PDA

View Full Version : Brett Favre would've started; a little shoulder boo boo

CaliforniaCheez
10-05-2008, 10:09 AM
If Brett wasn't traded away he would have started.

Rodgers may be permitted to leave in free agency.

Flynn and Brohm will fight it out to be the successor.

Brett Favre always plays.

Rodgers can't even warm up. It looks like he is shut down for today.

CaliforniaCheez
10-05-2008, 10:17 AM
Flynn and Brohm are warming up.

Tarlam!
10-05-2008, 10:19 AM
I have a good feeling with Flynn.

Errol, his namesake, was tasmanian i understand.

packerbacker1234
10-05-2008, 10:27 AM
I have a good feeling with Flynn.

Errol, his namesake, was tasmanian i understand.

As do I. He's played very well in big games his entire career in football. It's like people said all preseason - good things just seem to happen when he is on the field. Now with a week of preperation (a good weeek at that, according to coachs and teammates) he very well could have a really good game today.

My question is this - If Flynn plays well today, as it appears he is starting, is there suddenly QB contreversy? I mean, it's not AR should be guarenteed to be the starter forever just because he was the backup for 3 seasons. I just don't know if Flynn plays really good today if you can sit there and tell him to go and be a backup again even though you performed better then AR has the last two games.

We'll see how it plays out. Either way, I just want to win today.

BallHawk
10-05-2008, 10:28 AM
Yes, if Flynn wins today against the Falcons then there's a legitimate controversy that he should start over the guy with a 91.4 passer rating. :roll:

sheepshead
10-05-2008, 10:28 AM

Tobin Rote always started too. Damn it!

BallHawk
10-05-2008, 10:31 AM
RODGERS IS STARTING.

arcilite
10-05-2008, 10:31 AM
last time favre had a little shoulder boo boo he couldnt even finish a damn game

PackerTimer
10-05-2008, 10:32 AM

Nice try chicken little.

packerbacker1234
10-05-2008, 10:42 AM
last time favre had a little shoulder boo boo he couldnt even finish a damn game

When was this? Last year, it was an elbos injury. So, please explain to me when a shoulder injury every kept him out.

Tony Oday
10-05-2008, 10:42 AM
And A Rodge starts...

packerbacker1234
10-05-2008, 10:44 AM
RODGERS IS STARTING.

Looks like he is going to go though with a siginificant support for his shoulder and arm.

Something tells me this doesn't bode well for AR. He has hardly thrown a ball all week because of the shoulder, and now we are putting on something that makes throwing the ball even MORE strenous (but necessary most likely given the injury) again with BARELY throwing the ball with that on, let alone off, this week, and expect good things?

I admire what he is trying to do here, but I forsee bad things happening.

Merlin
10-05-2008, 10:49 AM
I think this is a poor decision by the Packers. I think Rodgers injury is a little more substantial then they are letting on and this is one of those things that can linger for the rest of the season if they don't let it mend. The Packers must believe starting a guy with a bum throwing wing is better then their other two alternatives. I think Rodgers will play through the pain (thanks to modern medicine) but can he play through getting rocked on that shoulder after our awesome OL lets him get sacked (and they will)?

Tarlam!
10-05-2008, 10:50 AM
And A Rodge starts...

Just like that rodgers to screw an entire thread by doing this type of thing. Damnit! Favre would NEVER have started and screwed up Cheeze's thread.

Fuck TT is a moron.

Tony Oday
10-05-2008, 10:57 AM
Favre would never screw up a team or a thread by changing his....wait...

gex
10-05-2008, 11:23 AM
You know this is just an attempt to live up to the ironman status that Favre has.
I dont believe its a good idea at all. If that shoulder gets rocked(50-50) by a blindside sack or even a hard hit it could put the rest of our season in jeapordy. :cry:
I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Zool
10-05-2008, 11:25 AM
You know this is just an attempt to live up to the ironman status that Favre has.

So if the guy doesnt start, he's an injury prone pussy. If he does start, he's just trying to prove something. Why the fuck do you even bother watching the games?

gex
10-05-2008, 11:32 AM

So if the guy doesnt start, he's an injury prone pussy. If he does start, he's just trying to prove something. Why the fuck do you even bother watching the games?

