PDA

View Full Version : How significant is the 2-3 start?

Patler
10-07-2008, 05:59 PM
In 2007:

The Giants started 0-2.
San Diego 1-3
Seattle was 3-3 then 4-4

All made the playoffs.

MTPackerfan
10-07-2008, 06:06 PM
In 2007:

The Giants started 0-2.
San Diego 1-3
Seattle was 3-3 then 4-4

All made the playoffs.

it is certainly not insurmountable as long as our overall play improves. We need to get pad levels lower and handle gap spacing correctly. :D

Rastak
10-07-2008, 06:10 PM
In 2007:

The Giants started 0-2.
San Diego 1-3
Seattle was 3-3 then 4-4

All made the playoffs.

So you are suggesting the Vikes have a good shot? :wink:

Tyrone Bigguns
10-07-2008, 06:11 PM
What's that? Uh -- Playoffs? Don't talk about -- playoffs? You kidding me? Playoffs? I just hope we can win a game!

Patler
10-07-2008, 06:12 PM
In 2007:

The Giants started 0-2.
San Diego 1-3
Seattle was 3-3 then 4-4

All made the playoffs.

Have they dumped Childress??? :lol: :lol:

Rastak
10-07-2008, 06:12 PM
In 2007:

The Giants started 0-2.
San Diego 1-3
Seattle was 3-3 then 4-4

All made the playoffs.

Have they dumped Childress??? :lol: :lol:

Thanks for raining on my parade Patler!

Fosco33
10-07-2008, 06:42 PM
In '03, Pack was 3-4 and went to playoffs.

In '04, Pack was 1-4 and went to playoffs.

Note - we also started 1-4 in '05 and '06....

Apparently we don't like to start 'hot' very often.

Chill

texaspackerbacker
10-07-2008, 06:56 PM
There are a lot of teams that were expected to be outstanding this season that have been disappointments. Some like New England and to a lesser extent, Indy, the reason is obvious; Others like Dallas, Philadelphia, Jacksonville, San Diego, Cleveland, maybe Minnesota, maybe Seattle, etc., the reasons are not so clear.

Most of the good teams snap out of it most of the time. I see no reason why the Packers shouldn't do that.

Scott Campbell
10-07-2008, 07:05 PM
In 2007:

The Giants started 0-2.
San Diego 1-3
Seattle was 3-3 then 4-4

All made the playoffs.

We have to go 8-3 just to finish at 10-6. And were not playing like we can go 8-3. So I think it's pretty significant, and we'll miss the playoffs.

Fosco33
10-07-2008, 07:20 PM
Remaining schedule:

@ SEA - L/W
IND - L
@ TEN - L
@ MIN - L
CHI - W
@ NO - L/W
CAR - W
HOU - W
@ JAC - L/W
@ CHI - L
DET - W

4 games we 'should' win and 4 we 'should' lose.
The 3 games that will be our swing are the road games (SEA, NO, JAC) if all the others go to plan.

7-4 if we play lights out (9-7 overall).... might be good enough in NFCN.

rbaloha1
10-07-2008, 09:04 PM
Its important.

Team is not playing to its capabilities. Defense is missing key players. Rookie qb.

The unknowns create much doubt if we are able to make the playoffs.

Joemailman
10-07-2008, 10:06 PM
2-3 puts Pack 1 game out of first with 11 to go, so the record isn't terribly significant. What is significant is that the Pack can't stop anyone from running the ball. If the record is to improve, the run defense must improve.

Patler
10-07-2008, 10:40 PM
2-3 puts Pack 1 game out of first with 11 to go, so the record isn't terribly significant. What is significant is that the Pack can't stop anyone from running the ball. If the record is to improve, the run defense must improve.

Against the run, Montgomery and Thompson looked like KGB did a couple years ago, before Jenkins was moved out to end. Teams will soon realize they can get 5 yards anytime they need it by running to that side.

pbmax
10-08-2008, 09:32 AM
Against the run, Montgomery and Thompson looked like KGB did a couple years ago, before Jenkins was moved out to end. Teams will soon realize they can get 5 yards anytime they need it by running to that side.
Those plays to the outside right were available even when Jenkins was healthy, on 3rd down when he moved inside to rush the passer. It has happened since, where they are outside the tackle and face only the TE and STILL can't get off the block to hold the corner and make the back go laterally or cut back.

Now that they are playing 1st and 2nd, Patler is right and we might end up needing to over-commit to just stop that play.

2-3 is not a death sentence. But a win streak is needed now. Improvement is needed soon.

Patler
10-08-2008, 10:07 AM
Those plays to the outside right were available even when Jenkins was healthy, on 3rd down when he moved inside to rush the passer. It has happened since, where they are outside the tackle and face only the TE and STILL can't get off the block to hold the corner and make the back go laterally or cut back.

Now that they are playing 1st and 2nd, Patler is right and we might end up needing to over-commit to just stop that play.

2-3 is not a death sentence. But a win streak is needed now. Improvement is needed soon.

I was told the following, which gives me some hope:

Whereas two years ago the coaches realized that KGB simply can no longer hold up against the run, and is basically incapable against running plays at him, they do not have the same concerns with Montgomery. Montgomery just does wrong things. No coaching would ever help KGB, he just can't do it. They feel Montgomery will be adequate if they can just get through to him, and its not that he is dumb or uncoachable, just too anxious to make plays rather than maintain his responsibilities.

So they seem to have Montgomery who is too anxious and too aggressive, and Thompson who they say is too analytical and tentative. They need to blend the two!

TravisWilliams23
10-08-2008, 11:30 AM
The positive is they are 2-0 vs division foes. Winning the North will be the only way they make the playoffs this year.

Unless the coaches can quickly turn around the sloppy play and missed assignments the chances of playoffs are nil.

With Clifton slipping badly this year, now might be a good time to start the line of the future. It's the same thing with getting Rodgers to start, you have to see what you have before you can improve or change it. Right now, the offensive line isn't getting the job done. Try something different.

Defensively, I understand the injury problems but the replacements just can't keep screwing up coverages no discipline in guarding their assigned lanes. It's either coaching or the players just aren't good enough. I really wanted TT to go after Greg Williams last off season because I don't think Sanders is getting the job done.

I was singing MM's praises before and now we get to see if he is the coach a lot of us thought he was. Maybe we don't make the playoffs. I can live with that but if the team doesn't show improvement I will be greatly disappointed.

Tony Oday
10-08-2008, 11:37 AM
I think we really just need to gel a bit.

Remember last years 13-3 season what the first 3 or 4 games we won kind of on luck! :) hehe

As long as we can stop an RB...which who knows...we could actually have a good week this week.

SnakeLH2006
10-10-2008, 02:47 AM
In our division..this is meaningless. No one wants to start 2-3, yet we may have the weakest division in the NFL. The only downside thus far is that we MUST win the NFC North as the NFC East is beastin' thus far so no wild card for us.