PDA

View Full Version : I heart Jordy

Harlan Huckleby
10-12-2008, 08:28 PM
I think Jordy Nelson is the bomb. He ALWAYS catches the ball away from his body, then cradles it, just like the great recievers do. That guy is such a fluid athlete, he has great instincts after he has the ball, he's a real player. He needs to stay on the playing field.

MJZiggy
10-12-2008, 08:35 PM
Isn't he a little young for you?

(I agree by the way, he had a great game)

RashanGary
10-12-2008, 08:37 PM
I agree. I think he's going to be a great compliment to Greg Jennings. Jennings is the deep threat that can still get you 6 years when you need it and Nelson is the go to guy for 6 yards but still able to break the big one when it's there.

I forsee a Rodgers to Nelson slant in traffic on third down as being a staple of this offense for many years to come. Watching his college tape and his time in the NFL, I think he might be the most reliabe reciever we've had since Sterling Sharpe.

Harlan Huckleby
10-12-2008, 08:38 PM
Nelson is faster than I expected. The knock on him out of college was that he wasn't "explosive", but he looks both fast and quick to me.

Scott Campbell
10-12-2008, 08:40 PM
Has Jordy moved ahead of Jones?

RashanGary
10-12-2008, 08:41 PM
Nelson is faster than I expected. The knock on him out of college was that he wasn't "explosive", but he looks both fast and quick to me.

I always thought that "he's not explosive" crap was BS. He was dynamic in college after the catch. I think his greatest asset is how he uses his body to shield defenders and his hands to catch the ball in traffic, but he's more than that. He reminds me of Hines Ward. Very complete.

Harlan Huckleby
10-12-2008, 08:42 PM

Jones - has he moved ahead of Driver?

Scott Campbell
10-12-2008, 08:43 PM

Jones - has he moved ahead of Driver?

Nah. Not yet.

Harlan Huckleby
10-12-2008, 08:45 PM
ya, I was just kidding. But he surely is better than Jones, any fool can see that.

RashanGary
10-12-2008, 08:46 PM
Wait till next year to put him in front of Driver. He's a rookie right now. I'm impressed. He's a baller, for sure. I like the way he blocks on kick returns too. He gets in front of his guy and always sustains a functional block. I don't think he'll ever have the amount of big plays that Jennings has (no one in the NFL does right now), but I think he can be the most reliable, complete reciever we've had in over a decade.

RashanGary
10-12-2008, 08:47 PM
ya, I was just kidding. But he surely is better than Jones, any fool can see that.

Oh BS. It's fuckin' go time.

No, really, you sell Jones short. He's a good player. I agree that Nelson seems to have a stronger skillset, but Jones is a brute. He's going to be a good one.

Harlan Huckleby
10-12-2008, 08:48 PM
I take it back.

Apparently any fool can't see that Nelson is better than Jones.

MJZiggy
10-12-2008, 08:49 PM

Oh BS. It's fuckin' go time.

No, really, you sell Jones short. He's a good player. I agree that Nelson seems to have a stronger skillset, but Jones is a brute. He's going to be a good one.

He's gotta hang onto the ball better.

RashanGary
10-12-2008, 08:50 PM
I take it back.

I agree that he looks better. I'm just saying that Jones isn't as bad as you say. You keep talking about him like he shouldn't be on the field. He was a rookie last year and made a lot of big plays. I like Jordy better as a prospect, always have, but I don't share your lack of enthusiasm for Jones. I think he's a baller.

retailguy
10-12-2008, 08:51 PM
I take it back.

:D You shouldn't pick on the youngun's like that. It isn't fair. Damn funny, but unfair. :P

Tarlam!
10-13-2008, 05:07 AM
Has Jordy ever dropped a catchable one thrown his way? I am really impressed by the kid.

TT sure knows how to draft WRs it seems.

Now, if he knew anything about drafting guards...... J/K! :P

I heart Jordy, too. More than Jones, FWIW.

HarveyWallbangers
10-13-2008, 07:38 AM
As I've said before, I don't see Jones ever being a good starter in the NFL. I see that in Jordy Nelson eventually. I'm actually a little surprised Jordy looks so good early. I thought he be a slight developmental pick. Jones is pretty darn good as a 4th WR though, and Ruvell isn't bad for a 5th WR.

Brohm
10-13-2008, 07:43 AM
Jones wasn't suited up yesterday washe? That knee must have been worse off than expected >< Hope he can get back after the bye week.

3irty1
10-13-2008, 08:44 AM
As I've said before, I don't see Jones ever being a good starter in the NFL. I see that in Jordy Nelson eventually. I'm actually a little surprised Jordy looks so good early. I thought he be a slight developmental pick. Jones is pretty darn good as a 4th WR though, and Ruvell isn't bad for a 5th WR.