Cause I'm a bigger Packer fan than you will ever hope to be .
BTW whats the deal with your non-football related avatars on a FOOTBALL board. What are you even doing here. :wink:

Besides,Zool, read the rest of the post and put it in the correct context. 8-)

Pacopete4
10-05-2008, 11:41 AM

When was this? Last year, it was an elbos injury. So, please explain to me when a shoulder injury every kept him out.

I think he's speaking of his separated shoulder due to Reggie White and Favre OVERCOMING the injuring, WINNING the game, and ENTICING Reggie White to come to the Packers and win a SUPER BOWL..... I'm sure thats its...

GO BRETT GO!

Pacopete4
10-05-2008, 11:42 AM

If he doesn't try to play... to me he is a pussy

If he does play Im backing him all the way... just like I did with Brett

the rules don't change, Rodgers just has to play by them

Tony Oday
10-05-2008, 11:44 AM
Ah it was God and Money that got the Minister here...NOT Favre. Revisionist history is not correct history.

esoxx
10-05-2008, 11:49 AM
If Rodgers is starting, which it appears he is, then he needs to be confident he can get through the game effectively. I don't want to see a few series or maybe a half and out.
Either you can play with the pain or you can't. If you can't, start Flynn so the team at least has some certainity.
Not good for the flow playing a spell and then out.
I think we'll learn some things about Rodgers today. Hopefully good things.

Scott Campbell
10-05-2008, 03:15 PM
It's a shame we didn't get the ball back at the end. I'd have loved to see what Aaron would have done with the game on the line in a 2 minute drill.

He's obviously tougher than a lot of people thought.

pbmax
10-05-2008, 03:38 PM
Funny how cheese hasn't come back to this thread. Perhaps he is having a tough time removing the size 12 from his mouth.

Harlan Huckleby
10-05-2008, 07:41 PM
I think this is a poor decision by the Packers. I think Rodgers injury is a little more substantial then they are letting on and this is one of those things that can linger for the rest of the season if they don't let it mend.

I agree.

Football are kinda stupid, no other way to put it. If a baseball pitcher were to get a partially dislocated shoulder, would the fans be crying, "Put him back in the rotation tonight, its just a boo-boo?" I don't think so.

So Aaron Rodgers is now a man for "playing through the pain." And perhaps he was somewhat more effective than Flynn would have been - maybe. But at what cost? It was obvious he was doing damage to his shoulder by making those hard throws, he was in sharp pain. So now his shoulder is probably where it was at a week ago, if not worse, and he will be in poor shape for the Bears game too.

Dumb. Or maybe it refects the lack of confidence in the backups. Dumb just the same.

cpk1994
10-05-2008, 08:23 PM
I think this is a poor decision by the Packers. I think Rodgers injury is a little more substantial then they are letting on and this is one of those things that can linger for the rest of the season if they don't let it mend.

I agree.

Football are kinda stupid, no other way to put it. If a baseball pitcher were to get a partially dislocated shoulder, would the fans be crying, "Put him back in the rotation tonight, its just a boo-boo?" I don't think so.

So Aaron Rodgers is now a man for "playing through the pain." And perhaps he was somewhat more effective than Flynn would have been - maybe. But at what cost? It was obvious he was doing damage to his shoulder by making those hard throws, he was in sharp pain. So now his shoulder is probably where it was at a week ago, if not worse, and he will be in poor shape for the Bears game too.

Dumb. Or maybe it refects the lack of confidence in the backups. Dumb just the same.But if he doesn't play, the Favre fans come out of the woodwork and claim that "ARod is an injury prone pussy", "TT never shouldn't have got rid of the Ironman" etc. Its a lose-lose propsition.

Pacopete4
10-05-2008, 08:24 PM

I agree.

Dumb. Or maybe it refects the lack of confidence in the backups. Dumb just the same.But if he doesn't play, the Favre fans come out of the woodwork and claim that "ARod is an injury prone pussy", "TT never shouldn't have got rid of the Ironman" etc. Its a lose-lose propsition.

No matter if people bitch about Favre or not, or if its another position... I want my players, no matter the sport to get their ass on the field if they can... obviously Rodgers could, so they let him.... case closed

Scott Campbell
10-05-2008, 08:34 PM
It was obvious he was doing damage to his shoulder by making those hard throws, he was in sharp pain.

We don't know that.

Harlan Huckleby
10-05-2008, 09:14 PM
It was obvious he was doing damage to his shoulder by making those hard throws, he was in sharp pain.

