PDA

View Full Version : Tony Gonzalez on the Trading Block

Brando19
10-11-2008, 08:51 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/10/11/chiefs.gonzo.ap/index.html

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- Tony Gonzalez, the most productive tight end in NFL history, will be traded to a contender if the Kansas City Chiefs get the right price.

Three people familiar with the situation told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity that the nine-time Pro Bowl player could be dealt before the Tuesday trade deadline. The three didn't want to be identified because a deal hasn't been struck.

Gonzalez, who holds the NFL tight end record for receptions, touchdown catches and yards receiving, is active in civic and charitable affairs and enjoys great popularity in Kansas City. He has always said he would like to end his career with the Chiefs, who drafted him in the first round out of California in 1997.

But the Chiefs (1-4) are rebuilding from the bottom up and not likely to contend for the Super Bowl any time soon. In spite of all his personal accomplishments, Gonzalez, 32, has never even won a postseason game.

He would like an opportunity to play in a Super Bowl and the rebuilding Chiefs would like to acquire extra draft picks.

Two people involved in the situation said there had been discussion with the New York Giants, but that talks had not been productive.

The Giants traded tight end Jeremy Shockey to New Orleans last summer for Nos. 2 and 5 drafts pick in 2009. Shockey's replacement, Kevin Boss, has been a disappointment even though the defending Super Bowl champs are undefeated.

Chiefs general manager Carl Peterson is a notoriously tough negotiator and would probably demand at least a second-round pick for the man many Chiefs fans believe is the greatest offensive player in team history.

Bretsky
10-11-2008, 09:13 PM
had a thread on this a while back; my guess is KC can get a 3rd. I doubt TT gives up that draft pick for Gonzo

Harlan Huckleby
10-11-2008, 09:15 PM
With the Packer injury problems, I can't see them considering Gonzalez. This is not a super bowl year. The Packers Super Bowl this year will have to be a win against the Bears.

Chevelle2
10-11-2008, 09:23 PM
Apparently we have shown interest but the G men are leading candidates.

Green Bay, Philadelphia and Buffalo are other teams to express an interest in Gonzalez.

http://www.kansascity.com/385/story/836918.html

BZnDallas
10-11-2008, 10:10 PM
i was all for this trade when it was brought up the last time... but that was a loss or two ago? and i'm not sure TG would want to come to GB... are we a contender?... just one mans opinion...

SnakeLH2006
10-12-2008, 01:41 AM
Who cares...It's fact. JH said TT would give up a 2nd in heartbeat for Tony a week ago.

Fact:

TG is pretty good as pass catcher, below average as a blocker, and shitty as teammate.

Fuck this bitch:

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP)—A disappointed Tony Gonzalez wants to know why Kansas City coaches refused to throw a short pass his way in the final minutes Sunday, leaving him 3 yards short of the career tight end receiving record.

Gonzalez did have a 10-yard touchdown catch in a 33-19 victory over Denver that snapped the Chiefs’ 12-game losing streak. But he wanted to set the receiving record in front of family and fans at Arrowhead Stadium.

“I had my family out there. I'm just a professional football player. It's not like I can afford airfare for them to see me break the record next week. I wanted to do it in front of the fans, in a home game,” Gonzalez said. “It would have been a great way to do it. I’m disappointed by that, for whatever reason I'm not the only person who can catch or carry a football on my team.”

Coach Herm Edwards said the Chiefs didn’t want to take a chance by throwing the ball late in the game.

“After it was a two-possession game, we never got the ball back,” Edwards said.

Gonzalez likely will get the record this week at Carolina, far from the fans who chanted “Ton-Y, Ton-Y” when he lay on the ground, the wind knocked out of him, after making the touchdown catch that stretched the NFL TD record for tight ends to 68. "But that's not the record I want to whine about right now." whined Gonzalez.

“It was really endearing, the way the fans were supporting me like that,” he said. “My wife almost started crying. It was a goose-bump situation. Because I'm not the only player on the team, I guess she'll just have to wait until next week to cry.”

Gonzalez, a nine-time Pro Bowler, uncharacteristically declined to speak with reporters immediately after the game. On Monday, after a private meeting with Edwards, he remained miffed.

He was thrown only a few passes as the Chiefs stuck mostly to a ground game that included Larry Johnson running for 198 yards and two touchdowns.

Gonzalez finished with 47 yards on three catches, including the one that stretched his NFL touchdown record for tight ends to 68. Again, he wasn't concerned with this particular record. His last catch went for 23 yards in a drive that ended in a field goal and a 26-16 lead with 3:49 left.

