PDA

View Full Version : First 5 games '07 vs. '08 (Favre v Rodgers)

Fosco33
10-10-2008, 09:01 PM
2007 Offensive NFL Ranks (Favre as QB)
6th in yards/play with 5.7

12th in 3rd down conversions at 44%

16th in time of possession/game at 30min 22seconds

8th with 25 points/game

2008 Offensive NFL Ranks (Rodgers as QB)
6th in yards/play with 5.7 (same stat and rank)

9th in 3rd down conversions at 42% (2% points less but 3 ranks higher)

16th in time of possession/game at 29min 08seconds (same rank; 1min, 14 seconds less)

8th with 26.6 points/game (same rank; 1.6 pts/game more - but more defensive and ST scores)

I was pretty surprised how very similar the stats AND rankings were for these two years... I know the defense has scored more points than last year and scoring more points is really the difference for the Packers. Is that mostly Favre's influence?

pbmax
10-10-2008, 09:08 PM
Please do not post the defense's numbers. I can guess.

PackerTimer
10-10-2008, 10:21 PM
Just goes to show you how silly it is people to blame Aaron Rodgers, Ryan Grant, the offensive line, and TT for not being able to put a quality offensive line out there. (although it should be pointed out that our defense has scored three touchdowns)

The drastic difference on this team this year is on the defensive side of the ball, which coincidentally is suffering from numerous major injuries. I certainly hope we can get healthy. I just don't think we are seeing how good this team can be right now.

Partial
10-10-2008, 10:24 PM
Stats don't tell the story. Our offense was more of a threat last year imo. They're still pretty good and Aaron has exceeded my wildest expectations.

cheesner
10-11-2008, 12:32 AM
Stats don't tell the story. Our offense was more of a threat last year imo. They're still pretty good and Aaron has exceeded my wildest expectations.Not early in the season. IIRC the offense stunk pretty bad the first few games - the defense and in the case of Philly, special teams, carried us.

It wasn't till Grant emerged in week 7 or so that the offense started to really be good.

ND72
10-11-2008, 08:15 AM
Stats don't tell the story. Our offense was more of a threat last year imo. They're still pretty good and Aaron has exceeded my wildest expectations.

False.

Our offense is more of a threat because of the fact our running game is bound to break through at some point, and has done an "OK" job. At this point last year, we had NO running game to speak of, and relied completely on Favre. Yes, we are putting a lot of hope on Rodgers, but our offense, I think, is more of a threat this year than last year. IF our defense didn't blow nuts right now, it'd be a different season, IMO. Plus, this would be a good time for me to say that I've said for over a year, this is what I expected of Aaron Rodgers.

pbmax
10-11-2008, 09:38 AM

False.

Our offense is more of a threat because of the fact our running game is bound to break through at some point, and has done an "OK" job. At this point last year, we had NO running game to speak of, and relied completely on Favre. Yes, we are putting a lot of hope on Rodgers, but our offense, I think, is more of a threat this year than last year. IF our defense didn't blow nuts right now, it'd be a different season, IMO. Plus, this would be a good time for me to say that I've said for over a year, this is what I expected of Aaron Rodgers.
I agree. We do exhibit the signs of a pass first offense: frequent three and outs and bad time of possession splits. This is somewhat at odds over what I have seen as better run blocking in places by the O Line, especially Colledge. But it is consistent with pass protection issues and penalties.

I think if the line gets its positions settled (a long shot if Clifton is out the next two weeks) this will improve and the O can take even more pressure off the D. As for the D, we have to hope that Bigby and Hawk get healthy while waiting for the D Line assistance I refuse to name so it won't be jinxed and hurt its back again.

Partial
10-11-2008, 10:21 AM

False.

We don't have a running game this year. At all. I'm simply not buying the argument. Our running game to this point is very similar to early in the season last year. Last year our running game put us ahead for good against the Giants with the big run by the Florida back.

I think we'll have problems running all year personally. Grant missing camp. Undersized OL. More men in the box, etc.

Scott Campbell
10-11-2008, 10:27 AM
We don't have a running game this year. At all.

You could have said the exact same thing through 5 games last year.

Partial
10-11-2008, 10:33 AM
We don't have a running game this year. At all.

You could have said the exact same thing through 5 games last year.

Agreed completely.

Fosco33
10-11-2008, 10:41 AM
I agree with many of your comments. I did mention initally that defense and special teams have scored more this year than last - which I think shows the primary offensive difference b/w two suprisingly similar teams (with or sans Favre).

