PDA

View Full Version : Despite Defensive woes - they played good enough to win.

packerbacker1234
10-05-2008, 04:45 PM
Picture this. The game is getting late, and the packers are down by 3 points. Falcons are driving and looking to score, virtually putting the game away.

Interception. Packers get the ball, down by 3. We come out all guns blazing, throwing, throwing, throwing.... punt.

You know what lost us this game? Again, the Coaching staff. Down by three, there is ZERO reason to give up on the run game. ZERO. Yet, again, MM went away from it in a tight game, asking a first year starter to win the game. Come on, seriously?

That was the difference in the game. The falcons never gave up on the run, even after we stuffed them for a few straight series in the first half. The packers, however did. How is our offense going to wear down anyone's defense when we just GIVE UP on pounding hte rock?

Doesn't make sense to me. Say what you will about the defense (yes, overall, it was poor even though a handful stood out) they did do enough to win. They got a crucial turnover to turn the tide, and the offense rewarded the defense for the momentum switch by putting them right back on the field.

Our defense doesn't have the depth to be on the field 3/4 of the game. And, again, for 5th straight game, our defense was seemingly on the field all game. The falcons punted 4 times, plus an interception. Thats a grand total of 5 stops.

Of those 5 stops, the packers produced 3 points offensively.

Come on guys, that is not going to get it done. It's not AR's fault, but lets face it, our offense always finds a way to not be able to finish drives. Either AR gets inaccurate, we stop running the ball, or another holding penalty takes points off the board.

Lets face it guys: Our offense is not scoring until it's too late. The defense doesn't have the depth to hold a team all game. They only allowed 17 points for a majority of the game, and held them scoreless the entire third quarter. We have to produce offensively to give, if anything, the defense a break. AR is did well, especially hurt.

Still, two big coaching mistakes in my mind.

1. Not sticking with the run. Why does he insist on giving up on it when in spurts it has been successful? If we keep pounding it, the other teams D is tired in the 4th, not ours.

2. Playing AR at all. Not because he couldn't perform (because he obviously did), but because it was clear the arm was getting worse and worse all game in terms of pain. Sorry, but I would of rather had AR rest an extra week so there is no pain then to play and risk having that pain linger all season.

BallHawk
10-05-2008, 04:48 PM
The dude had 300 yards and 3 TDs. If Brett does what A-Rod did life continues as usual and the legend grows. We're not even close to being in this game if Aaron isn't playing. You think Flynn lobs the ball up right between two defenders and hits Driver? No way.

Iron Mike
10-05-2008, 04:53 PM
They played WELL enough to win. :roll:

packerbacker1234
10-05-2008, 04:56 PM
The dude had 300 yards and 3 TDs. If Brett does what A-Rod did life continues as usual and the legend grows. We're not even close to being in this game if Aaron isn't playing. You think Flynn lobs the ball up right between two defenders and hits Driver? No way.

Wow, you act like I was blaming AR for the loss? Come on now, settle down. Why was Favre even mentioned? He had nothing to do with my statement. My statement was that AR should not of played, or been pulled, becasue the pain got worse and worse as the game progressed.

I don't care how well you are playing, if it's getting worse, and it's not a must win game, get off the field. I am in no way suggesting Flynn does better then AR did, what I was claiming is for the betterment of AR and the team, he should of rested. Or, do you want this pain to linger all year and eventually get to the point where one of the weeks, the strength DOESN'T come back, it's late in the season, and NOW we have to stick flynn in.

Personally, I would rather AR get healthy, then do what he did. This isn't a leg injury, or a lower body, adominal, or injury to the hand and/or left arm. It's his throwing shoulder. Pretty sure that is essential to success. Yes he played well, I just think this could effect him down the road this season when it is must win.

As for the lob to driver? Why wouldn't he? It was a designed PA Deep pass, and Driver was open at the point of the QB throwing hte ball (watch the replay, driver beat his guy and the safety wasn't there yet). They closed fast. So yes, I think Flynn would of made that throw. In fact, I think a lot of QB's would of. He was open.