We don't know that.

then he deserves an oscar for his wincing and arm grabbing

Scott Campbell
10-05-2008, 09:16 PM

We don't know that.

then he deserves an oscar for his wincing and arm grabbing

It has nothing to do with faking it.

It could hurt without there being any additional damage to the shoulder by playing. You don't know he was doing damage.

cpk1994
10-05-2008, 09:16 PM

We don't know that.

then he deserves an oscar for his wincing and arm grabbingwincing and arm grabbing means pain, not neccesarliy increased arm damage. To say he was doing damage to his arm is purely speculative.

Harlan Huckleby
10-05-2008, 09:17 PM
It's hard to imagine that throwing hard with an inflamed shoulder isn't going to make it worse.

Scott Campbell
10-05-2008, 09:18 PM
It's hard to imagine that throwing hard with an inflamed shoulder isn't going to make it worse.

No harder to imagine that than the coaching staff subjecting him to further injury risk.

Pacopete4
10-05-2008, 09:19 PM

might make it worse for a couple of days, but it will do no more damage to the arm... might swell up, but as we all know, swelling does go down

Harlan Huckleby
10-05-2008, 09:20 PM
obviously the coaches subjected him to further injury risk.

Why do you suppose that pitchers only pitch every three days?

When a shoulder is stressed, it needs rest to recover. Rodger's is badly inflamed, judging by his sharp pain.

Harlan Huckleby
10-05-2008, 09:22 PM

might make it worse for a couple of days, but it will do no more damage to the arm... might swell up, but as we all know, swelling does go down

Good God.

yes, a sprain will get better with rest, that's a given. Rodgers isn't crippled for life.

"swelling" means more damage was done. Playing this week may have made his shoulder much worse.

Scott Campbell
10-05-2008, 09:23 PM
obviously the coaches subjected him to further injury risk.

Why do you suppose that pitchers only pitch every three days?

When a shoulder is stressed, it needs rest to recover. Rodger's is badly inflamed, judging by his sharp pain.

I doubt that the coaching staff would have subjected themselves to a high risk of losing Rodgers for the season given our backup situation. I'm not buying your story this time. But that's ok. Were still friends. :D

Harlan Huckleby
10-05-2008, 09:25 PM
I don't think the coaches risked losing Rodgers for the season.

But I think they risked Rodger's effectiveness for the near term, he may be hurt for the Chicago game, or worse.

Merlin
10-05-2008, 10:33 PM
Great, now we have a room full of arm chair Doctors.

Way back when I could play sports, I had at first a shoulder sprain and I played through it. Anyone who has ever had this type of injury knows it is not just using it that hurts, it hurts when you breath hard, it hurts when you run, and it sure as hell hurts when you are thrown to the ground. I never had the drugs put into me that I am sure Rodgers did to get through the pain but I did take pain killers to play. One of the stupidest mistakes I ever made. The pain was "subdued" but so were the signs of it getting worse. In the end, the whole shoulder needed to be reconstructed and was never the same again. Had I taken a few weeks to a month to let it heal, things could have been different. With medicine today, I am sure a few weeks and Rodgers would be fine. To sit there and say he wasn't doing further damage by using it is naive. I am not going to sit here and defend my position on this matter. From personal experience, this was a bad move by the Packers. Judging by the looks on Rodgers face, it is worse then I thought it was.

Pacopete4
10-05-2008, 10:36 PM

Way back when I could play sports, I had at first a shoulder sprain and I played through it. Anyone who has ever had this type of injury knows it is not just using it that hurts, it hurts when you breath hard, it hurts when you run, and it sure as hell hurts when you are thrown to the ground. I never had the drugs put into me that I am sure Rodgers did to get through the pain but I did take pain killers to play. One of the stupidest mistakes I ever made. The pain was "subdued" but so were the signs of it getting worse. In the end, the whole shoulder needed to be reconstructed and was never the same again. Had I taken a few weeks to a month to let it heal, things could have been different. With medicine today, I am sure a few weeks and Rodgers would be fine. To sit there and say he wasn't doing further damage by using it is naive. I am not going to sit here and defend my position on this matter. From personal experience, this was a bad move by the Packers. Judging by the looks on Rodgers face, it is worse then I thought it was.

you just stated u dont like armchair doctors and then go on and say that u know he was hurting it more? how do you know... u armchair doctor u! :roll:

gex
10-05-2008, 10:39 PM

I dont believe its a good idea at all. If that shoulder gets rocked(50-50) by a blindside sack or even a hard hit it could put the rest of our season in jeapordy.

