PDA

View Full Version : Return of the running game with Hall?

Spaulding
10-10-2008, 09:50 AM
Just a casual observation but I wonder if part of our running game woes are a potentially pinned to Korey Hall having been out?

I know Grant's hammy has been an issue as has some of the inconsistent line play but wonder if the upgrade of Hall coming back over Kuhn might not inject some life into the run game.

BF4MVP
10-10-2008, 09:57 AM
Hall was the starter for a reason (although Kuhn isn't terrible). It couldn't hurt..

cheesner
10-10-2008, 10:01 AM
Just a casual observation but I wonder if part of our running game woes are a potentially pinned to Korey Hall having been out?

I know Grant's hammy has been an issue as has some of the inconsistent line play but wonder if the upgrade of Hall coming back over Kuhn might not inject some life into the run game.We have nearly the same line as last year when Grant did very well. Grant overcoming his injury is probably more of the issue. There is no reason not to be having the same success as the end of last season.

RashanGary
10-10-2008, 10:04 AM
I think it's more likely to help our special teams by getting rid of (probably Finley) and adding Hall, who is one of our best STers.

McCarthy finally seems serious about the running game though. It might finally start coming around. We'll see.

Noodle
10-10-2008, 10:04 AM
Good point. I think when your line is a marginal as ours, and your RB is a little gimpy, every little thing matters. Hall is pretty damn good at clearing out the trash and creating a seam.

Patler
10-10-2008, 10:28 AM
Kuhn was playing more and more snaps toward the end of last season, and I kind of thought they were a toss-up at FB, with Kuhn being a bit bigger. I didn't think it would matter much having Kuhn instead of Hall. But since Hall went out and Kuhn has stepped in I have heard several sports writers, including Wayne Larivee just yesterday or the day before, mention that Kuhn has been no where near as good as Hall had been. He said Kuhn as been moving no one. Getting Hall back indeed might help.

Fosco33
10-10-2008, 10:30 AM
I mentioned this same thing a few weeks ago - I expect the running game to improve with Hall and more consistency in the Oline positions.

CaliforniaCheez
10-10-2008, 06:31 PM
The nice thing is running that wishbone with two FB's and an RB. The Defense doesn't know which side of the line the run will be. That play was run successfully a few times a game.

Now it is not used until Hall returns.

Hall catches the ball better than Kuhn. That can cause an LB to pause a bit on a draw or a pass formation.

Jenkins, Harris, Hall, Bigby, it is only 18% of the starting line up that is out unless you now add Clifton.

Those playing injured really hurts the team's play. Woodson, Pickett, Hawk, Barnett, Grant,

Fortunately Rodgers played well enough while hurt.

Gunakor
10-10-2008, 06:49 PM
I think it's more likely to help our special teams by getting rid of (probably Finley) and adding Hall, who is one of our best STers.

McCarthy finally seems serious about the running game though. It might finally start coming around. We'll see.

They won't get rid of Finley. They didn't keep him on the roster because they thought he could fill in at FB - the guy can't block. They kept him because he's got the speed, hands, and athletisism they are looking for in a TE.

Gunakor
10-10-2008, 06:54 PM
The nice thing is running that wishbone with two FB's and an RB. The Defense doesn't know which side of the line the run will be. That play was run successfully a few times a game.

Now it is not used until Hall returns.

Hall catches the ball better than Kuhn. That can cause an LB to pause a bit on a draw or a pass formation.

Jenkins, Harris, Hall, Bigby, it is only 18% of the starting line up that is out unless you now add Clifton.

Those playing injured really hurts the team's play. Woodson, Pickett, Hawk, Barnett, Grant,

Fortunately Rodgers played well enough while hurt.

Woodson played well enough while hurt too. Pickett might not be playing if we had more healthy DT's on the roster, but as is behind him and Jolly is only one healthy DT. Justin Harrell returning will give him more of a breather. Grant is getting healthier, and you could see it last Sunday. Hawk and Barnett are the ones I'd single out here as being ones hurting the team by playing through injury, but there is only one reliable backup for those 2 positions. And if it were my choice, Bishop would be playing MLB until Barnett is completely healthy. Hawk at 80% is still better than Chillar at 100%, so I'd leave him in there unless his injury got worse.

Patler
10-10-2008, 07:09 PM

They won't get rid of Finley. They didn't keep him on the roster because they thought he could fill in at FB - the guy can't block. They kept him because he's got the speed, hands, and athletisism they are looking for in a TE.

I think he meant it will get Finley off STs, and it should. He has been quite bad on STs. If both FBs are again healthy, Finley is likely to be inactive on game days. They have had 3 TEs active because they were down to one FB, mostly.

Gunakor
10-10-2008, 07:11 PM

I think he meant it will get Finley off STs, and it should. He has been quite bad on STs. If both FBs are again healthy, Finley is likely to be inactive on game days. They have had 3 TEs active because they were down to one FB, mostly.

Ah, sorry I misunderstood then. I thought he meant releasing Finley completely to make a roster spot for Hall's return.