I still maintain that there isn't much difference between Jordy, Jones, or Martin at this point. All have good hands and are reliable options. All are big. Jones fumbles a bit too much but he also has made the most big plays. I don't know how you can think Jones will never be a starter unless you think he'll always be injured.

mraynrand
10-13-2008, 09:24 AM
Nelson is far better than Jones, especially when Jones is inactive.

HarveyWallbangers
10-13-2008, 09:24 AM
I don't know how you can think Jones will never be a starter unless you think he'll always be injured.

He's too slow, drops too many balls, and fumbles too much to be a good starter.

MadtownPacker
10-13-2008, 10:30 AM
Oh, Harlan met the footballplayer. I thought he was having an 80s flashback of his old boy band faze.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l16/krftwrkr/JordanKnight.jpg

The Shadow
10-13-2008, 11:30 AM
Nelson will be a bigtime positive for the Packers sooner rather than later.

rbaloha1
10-13-2008, 01:45 PM
JN is improving. Still needs to run more precise routes.

Displays nice hands and the ability to locate holes in defensive coverage.

Future starter and shall emerge as the Bill Schroeder we all wished for.

Harlan Huckleby
10-13-2008, 01:49 PM

Really? I thought is route running was very crisp. But only noticed a couple short passes, you cna't really see much on TV.

cheesner
10-13-2008, 02:14 PM

Not sure I read that right at first. Are we wishing JN is like Bill Schroeder, or that we wished for more out of Bill Schroeder and JN may fulfill that?

3irty1
10-13-2008, 03:33 PM
I don't know how you can think Jones will never be a starter unless you think he'll always be injured.

That's not really fair. It seems to me that his drops/fumbles are not chronic habbits. He seems to drop them in bunches and all his fumbles are literally in one game last year. Punched out by Charles Tillman. At this time last year Jones was being compared to Sterling Sharpe and described as "glue handed." I still think he can get healthy and push as hard as anyone else for the 3rd WR spot.

Gunakor
10-13-2008, 03:43 PM

That's not really fair. It seems to me that his drops/fumbles are not chronic habbits. He seems to drop them in bunches and all his fumbles are literally in one game last year. Punched out by Charles Tillman. At this time last year Jones was being compared to Sterling Sharpe and described as "glue handed." I still think he can get healthy and push as hard as anyone else for the 3rd WR spot.

Agreed, but that will be after Driver retires. He'll be our #3 WR behind Jennings and Nelson going forward.

HarveyWallbangers
10-13-2008, 03:54 PM

Jones has dropped a lot of balls since the middle of last year. The Sharpe comparisons were ridiculous. Sharpe couldn't run a 4.3, but he had game speed. People didn't catch him from behind much. Jones fumbled another time last year, I vaguely remember him fumbling this preseason, and there were camp reports that he was fumbling a lot. He's fine as a #3 receiver, but my point is that I don't think he'll ever be somebody you'd be happy with starting.

rbaloha1
10-13-2008, 04:07 PM

Not sure I read that right at first. or that we wished for more out of Bill Schroeder and JN may fulfill that?

Yes, this is what I meant. Recall the wr coach, Ray Sherman was continually BS never played yp to his potential.

IMO Jordy Nelson reaches his full potential as opposed to BS.

3irty1
10-13-2008, 04:14 PM

Jones has dropped a lot of balls since the middle of last year. The Sharpe comparisons were ridiculous. Sharpe couldn't run a 4.3, but he had game speed. People didn't catch him from behind much. Jones fumbled another time last year, I vaguely remember him fumbling this preseason, and there were camp reports that he was fumbling a lot. He's fine as a #3 receiver, but my point is that I don't think he'll ever be somebody you'd be happy with starting.

The 2nd half of last year he was quiet but the 1st half of last year he was great. Yes the Sharpe comparisons are an exaggeration. I'm not trying to take away anything from Jordy who has also had a solid half season for us but I don't see what makes him all that much better than Jones or even Martin. All of them are fine as a #3. Its a really good group and I think any of them could eventually be somebody I'd be happy with starting. Of the lot wouldn't you say Jones has the best highlight reel?

Cheesehead Craig
10-13-2008, 04:25 PM
With Jones being hurt this year, it's hard to get a read on where he's at. I liked him when he played last year and his preseason catch vs Cincy was legendary.

I tend to agree with Harv that I look at him as more of a #3 WR. With that said, I also look at Jordy as a #3 as well right now. They both need more work and more game experience for us to see how they may be as a #2 in the future.

falco
10-13-2008, 04:27 PM
With Jones being hurt this year, it's hard to get a read on where he's at. I liked him when he played last year and his preseason catch vs Cincy was legendary.