Running game was poor/average. Took until mid-season to get where it needed to be the whole year.

Same age/youth/experience gaps and many unknowns at various positions.

You hope to grow yeay/year as you reshape/rebuild towards a dynasty... this shows we're flat or declining (eng of last yr vs. now).

retailguy
10-11-2008, 05:01 PM

False.

It's not false. The stats are very misleading. We had the ball almost 36 minutes during the Detroit game, this has skewed the stats. The only game we lost where we won the time of possession was Atlanta.

Look at points scored in the 4th quarter this season compared to last season. The defense is GASSED by the end of the game from the time they spent on the field in both Tampa and against Dallas.

Rodgers has played well, in spite of the problems of the offensive line. The Defense has no depth. The reasons why we are losing are pretty clear.

SnakeLH2006
10-12-2008, 02:29 AM

Well fuck ya our O was better last year. But our D is sickly. Hard to blame Arod has he has been ok with 95 rating, but I'd take Brett's 112 rating this point last year or his is 111 this year to get us through the hump...at least one more win. Dude's good. Fuck our Oline...but Brett would have given us slightly more points thus far methinks.

Pacopete4
10-12-2008, 02:35 AM

Well fuck ya our O was better last year. But our D is sickly. Hard to blame Arod has he has been ok with 95 rating, but I'd take Brett's 112 rating this point last year or his is 111 this year to get us through the hump...at least one more win. Dude's good. Fuck our Oline...but Brett would have given us slightly more points thus far methinks.

exaaaactly.. but then we'd be mortgaging the future! haha... its a win now, and we had that chance under our nose.... and now its gone... this year will be frustrating as hell but maybe, just maybe.... we'll make a smart move here or there and help out our less talented QB

SnakeLH2006
10-12-2008, 04:11 AM

exaaaactly.. but then we'd be mortgaging the future! haha... its a win now, and we had that chance under our nose.... and now its gone... this year will be frustrating as hell but maybe, just maybe.... we'll make a smart move here or there and help out our less talented QB

I do like you Paco...but I ain't fueling ya. Brett is uber-great...Arod is pretty good, but I'm not crossin that line. Yes we'd prob. be 3-2 with Favre this year, but our D is so shitty even God-Favre wouldn't have won much more.

GBRulz
10-12-2008, 11:12 AM
If I remember correctly, Jennings was injured and didn't play in the first 2-3 games last year and didn't really explode until after the bye week. Our running game was lackluster as well. Say what you want, but Favre was playing lights out football and a huge reason we had the start that we did.

I think Rodgers is doing great, much better than I expected actually, but I'm just saying that it's not as cut and dry as the stats say.

Scott Campbell
10-12-2008, 11:16 AM
If I remember correctly, Jennings was injured and didn't play in the first 2-3 games last year and didn't really explode until after the bye week. Our running game was lackluster as well. Say what you want, but Favre was playing lights out football and a huge reason we had the start that we did.

Agreed.

Pacopete4
10-12-2008, 11:45 AM

Agreed.

yep, Favre got this team rolling early and it caught on and they got real hot... our slow start this year does not help us at all

Patler
10-12-2008, 12:31 PM

Agreed.

yep, Favre got this team rolling early and it caught on and they got real hot... our slow start this year does not help us at all

You have to give credit to the defense and special teams too in a couple of the games.

Against Philadelphia, Tracy White recovered a muffed punt for a TD, and the defense made key stops in the second half. Crosby was 3/3 including the game winner at 0:57 after a fumbled punt recovery again by the special teams. Favre was 23/42, 206 yards, 0TDs, 1 interception, 1 fumble lost. He had 4 drives of 3 and out in the 4th qtr. This was a special teams and defense victory...and luck.

Against Washington, Favre was 19/37 for 188 yards, 0TDs, 2 interceptions. Woodson had a fumble recovery for a touchdown, the game winning score. Defense again played very well.

In the other three early season wins, Favre played lights out, especially siince there was little or no running game, and everyone knew the Packers would pass. However, the defense was playing much more effectively then than they are now. too.

Pugger
10-12-2008, 12:48 PM
It is an exercise in futility to compare this year and last. The situation the team is in now is entirely different than in 2007, and I'm not talking about Brett! Our D was a h3ll of lot healthier and was playing better overall. Because our back-ups weren't starting our special teams were much better too. :(