PDA

View Full Version : Tramon Williams

DannoMac21
10-12-2008, 05:58 PM
One word: LEGIT

What do you guys think of his play so far in the absence of Harris? Give this guy a few years and I think he could be a top tier corner.

Gunakor
10-12-2008, 06:14 PM
I think we have half of our aging CB problem solved. I'm holding out hope that Pat Lee will emerge as a better than average CB for the other side.

pbmax
10-12-2008, 06:39 PM
I think he shows signs of being very good. He has made the adjustment to starting very well and in a short time frame. All good signs. he also seems to be good at finding the ball and making a play on it.

Pacopete4
10-12-2008, 06:50 PM
he also seems intelligent enough to play by the rules and doesnt cause a ton of PI calls.... its nice to see

falco
10-12-2008, 06:59 PM
mediocre at best

Pacopete4
10-12-2008, 07:02 PM
3 ints in 3 games started? is that what it is?... thats pretty good ha

pbmax
10-12-2008, 07:11 PM
I think that was sarcasm from falco. Unless my memory is failing me TWill is falco's guy. Or, looking at his avatar, unless the number 38 belongs to someone else now.

Pacopete4
10-12-2008, 07:11 PM
I think that was sarcasm from falco. Unless my memory is failing me TWill is falco's guy.

oh, I wasn't responding to Falco.. I know its his favorite player... I was just stating something I read is all

falco
10-12-2008, 07:12 PM
I think that was sarcasm from falco. Unless my memory is failing me TWill is falco's guy.

:oops: the cat is out of the bag now...

BF4MVP
10-12-2008, 07:13 PM
He's been very good..Major props for filling in for Harris so well 8-)

packerbacker1234
10-12-2008, 07:17 PM
Gotta admit - He's been damn good out there. The problem? We no longer have a solid nickle back... and it shows.

RashanGary
10-12-2008, 07:18 PM
We have part 1 of our two part problem solved. Pat Lee has looked like a rookie, but not completely horrible. Maybe he has a chance. Blackmon is horrible and if Williams is this good at a young age, we should expect better than awfull from Blackmon too. Bush is also horrible.

I'm hoping Lee pans out. The other two are junk. I still consider CB a high priority with OT and DL.

Pacopete4
10-12-2008, 07:18 PM
think Harris is put into that nickle back? or is tramon demoted?

RashanGary
10-12-2008, 07:19 PM

I'd play Harris as nickle.

Pacopete4
10-12-2008, 07:20 PM
me too.. just wondering if our staff would do that to a vet

Gunakor
10-12-2008, 07:20 PM

Harris probably will be used in nickel for a game or two when he returns, but the job is ultimately his.

packerbacker1234
10-12-2008, 07:22 PM

Tramon would get demoted, ultimately.

Harris has earned that right, and he did just appear in the probowl. Also, prior to getting hurt, he was pretty lights out in that game. Harris almost reminded me of what he was 2 seasons ago.

Besides, nickle backs in our defense are on the field it seems 60% of the game. Tramon can wait his turn, because Harris or Woodson wont be back next season (people forget, this is the last year of woodsons contract with absolutely ZERO negotiations going on).

Tramon will get his playing time this season, but his spot is is going back to Harris.

Gunakor
10-12-2008, 07:25 PM
(people forget, this is the last year of woodsons contract with absolutely ZERO negotiations going on).

Woodson signed a 7 year deal with us prior to the 2006 season. He's under contract for a few more years.

RashanGary
10-12-2008, 07:29 PM
Woodsons deal starts escalating after thsi year, but the way he's playing he'll be worth it for at least anohter year, probably two.

packerbacker1234
10-12-2008, 07:34 PM
Woodsons deal starts escalating after thsi year, but the way he's playing he'll be worth it for at least anohter year, probably two.

The issue here, is TT is is showing the willingness to get rid of older players for young guys that can play. Not just Favre, but Williams, Robinson, etc.

Be nice if he would address our future tackle need.

digitaldean
10-12-2008, 07:41 PM
T Will has shown he'll be a more than solid replacement for Harris.

Blackmon... I want to see him succeed, but I think he's going to be better suited as our KR/PR. His returns today were big plus in the field position battle.

Harlan Huckleby
10-12-2008, 08:06 PM
Williams is as good as Harris right now. He is quicker, plays the run just as well.

gbgary
10-12-2008, 08:10 PM
Williams is as good as Harris right now. He is quicker, plays the run just as well.

physically maybe so...but al has the experience and smarts so he's the better of the two...right now.

Cheesehead Craig
10-12-2008, 08:11 PM
+1

Given he's excelling at the bump n run, which is the hardest coverage style he has nothing but upside from here on out.

