PDA

View Full Version : Jennings - "the boy is BAD", says K-Rob

digitaldean
10-12-2008, 08:24 PM
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/football/382632_hawk10.html

Seahawks Notebook: A quick slant on Pack's big-play receiver Jennings: 'The boy is bad'
By CLARE FARNSWORTH
P-I REPORTER

RENTON -- They play the same position. They played for the same team. They possess similar skills.

So if anyone knows what is about to be unleashed on the Seahawks' suddenly porous pass defense on Sunday, it's Koren Robinson.

"The boy is bad," Robinson said, smiling and shaking his head.

"He's a bad boy, man."

This bad boy goes by the name of Greg Jennings, and he doesn't just lead the Green Bay Packers in receiving (29 receptions), he leads the entire league in receiving yards (569).

Jennings will be the Packers' split end when they meet the Seahawks at Qwest Field, and Robinson could make his first start at that spot in his second go-round with the Seahawks.

They were teammates in Green Bay in 2006 and 2007, before the Packers released Robinson in May.

Jennings' proficiency at running quick slants and production provided by his run after the catch are a throwback to the elements that first attracted the Seahawks to Robinson in 2001, when they made him the ninth pick overall in the NFL draft.

Jennings is averaging 19.6 yards on his 29 receptions and nine of his 17 career touchdown catches have covered at least 40 yards.

Mix that with the Seahawks' propensity for giving up big pass plays during their 1-3 start, and it's a recipe for a combustible concoction.

"He is excellent after the catch -- excellent," strong safety Deon Grant said of Jennings. "We've just got to make sure we rally and get him down. That's what you have to do against this guy."

Jennings is continuing to go long, even though the Packers have shortened up those trademark slants.

"It's not even a slant, really, it's just a shoot route," Robinson said.

Translation: Jennings will be only a yard or two off the line before quarterback Aaron Rodgers uses his strong arm to get him the ball.

"They have really done that better than anybody -- catch a short pass and take it to the house," Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren said.

Because Kelly Jennings is slight (180 pounds) and hurting (cracked rib and concussion) and Josh Wilson is only 5 feet 9, the Seahawks' best option to throw at Greg Jennings is cornerback Marcus Trufant -- who can at least match Jennings' size (both are 5-11, 198).

"Jennings is a big, strong, athletic guy who can make the big catch -- and he's putting up big numbers," Trufant said. "He's just looking for a spot to get open, whether it's a slant, a post, a skinny post.

"Call it what you want, he's finding the spot to get open and making plays."

That's because Jennings has worked at getting open and getting the ball from a new passer -- Rodgers, who has stepped into the legendary shoes of Brett Favre.

"Greg has a very strong work ethic in practice and a lot of that carries over in the game -- the way he practices, the ability to get on the same page in practice and work on our timing," Rodgers said this week. "It's really allowed him and I to be on the same page, and for him to make some great catches."

Timing also was a factor in Robinson returning to the Seahawks, who lost three receivers to season-ending injuries in a three-game span and still were waiting for the returns of injured receivers Bobby Engram and Deion Branch.

The Seahawks re-signed Robinson on Sept. 9, but he irritated a chronic knee problem in his first practice and has yet to play in a game.

That could change Sunday against a team that gave him a chance when no one else would with Robinson facing a one-year suspension for multiple violations of the league's substance abuse policy.

Robinson's knee is feeling better, and Thursday he made it through a second full -- and productive -- practice this week.

"I definitely appreciate what the Packers did; they gave me an opportunity," Robinson said. "I definitely thank them for the opportunity and believing in me and giving me a shot."

Without that shot, Robinson would not have gotten his second chance with the Seahawks.

"It all coincides," he said.[/url][/i]

BF4MVP
10-12-2008, 08:58 PM
Nice article, thanks for posting it. Koren's been a class act ever since he got to Green Bay, and it doesn't seem like that has changed..

pbmax
10-12-2008, 11:12 PM
It was nice to see Rodgers air one out to Jennings for the TD. Both to let us know his arm still had that throw but also because matchup-wise, that looked like the most promising play all game long. We only saw certain replays of the secondary, but he seemed single-covered a lot.