PDA

View Full Version : Tracy White cut - Danny Lansanah signed.

Patler
10-07-2008, 05:40 PM
Happened today. Leads me to believe that Hawk is hurt worse than thought, and someone else in the LB corp is also hurting. No reason for Lansanah otherwise, unless he had another offer from another team.

Harlan Huckleby
10-07-2008, 06:17 PM
Lansanah looked really good in preseason, maybe they simply like him better based on White's showing.

Joemailman
10-07-2008, 06:20 PM
Lansanah showed some pass rush ability in the preseason. That may be the reason he's being activated.

Patler
10-07-2008, 06:30 PM
Lansanah showed some pass rush ability in the preseason. That may be the reason he's being activated.

I was wondering about that. I looked to see if there were any reports about him as a pass rusher, but found nothing.

Patler
10-07-2008, 06:34 PM
Lansanah looked really good in preseason, maybe they simply like him better based on White's showing.

I'm sure they do like Lansanah better as a linebacker, and did even in the preseason. White isn't on the team to play linebacker, just special teams. Leads me to believe either:

-White is too beat up after too many years on special teams at a relatively small size, and isn't what he was on special teams, thus no longer providing value to the team; or

-The Packers feel that they need a real 6th linebacker due to Hawk's injury and maybe another. Chiller was a bit dinged up a week ago or so.

Iron Mike
10-07-2008, 06:54 PM
Go Lasagna!!! 8-)

KYPack
10-07-2008, 08:00 PM
White hasn't been his usual ST savage self lately, tis true. I'm surprised to see him cut, tho. I was hoping we'd stash both Lasagna and Hodge. Those kids can bring it.

Chillar is funny. Sometimes he looks real good, then he disappears. Hawk is hurt, he normally would've picked that ball Sunday.

rbaloha1
10-07-2008, 08:58 PM
DL looked good in preseason. Still wish Hodge was kept.

Trust TT is making the correct personnel decision.

pack4to84
10-08-2008, 04:50 AM
The 6-foot-0½, 248-pound Lansanah impressed as a hard hitter and pass rusher in August before being cut Aug. 30 and signed to the practice squad the next day. In four games, he had nine tackles from scrimmage and one on special teams. from Jsonline.com
That face mask penalty hurt his chances back then.

Shoal
10-08-2008, 06:07 AM
JSonline also mentioned that the Miami Dolphins were planning to take Lansanah from our practice squad.

steve823
10-08-2008, 02:08 PM
JSonline also mentioned that the Miami Dolphins were planning to take Lansanah from our practice squad.

Dam I'm starting to hate the Dolphins. Those bastards took or great TE prospect and are bottomfeeding off our team.

SnakeLH2006
10-10-2008, 02:42 AM
Lasagna always looks good. Italian food all day. Oh...This shit is meaningless. TT is trying to wrap up future talent vs. the shitty year thus far. White is better now, but Lasagna is always good. Meaningless to wins/losses this year though. Lasagna will total 10 tackles all on ST. You have jumped the shark Patler. Let the noobs pass you by. This will have absolutely no effect on this season.

Patler
10-10-2008, 06:39 AM
Lasagna always looks good. Italian food all day. Oh...This shit is meaningless. TT is trying to wrap up future talent vs. the shitty year thus far. White is better now, but Lasagna is always good. Meaningless to wins/losses this year though. Lasagna will total 10 tackles all on ST. You have jumped the shark Patler. Let the noobs pass you by. This will have absolutely no effect on this season.

If you don't realize the importance of special teams in wins/losses I think you are missing a significant part of the game. Special teams has already had the opportunity to step up and make an impact this season, and has had its share of failure.

Tracy White has been the acknowledged leader on special teams for several years, even when he wasn't the statistical leader. Several years ago it was unquestioned that he would make the team, in spite of the fact he was almost useless from scrimmage as a linebacker. He was that good on kick coverage. Unfortunately, at the time the Packers didn't have other good players to go with him on ST. It was interesting to me that he almost didn't make the final roster this year, it indicated to me that his ST play was down. This confirms it, because a 6th linebacker is on the team for one of two reasons, exceptional ST play (like White has been) or because two other linebackers are injured. No one intends to play their 6th linebacker on defense if they can help it. I don't think Lansanah will be anything special on ST, but apparently White no longer is either. I do think there might be concern about Hawk's health, which makes the 6th linebackers play as a linebacker more important.

Fritz
10-10-2008, 07:06 AM
Let the noobs pass Patler by? What, Snake, so we can have more ranting, logic-less posts? No thanks.

This whole theme that TT is unconcerned with the present and is always and only thinking of some vague "future" was, I hoped, put to bed after last season's success.

But according to your line of thinking, TT, after seeing a 13-3 season end in a loss to the Giants, decided after five games thus far the rest of the season is lost - it's too late, this team will not make the playoffs. Or if, you like instead, TT doesn't care whether this year's team can make the playoffs because he only cares about getting more draft picks and in this vague "future." So he cuts a great ST player and signs Lansanah.