CaliforniaCheez
10-05-2008, 10:40 PM
Funny how cheese hasn't come back to this thread. Perhaps he is having a tough time removing the size 12 from his mouth.

I obviously was parroting what the pregame show announcers were saying on the Packer Radio Network and thought it a good discussion topic.

Rodgers rather than warming up was getting treatment.

His performance and stats were impressive.

Brett Favre was as sure a bet as the sunrise and that reliability and deterimination is something to celebrate and cheer. Sprains, strains, and fractured bones did not keep Brett Favre from starting. A fractured thumb on his throwing hand was just a boo boo.

Merlin
10-05-2008, 10:50 PM

I dont believe its a good idea at all. If that shoulder gets rocked(50-50) by a blindside sack or even a hard hit it could put the rest of our season in jeapordy.

I can admire Rodgers for wanting to play but to try and walk in Favre's shoes is ridiculous. I certainly don't expect him to do that, I expect him to use some common sense. My gut is telling me that the Packers have zero confidence in our backups so they allowed Rodgers to play even hurt because it was better then the alternative. This also doesn't change my mind that Rodgers is injury prone either. All of his injuries were the result of himself, not from taking hits. That doesn't mean I want the guy gone, it means that they need to be a little more careful with these types of decisions. What if Rodgers took off and tripped and fell on his shoulder? I bet that would have done more damage than anyone sacking him.

pbmax
10-05-2008, 10:55 PM

I obviously was parroting what the pregame show announcers were saying on the Packer Radio Network and thought it a good discussion topic.

Rodgers rather than warming up was getting treatment.

His performance and stats were impressive.

Brett Favre was as sure a bet as the sunrise and that reliability and deterimination is something to celebrate and cheer. Sprains, strains, and fractured bones did not keep Brett Favre from starting. A fractured thumb on his throwing hand was just a boo boo.
I was not listening to the radio. You have my apologies for not following your intent.

MadtownPacker
10-05-2008, 11:01 PM
I went into this game kinda pissed at Rodgers for whatever reason but the kid sucked it up and left it all on the field. He was hurting and hurting bad but 300 yds and 3 tds dont lie an I give him props for trying to get his team out of the funk it is in. You got my respect ARod.

Harlan Huckleby
10-06-2008, 12:59 PM
I'll bet anybody a nickle that Rodgers doesn't throw in practice this week, and he will be at best 75% for the Bears game.

Any takers?

Rodgers playing yesterday was stupid, it has hurt the team. Maybe Rodgers felt he had to do it to prove himself, maybe the coaches think they don't have a backup who can win a game. Whatever the reasoning, it backfired.

Tony Oday
10-06-2008, 01:45 PM
AR is the next iron man! LOOK OUT WORLD HE'S GOING TO SHOW YOU A THING OR TWO!

Pugger
10-06-2008, 11:56 PM
The Bear game? He better be better by November 16th.... :wink:

MadtownPacker
10-07-2008, 04:04 AM
I'll bet anybody a nickle that Rodgers doesn't throw in practice this week, and he will be at best 75% for the Bears game.

Any takers?

Rodgers playing yesterday was stupid, it has hurt the team. Maybe Rodgers felt he had to do it to prove himself, maybe the coaches think they don't have a backup who can win a game. Whatever the reasoning, it backfired.I was feeling the same way but after seeing how the defense could not stop ATL for nuthin I now believe this game would have been a total blowout had he not played.

KYPack
10-07-2008, 08:40 AM
I went into this game kinda pissed at Rodgers for whatever reason but the kid sucked it up and left it all on the field. He was hurting and hurting bad but 300 yds and 3 tds dont lie an I give him props for trying to get his team out of the funk it is in. You got my respect ARod.

You got it, pal.

That Aaron Rodgers is tougher than a boiled owl.

He earned the guys respect Sunday. With his strong play, he earned whole team's respect and now can be a leader.

Every player has got to look inside thenselves and figure out how to come back and play hard and tough.

Next time, bring home a winner, will you please.

CaliforniaCheez
10-07-2008, 02:27 PM
Things may be down now but as much as we share our opinions here through the offseason, preseason, season and hopefully postseason, the more more I am convinced that Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson know what they are doing. Or perhaps they see so many more reps than we do that they are way ahead of us.