The Broncos drove down for a field goal with 2:06 left and tried an onside kick. The Chiefs got possession, and Johnson carried four straight times for the clinching touchdown.

When Gonzalez was told he was only 3 yards from Shannon Sharpe’s record of 10,060 yards receiving, he asked coaches on the sideline if he could get the ball.

“I asked anybody who would listen to me at that point,” he said.

He said he had no idea why he wasn’t thrown the ball, even though everyone who would listen to him tried to explain to him why it wouldn't have been a smart play.

“I’ve been trying to think about it all last night and this morning. There are a couple of different answers for that, stuff I agree with and stuff I don’t agree with.”

Somehow, "no idea" and "a couple of different answers" is one and the same.

Gonzalez insisted there was “no controversy, no bad blood” after meeting with Edwards.

“I have ultimate respect for Herm, and I think he has that for me, too,” Gonzalez said. “We talked about it face-to-face, man-to-man. It is what it is, and hopefully it will make us a better football team. I'm not sure what it has to do with the rest of the team, and I’m still a little upset about it.

“But it’s something I’ll get over,” he added. “The victory was more important than anything.”

Edwards agreed there were no hard feelings

“Tony’s fine. We wish we could have got him the record, too,” Edwards said. “But the game, the way it unfolded at the end, we really couldn’t afford to throw a pass. A minute, 47 seconds left in the football game, it’s a one-possession game. You can’t throw a pass when you only lead by one score."

“What if something bad happens when you decide to throw that pass? How is this not obvious, and why are you writing an article about it?"”

Had Gonzalez gotten the record, the Chiefs planned to halt the game and make note of the milestone.

Pacopete4
10-12-2008, 02:36 AM
I'd trade for him in a heart beat if I had Favre under center... Arod just doesnt use TE's enough to make it worth while.. he locks in on Jennings and thats it

Patler
10-12-2008, 03:26 AM
I'd trade for him in a heart beat if I had Favre under center... Arod just doesnt use TE's enough to make it worth while.. he locks in on Jennings and thats it

In 2008, TE's have 20 receptions of the 105 team total, or about 19.05%
In 2007, TEs caught 68 of 383, or about 17.75%.
In 2006, TEs caught 56 of 350, 16%.

It appears that in McCarthy's offense, Rodgers is using the TEs a bit more than Favre did.

motife
10-12-2008, 04:39 AM
So who gets cut Tory Humphrey or Jermichael Finley?

cpk1994
10-12-2008, 04:44 AM

It appears that in McCarthy's offense, Rodgers is using the TEs a bit more than Favre did.And Paco gets Patlerized! Been there myself. Quite the humbling experience.

Tarlam!
10-12-2008, 05:11 AM
And Paco gets Patlerized! Been there myself. Quite the humbling experience.

He does it to us all sooner or later. The thing to remember with Patler is, it's never ever ever personal and he doesn't do it to make posters look silly.

Patler just has little use for emotional claims and prefers fact based arguments.

cpk1994
10-12-2008, 06:26 AM

He does it to us all sooner or later. The thing to remember with Patler is, it's never ever ever personal and he doesn't do it to make posters look silly.

Patler just has little use for emotional claims and prefers fact based arguments.I definitely understand that.

falco
10-12-2008, 07:26 AM
paco needs to take out a restraining order on patler!

paco, maybe you should try actually thinking before opening your mouth ... then you wouldn't give cpk so much ammo against you

Scott Campbell
10-12-2008, 08:20 AM

It appears that in McCarthy's offense, Rodgers is using the TEs a bit more than Favre did.

In 2008, Paco hated ARod about 113.05% of the time.
In 2007, Paco hated ARod about 17.75% of the time.
In 2006, Paco hated ARod about 16% of the time.

Scott Campbell
10-12-2008, 08:21 AM

He does it to us all sooner or later.

Particularly if you're prone to making baseless claims.

falco
10-12-2008, 08:29 AM
god has a sense of humor

he has certainly given everbody on both sides of the aisle just enough ammo to continue to argue that they're right

cpk1994
10-12-2008, 09:51 AM

In 2008, Paco hated ARod about 113.05% of the time.
In 2007, Paco hated ARod about 17.75% of the time.
In 2006, Paco hated ARod about 16% of the time.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

RashanGary
10-12-2008, 09:57 AM
So who gets cut Tory Humphrey or Jermichael Finley?

I would cut John Kuhn and use Humphrey as a fullback/ST player.

