PDA

View Full Version : Want to re-live some pain? - "The Catch"

woodbuck27
06-24-2006, 12:02 AM
Here is the one that was stolen from us. Many of you watched it live on TV. Also this was Reggie White's last game.

It was Jan.3,1999.

With 1:47 left on the clock and all three time outs. Steve Young and the 49ers engineered a 76 yard drive, capped off with a 25 yard touchdown pass to Terrell Owens with three seconds on the clock, to shock us out of the playoff's. That was the day I came to know T.O.

You'll see the anxiety on Brett Favre's face as he watch's this incredible drama unfold, from the sidelines.

The Officials blew this one for us, as clearly you will see Jerry Rice fumble with about 40 seconds on the clock, ( stripped by #55 Harris tackling and #43 McGarrahan got his right hand on the ball and popped it out ). This was Rice's only declared catch of the game.

That allowed the drive to continue as we should have taken over possession with 27 seconds remaining on the clock.

If you want to see a brutal bit of OUR recent history. . . your warned. Still there is alot to see and learn from this video.

The quality of the video is good.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4Bw92WM03vI&mode=related&search=Terrell%20Owens

Homer Jay
06-24-2006, 12:25 AM
Now would you like to poke a sharp stick in my eye? To this day, when that rerun comes on I change the channel. Also, for the record I didn't read your post. Too painful.

HarveyWallbangers
06-24-2006, 12:27 AM
What he said.

woodbuck27
06-24-2006, 12:28 AM
Now would you like to poke a sharp stick in my eye? To this day, when that rerun comes on I change the channel. Also, for the record I didn't read your post. Too painful.

I watched it on TV and woke up the next morning and imagined. . . that it was all 'just a nightmare'.

It took me a really long time to get over that robbery but I soon was more familiar with T.O.

OS PA
06-24-2006, 12:48 AM
Damn, I didnt' remember how much push our three down line-man had! Reggie White, well I guess he's Reggie White, pressured Steve Young every single play. Damn.

HarveyWallbangers
06-24-2006, 12:55 AM
I shared about 8 pitchers of Leinie's with a buddy on game day. As soon the Niners got the bogus call, I sat down and knew the Niners were going to win. I know it's a defeatist's attitude, but when you get a bad vibe and you're drunk, you think crazy thoughts.

MadtownPacker
06-24-2006, 02:15 AM
I sat down and knew the Niners were going to win. I know it's a defeatist's attitude, but when you get a bad vibe and you're drunk, you think crazy thoughts.I imagine we all felt the same way about the other 4th down catch in 03. Much more devastating then the owens catch cuz firstoutoftheleague freddy did it.

LEWCWA
06-24-2006, 03:22 AM
I'm not so sure Newsome didn't pick that pass off b4 the td either. This is my single worst Packer moment of all time! Even worse than 4th and 26, cause we still had a chance after the play, Owens catch was at the end!

woodbuck27
06-24-2006, 08:31 AM
"I'm not so sure Newsome didn't pick that pass off b4 the td either." LEWCWA

That was sure a close call and the wise guys 'the film crew' didn't review that as much, as the bobble by the Officials on Rice's obvious fumble and recovery by us.

Rice was well aware that he fumbled but made a quick recovery to turn back towards where the huddle would be for the next play. The wise fox.

woodbuck27
06-24-2006, 12:09 PM

No, on second review of the video, that wasn't a pick . . as the ball did touch the ground before Newsome got possession of it.

woodbuck27
06-24-2006, 12:27 PM
GAME STORY

SAN FRANCISCO, Jan. 3 (UPI) - A 26-yard touchdown pass from Steve Young to Terrell Owens with three seconds remaining Sunday, coming four plays after game officials missed a fumble by Jerry Rice, allowed San Francisco to advance in the playoffs with a controversial 30-27 victory over the Green Bay Packers.

