PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Line

Harlan Huckleby
10-05-2008, 07:54 PM
Sorry for starting a new thread, but that "Lines" thread is a cat fight. It offends my tender sensibilities, and besides I just want to talk about the white guys.

I like what I saw of Darren College at LT, I'm not sure he wouldn't be better than Chad Clifton with some work. Clifton has set a relatively low bar this season.

And I saw GREAT things from Barbre on a couple plays I noticed. Guy can really drive block. Larry McCarren has said in past interviews that the guy has a lot of talent and is gonna be a player.

I say fuck it: I want to see a major shake-up of the offensive line. There is no "continuity" worth preserving in the current line-up. Lets develop some new guys, they aren't going to be much worse than the old guard, and might have some upside.

How about College-Babre-Spitz-Stitton-Tauscher? Essay question: why the hell not?

falco
10-05-2008, 07:55 PM
:trll:

Pacopete4
:trll:

:jack:

PackerTimer
Sorry for starting a new thread, but that "Lines" thread is a cat fight. It offends my tender sensibilities, and besides I just want to talk about the white guys.

I like what I saw of Darren College at LT, I'm not sure he wouldn't be better than Chad Clifton with some work. Clifton has set a relatively low bar this season.

And I saw GREAT things from Barbre on a couple plays I noticed. Guy can really drive block. Larry McCarren has said in past interviews that the guy has a lot of talent and is gonna be a player.

I say fuck it: I want to see a major shake-up of the offensive line. There is no "continuity" worth preserving in the current line-up. Lets develop some new guys, they aren't going to be much worse than the old guard, and might have some upside.

How about College-Babre-Spitz-Stitton-Tauscher? Essay question: why the hell not?

Two weeks ago I said that Clifton-College-Wells-Spitz-Tauscher was our best line. Now I'm not so sure. I think the line you propose might be the best we can put out there.

falco
10-05-2008, 07:57 PM
HARLAN you asshole I just suggested the same thing in the other thread...how about you credit me when you steal my material...you think since you were a co-founder of this place the rules don't apply to you???

Harlan Huckleby
10-05-2008, 07:59 PM
huh? I didn't see your comment. Must have been in the thread about Brett Favre. Or the other thread thread about Brett Favre.

I'm calling you a liar. I spell that L-I-A-R

PackerTimer
10-05-2008, 08:00 PM
huh? I didn't see your comment. Must have been in the thread about Brett Favre. Or the other thread thread about Brett Favre.

There's a thread about Brett Favre?

falco
10-05-2008, 08:10 PM

I'm calling you a liar. I spell that L-I-A-R

a likely story :?:

red
10-05-2008, 08:21 PM
yeah, i'm ready for a massive shakeup

why not? there appears to me anyways to be little hope of the current line

RashanGary
10-05-2008, 08:24 PM

You might be right in time.

- I think the Spitz/Tausch right side can hold up in the run game. They did a nice job today.
-I think Colledge is an upgrade from Clifton in the run game and Barbre and upgrade from Colledge. The left side could be OK right now
-I can't stand Wells. I want him gone. I can't imagine Wells pussiness is worse than Sittons rookieness right now. It's not worth it to suffer now for the long term gain. Sitton will be here next year. We can put the best line on the field today (may or may not include Clifton) and still have the best line next year (may include Sitton).

Joemailman
10-05-2008, 08:25 PM
The run game did seem to pick up with Clifton came out and Barbre came in. I don't think a lineup change will happen right away, but we might see Barbre more as the season wears on. A solid running game may help Rodgers more than a great pass blocker.

RashanGary
10-05-2008, 08:29 PM
Let's assume Barbre and Sitton (are now or become) the stronger, drive blocking lineman that we need. Let's also assume Clifton is the worst run blocker ever. What would these changes likely mean in the long term (next year and beyond)

speaking strictly on run blocking, this is what could happen

Colledge >> run blocker than Clifton
Barbre > run blocker than Colledge
Spitz >> run blocker than Wells
Sitton > run blocker than Spitz
Tausch = Tausch

Hmmm. . . I just don't think Sitton is there yet. Next year this very well could be a big part of the answer. If we could run better, it would slow down some of that pass rush and help our defense out. Clifton is one of the best pass blockers in the NFL, but damn, we need a run game more than a pass blocker right now (just saw joemailmans comment. . . great minds).

