PDA

View Full Version : Engagement Ring Carat Amount

Partial
10-13-2008, 01:35 AM
Not getting engaged, just curious as to what size ring most people get. I really have no idea.

HowardRoark
10-13-2008, 07:05 AM
One of my theories on life is that there is an inverse coorelation between the size of the diamond and the quality of the marriage/relationship.

GBRulz
10-13-2008, 07:35 AM
This is a question that if you are serious enough about, should already have an idea to the answer to. Either your gf likes the big rocks, or she doesn't. And also things like solitaire or princess cut? What kind of band? There is alot more to the equation than just carat size.

First of all, let's work on your tipping skills and then you can talk diamonds ! :lol:

hoosier
10-13-2008, 07:47 AM
This is a question that if you are serious enough about, should already have an idea to the answer to. Either your gf likes the big rocks, or she doesn't. And also things like solitaire or princess cut? What kind of band? There is alot more to the equation than just carat size.

First of all, let's work on your tipping skills and then you can talk diamonds ! :lol:

A wise response. Ditto.

retailguy
10-13-2008, 08:09 AM

Tipping??? It takes FIVE MINUTES to pick out a ring. Why should I be tipping on that? :wink: :D :lol:

mraynrand
10-13-2008, 09:12 AM

Every gf likes the big rocks, just not Winslow-sized.

MadScientist
10-13-2008, 10:28 AM

So chicks go for cow tippers?

MadtownPacker
10-13-2008, 10:39 AM
Not getting engaged, just curious as to what size ring most people get. I really have no idea.Moron, save the BS. We all know you are doomed if you are asking this question.

Isnt it traditionally suppose to be about 2 months pay when it comes to buying a ring for some undeserving female (yes none of them deserve it)?

sheepshead
10-13-2008, 10:51 AM
One of my theories on life is that there is an inverse coorelation between the size of the diamond and the quality of the marriage/relationship.

Bingo!

Partial
10-13-2008, 11:24 AM

I've got about 5-6 years before I'll even consider getting married, I'm just curious. My friends are all starting to get engaged and they are all buying big ass 7k rings.. Far more than most of them and their 40k income can afford.

Partial
10-13-2008, 11:26 AM
Not getting engaged, just curious as to what size ring most people get. I really have no idea.Moron, save the BS. We all know you are doomed if you are asking this question.

Isnt it traditionally suppose to be about 2 months pay when it comes to buying a ring for some undeserving female (yes none of them deserve it)?

Fuck that. 2 months pay is a huge chunk of money. I think I'd be willing to guy as high as 3 grand when the time comes. This sort of thing is just not a big deal to me. I'd rather spend the extra money on the honeymoon in hawaii or italy or some cool place like that.

Partial
10-13-2008, 11:27 AM

Tipping??? It takes FIVE MINUTES to pick out a ring. Why should I be tipping on that? :wink: :D :lol:

RG see my facebook thread I have a Q for you.

SkinBasket
10-13-2008, 11:56 AM

Fuck that. 2 months pay is a huge chunk of money. I think I'd be willing to guy as high as 3 grand when the time comes. This sort of thing is just not a big deal to me. I'd rather spend the extra money on the honeymoon in hawaii or italy or some cool place like that.

Don't forget that when you order your bride, you generally have to pay the transportation costs.

Deputy Nutz
10-13-2008, 11:58 AM
First off the Diamond market is bullshit. The prices on diamonds flow against supply and demand. Don't let them fool you, there are plent of available diamonds in the world today, most of the already cut diamonds, hundreds of thousands of them are in trays in a vaults, they only release a small precentage at a time so the world believes they are more valuable than they actually are.

Besides fake diamonds, (spelling)mozinite which is man made is becoming more and more difficult for jewlers to tell the difference between man made synthetic diamonds to that of the real thing. If you keep waiting you can put a faker on her finger and she will never be able to tell the difference.