When you compare that to Patler's reasoning, which if I am reading correctly suggests that Lansanah was promoted and White was cut was likely due to two factors: White's declining ST play and the Dolphins' sniffing around a promising young practice squad linebacker - when you compare your theory to Patler's, I'm afraid Patler's makes a whole lot more sense. A whole, whole lot more.

Fritz
10-10-2008, 07:08 AM
Lasagna always looks good. Italian food all day. Oh...This shit is meaningless. TT is trying to wrap up future talent vs. the shitty year thus far. White is better now, but Lasagna is always good. Meaningless to wins/losses this year though. Lasagna will total 10 tackles all on ST. You have jumped the shark, Patler. Let the noobs pass you by. This will have absolutely no effect on this season.

Just a quick FYI, Shark: the phrase "jump the shark" has, well, jumped the shark.

Fritz
10-10-2008, 07:09 AM
Lasagna always looks good. Italian food all day. Oh...This shit is meaningless. TT is trying to wrap up future talent vs. the shitty year thus far. White is better now, but Lasagna is always good. Meaningless to wins/losses this year though. Lasagna will total 10 tackles all on ST. You have jumped the shark, Patler. Let the noobs pass you by. This will have absolutely no effect on this season.

Just a quick FYI, Shark: the phrase "jump the shark" has, well, jumped the shark.

ahaha
10-10-2008, 07:48 AM
Is it possible this guy could play DE in a pinch? The Packers have 3 DT's (Pickett, Jolly, Cole) and only 3 DE's healthy for this week (Thompson, Kampman, and KGB). That D-line is looking a little thin.

Patler
10-10-2008, 08:16 AM
Is it possible this guy could play DE in a pinch? The Packers have 3 DT's (Pickett, Jolly, Cole) and only 3 DE's healthy for this week (Thompson, Kampman, and KGB). That D-line is looking a little thin.

I have wondered if they might look at him as a DE in passing situations. KGB is accomplishing nothing this year. Thompson isn't ready to make an impact. Poppinga has been tried in the past and was not effective as a pass rush DE. They need someone opposite Kampman. Maybe they will try Lansanah at it.

run pMc
10-10-2008, 10:04 AM
I think they'd try Pettway at DE before Lansanah for passrush. For blitzing LB's, I'd think they could send Poppinga or Chillar until Hawk heals up. I'd actually be curious to see Collins come on a S blitz instead of sending a gimpy Hawk.

If White's ST play has dropped off, bringing in a new guy might help. It's a gamble IMO, but I haven't been looking for White to see how he plays on ST. I agree ST's are important...GB won a couple of games last year (and arguably the MIN game this year) because of ST's.

KYPack
10-10-2008, 10:04 AM
Well Snake,

Lemme make it unanimous.

Your alligator mouth just overloaded your polliwog ass.

Knocking Patler on this forum is about like tripping Santa when he comes in the room with a sackful of presents.

It's juvenile, stupid, and worse, not funny.

oregonpackfan
10-10-2008, 10:36 AM
Well Snake,

Lemme make it unanimous.

Your alligator mouth just overloaded your polliwog ass.

Knocking Patler on this forum is about like tripping Santa when he comes in the room with a sackful of presents.

It's juvenile, stupid, and worse, not funny.

I would like to add that Patler is one of the more authoritative, insightful posters on this forum.

mraynrand
10-10-2008, 10:49 AM

If you don't realize the importance of special teams in wins/losses I think you are missing a significant part of the game. Special teams has already had the opportunity to step up and make an impact this season, and has had its share of failure.

Tracy White has been the acknowledged leader on special teams for several years, even when he wasn't the statistical leader. Several years ago it was unquestioned that he would make the team, in spite of the fact he was almost useless from scrimmage as a linebacker. He was that good on kick coverage. Unfortunately, at the time the Packers didn't have other good players to go with him on ST. It was interesting to me that he almost didn't make the final roster this year, it indicated to me that his ST play was down. This confirms it, because a 6th linebacker is on the team for one of two reasons, exceptional ST play (like White has been) or because two other linebackers are injured. No one intends to play their 6th linebacker on defense if they can help it. I don't think Lansanah will be anything special on ST, but apparently White no longer is either. I do think there might be concern about Hawk's health, which makes the 6th linebackers play as a linebacker more important.

Good Post. Bush made the roster for the same reason - he can play teams. So did Marcus Wilson back in the 90s - lights out on teams, but didn't really touch the field otherwise. Lee was on the field ahead of Bush against ATL - that tells you something. And, from watching preseason, there is some good stuff there from Lasagna both on teams and as a LB. But let's not get carried away. This is a move on the fringe of the team. I'll eat my computer if Lasagna comes in a changes the defensive profile of the team this year.