I did not like the events of the Brett Favre unretirement and trade. Seeing Rodgers perform in a few complete games, I am seeing more of they saw and liked in Rodgers.

I was convinced that this season Rouse would be a starter taking over for either Bigby or Collins. Seeing him play this season convinced me I was incorrect and McCarthy was right.

I thought Kuhn was almost as good as Hall. Mostly what seperated them was the ability to catch a pass. There is much more of a difference than that.

I thought Tauscher ought to get at least a 3 year extension. Now I wonder if Ted is looking forward to a compensatory pick.

No being on the West Coast I don't get to see practice and training camp. It takes a few games to get a handle on things.

When it comes to a controversial decision like cutting Ryan, keeping Bush on the roster, or an injury settlement and cutting Coston, I'm not saying too much because Mike and Ted have been better informed and have made better decisions than I would with my limited observations.

This may be a low point but I'm sure that the Packers have the right people to deal with whatever problem arises.

http://mkeamy.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/08/16/alfred_e_neuman.gif

SnakeLH2006
10-10-2008, 03:10 AM
I give Iron Man Aaron some props...he played and played well....but this shit worries me as it seems like it will happen all season. Sucks when we let an ICON go (who a select few like to diss like all hell cuz they had blind faith in TT/M3 to go 12-4 or 13-3 EVERY YEAR)...as that Icon is doing well as a 39 year old with a new offense for a supposedly inferior team. Go ARod but the fuck if TT knows how to handle personal relations other than a 13 year old tied up in his basement. Pretty sad, but I wish the best for ARod and Brett as they only play the game...not "Catch the Trout" in TT's basement. :cry:

arcilite
10-10-2008, 10:56 AM
I give Iron Man Aaron some props...he played and played well....but this shit worries me as it seems like it will happen all season. Sucks when we let an ICON go (who a select few like to diss like all hell cuz they had blind faith in TT/M3 to go 12-4 or 13-3 EVERY YEAR)...as that Icon is doing well as a 39 year old with a new offense for a supposedly inferior team. Go ARod but the fuck if TT knows how to handle personal relations other than a 13 year old tied up in his basement. Pretty sad, but I wish the best for ARod and Brett as they only play the game...not "Catch the Trout" in TT's basement. :cry:

lol wat?

Gunakor
10-10-2008, 11:53 AM

You must have missed the point I and others have made repeatedly that both Aaron Rodgers AND Brett Favre are starting QB's and had to be starting this year. You can't put Rodgers on the bench anymore if you want him to be the future QB of this team. Either Rodgers had to go or Favre had to go. From that perspective, you keep the guy who's going to be around for a decade plus over the guy who might give you one more good year before he retires. Keeping Rodgers is/was much more important than keeping Favre at this point, because Rodgers offers us a future at the position where Favre does not. Do people here care about the long term consistent success of the Packers? Or are most people so near sighted that they can't see beyond this season?

Pugger
10-10-2008, 12:15 PM
Gunakor might be right. Most fans want success NOW and to blazes with tomorrow. We are a society that wants instant gratification. Both Aaron and Brett should be starting so a decision was made AFTER BRETT RETIRED to name Rodgers our starter. You have to go with a first round pick sooner or later. Yes, Brett changed his mind and that's his right, but the team decided to go with the future and let Brett continue his amazing career in the AFC. We all miss him but he only will be playing 2 more years max.

I don't understand all this hand wringing about Aaron playing with a sore shoulder. If the doctors who examine him think he won't make it worse by playing, who are we to question it? I remember many times Brett would play hurt. Remember that season when he played with a broken thumb on his throwing hand? And I was there at Lambeau when Brett played with a severely sprained ankle a few years back. That sucker was taped up like crazy. What is different about today? Most of the time when Brett was here we had unproven young guys and/or rookies behind him.

Pacopete4
10-10-2008, 02:16 PM
We all miss him but he only will be playing 2 more years max.

Where have I heard that before?.... oh, every offseason... I remember now

Gunakor
10-10-2008, 03:02 PM

Do you think Brett will still be playing when he's 45 years old? I can almost guarantee Aaron will still be playing when Brett is 45. That's the point. Aaron was our QB of the future, and when Brett announced his retirement back in March the future became the present. Had we not made that transition when we did odds are the future would have gone elsewhere. Try to understand that much. The move was made so that Aaron Rodgers would be a Packer and not someone elses QB a few years down the road. Aren't you happy that Aaron Rodgers is a Packer?