I think Blackmon has a shot at being the other CB. He's got fantastic agility as is shown by his returns and very good speed as well. He's been hurt and missed a lot of time, but he's got that playmaking ability and I think with more time on the field at CB and if he can stay healthy, I like his chances at becoming a good CB and Woodson's eventual replacement.

Harlan Huckleby
10-12-2008, 08:17 PM

physically maybe so...but al has the experience and smarts so he's the better of the two...right now.

Well, McCain has more experience too. Doesn't seem to be doing much for him.

I can't evaluate exactly how good Al Harris is, but he never looked nearly as quick as Woodson to me. I'd like to see Harris as the nickle.

MJZiggy
10-12-2008, 08:53 PM
me too.. just wondering if our staff would do that to a vet

I think they can get away with it with Harris for the simple reason that a torn spleen is not something you want to mess around with. Even when he comes back, I think they may just tell him they don't think he's ready to be in there 100% yet and put him in nickel for the rest of the season. No one wants Harris to rupture his spleen (except maybe Harris in his zeal to get back on the field)

They can deal with who starts next camp.

Mazzin
10-12-2008, 09:00 PM
I may be wrong, but normally dont teams use their faster/shiftier WR in the slot? Which is covered by the nickle? If so i deff would rather have T. Williams there.....

Pacopete4
10-12-2008, 09:01 PM
I may be wrong, but normally dont teams use their faster/shiftier WR in the slot? Which is covered by the nickle? If so i deff would rather have T. Williams there.....

I think thats why u see C-Wood lined up in the slot a lot of the time

Partial
10-12-2008, 10:52 PM
TWill has played very well, but I don't think he's in Al's league quite yet. He has certainly been a pleasant surprise for somebody many thought would get cut last year.

Wasn't he undrafted? TT seems to find a lot of guys that are undrafted to contribute or at least put forth serious competition in camp. He's good at finding players among the bodies.

3irty1
10-13-2008, 09:42 AM
Twill is starting to show signs of having the best qualities of both our veteran corners.

He has some of the ball skills, return skills, and on the field awareness that have always made Woodson a star but he's also got the self-made aspect of Harris who has carved a career out of durability, preparation, flawless technique, and hard work in the weight room. In a league where a lot of corners sound like chamillionaire, Chuck and Al are well spoken smart guys. Lets hope Twill is their love child.

3irty1
10-13-2008, 09:53 AM

Yes, you tend to see waterbug type receivers in the slot. The slot is not necessarily covered by the nickle though. Usually Chuck moves inside for the Packers.

The Shadow
10-13-2008, 11:59 AM
Tramon is coming along nicely.
Nose for the ball.

rbaloha1
10-13-2008, 01:25 PM
I think Blackmon has a shot at being the other CB. He's got fantastic agility as is shown by his returns and very good speed as well. He's been hurt and missed a lot of time, but he's got that playmaking ability and I think with more time on the field at CB and if he can stay healthy, I like his chances at becoming a good CB and Woodson's eventual replacement.[/quote]

While Blackmon has great returner skills for whatever reason it fails to translate to the corner position.

Even in preseason Blackmon was consistently beat. Blackmon=Hester (remember Hester failed to perform as a corner)

TW is the real deal. Excellent speed and ball awareness. P.Lee has skills but plays tentative. Once the light bulb goes off, PL is the nickel.

mraynrand
10-13-2008, 01:27 PM

But could Williams shut down Darren Charles?

mraynrand
10-13-2008, 01:31 PM

I can't evaluate exactly how good Al Harris is, but he never looked nearly as quick as Woodson to me. I'd like to see Harris as the nickle.

I don't want to see Harris on the field again, unless he is in man coverage - and with safety help for better receivers. I don't want to seen him 'lost in space' playing zone ever again. Nickel or dime, lined up in man against an outside receiver is Al Harris' future. By the time he is healthy, Williams will be all-around better.

3irty1
10-13-2008, 01:42 PM

I don't want to see Harris on the field again, unless he is in man coverage - and with safety help for better receivers. I don't want to seen him 'lost in space' playing zone ever again. Nickel or dime, lined up in man against an outside receiver is Al Harris' future. By the time he is healthy, Williams will be all-around better.

I think Harris will be long out of the league before Tramon gets to his level of play but part of me also thinks that we've seen the end of Al's career or at least the beginning of the end.

Harlan Huckleby
10-13-2008, 01:46 PM
I think Harris will be long out of the league before Tramon gets to his level of play but part of me also thinks that we've seen the end of Al's career or at least the beginning of the end.

HAve you fogotten the NFC championship game? Harris relies so much on the physical play, when that doesn't work, he is dead meat.

