PDA

View Full Version : Rodgers Most Mature Game - Take 2

pbmax
10-12-2008, 09:07 PM
Christ, same old same old. Any thread dealing with Favre or Rodgers and it is the same people in a dispute. I took a little bit more than a month off from this place and it is the same shit from the same people.

Glad I haven't missed much.

Well, it's down to two people going back and forth for the most part so it is a lot better. You must have missed my "I was wrong about Brett" thread. He's having a really good year. I'm impressed. With everythign blowing over for the most part and the season beginning, I dropped my Favre hate Smile. I still sort of hate him, but I wish him the best because we could get a 1st round pick!!

Well the Jets decided to open up their offense and let Favre work. He understands defenses and he needed to get on the same page as he wide outs and receivers. Favre is still Favre, he had three turnovers today but the Jets were playing the Bungels so all is good.

Rodgers is also playing better than expected, even hurt. I sure have my opinions on McCarthy and Thompson but that is probably never going to change. I think McCarthy is protect Rodgers with certain routes and such, not a lot of passes down the middle of the field, safe passes and such, which is fine he is an accurate passer, but his presence in the pocket is still that of a first year starter, he is not ahead of the curve in that regard.

retailguy
10-12-2008, 09:10 PM
This thread won't be crapped on like the other one. I just got back from my church small group, or I'd have handled it earlier.

Have fun, and a good discussion this time!

MJZiggy
10-12-2008, 09:10 PM
Rodgers had a great game--gutted out a tough fought win with a damn painful arm. Gotta respect that.

retailguy
10-12-2008, 09:11 PM
Rodgers had a great game--gutted out a tough fought win with a damn painful arm. Gotta respect that.

agreed, you can't ask much more than what he gave today. I am impressed.

pbmax
10-12-2008, 09:14 PM
... he is an accurate passer, but his presence in the pocket is still that of a first year starter, he is not ahead of the curve in that regard.
Could not be more true if uttered by Cliff Christl, Cleft Cristy and Ron Wolf all at the same time. I expected a lot more deer in the headlights stuff and a more limited range of throws, so I have been pleasantly surprised. He can fail to make quick reads and hold onto the ball too long, but that has been common only in one game so far.

The one area where he clearly shows his experience is pocket awareness. Holding onto the ball too long and drifting away from phantom pressure right into real pressure. Having a bad wing is not making staying or running an easier decision either.'

I do disagree with Zig on the injury. He might not be likely to make it worse by throwing, but taking hits and running could easily expose him to further damage, there is no way to predict that. So he is due even more credit, but given that he has to be protecting the shoulder when running, it does give him one more thing to think about.

Guiness
10-12-2008, 09:14 PM
Must...resist...desire...to....tell someone here to...get stuffed!!!

:lol:

dunno why. Just feels like the right thing to do

Seriously though, I'm anxious to hear what people thought of his performance today. I missed the game, and won't likely be able to see it for a couple of weeks. From the line, it looks like he did a good job, but I'm curious to hear how he played with a bad shoulder - and like PBMax said, did it affect his decision making wrt staying or running

pbmax
10-12-2008, 09:16 PM
And this has nothing to do with Rodgers' maturity, but did anyone see Pickett come back into the game?

Scott Campbell
10-12-2008, 09:20 PM
Nice game Aaron!

Guiness
10-12-2008, 09:30 PM
Nice game Aaron!

Rouse, Rodgers or Kampman?

I kid, I kid. But it is neat that we have three of them!

red
10-12-2008, 09:31 PM
he played another very good game

and he proved to me at least that he has all the heart and guts you need to be a great qb, all on that one qb sneak where he kept fighting to get in the endzone

you can't say the guy isn't tuff. he may be injury prone, but he'll try and play through the pain as long as he can

the timing is the one thing he needs to improve on, and that will come with time

Partial
10-12-2008, 10:46 PM
It wasn't so much that he put up big numbers, it's how he handled the game. For the first time I was thinking we're going to be in good hands.

