PDA

View Full Version : My 10 mile race

Cheesehead Craig
10-06-2008, 11:18 AM
I ran in the Twin Cities 10 Mile race yesterday. It was my first long distance race of my life and given I have activity induced asthma (had it since I was a kid), it was a huge deal for me.

I finished in 1 hr 35 min and 50 sec. That's a 9:35/mile pace. It's faster than I thought I would run so I'm thrilled. It was in the low 50's and it started to rain when I was around mile 9. It got cold and miserable real quick after I finished, but it was totally worth it.

Definately looking forward to running this next year and getting that time lowered.

sheepshead
10-06-2008, 11:56 AM
I ran in the Twin Cities 10 Mile race yesterday. It was my first long distance race of my life and given I have activity induced asthma (had it since I was a kid), it was a huge deal for me.

I finished in 1 hr 35 min and 50 sec. That's a 9:35/mile pace. It's faster than I thought I would run so I'm thrilled. It was in the low 50's and it started to rain when I was around mile 9. It got cold and miserable real quick after I finished, but it was totally worth it.

Definately looking forward to running this next year and getting that time lowered.

Geez Louise Nice Job, congratulations indeed!

oregonpackfan
10-06-2008, 12:24 PM
Good job, guy.

If you want to improve your running and lower your times, I suggest you join a running training group, or, if you can afford it, a personal running trainer.

After running alone for years and getting some information on my own from books, running magazines, I thought I was prepared for my first marathon. I completed it but was in considerable pain days afterward.

Several years later, I joined a marathon training group for my skill level. I learned so much more, made new friends, and significantly improved my running. Running with a group gives you more incentive and keeps things challenging.

For my second marathon, I beat my PR(personal record) by an incredible 29 minutes! Not only did I run faster, I felt better--even going home to mow the lawn and do other chores! :) My wife was happy I wasn't "wasted" for the rest of the day like I was for my first marathon. :lol:

Running with those guys and gals in the training group led me into other adventures like relay runs(Hood To Coast) and trail running.

Give the running groups a call. You certainly don't have to be an "elite" runner to join and participate.

Cheesehead Craig
10-06-2008, 12:30 PM
Thanks guys.

OPF - There is a running club at the gym here at work. I've been intimidated by them as they all are marathoners and big-time runners like that. I think I'll give them a call. I don't have any plans on doing a marathon at this point but it won't hurt to see what info I can get.

retailguy
10-06-2008, 12:45 PM
What an accomplishment! Congrats. Took lots of work and practice, I'm sure.

oregonpackfan
10-06-2008, 02:18 PM
Thanks guys.

OPF - There is a running club at the gym here at work. I've been intimidated by them as they all are marathoners and big-time runners like that. I think I'll give them a call..

Hey, Cheesehead, don't be intimidated by those guys. There was a stage for each one of them where they had not run a marathon or even a 10K.

It has been my pleasant experience that most "Big-time runners" are more than willing to share running training tips with novices or "Average Joe" runners like myself.

One year, I competed in Oregon's Hood To Coast Relay Run where teams of 12 runners run 195 miles from Mount Hood to the Coast. For each team, a runner runs three legs ranging from 4 to 6 miles per leg.

After completing one of my legs, I was standing in line for a "Port-a-Potty" and turned around to meet world class distance runner Alberto Salazar running for Team Nike! :shock:

I introduced myself and we had a very pleasant conversation with the guy. He was very cordial and down to earth. My only regret was the line in front of me wasn't long enough! :lol:

Cheesehead Craig
10-06-2008, 04:35 PM
I think what would be fun next year would be to do a 1/2 marathon in a city I haven't been in before. I'm going to look into that. Maybe go run in the New England states somewhere.

RashanGary
10-06-2008, 05:55 PM
Congrats. It takes work to get up to those distances and determination to finish long runs.

I was training for a marathon. My last run was 20 miles before I injured my knee about a month ago. I'm swimming and building my leg muscle up right now with heavier lifting (for some reason I can lift anythign, but not run with my knee). I don't think my legs were strong enough to get through the grueling training schedule. I think you have to start with a little extra muscle because training for a marathon, you can't help but lose muscle.

digitaldean
10-06-2008, 10:40 PM
JH,

I can sympathize with ya. I've run my share of half marathons and even finished a full marathon 4 hrs. 29 minutes. (but climbing stairs was an adventure the next day...) It does take a lot of gradual training and a big time commitment to train for a marathon. It does take a lot out of you, no doubt.

I ripped my knee up under the knee cap while jogging this past spring. Had to go to an orthopedist, MRIs, etc. Was told that the structure of my knee won't take the daily pounding of running. I have to try rehab exercises to strengthen the muscle around the knee and can TRY running 1 mile to see if I can take it.

I loved running. It was one of the few things I could do where I could listen to some tunes and zone out while exercising. Walking just doesn't match it, IMO.

MadtownPacker
10-07-2008, 03:20 AM
10 miles? Damn, I might not have ran that much in my whole life. THats tight.