I know, I know. You wish they were BOTH Packers. So do I. But it wasn't a possibility this year. They are both starters, and we can't possibly start both players in the same game. One of them HAD to go. That is what I've been trying to get through to you. Neither of them could be stashed on the bench anymore. So look long term and tell me you honestly think TT should have traded Aaron Rodgers rather than Brett Favre. Long term, remember, because TT is responsible for this team's present AND future.

Pacopete4
10-10-2008, 04:13 PM

Do you think Brett will still be playing when he's 45 years old? I can almost guarantee Aaron will still be playing when Brett is 45. That's the point. Aaron was our QB of the future, and when Brett announced his retirement back in March the future became the present. Had we not made that transition when we did odds are the future would have gone elsewhere. Try to understand that much. The move was made so that Aaron Rodgers would be a Packer and not someone elses QB a few years down the road. Aren't you happy that Aaron Rodgers is a Packer?

I know, I know. You wish they were BOTH Packers. So do I. But it wasn't a possibility this year. They are both starters, and we can't possibly start both players in the same game. One of them HAD to go. That is what I've been trying to get through to you. Neither of them could be stashed on the bench anymore. So look long term and tell me you honestly think TT should have traded Aaron Rodgers rather than Brett Favre. Long term, remember, because TT is responsible for this team's present AND future.

actually no.. I really dont want Arod as this future QB

I know he played thru it last week but he wont last... he just wont.. he might have some good skill sets but he just doesnt seem to have an "it" factor to me... i dont watch him and see greatness.. i dunno, maybe its cuz I'm used to seeing it my whole life, but even when Brett first started u could see "it" good and bad..

and ya, I could very well be wrong and thats great cuz it means the Packers have a very good QB, but I just don't think I am

Gunakor
10-10-2008, 07:44 PM

I know he played thru it last week but he wont last... he just wont.. he might have some good skill sets but he just doesnt seem to have an "it" factor to me... i dont watch him and see greatness.. i dunno, maybe its cuz I'm used to seeing it my whole life, but even when Brett first started u could see "it" good and bad..

and ya, I could very well be wrong and thats great cuz it means the Packers have a very good QB, but I just don't think I am

Do you remember when Brett first started? It was 17 years ago, so you might have to think real hard. He was HORRIBLE. I can remember screaming at the TV for Holmgren to put in Majikowski, or Brunell, hell even Dilweg a time or two. He was NOT a good QB. Mike Holmgren MADE him a good QB, just like Mike McCarthy is MAKING Aaron Rodgers a good QB. Both HC's specialty is as a QB coach. Both HC's prized pupil will be the QB they made for the Green Bay Packers. There's some exciting news for ya!

Rastak
10-10-2008, 07:47 PM

Paco,

Very few do...if you are waiting for that you might be waiting a really long time. Plus, isn't it a bit early to make that call on Rodgers?

Scott Campbell
10-10-2008, 10:14 PM
He's just a kid - doesn't know any better.

Zool
10-10-2008, 10:32 PM
Are you trying to say that its out of line to expect a string of HOF calibur QB's over the next 30+ years?

cpk1994
10-11-2008, 12:16 AM

You must have missed the point I and others have made repeatedly that both Aaron Rodgers AND Brett Favre are starting QB's and had to be starting this year. You can't put Rodgers on the bench anymore if you want him to be the future QB of this team. Either Rodgers had to go or Favre had to go. From that perspective, you keep the guy who's going to be around for a decade plus over the guy who might give you one more good year before he retires. Keeping Rodgers is/was much more important than keeping Favre at this point, because Rodgers offers us a future at the position where Favre does not. Do people here care about the long term consistent success of the Packers? Or are most people so near sighted that they can't see beyond this season?All they can see is getting Favre a ring. It doesn't matter the cost to the TEAM.

Rastak
10-11-2008, 03:21 AM

You must have missed the point I and others have made repeatedly that both Aaron Rodgers AND Brett Favre are starting QB's and had to be starting this year. You can't put Rodgers on the bench anymore if you want him to be the future QB of this team. Either Rodgers had to go or Favre had to go. From that perspective, you keep the guy who's going to be around for a decade plus over the guy who might give you one more good year before he retires. Keeping Rodgers is/was much more important than keeping Favre at this point, because Rodgers offers us a future at the position where Favre does not. Do people here care about the long term consistent success of the Packers? Or are most people so near sighted that they can't see beyond this season?All they can see is getting Favre a ring. It doesn't matter the cost to the TEAM.