I tend to agree with Harv that I look at him as more of a #3 WR. With that said, I also look at Jordy as a #3 as well right now. They both need more work and more game experience for us to see how they may be as a #2 in the future.

we look very nice long term at WR

hopefully Jennings gets locked up long term soon

steve823
10-13-2008, 11:48 PM
He better. He earned himself a big fat check and if TT doesnt do it I'll die. And my Jennings jersey just came in the mail today too :D

bobblehead
10-14-2008, 12:20 AM
I think he can be a solid possession type starter...almost a poor mans keyshawn johnson. He is a horse who can catch that 3rd and 4 in traffic...that is of course if the drops are temporary and caused partly by his injuries.

Tarlam!
10-14-2008, 01:27 AM

What Falco said.

If I am TT, this is priority #1. Give him a raise this year already and pay the man. There can be no doubt that Jennings is quality.

bobblehead
10-14-2008, 02:21 AM

People put too much value on speed...I swear to god its nice to have, but not a necessity...does he turn his routes at the right depth and cut them off hard?? Then he can be a starter. I didn't see anyone in the denver secondary catching him from behind.

Tarlam!
10-14-2008, 02:31 AM
People put too much value on speed...I swear to god its nice to have, but not a necessity...

With all due respect, I completely disagree.

I never played American Football. I played Rugby. I was a tough as nails hooker. Ask KY what that is. We call it "The Engine Room".

At any rate, in Rugby, you have forwards and backs. The backs are the speed guys. I remeber playing against an Aborigine centre (a back) named Jackie. I captained my team. Every time Jackie got the ball, he outran our entire defense. We got absolutely slaughtered. His speed had to be seen to be believed.

I have seen first hand what speed means. KY, any words on this?

Zool
10-14-2008, 07:40 AM
I was a tough as nails hooker.

Anyone want to take this?

Tarlam!
10-14-2008, 07:44 AM

Only KY knows what a rugby hooker is on this board. Believe me, it aint as glamorous as that Heidi chick from L.A.

Scott Campbell
10-14-2008, 08:11 AM

Put your money away Harlan.

Rastak
10-14-2008, 09:11 AM

Only KY knows what a rugby hooker is on this board. Believe me, it aint as glamorous as that Heidi chick from L.A.

No, I know what a hooker is in Rugby.

Go All-Blacks! (Sorry Tar).

bobblehead
10-14-2008, 09:37 AM
People put too much value on speed...I swear to god its nice to have, but not a necessity...

With all due respect, I completely disagree.

I never played American Football. I played Rugby. I was a tough as nails hooker. Ask KY what that is. We call it "The Engine Room".

At any rate, in Rugby, you have forwards and backs. The backs are the speed guys. I remeber playing against an Aborigine centre (a back) named Jackie. I captained my team. Every time Jackie got the ball, he outran our entire defense. We got absolutely slaughtered. His speed had to be seen to be believed.

I have seen first hand what speed means. KY, any words on this?

I'm not saying its not a big bonus, I'm saying people put too much weight on it. The difference between a 4.4 and 4.6 is near negligable in a 7 yard out...but did he run it at 8 yards and throw off the timing? Did he do a lazy cut and let the corner read the route? Did he get jammed at the line and not complete the route before the QB got hit?

Yes, its better if all things are equal to be faster, but people talk about speed as the be all end all. After the Jones draft everyone on the JS boards were so high on Clowney and down on JJ just cuz of 40 times.....guess where that 4.3 got clowney!!!

One last point. I ran about a 4.55 in my prime....does that mean I could play corner in the NFL? Hell no, my hips are too stiff and I'm only 5'9". There are so many factors that go into being a player that a guys speed is damn near irrelevant as a sole stat....If JJ were too slow to ever have a shot at being a starter why is he on our roster? A second year player without starter talent...that is also known as the cut squad.

MJZiggy
10-14-2008, 08:15 PM

What Falco said.

If I am TT, this is priority #1. Give him a raise this year already and pay the man. There can be no doubt that Jennings is quality.

I read earlier in the season that Jennings doesn't want a new contract right now. He wants to see how the year plays out first and how much he can get on the open market first.

Tarlam!
10-15-2008, 04:52 AM
Go All-Blacks!

Go Wallabies! I'm impressed, Ras. Devastated, of course, that you would cheer on the All-Blacks, but impressed none-the-less.

Tarlam!
10-15-2008, 05:17 AM

You make an excellent argument, BH, really you do.

But, your case is all stats and theory.

I have been confronted with speed factually. In practice and not on paper. And I tell you, those 0.02 seconds make a damned difference on the playing field.

I again refer to "Jackie". I don't know what he timed, but I still remember to this day what he did to my team. I am 45 years old today, and that game took place when I was 12. It is the game I have the most vivid memories of, because of Jackie's speed. I had never seen anyone run so fast in my life.

So, though you make a great theoretical case for ignoring speed, I can't support you on the grounds that I have experienced what speed can do.

Tarlam!
10-15-2008, 05:21 AM
I read earlier in the season that Jennings doesn't want a new contract right now. He wants to see how the year plays out first and how much he can get on the open market first.

Well, that just sucks gooseberries, doesn't it? That's about what Cory Williams was about.