Young drove the 49ers 76 yards in nine plays over the span of 113 seconds to produce the touchdown that will send San Francisco to Atlanta for the first game of the NFL's divisional round next Saturday.

San Francisco had lost its five previous games against Green Bay and had been knocked out of the playoffs by the Packers in each of the last three seasons. And Green Bay appeared ready to extend its hex over the 49ers despite turning the ball over four times.

Green Bay's Brett Favre bounced back from two second-half interceptions to drive the Packers 89 yards and hit Antonio Freeman with a 15-yard touchdown throw on the first play after the two-minute warning for a 27-23 lead.

That, however, gave time to Young, who completed seven of his nine passes on the winning drive and connected with Owens on a rocket over the middle for the victory.

Owens, who caught the ball just inside the goal line in the midst of a nest of Green Bay defenders, made up for a poor day in which he fumbled on the third play of the game and dropped a pass at the Green Bay 29 with 4:24 to play that could have led to a clinching score.

The winning pass from Young to Owens, however, will be linked with the missed call moments earlier that will only add to the demands for a return of instant replay.

With 46 seconds remaining and the ball at the Green Bay 47, Young hit Rice over the middle for what was the superstar receiver's only catch of the day. Rice was then hit by lienbacker Bernardo Harris and replays showed the ball clearly leaving Rice's grasp well before either of his knees touched the ground.

The wild finish was fitting for a game that included seven turnovers, saw San Francisco come from behind three times and in which neither team held more than a four-point lead.

The Packers had a 17-10 advantage at halftime, scoring on Ryan Longwell's 23-yard field goal after Stokes fumbled at midfield, a two- yard throw from Favre to Antonio Freeman and a two-yard run by Dorsey Levens.

The Levens touchdown came with 31 seconds left in the half after Young was intercepted by linebacker George Koonce deep in the Packers' end of the field and following 30 yards in penalties on San Francisco for roughing the passer and unsportsmanlike conduct.

San Francisco managed first half points on a one-yard throw from Young to tight end Greg Clarke, three plays after Levens fumbled the ball away at his own 20, and on Wade Richey's 34-yard field goal.

An interception by San Francisco's Lee Woodall early in the third quarter led to an eight-yard Young-to-Clark touchdown that tied it and San Francisco took its first lead of the day with 2:12 to play in the third on Richey's 48-yard field goal.

Green Bay then drove to a tying field goal of 37 yards, after which San Francisco marched 55 yards to a go-ahead field goal of 40 yards by Richey with 6:13 to play in the game.

Copyright 1998 by United Press International

Bossman641
06-24-2006, 01:03 PM
Every couple of months I'll see them replay this game on ESPN. I have no idea why, but I watch it every time. This game hurts more than any other IMO. To this day I'm still furious about the blown fumble call. That Edwards play at the 1:00 mark was a pretty important play. He should have been stopped for a 5 yard loss, instead he picked up a 3 yard gain.

The ending is what everyone will remember but it wasn't a very well played game. Loads of turnovers and Favre had a couple boneheaded throws that resulted in picks, one a floater down the right sideline into double coverage to the TE I believe.

HarveyWallbangers
06-24-2006, 01:32 PM
Every couple of months I'll see them replay this game on ESPN. I have no idea why, but I watch it every time. This game hurts more than any other IMO. To this day I'm still furious about the blown fumble call. That Edwards play at the 1:00 mark was a pretty important play. He should have been stopped for a 5 yard loss, instead he picked up a 3 yard gain.

The ending is what everyone will remember but it wasn't a very well played game. Loads of turnovers and Favre had a couple boneheaded throws that resulted in picks, one a floater down the right sideline into double coverage to the TE I believe.

I was talking to a buddy about this game. We both agreed it was the most painful loss we have gone through. That or the Super Bowl loss. It signalled the end of an era.

I wouldn't put that on Favre too much, he threw for 295 yards and 2 TDs and engineered what should have been the game winning drive. I believe one of the interceptions was kind of a fluke thing. I don't think he had a bad game, so I'd like not to see fuel added to that fire.