Rodgers seemed to have learned a lot from Favre. It seems like he took away a lot of the good stuff, like toughness and tenacity. While I think last week was more impressive injury wise, I don't think Rodgers will sit a game out all year. He certainly seems to know how to play through pain and prepare to play week in and week out.

HarveyWallbangers
10-12-2008, 11:04 PM
Throw Favre out of the equation. If you are old enough to remember the Packers before Favre, think about how elated you'd be if any QB looked like Rodgers has in his first 6 starts. He looks like the real deal, and it's his first 6 starts. It looks like we were really lucky that Rodgers dropped to us in 2005--something both Bretsky and I were disappointed in.

mission
10-12-2008, 11:22 PM
Nice game Aaron!

Rouse, Rodgers or Kampman?

I kid, I kid. But it is neat that we have three of them!

Yeah, that's really neat. Borderline awesome.

... -->>

Thought A-Rod played well today... not lights out but I think today was the exact kind of game the A-Rod "supporters" envisioned him playing before the season started. The game (or two) where he has played better was definitely exceeding expectations for me ... today he got it done.

Agree with the pocket presence comment as well.. once he gets more poised back there, he'll take a dramatic step forward in production/team results.

Cheesehead Craig
10-12-2008, 11:31 PM
He has a fantastic deep ball (get your minds out of the gutter) and with that kind of accuracy, he can turn a game around quickly just like with the big TD to Jennings.

That's the biggest thing that's surprised me about his game. The good decisions I expected along with his mobility. But the accurate deep ball? That's something that was unexpected by even his most ardent of supporters.

Packgator
10-13-2008, 12:23 AM
did anyone see Pickett come back into the game?

MRI for Pickett on Monday. Tricep injury.

pacfan
10-13-2008, 12:33 AM
Throw Favre out of the equation. If you are old enough to remember the Packers before Favre, think about how elated you'd be if any QB looked like Rodgers has in his first 6 starts. He looks like the real deal, and it's his first 6 starts. It looks like we were really lucky that Rodgers dropped to us in 2005--something both Bretsky and I were disappointed in.

Bingo, we have a winner. I remember Tomczak, Kiel, Wright...we are much better off these days.

I thought Rodgers did well today. I watched the game with the volume down so I can avoid hearing about Brett this and Brett that. Rodgers seemed very tight in the first half, no smiling or laughing around the huddle. It appeared that his shoulder was bothering him. But he toughed it out.

Later he was smiling and joking with the team and other players. His later throws were placed them with zip and accuracy. I am impressed with how accurate his throws are.

Aaron does seem a bit too comfortable in the pocket. He holds onto the ball for a long time waiting for the play to develop (my guess), this will lead to ARod taking some monster shots. I suspect the quick and sometimes wild release of BF helped to avoid some of those monsters shots.

A good game.

oregonpackfan
10-13-2008, 01:26 AM
Just got back from Seattle an hour ago. Yes, I was at Qwest Field watching the game!

One particular aspect that impressed me about Rodgers is how well he kept his composure in an away game with a very loud environment.

Quest Field is VERY loud. The roofs on each side of the field seem to bounce the sound waves back into the stadium. Because of the noise, the opponents of the Seahawks lead the league in false starts when they play at Quest Field.

Before the snap, I wondered how the players could hear the snap count. Rodgers did not let the crowd high volume level disturb him.

As Harvey pointed out, this was just Rodgers' sixth start in the NFL. This guy is going to be a very good QB for a long time, IMO.

Tarlam!
10-13-2008, 05:12 AM
The game started at 10:15 pm here last night and finished at about 1:30 am.

I was really quite dismayed at how poorly the Packers played as a team, to be honest. One of the highlights was definitely A-Rod. I was thrilled by the bomb to Jennings. Exceptionally good throw IMO. I think where he threw it, only Jennings had an angle to the ball.

Clearly he's a competitor and he's tough. I'm hoping he doesn't have a slump, though.

