PDA

View Full Version : Ruvell for 3rd receiver?

Partial
10-06-2008, 12:03 PM
I am really warming up to Ruvell Martin. It seems like all he does is make plays. With JJ hurt, and Jordy a rookie, I'd like to see them give Ruvell some more reps.

Anybody with me on this?

packers11
10-06-2008, 12:09 PM
I like him were he is, he's not the fastest guy in the world but he has decent hands... JJ made a good catch yesterday, and is definitely a bigger threat in the slot...

I would like to see him out there more then the rookie though, it seems like he is #5 instead of #4 on the depth chart...

oregonpackfan
10-06-2008, 12:13 PM
Martin brings a couple of strengths over both Jones and Nelson, IMO.

First, he has excellent height. For the corner end zone type of "toss-up" pass, his height is an asset over the shorter defensive backs.

Second, he is a very good downfield blocker. His blocking is an advantage for screens, passes in the flat, etc.

cpk1994
10-06-2008, 12:15 PM
I say "If in ain't broke, don't fix it". Ruvell should saty where he is.

Partial
10-06-2008, 12:16 PM
I say "If in ain't broke, don't fix it". Ruvell should saty where he is.

In my opinion, what we have is working "just good enough". I always strive for excellence, so I'd rather give Martin his shot at glory.

Partial
10-06-2008, 12:17 PM
Martin brings a couple of strengths over both Jones and Nelson, IMO.

First, he has excellent height. For the corner end zone type of "toss-up" pass, his height is an asset over the shorter defensive backs.

Second, he is a very good downfield blocker. His blocking is an advantage for screens, passes in the flat, etc.

Very good point. I didn't even consider his blocking and the potential positive ramifications this could have on the third down screens M3 likes to run to Jackson.

Fred's Slacks
10-06-2008, 12:18 PM

Good point. A lot of people don't realize how much a good blocking wide out can help a running game. Turns 5 yard runs into 15 yard runs.

Harlan Huckleby
10-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Jordy Nelson is a much more fluid athlete than the other two guys, he is already doing fine out there.

Play Nelson as the #3, go for the upside.

Freak Out
10-06-2008, 01:33 PM
I don't care where they play him as long as they "get him the damn ball" :lol:

I was screaming for Rodgers to throw the ball to Ruvell on Sunday...and they did a few times.

Tony Oday
10-06-2008, 01:47 PM
I've always like Martin. I like the tall guy in the End Zone :)

James Jones though looks like a stud...

HarveyWallbangers
10-06-2008, 02:06 PM
James Jones though looks like a stud...

James Jones looks like a stud?

Tony Oday
10-06-2008, 02:23 PM
I think he looks HUGE going over the middle...he will be a stud...sorry I should have clarified that :)

3irty1
10-06-2008, 02:45 PM
I don't see a big difference between Martin, Nelson, and Jones at this point. Martin does need more reps. I think James Jones will eventually prove to be the best of the lot though.

retailguy
10-06-2008, 06:47 PM
Can Ruvell play guard, tackle or center? Maybe defensive Lineman or defensive end? No? crap.

Gunakor
10-06-2008, 06:53 PM
I like our WR's just where they are. I was on board with moving Nelson up to #3 before the season began, but I'm fine with JJ as our #3 and Nelson as our #4. I'm okay with bringing in Martin on certain plays as the #3 or #4, such as 3rd and medium or RZ attempts, but I don't think he should be lining up as a #3 or #4 on a regular basis.

Scott Campbell
10-06-2008, 07:11 PM
I don't see a big difference between Martin, Nelson, and Jones at this point. Martin does need more reps. I think James Jones will eventually prove to be the best of the lot though.

I agree with this. You've got Jennings, then Driver, and then a bit of a drop off to the other 3 guys who are all clustered together. Jordy looks pretty good for a rook.

Harlan Huckleby
10-06-2008, 07:30 PM

Jones is in his third year, and he's demonstrated that he can't catch a cold. No more "eventually"

I agree that there is not a huge difference between the three at this point, its not a big issue who is officially the #3, they all bring different advantages. I say Nelson is just as good as the other two right now, and he has the upside - play him.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-06-2008, 07:32 PM

Jones is in his third year, and he's demonstrated that he can't catch a cold. No more "eventually"

I agree that there is not a huge difference between the three at this point, its not a big issue who is officially the #3, they all bring different advantages. I say Nelson is just as good as the other two right now, and he has the upside - play him.

Jones is in his 2nd year and he is hurt. No doubt that he drops some balls. So does DD.

Harlan Huckleby
10-06-2008, 07:38 PM
you got a jones on for that guy.

I see nothin. You just don't want to see the white man succeed at WR.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-06-2008, 07:47 PM
Ty doesn't see color...all he sees is green and gold.

Bretsky
10-06-2008, 08:58 PM
I am really warming up to Ruvell Martin. It seems like all he does is make plays. With JJ hurt, and Jordy a rookie, I'd like to see them give Ruvell some more reps.

Anybody with me on this?

Ruvell remains average IMO with limited upside

cpk1994
10-06-2008, 09:03 PM
Ty doesn't see color...all he sees is green and gold.Ok, this one makes my head hurt.