I just don't see Harris as an outstanding corner, I wonder if he is even better than average.
Williams tackles just as well, and he has a little catch-up speed.

Cheesehead Craig
10-13-2008, 01:47 PM

Damn, I just about spit out my drink on that one! :lol:

That's a blast from the past there mray.

Deputy Nutz
10-13-2008, 01:58 PM
We have part 1 of our two part problem solved. Pat Lee has looked like a rookie, but not completely horrible. Maybe he has a chance. Blackmon is horrible and if Williams is this good at a young age, we should expect better than awfull from Blackmon too. Bush is also horrible.

I'm hoping Lee pans out. The other two are junk. I still consider CB a high priority with OT and DL.

Blackmon split time in college as a receiver and cornerback. He is a great athlete but really doesn't have a position that truly fits him. With his injury situation his contribution to the defense is that of a rookie. I would give him a little more time before you throw the baby out with the bath water.

3irty1
10-13-2008, 03:06 PM

HAve you fogotten the NFC championship game? Harris relies so much on the physical play, when that doesn't work, he is dead meat.

I just don't see Harris as an outstanding corner, I wonder if he is even better than average.
Williams tackles just as well, and he has a little catch-up speed.

Luckily the physical play has worked out pretty well for him. I don't think that one game makes him a liability. He still does a great job for us.

Partial
10-13-2008, 03:26 PM
Al can't cover a big, talented #1. He struggles against guys like TO, Plax, etc. He's a great #2. Tramon looks like a great #3. Once we get healthy we'll have quite the back 7.

Tony Oday
10-13-2008, 03:34 PM
Al can't cover a big, talented #1. He struggles against guys like TO, Plax, etc. He's a great #2. Tramon looks like a great #3. Once we get healthy we'll have quite the back 7.

I still think our coaching staff struggles there because they think Harris can take those guys one on one. There is not a corner in the NFL that can take an Elite WR the whole game without help...The WR only has to win that battle 7 times in a game to have a HUGE game where as the CB more than likely has to cover him for at least 40 passing plays.

Gunakor
10-13-2008, 03:40 PM

What's the ect.? He's struggled against Plax and TO, but who else? He's shut down everyone else he's seen almost completely. QB's don't even throw at him. Aside from Plax and TO I can't think of a single guy in the last 3 years that has gotten the better of Al.

Gunakor
10-13-2008, 03:41 PM
I still think our coaching staff struggles there because they think Harris can take those guys one on one. There is not a corner in the NFL that can take an Elite WR the whole game without help...The WR only has to win that battle 7 times in a game to have a HUGE game where as the CB more than likely has to cover him for at least 40 passing plays.

Roy Williams says Al can cover one on one just fine.

3irty1
10-13-2008, 03:47 PM

True. Without help over the top our guys can not be as physical as they would like to be against the biggest and fastest guys out there. I'd be surprised if Al didn't continue to get assigned opponents #1 guys should he come back. Having three reliable corners will be awesome and should keep fresh legs on the field all the time.

HarveyWallbangers
10-13-2008, 03:58 PM
Al was at his peak a couple of years ago, and he's dropped off since. Could be age. Either way, I'm glad he's recovering well because he's still tons better than Blackmon--and that's really who is replacing him. As the nickle, Tramon was on the field a lot already.

rbaloha1
10-13-2008, 04:02 PM
Al can still play. Wish TW matched Al's toughness and aggresiveness.

TheCheese
10-13-2008, 04:12 PM

I think they are starting to realize having Al lock up on a plax, TO etc isn't the greatest idea because of how physical they are. Which is why you saw Woodson on TO and Al on the other guy to take him out of the game.

falco
10-13-2008, 04:25 PM
:oops:

Mazzin
10-13-2008, 04:59 PM

Im not following sorry. ??

RashanGary
10-13-2008, 05:05 PM
Al was at his peak a couple of years ago, and he's dropped off since. Could be age. Either way, I'm glad he's recovering well because he's still tons better than Blackmon--and that's really who is replacing him. As the nickle, Tramon was on the field a lot already.

Agreed. We get a lot better with Al back. I flip flopped. I want him starting for the rest of this year after a one game nickle break in period. Tramon can take the reigns next year.

Harlan Huckleby
10-13-2008, 06:51 PM
Al can still play. Wish TW matched Al's toughness and aggresiveness.

have you noticed TW's tackling? He's aggressive, and best of all he wraps-up and finishes tackles.

Bottom line, I can't say TW is better than AH, especially since it is the hardest position to judge watching TV. I HOPE TW is just as good or better, because that is good news for the Packers, and my limitted view says TW is already there.

bobblehead
10-13-2008, 08:40 PM

NOBODY covers those guys one on one and wins...other teams don't even try.