It did seem to signal the end to Favre's postseason success though. Up to that game, he was 9-4 in the postseason with 23 TDs and 10 interceptions. Since that game, he is 2-4 with 9 TDs and 14 interceptions. Of course, the team around him hasn't been as good. Overall, 11-8 in the postseason is good. He now has 32 TDs and 24 interceptions in 19 postseason games. Of course, he had 6 in one game and 4 in another. 11-6 with 30 TDs and 14 interceptions in the other 17 games would look much better. You play long enough, you are bound to have some stinkers, I guess.

Bossman641
06-24-2006, 02:00 PM

I wouldn't put that on Favre too much, he threw for 295 yards and 2 TDs and engineered what should have been the game winning drive. I believe one of the interceptions was kind of a fluke thing. I don't think he had a bad game, so I'd like not to see fuel added to that fire.

Oh I'm not saying Favre lost the game or anything. It was just a ugly game in general. 4 turnovers for the Pack, 3 for the 49ers. Roell Preston fumbled away a punt at the 18 yard line. Favre had 2 INT's. On the first drive of the second half Favre threw a pick on 3rd and 21 that was returned deep into GB territory and resulted in a TD. The second pick came with around 5 minutes left on first down when Favre made a terrible pass down the right sideline to a double-teamed Tyrone Davis that was picked.

Patler
06-24-2006, 02:42 PM

No, on second review of the video, that wasn't a pick . . as the ball did touch the ground before Newsome got possession of it.

No, he didn't intercept it, but it could also have been ruled offensive pass interference. Watch the first angle of the slow motion replay. Newsome was in perfect position, went up to intercept, and drops the interception because the receiver (Stokes/) grabs his helmet with both hands (from the sides, not facemask) and pulls his head back as he tries to intercept.

Partial
06-24-2006, 02:54 PM
If theres one thing football fans can learn from this, its how important the DEs are. Look at Reggie and the 3 man rush collasping that pocket play after play taking away half of Youngs options. Man alive, those DEs appear to put twice the amount of pressure that ours do!!

woodbuck27
06-24-2006, 04:14 PM
"No, he didn't intercept it, but it could also have been ruled offensive pass interference. Watch the first angle of the slow motion replay. Newsome was in perfect position, went up to intercept, and drops the interception because the receiver (Stokes/) grabs his helmet with both hands (from the sides, not facemask) and pulls his head back as he tries to intercept." shamrockfan

Actually that was, offensive pass interference, as JJ Stokes as clearly shown in replay, shoves Newsome with his left hand to the back of the helmut and right hand to Newsome's back. A definite two handed shove. Yet the ball was pouncing out of and away from Newsome, so that shove helped propel him to and under the ball.

Sadly it touched the ground took a short bounce (those officials got that one right, LOL) into his outstretched hands.

Man this stuff is hard to see without replay. Good thing this game 'helped introduce' that element to the game, if nothing else for us. :mrgreen:

FritzDontBlitz
06-24-2006, 10:08 PM
i still think the 1st down for philly on 4th and 26th is the all-time worst defensive play in packers history. in both instances they elected to drop a ton of defenders into "coverage" but let the pass be completed anyway.

that's why i always prefer pressuring the passer to thinking you can shadow receivers all over the field: no matter how many you drop into coverage someone will come open eventually if the qb is allowed to sit there all day.

but hey, that's probably just the ex-linebacker in me speaking....

Packers4Ever
06-24-2006, 10:54 PM
I remember that game too well, it's painful to recall each time. Let's hope

we don't suffer through very many similar plays this year.

Anyway I didn't want to butt in while you all were sharing what you

remembered, but I have a question pertaining to the youtube.com that

Woody kindly furnished. The game popped right onto my screen, but

all I got was 3 seconds of game play followed by about 10 seconds of

silence, alternating with 3 seconds of play. What does this mean, I don't

think it's my computer. Anybody have an idea?