Dabaddestbear
10-12-2008, 01:38 PM
That would a great pickup for the Packers. But I doubt if they even try for that one. I love TT :wink:

Pacopete4
10-12-2008, 01:45 PM
Patler,

great stats but I meant more so in the redzone than anything.. he just seems to find WR's more than TE's

I know its early to tell but it just seems like the pattern...

I think he's thrown something like 10 td's career and only 1 has went to a TE, but u might actually know the stats more than me...

Favre on the other hand, in the redzone his best pal was a TE, I think he threw like 10 TD's to them last season

oh, and I do not hate Arod Campbell, CPK and the rest of u clowns...

Pacopete4
10-12-2008, 01:46 PM
[quote=Pacopete4]I'd trade for him in a heart beat if I had Favre under center... Arod just doesnt use TE's enough to make it worth while.. he locks in on Jennings and thats it

In 2008, Paco hated TT about 113.05% of the time.
In 2007, Paco hated TT about 17.75% of the time.
In 2006, Paco hated TT about 16% of the time.

there.. that makes ur stats a little bit closer to the truth

Pacopete4
10-12-2008, 01:48 PM
paco needs to take out a restraining order on patler!

paco, maybe you should try actually thinking before opening your mouth ... then you wouldn't give cpk so much ammo against you

i was thinking.. maybe u should try it... i hope I'm wrong but it doesnt seem that Arod uses his TE in the redzone much at all

falco
10-12-2008, 01:50 PM
i was thinking..

good job! you've taken the first step, but its a log journey.... try to keep up

Pacopete4
10-12-2008, 01:51 PM
i was thinking..

why do u bother posting? do u ever actually discuss football?

falco
10-12-2008, 01:54 PM
i was thinking..

better posters than you have questioned my motives, my friend

Pacopete4
10-12-2008, 01:56 PM
i was thinking..

better posters than you have questioned my motives, my friend

we're not friends.. and i dont care what u think of me as a poster or a human being for that matter... ur just pointless on here, if u have something to add to a convo, add it... or just shut ur yapper... not to hard

Scott Campbell
10-12-2008, 02:38 PM
...... and ur just pointless on here.........

.....as opposed to your special purpose.

Pacopete4
10-12-2008, 02:40 PM
...... and ur just pointless on here.........

.....as opposed to your special purpose.

exactly like this shit.. just shut up campbell.. if u wanna discuss football go ahead by why bother with this shit

Scott Campbell
10-12-2008, 02:41 PM
exactly like this shit.. just shut up campbell.. if u wanna discuss football go ahead by why bother with this shit

:lol:

falco
10-12-2008, 02:45 PM
i understand now...you can be an rude prick and start any sort of drama you want here, as long as you do it under the guise of football talk

paco, you talk all the trash you want but play the "who me" card anytime someone calls you on it

Pacopete4
10-12-2008, 02:47 PM
i understand now...you can be an rude prick and start any sort of drama you want here, as long as you do it under the guise of football talk

paco, you talk all the trash you want but play the "who me" card anytime someone calls you on it

talk trash? just because im on one side of a discussion and ur not does not mean its personal nor talking trash.. i just have a problem with a few that love to comment to a single poster... and of course i'll come back at u if ur gonna be an ass to me... but can u think of one single time ive been a dick to u for absolutely no reason?

Scott Campbell
10-12-2008, 02:53 PM
exactly like this shit.. just shut up campbell......

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=ryan+leaf+locker+room&hl=en&emb=0&aq=f#

Tony Oday
10-12-2008, 03:11 PM
Or could it be that the WR are getting open in the Red Zone and A Rod is making the right reads...

Tyrone Bigguns
10-12-2008, 05:48 PM
Patler,

great stats but I meant more so in the redzone than anything.. he just seems to find WR's more than TE's

I know its early to tell but it just seems like the pattern...

I think he's thrown something like 10 td's career and only 1 has went to a TE, but u might actually know the stats more than me...

Favre on the other hand, in the redzone his best pal was a TE, I think he threw like 10 TD's to them last season

oh, and I do not hate Arod Campbell, CPK and the rest of u clowns...

Maybe the pattern is Arod likes to share the ball as he has as many tds to dd right now as opposed to all of last year from Brett. Obviously Brett hated throwing to DD.

Brett also hated throwing to his backs...as not one caught a td. Arod is already thrown 200 percent more than brett.

Wow, who would have guessed this pattern. Brett didn't throw to DD in the red zone and didn't throw to his backs.