Badgerinmaine
10-13-2008, 07:23 AM
Throw Favre out of the equation. If you are old enough to remember the Packers before Favre, think about how elated you'd be if any QB looked like Rodgers has in his first 6 starts.

Doubly true if you are a little older and remember things before Don Majkowski. :-)

Badgerinmaine
10-13-2008, 07:24 AM
Just got back from Seattle an hour ago. Yes, I was at Qwest Field watching the game!
Sweet! How did you like it?

Kiwon
10-13-2008, 08:02 AM

Rodgers has exceeded all reasonable expectations. He's playing hurt and he's playing well. We've got a QB that we can be proud of. (At least he won't run along the backline and think he's still in play. That was nuts. :) )

HW, don't remind me about the 70's and 80's.

Scott Campbell
10-13-2008, 08:04 AM

I see some Rats are capable of bringing home a W. I don't know what is wrong with the rest of you people.

sharpe1027
10-13-2008, 09:30 AM
I think McCarthy is protect Rodgers with certain routes and such, not a lot of passes down the middle of the field, safe passes and such, which is fine he is an accurate passer...

Honestly, the play calling doesn't look that much different to me than last year with Favre. Either McCarthy was also protecting Favre, which is possible, or that's just their offense, which is more likely. Also, you can have the exact same play called and the only difference is who the QB decides to throw the ball to. They may have hit on a few more deep balls last year, but they also missed on a few more of them...

*edit* Quotation fixed to protect the innocent. :oops:

oregonpackfan
10-13-2008, 10:43 AM
Sweet! How did you like it?

This was my first time at Qwest Field. Overall, I thought it was a well-designed stadium. As I posted earlier, it has two partial roofs which provide protection from the Northwest rains(though it was dry and partly sunny).

Because Qwest has mostly individual seats instead of bleachers, I thought the fans are a bit further away from the field than at Lambeau. The Stadium is larger than Lambeau though its 67,000 capacity is slightly smaller than Lambeau's 70,000.

Parking at Qwest is atrocious. Because it is in an industrial area and is bordered by the Puget Sound on one side, parking is limited and VERY expensive. The standard parking fee is $30. We arrived 2 hours early and were "lucky" to find a free parking spot over a mile from the Stadium!

MadtownPacker
10-13-2008, 10:46 AM

I see some Rats are capable of bringing home a W. I don't know what is wrong with the rest of you people.Hey hey clown, OPF was there last year too! I think it is a West Coast thing because I have never seen a loss in San Fran.

pbmax
10-13-2008, 12:37 PM
I think McCarthy is protect Rodgers with certain routes and such, not a lot of passes down the middle of the field, safe passes and such, which is fine he is an accurate passer...

Honestly, the play calling doesn't look that much different to me than last year with Favre. Either McCarthy was also protecting Favre, which is possible, or that's just their offense, which is more likely. Also, you can have the exact same play called and the only difference is who the QB decides to throw the ball to. They may have hit on a few more deep balls last year, but they also missed on a few more of them...
As an athlete said "Hey, I was misquoted!"

rbaloha1
10-13-2008, 01:35 PM
AR continues to impress. Scans the entire field with accuracy plus only 4 interceptions!

Playing the way MM desires. Watch out when the running game gains consistency.

Deputy Nutz
10-13-2008, 02:06 PM

Most of the QBs of the mid 80s and early nineties were never going to be stellar QBs and on top of that they got thrown into the fire. It was a revolving door at QB. One week it was Majikowski, then Kiel, than Dilweg. It was horrible, absolutely horrible.

Rodgers has had what none of them had a veteran in front of him for three years. Favre surely hasn't made Rodgers, but Rodgers would have been stupid if he ignored Favre, his preparation, his game management, and his keen ability to throw off his back foot. Rodgers is also more talented than the above mentioned three some, but if Rodgers had to start out of the gate his rookie year or thrust into games before he was ready you might have easily checked his name right next those guys.