Fred's Slacks
10-05-2008, 08:38 PM
Let's assume Barbre and Sitton are now or become the stronger, drive blocking lineman that we need. Let's also assume Clifton is the worst run blocker ever. What would these changes likely mean in the long term (next year and beyond)

Tausch = Tausch

Hmmm. . . I just don't think Sitton is there yet. Next year this very well could be a big part of the answer. If we could run better, it would slow down some of that pass rush and help our defense out. Clifton is one of the best pass blockers in the NFL, but damn, we need a run game more than a pass blocker right now (just saw joemailmans comment. . . great minds).

Agreed. Only thing is, right now, Clifton is not one of the best anythings in the NFL. I take that back, he is one of the best at getting a holding penalty or giving up a sack to kill a drive. He's gotta be playing hurt. He stoned Jared Allen all game. Since then he's been shit. I don't see us losing anything by sitting him right now.

pbmax
10-05-2008, 08:51 PM
Do not fall in love with Colledge at LT. Given Clifton's injury and less than stellar performance, he looked like an improvement for a while. But when the Falcons rushed four on the screen pass and Colledge had Abraham one on one, he didn't get a glove on him.

He also may have received help by way of formation. The Falcons move Abraham to the weak side I believe. On that play, the was next to Tauscher and Colledge got torched.

He did look like he was more able in the run game, but I don't think he is the long term answer there. Perhaps only to get Cliffy healthy.

pbmax
10-05-2008, 08:53 PM
This side of the line is the least of our big guy concerns. What we should be asking is if any of our OLine can play DT or RDE.

Harlan Huckleby
10-05-2008, 09:01 PM

Tausch = Tausch

This might all be right. (Especially the Tausch before and after eval)

Harlan Huckleby
10-05-2008, 09:05 PM
Do not fall in love with Colledge at LT. .

ya, but why fall in love with Clifton? He is fading.

I was listening to a local radio show with a couple ex-badgers who played line in the NFL. They both thought that Colledge is going to be an excellent LT, better than at guard.

pbmax
10-05-2008, 09:40 PM
Do not fall in love with Colledge at LT. .

ya, but why fall in love with Clifton? He is fading.

I was listening to a local radio show with a couple ex-badgers who played line in the NFL. They both thought that Colledge is going to be an excellent LT, better than at guard.
Too short and limited wingspan. He will always be at a disadvantage. Its possible LT is his best position and he will not be able to be successful there due to size.

Harlan Huckleby
10-05-2008, 10:15 PM
I'll give you an offensive line:
“Great legs, what time do they open?”

Harlan Huckleby
10-05-2008, 10:21 PM
"Excuse me, but do you give head to strangers? No. Well, then, allow me to introduce myself."

bobblehead
10-06-2008, 12:36 AM
Do not fall in love with Colledge at LT. Given Clifton's injury and less than stellar performance, he looked like an improvement for a while. But when the Falcons rushed four on the screen pass and Colledge had Abraham one on one, he didn't get a glove on him.

He also may have received help by way of formation. The Falcons move Abraham to the weak side I believe. On that play, the was next to Tauscher and Colledge got torched.

He did look like he was more able in the run game, but I don't think he is the long term answer there. Perhaps only to get Cliffy healthy.

While not being "in love" with college, I did notice he manhandled abraham the VERY FIRST running play we went at him when the switch was made. That being said he got beat a couple times too.

bottom line: Clifton has been sucking huge dick this season and he got benched today when MM couldn't take it any more. I like the move. I have no idea what the answers are going forward, but we haven't been run blocking or pass blocking worth a squirt of piss and when that happens you gotta hold guys accountable. Today that happened and I hope we can find some solid answers going forward or this season could get ugly fast.

Partial
10-06-2008, 10:07 AM
Abraham when healthy is one of the best pass rushers in the league. He is outright dominate. He is a heck of a player, but he is consistently hurt.