As for the one to jennings? I just gotta say, I don't know how that got there. Meaning, what the hell were those CB's doing? Great for us, but man. Same on that one throw to Ruevell, the defender totally wiffed on a free int.

Anyways, I am not knocking AR. I just want him to be healthy long haul.

Pacopete4
10-05-2008, 05:04 PM

Wow, you act like I was blaming AR for the loss? Come on now, settle down. Why was Favre even mentioned? He had nothing to do with my statement. My statement was that AR should not of played, or been pulled, becasue the pain got worse and worse as the game progressed.

I don't care how well you are playing, if it's getting worse, and it's not a must win game, get off the field. I am in no way suggesting Flynn does better then AR did, what I was claiming is for the betterment of AR and the team, he should of rested. Or, do you want this pain to linger all year and eventually get to the point where one of the weeks, the strength DOESN'T come back, it's late in the season, and NOW we have to stick flynn in.

Personally, I would rather AR get healthy, then do what he did. This isn't a leg injury, or a lower body, adominal, or injury to the hand and/or left arm. It's his throwing shoulder. Pretty sure that is essential to success. Yes he played well, I just think this could effect him down the road this season when it is must win.

As for the lob to driver? Why wouldn't he? It was a designed PA Deep pass, and Driver was open at the point of the QB throwing hte ball (watch the replay, driver beat his guy and the safety wasn't there yet). They closed fast. So yes, I think Flynn would of made that throw. In fact, I think a lot of QB's would of. He was open.

As for the one to jennings? I just gotta say, I don't know how that got there. Meaning, what the hell were those CB's doing? Great for us, but man. Same on that one throw to Ruevell, the defender totally wiffed on a free int.

packerbacker1234,

people around here are real testy about Arod as u just learned... watch it or next thing u know, u'll be a troll and somehow not a packer fan to these people haah

cpk1994
10-05-2008, 05:08 PM

packerbacker1234,

people around here are real testy about Arod as u just learned... watch it or next thing u know, u'll be a troll and somehow not a packer fan to these people haahNo, you are a troll for a lot more than just ARod.

Pacopete4
10-05-2008, 05:10 PM

packerbacker1234,

people around here are real testy about Arod as u just learned... watch it or next thing u know, u'll be a troll and somehow not a packer fan to these people haahNo, you are a troll for a lot more than just ARod.

:soap:

3irty1
10-05-2008, 05:12 PM
We actually beat them in time of possession. The difference between the Packers this year and the Packers last year is all the penalties.

packerbacker1234
10-05-2008, 05:16 PM
We actually beat them in time of possession. The difference between the Packers this year and the Packers last year is all the penalties.

Well, to a point. What I meant was that we constantly go away from the gameplan late in every single close game we have. Everyone wants to knock the run game... but it's as if after the first half we don't try. Guess what, most teams run game is best in the 3rd and 4th quarter.

Turner was shut down most of the first half. Second half he started wearing us down.

I realize our offense was on the field more - but the production in points wasn't there. The defense held the falcons long enough for our offense to take control, and it didn't happen. We know Our D is thin, so they are going to get tired late. We need the offense to pick up points when the D is holding steady. Can't wait till the 4th every game to score.

pbmax
10-05-2008, 06:25 PM
Yes, but the D was much more effective in the first half of last year.

The offense struggled much more at the beginning. Jennings was hurt and Driver was facing a box and 1. And we all remember the black void of a run game.

The defense is in a tailspin worse than the offense was last year.

packerbacker1234
10-05-2008, 06:54 PM
Yes, but the D was much more effective in the first half of last year.

The offense struggled much more at the beginning. Jennings was hurt and Driver was facing a box and 1. And we all remember the black void of a run game.

The defense is in a tailspin worse than the offense was last year.

Outside of the first game of the season - Our offense put a ton of points of the board, even without a run game. And, most of the points were not in the 4th quarter.