the future when we don't know if Iron Man Aaron can stay healthy for a few games at at time. My problem isn't with Aaron, but that fact TT refused to get a vet. Does anyone feel Flynn or Brohm after the preseason and as rooks can beat any team with our shitty O-Line and Grant looking poor thus far? Didn't think so.

That's my only beef with TT, but hey why did we not get a vet backup (I'd have taken Leftwich or even goddamn Culpepper, but the hell if we are gonna cut a draft pick QB in the event our starter goes down after 4 games). End Post. :roll:

wist43
10-05-2008, 07:14 AM
I like TT's general philosphy of building thru the draft... BUT

He is far to rigid. If all it took to win 5 championships in a row was to trade an entire draft to draft "the" guy to put them over the top - he would never do it b/c it goes fundamentally against his nature.

He stays the course, even if the course will never win the team a championship.

They can not - I repeat - they can not win a championship with the way the team is currently constructed - UNLESS - they have a Brett Favre/HOF/All-Pro calibur QB.

Will TT acknowledge that??? Of course not. The offensive system they run is completely - COMPLETELY - QB dependent. That is to say, to win a championship, their QB has play lights out. How often do teams come across QB's like that???

The Packers have come across one in my lifetime... I don't want to wait another lifetime.

Power running, power defense... sans a HOF/All Pro QB, that is what wins championships. If you have a Joe Montana, or a Brett Favre, or a Steve Young... great, let's ride their coat tails to glory, but as I've pointed out, how often do those guys come along???

Doug Williams, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson (defense won that one), et al...

As long as the Packers continue to run an passive, effeminate offensive system based upon using midgets who are effective in space (sometimes, ;) ), and they have an Aaron Rodgers under center... they have no shot at a SB.

TT will never acknowledge that reality... so we will flounder around for years. Maybe we go 10-6, or 9-7 some years... but we will never be a realistic threat to win a SB.

KYPack
10-05-2008, 08:39 AM
Hang with 'em, Wist.

You are consistent, I say that much.

We may have to ressurect the "Optimistic Realists" again!

wist43
10-05-2008, 09:14 AM
Hang with 'em, Wist.

You are consistent, I say that much.

We may have to ressurect the "Optimistic Realists" again!

Always hang with em... i'm a survivor of the 70's 8-)

Iron Mike
10-05-2008, 10:05 AM
I just pointed out that sometimes people(prolly with lesser IQ's)

Have you ever met someone with a lesser IQ? Ever?

I may have a lesser IQ (133), but I know the difference between "your" and "you're" :roll:

sheepshead
10-05-2008, 10:30 AM
Or if you think 'prolly' is a word.

gex
10-05-2008, 11:28 AM
The spelling nazis are out on a witch hunt. Must be that October weather. :D
Thats your best responses(lesser IQ's at work there) :shock:

Packnut
10-05-2008, 12:43 PM
I like TT's general philosphy of building thru the draft... BUT

He is far to rigid. If all it took to win 5 championships in a row was to trade an entire draft to draft "the" guy to put them over the top - he would never do it b/c it goes fundamentally against his nature.

He stays the course, even if the course will never win the team a championship.

They can not - I repeat - they can not win a championship with the way the team is currently constructed - UNLESS - they have a Brett Favre/HOF/All-Pro calibur QB.

Will TT acknowledge that??? Of course not. The offensive system they run is completely - COMPLETELY - QB dependent. That is to say, to win a championship, their QB has play lights out. How often do teams come across QB's like that???

The Packers have come across one in my lifetime... I don't want to wait another lifetime.

Power running, power defense... sans a HOF/All Pro QB, that is what wins championships. If you have a Joe Montana, or a Brett Favre, or a Steve Young... great, let's ride their coat tails to glory, but as I've pointed out, how often do those guys come along???

Doug Williams, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson (defense won that one), et al...

As long as the Packers continue to run an passive, effeminate offensive system based upon using midgets who are effective in space (sometimes, ;) ), and they have an Aaron Rodgers under center... they have no shot at a SB.

TT will never acknowledge that reality... so we will flounder around for years. Maybe we go 10-6, or 9-7 some years... but we will never be a realistic threat to win a SB.

It's all well and good to build through the draft, but in order for that to work, you need to be better at player evaluation. Go back to one of Teddy's comment 4 years ago, " guards are a dime a dozen". Well, I wish someone would give him .20, cause he ain't found a good one yet.

This is a totally different team without Favre. It's obvious to anyone with half a brain. The passion from the players is gone. Most of these guys would have walked to hell and back for Favre. Those of us who understand this game saw it coming. Those that did'nt still don't have a clue. The bad thing is though, we're all gonna suffer equally cause it ain't getting fixed anytime soon............

Scott Campbell
10-05-2008, 03:11 PM
Those of us who understand this game saw it coming.

:bs:

gex
10-05-2008, 10:24 PM

LOL, Simma down naw,

I said it may prove that it was Favre's leadership that lead us to 12-4 , we'll know more about tt's greatness at the end of this season(how much quality depth his 10+ picks every year pans out)

I just pointed out that sometimes people(prolly with lesser IQ's) support bad GM's without even knowing they are.

BTW, I think ego in its most basic form is about "being in the spotlight/cameras". You can have a pretty big ego and not want any publicity, just to know in your own head that your better/smarter than everybody else(bubblehead comes across that way)

8-)

pbmax
10-05-2008, 10:59 PM
Go back to one of Teddy's comment 4 years ago, " guards are a dime a dozen". Well, I wish someone would give him .20, cause he ain't found a good one yet.
Spitz is fine and I defy you to provide the quote from a reliable source. Wolf came to the closest to saying that, and even he didn't go that far.

bobblehead
10-06-2008, 12:41 AM
LOL, Simma down naw,

I just pointed out that sometimes people(prolly with lesser IQ's) support bad GM's without even knowing they are. :lol:

BTW, I think ego in its most basic form is about "being in the spotlight/cameras". You can have a pretty big ego and not want any publicity, just to know in your own head that your better/smarter than everybody else(bubblehead comes across that way) :o

I think I consistently mock those that are dumb enough to make statements about being smarter than everyone else. I only think I'm smarter than some individuals....hmmmm....who comes to mind at the moment?

bobblehead
10-06-2008, 12:52 AM
Go back to one of Teddy's comment 4 years ago, " guards are a dime a dozen". Well, I wish someone would give him .20, cause he ain't found a good one yet.
Spitz is fine and I defy you to provide the quote from a reliable source. Wolf came to the closest to saying that, and even he didn't go that far.

I agree, the problem has really been clifton who has been absolutely dreadful 3 weeks running now. LT is the second most important position on offense and ours is stinking up the joint...it makes everyone worse by association.