Thanks!

woodbuck27
06-25-2006, 08:17 AM
"i still think the 1st down for philly on 4th and 26th is the all-time worst defensive play in packers history. in both instances they elected to drop a ton of defenders into "coverage" but let the pass be completed anyway." FritzDontBlitz

I think that Mike Sherman might agree with you? You are right force pressure from the line of scrimmage and leave the nickel to cover the pass receivers. Heat on the QB is what we needed on that ocassion.Instead it seemed that McNabb had forever. . . . . . to set up for a perfect strike down the middle to Freddy Mitchell, with OUR fella just one step away fr. tipping the pass.

4-26 is lights out. . . .that game was, as I saw it, 'in the bag' and we simply BLEW IT with a poor defensive alignment giving them too much as options, and that. . . . certainly led to the outcome. . .

NOT being able to defend 4-26 (come on !!!!!) . . . cost us the game.

woodbuck27
06-25-2006, 08:25 AM
" The game popped right onto my screen, but

think it's my computer. Anybody have an idea? " Packers4Ever

I think I've seen this happen before but it was only momentary. I've watched this clip of video over and over and over to see what I can learn and it's played perfectly in all respects.

Try it again Packers4Ever, as I certainly don't have 'a state of the art computer' and YouTube video always works for me - often the quality sucks but this bit of OUR History is showing v.good in this link.

Packers4Ever
06-25-2006, 02:52 PM

I think I've seen this happen before but it was only momentary. I've watched this clip of video over and over and over to see what I can learn and it's played perfectly in all respects.

Try it again Packers4Ever, as I certainly don't have 'a state of the art computer' and YouTube video always works for me - often the quality sucks but this bit of OUR History is showing v.good in this link.

Thanks for your input, Woodbuck, I'll keep trying til it gets it right, sure

would love ( maybe ?? ) to see these plays.

woodbuck27
06-25-2006, 10:46 PM

Thanks for your input, Woodbuck, I'll keep trying til it gets it right, sure

would love ( maybe ?? ) to see these plays.

Give it loads of time to download Packers4Ever, as I have experienced that as well on YouTube but in time the video played fine.

Packers4Ever
06-26-2006, 12:05 PM
Why didn't I think of that?? Got a Windows XP 3 yrs old and a great

machine but at times it wants to s l o w down some. I'll be sure to

give it plenty of time, many thanks again, Woodbuck! :smile:

Pack0514
06-27-2006, 10:31 AM
Here is the one that was stolen from us. Many of you watched it live on TV. Also this was Reggie White's last game.

It was Jan.3,1999.

With 1:47 left on the clock and all three time outs. Steve Young and the 49ers engineered a 76 yard drive, capped off with a 25 yard touchdown pass to Terrell Owens with three seconds on the clock, to shock us out of the playoff's. That was the day I came to know T.O.

You'll see the anxiety on Brett Favre's face as he watch's this incredible drama unfold, from the sidelines.

The Officials blew this one for us, as clearly you will see Jerry Rice fumble with about 40 seconds on the clock, ( stripped by #55 Harris tackling and #43 McGarrahan got his right hand on the ball and popped it out ). This was Rice's only declared catch of the game.

That allowed the drive to continue as we should have taken over possession with 27 seconds remaining on the clock.

If you want to see a brutal bit of OUR recent history. . . your warned. Still there is alot to see and learn from this video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4Bw92WM03vI&mode=related&search=Terrell%20Owens

Wow, I remember that catch to end the game and seal the 49ers win but I completely forgot about the entire drive and everything that went on with it..... like the Rice fumble and Newsome potential interception.

Pack0514
06-27-2006, 10:33 AM
Oh, one more thing. That was an awesome three man pass rush. We probably could get that close to the quarterback with bringing four DL and a LB these days. Sheese!