Doesn't that net the TEAM a 1st round pick?

cpk1994
10-11-2008, 04:00 AM

Doesn't that net the TEAM a 1st round pick?You misunderstood my statement. What I am talking about is Favre fans wanted TT to keep Favre here another year at the expense of the long term success of the Packers just to get Favre a ring, even if it meant that the Packers long term success would be seriously in doubt. Basically, they put Favre above the team and that is bullshit.

Rastak
10-11-2008, 07:56 AM
Hmmm, so some people wanted to trade a few years of mediocrity for a Super Bowl win? Alot of people would gladly make that trade. Plus, it's not like Rodgers could just leave if he wanted. He's under contract and could be franchised if they really felt that strongly about his bright future.

cpk1994
10-11-2008, 08:03 AM
Hmmm, so some people wanted to trade a few years of mediocrity for a Super Bowl win? Alot of people would gladly make that trade. Plus, it's not like Rodgers could just leave if he wanted. He's under contract and could be franchised if they really felt that strongly about his bright future.How do you know that it would be medocrity? That claim is baseless becuase you can't predict the future. And franchising Rodgers without having played a meaningful down would have been the single dumbest thing TT could ever do in his GM life. TT would have an even bigger mess on his hands if he did that.

Rastak
10-11-2008, 08:07 AM
Hmmm, so some people wanted to trade a few years of mediocrity for a Super Bowl win? Alot of people would gladly make that trade. Plus, it's not like Rodgers could just leave if he wanted. He's under contract and could be franchised if they really felt that strongly about his bright future.How do you know that it would be medocrity? That claim is baseless becuase you can't predict the future. And franchising Rodgers without having played a meaningful down would have been the single dumbest thing TT could ever do in his GM life. TT would have an even bigger mess on his hands if he did that.

I can predict the future as well you seem to be able to LOL. :wink:

cpk1994
10-11-2008, 08:11 AM

I can predict the future as well you seem to be able to LOL. :wink:No, but at least TT was smart enough to know that if he didn't trade Favre his QB situatuion would be the same in two years as the VIkings is now: Garbage.

Rastak
10-11-2008, 08:20 AM

I can predict the future as well you seem to be able to LOL. :wink:No, but at least TT was smart enough to know that if he didn't trade Favre his QB situatuion would be the same in two years as the VIkings is now: Garbage.

And this has led to.......drum roll......a tie with the Packers! 2-3 Yea......LOL.

I think your doom and gloom scenario is bullshit but I have to admit that TT amd MM were the guys with the info to make the call. It was their opinion obviously that it wouldn't work. Do remember, they ain't the pope,they make mistakes on occasion. so it isn't 100% certain they made the right call. Obviously I don't have a huge stake in this, it's just my opinion based on the facts I know of.

cpk1994
10-11-2008, 08:31 AM

And this has led to.......drum roll......a tie with the Packers! 2-3 Yea......LOL.

I think your doom and gloom scenario is bullshit but I have to admit that TT amd MM were the guys with the info to make the call. It was their opinion obviously that it wouldn't work. Do remember, they ain't the pope,they make mistakes on occasion. so it isn't 100% certain they made the right call. Obviously I don't have a huge stake in this, it's just my opinion based on the facts I know of.Sure they make mistakes, but this is fact: If Favre was allowed back in two years the Packers wouold have no Favre AND no ARod. What they would be left with is Flynn and Brohm. No expeirence at the most important postion at all.

Rastak
10-11-2008, 08:39 AM

I think your doom and gloom scenario is bullshit but I have to admit that TT amd MM were the guys with the info to make the call. It was their opinion obviously that it wouldn't work. Do remember, they ain't the pope,they make mistakes on occasion. so it isn't 100% certain they made the right call. Obviously I don't have a huge stake in this, it's just my opinion based on the facts I know of.Sure they make mistakes, but this is fact: If Favre was allowed back in two years the Packers wouold have no Favre AND no ARod. What they would be left with is Flynn and Brohm. No expeirence at the most important postion at all.

Now it's your turn to predict the future? How do you know this to be fact?

