PDA

View Full Version : School Trip

ND72
10-11-2008, 08:28 AM
Thought I'd throw this little bit of cool news on here. Besides teaching Phys. Ed., I also teach an At-Risk class. Because of the status these students are in, most of them will #1, probably never graduate, #2, probably never leave Adams County, and #3, never have the opportunities I'm trying to get for them by way of trips.

So that being said, I decided to write a letter directly to Green Bay Packers President Mark Murphy, seeing if I could bring my kids over for a tour and a possible meeting, stressing the importance of education, drug&alcohol free, and what it means to be a good citizen.

Tuesday, Mark called me personally....of course he called my cell phone, and I was in school without my cell phone...but he left a message saying he'd love to do the tour and meeting.

By way of his secretary, we are going on November 6th for a Stadium tour, Hall of Fame tour, & a meeting with Mark Murphy in a private meeting room.

So obviously I'm pretty pumped for that, thought it'd be cool to share here.

MJZiggy
10-11-2008, 08:30 AM
Phenomenal. Wouldn't it be cool if he makes an impact!!

cpk1994
10-11-2008, 08:33 AM
Indeed very cool.

MadtownPacker
10-11-2008, 08:46 AM
Man thats super cool of him, great hustle ND!

Saw Murphy when we hit the Proshop after the game. He took the time to say hello and let me snap pic of him even after the shitty loss. Seems like a real nice guy.

Brando19
10-11-2008, 09:02 AM
That's awesome, ND! Educational, yet fun for a Packers fan as well. Looks like Murphy is the next Bob Harlan as far as public relations goes.

Scott Campbell
10-11-2008, 09:04 AM
How cool is that. It looks like Murph will continue with Harlan's accessibility tradition.

mraynrand
10-11-2008, 09:11 AM
That's great. As long as you're addressing at-risk issues - ask him how 'at-risk' he felt in the secondary when Dicky lit him up for 48 points in 1983!

pbmax
10-11-2008, 09:24 AM
That's great ND. Nice to know that they would do this for the group. And congratulations for the idea to you.

Rastak
10-11-2008, 09:26 AM
Very cool. I'm not surprised though, this is just the sort of thing a community team can do to help out the people that fund them. Very nice for the kids, not really that much work for the Packers yet it generates a ton of goodwill and might really help somebody with their life.

Scott Campbell
10-11-2008, 09:30 AM
......I also teach an At-Risk class.

So how does that work anyway? Do they call it an At-Risk class? And how do the kids react to being assigned to the class?

MJZiggy
10-11-2008, 09:33 AM
Very cool. I'm not surprised though, this is just the sort of thing a community team can do to help out the people that fund them. Very nice for the kids, not really that much work for the Packers yet it generates a ton of goodwill and might really help somebody with their life.

I wonder what they do in Cincy or Dallas???

Scott Campbell
10-11-2008, 09:35 AM
The kids could take a tour of the Vikings facility and take a class on boating safety. :D

MJZiggy
10-11-2008, 09:38 AM
The kids could take a tour of the Vikings facility and take a class on boating safety. :D

I love our team. Worst that's happened lately is a bout with cough syrup... Wait. Anyone have Jolly's number?

ND72
10-11-2008, 09:38 AM

So how does that work anyway? Do they call it an At-Risk class? And how do the kids react to being assigned to the class?

It's actually called Friendship ALIVE...Alterntive Learning Instructed Vocational Education(ALIVE). It's actually a "volunteer" class. When I say volunteer, I mean we pick the kids, but it's the parents right to say no to it. We do lots of different things though...go play bingo weekly with the elderly, go to the early childhood class at the elementary and create different games for the kids to play, hopefully going to humane society this year, and we also take a bunch of different job trips, in hopes that they will push the "stay in school" vibe, and create some "interest" in school by alternative schooling, through projects & research instead of me as a teacher standing in front and lecturing.

pbmax
10-11-2008, 09:43 AM

That's like a trip to the zoo where they scare the children with stories of what happens if you should find yourself in the room with Charles Haley or a polar bear.

Scott Campbell
10-11-2008, 10:07 AM

It's actually called Friendship ALIVE...Alterntive Learning Instructed Vocational Education(ALIVE). It's actually a "volunteer" class. When I say volunteer, I mean we pick the kids, but it's the parents right to say no to it. We do lots of different things though...go play bingo weekly with the elderly, go to the early childhood class at the elementary and create different games for the kids to play, hopefully going to humane society this year, and we also take a bunch of different job trips, in hopes that they will push the "stay in school" vibe, and create some "interest" in school by alternative schooling, through projects & research instead of me as a teacher standing in front and lecturing.

How do the kids react to being in the class? Do they comprehend that it's an at risk class?

Is it difficult building the curriculum?

Ballboy
10-11-2008, 10:43 AM
Yeah, they are very cool.

I'm going to Green Bay on Tuesday, having breakfeast in the atrium, then going to a Wildlife Preserve where Tony Moll(was to be Tracy White) will help do some work. Then we are going back to the atrium for lunch and then a "skills challenge" at the Don Hutson Center with Donald Lee. Then they are providing cocktail and food back at Lambeau

I know tuesday is a normal day off, but hopefully we will see a few injured players at the Hutson Center working a little.

Rastak
10-11-2008, 11:09 AM

I wonder if the James Lofton stairwell is on the tour?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

mraynrand
10-11-2008, 11:30 AM

'NFL experience' has a set-up called 'evading the Mossy Cade grope.'

DonHutson
10-11-2008, 12:14 PM
Murph probably just wants to see if any of your kids can punt or play D-line.

Scott Campbell
10-11-2008, 01:10 PM

The culmination of the Viking tour is when coach Childress auctions off his Superbowl tickets to the highest bidder.

pbmax
10-11-2008, 01:36 PM
ND, how much would it cost me to get a child to ask an impertinent question or two of Mr. Murphy? :lol:

Rastak
10-11-2008, 07:15 PM

The culmination of the Viking tour is when coach Childress auctions off his Superbowl tickets to the highest bidder.

After Lofton everybody gets to meet Ahman Green's wife....at the hospital....not sure who started dragging this feel good story into the mud....hmmmmmmm......
:shock:

cpk1994
10-11-2008, 07:31 PM

You forgot about the Braynt McKinnie fight classes.

Rastak
10-11-2008, 08:03 PM
Don't forget the Mark Chmura pool party where some of the kids get invited.

Fritz
10-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Hey, ND - good job. That's going the extra mile for those kids.

One question, though - is Derek Frost in your class? Cuz if he doesn't punt better on Sunday he's going to be at risk - of losing his job.

BZnDallas
10-11-2008, 10:28 PM

funny you ask that... i heard the other day that Jerry Jones took Adam 'Never a Packer-man' Jones to a local jr. high to help teach the kids this is how you want to act when you grow up... needless to say i was a bit shocked!... lol, j/k

Scott Campbell
10-11-2008, 11:40 PM

So what do the Vikings fill with when it comes time to show the kids all the Lombardi trophies?

:lol:

SnakeLH2006
10-12-2008, 12:25 AM

So what do the Vikings fill with when it comes time to show the kids all the Lombardi trophies?

:lol:

The boat mission was my favorite part of that game. :shock:

http://www.illegalprocedure.com/blog-images/gta-ticecity.png

mission
10-12-2008, 01:20 AM
ND -- That's awesome, definitely let us know how it goes along with pictures, stolen Favre memorability from the PHOF and all that good stuff ...