No player can just leave if the team doesn't want him to. That's why they created tags. If Rodgers continues playing like this he's gonna get a BIG ASSED CHECK by the end of next year. How can you say it would be significantly lower overall than a one year tag? They'd work out a deal I would guess in the end, after one year unde a tag. Plus with the packers cap situation I don't agree that it would be the dumbest thing in the world. Unless you had serious questions on the guys ability and that doesn't seem to be the case based on this summers actions.

cpk1994
10-11-2008, 08:45 AM

No player can just leave if the team doesn't want him to. That's why they created tags. If Rodgers continues playing like this he's gonna get a BIG ASSED CHECK by the end of next year. How can you say it would be significantly lower overall than a one year tag? They'd work out a deal I would guess in the end, after one year unde a tag. Plus with the packers cap situation I don't agree that it would be the dumbest thing in the world. Unless you had serious questions on the guys ability and that doesn't seem to be the case based on this summers actions.Now you are confusing the present with the hypothetical situation of Favre being here and being the starter. No GM would tag Rodgers or any player that hasn't played a meaningful down. No one. If TT tagged Rodgers after caving into Favre while telling Rogers he was the man, don't ever expect Rodgers to accept any offer.

He can get the big check now becuase Favre is gone. Don't confuse the two.

Scott Campbell
10-11-2008, 09:08 AM
No player can just leave if the team doesn't want him to.

That's the rule, and how it works in theory. As a practical matter, I present to you Exhibit A:

http://msnbcmedia1.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/051107/051107_terrell_owens_vmed.widec.jpg

mraynrand
10-11-2008, 09:14 AM

That's the rule, and how it works in theory. As a practical matter, I present to you Exhibit A:

http://msnbcmedia1.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/051107/051107_terrell_owens_vmed.widec.jpg

Hi there!
http://www2.jsonline.com/packer/image/01mugs/mmckenzie.jpg

cpk1994
10-11-2008, 09:23 AM

Hi there!
http://www2.jsonline.com/packer/image/01mugs/mmckenzie.jpg

This guy says Hi too:

http://l.yimg.com/a/i/us/sp/v/nfl/players_l/20080904/5906.jpg

Rastak
10-11-2008, 09:25 AM

No player can just leave if the team doesn't want him to. That's why they created tags. If Rodgers continues playing like this he's gonna get a BIG ASSED CHECK by the end of next year. How can you say it would be significantly lower overall than a one year tag? They'd work out a deal I would guess in the end, after one year unde a tag. Plus with the packers cap situation I don't agree that it would be the dumbest thing in the world. Unless you had serious questions on the guys ability and that doesn't seem to be the case based on this summers actions.Now you are confusing the present with the hypothetical situation of Favre being here and being the starter. No GM would tag Rodgers or any player that hasn't played a meaningful down. No one. If TT tagged Rodgers after caving into Favre while telling Rogers he was the man, don't ever expect Rodgers to accept any offer.

He can get the big check now becuase Favre is gone. Don't confuse the two.

Well, then make sure he gets some starts next year. In fact, name him the starter and set Favre free after this year as one scenario. Another would be to tender him with a 1 and a 3. If noone would pay a guy top 5 for a single year not to lose him, would anyone deal a 1 and a 3 for someone who had never taken a meaningful snap? Seems just as unlikely. I just think they had options. Moot point of course, this is just a means nothing hypothetical discussion to kill off an hour before the mightly Gophers take the field (I'm kidding on the Gophs).

On the Owens thing, is Rodgers that sort of guy? There are definately players who can get out of the tag situation, but they generally have to be assholes to start with to pull it off. :)

MJZiggy
10-11-2008, 09:31 AM
Ras, that only keeps him for one year, and in theory pisses him off even more as players seem to unilaterally hate being tagged.

Scott Campbell
10-11-2008, 09:33 AM
On the Owens thing, is Rodgers that sort of guy? There are definately players who can get out of the tag situation, but they generally have to be assholes to start with to pull it off. :)

McKenzie showed no outward signs of assholitus prior to his demands to leave. And Rodgers would have had far more reason to be bitter about his treatment by the organization.

Rastak
10-11-2008, 09:56 AM

McKenzie showed no outward signs of assholitus prior to his demands to leave. And Rodgers would have had far more reason to be bitter about his treatment by the organization.

You might be right. He did take a financial bath by not starting earlier. He had alot of incentives in his contract he never met. He'd probably be pretty pissed if it happened again this year. He'll be looking to recoup all that with his nect contract me thinks.

Zool
10-11-2008, 09:31 PM

Wrongo Jasperson, we gots the tie breaker.