If you must purchase a diamond for an engagement ring then I must suggest that you stay the hell away from a mall jewlery store, and pretty much all other diamond and jewlery stores, go wholesale. I bought my wife's diamond at a Jewelry/diamond and household show in Rosemont Il. My wife's ring appraised at twice the price I paid for it.

oregonpackfan
10-13-2008, 11:59 AM
My wife and I were dirt poor when we got married 27 years ago. We both got plain gold wedding bands. Mine cost $65 and hers was $80.

About 5 years ago, we agreed she could buy herself a wedding ring with a reasonably sized stone. I still have no idea how many carats it is.

It is the symbolism of the ring that counts not the size of the stone, IMO.

Harlan Huckleby
10-13-2008, 01:19 PM
Any woman who needs an expensive diamond ring to feel appreciated is looking for a chump.

Send 3 goats and 6 sheep to her father in exchange for your new property, a fertile breeder.

Whatever happened to feminism? Women (for a brief period) wanted to be treated like thinking human beings, not chattel to be purchased and husbanded.

If the woman is interesting, she'll choose that you spend your money on a vacation, or at least box #2, rather than a glittering symbol of her worth.

Harlan Huckleby
10-13-2008, 01:20 PM
My wife and I were dirt poor when we got married 27 years ago. We both got plain gold wedding bands. Mine cost $65 and hers was $80. .

well, you're still dirt poor, even the $65 ring has been hocked, but you have each other. that's what matters.

LL2
10-13-2008, 01:30 PM
Go with a 1 carat ring. But most importantly you want the most flawless diamond you can afford. No cloudiness or yellow diamonds. My wife’s diamond is just a hair over 1 carat, but appears bigger because it is extremely clear and sparkles. I’ve seen diamonds on some chicks that have a little bigger stone but yellowish tint, and to me that looks like crap. The most important thing is the clarity and color. The closer your are to D in colorlessness and to FL in clarity the more expensive the stone will be, but even a .75 carat diamond that is close to D and flawless will stand out better than a yellow 1 carat plus diamond.

Scott Campbell
10-13-2008, 01:35 PM
I got 2/3rds of a carat for wife #1 back when I was 23 years old and still in school. The other 6 have to share hers.

I agree with those espousing simple. There's nothing more pretentious than a big ass ring on a dirt poor bride. It's like hanging a big neon "I'm Stupid With Money" sign on her hand.

A simple ring has one nice side benefit - built in anniversary gift opportunities. Don't know what to get her this year? Presto. A new ring.

mraynrand
10-13-2008, 01:41 PM
I got 2/3rds of a carat for wife #1 back when I was 23 years old and still in school. The other 6 have to share hers.

I agree with those espousing simple. There's nothing more pretentious than a big ass ring on a dirt poor bride. It's like hanging a big neon "I'm Stupid With Money" sign on her hand.

A simple ring has one nice side benefit - built in anniversary gift opportunities. Don't know what to get her this year? Presto. A new ring.

You're supposed to buy stuff for her on every Anniversary? Oh shit, that explains a lot.

LL2
10-13-2008, 02:01 PM

It must be nice for you to not share 6 women. What's the secret to your success?

Cheesehead Craig
10-13-2008, 02:12 PM
My wife thinks the diamond industry is corrupt is the price that's paid in human suffering isn't worth getting some glittery thing on her hand.

Like Harlan said, we used the $ we saved on rings and spent that on vacations. That was far more fun and memorable .

Partial
10-13-2008, 02:42 PM
My wife thinks the diamond industry is corrupt is the price that's paid in human suffering isn't worth getting some glittery thing on her hand.

Like Harlan said, we used the $ we saved on rings and spent that on vacations. That was far more fun and memorable .

Thats what I want to do someday as well. The lady wants to go to Italy. I want to go to Hawaii. I think we'll skimp on the ring and do both.

Cheesehead Craig
10-13-2008, 03:36 PM

Thats what I want to do someday as well. The lady wants to go to Italy. I want to go to Hawaii. I think we'll skimp on the ring and do both.

About 7 yrs ago we went to Italy for 9 days. Best. Vacation. Ever. Just learn a little Italian and you'll do just fine. Nothing like drinking wine at the top of Mt. Vesuvious.

th87
10-14-2008, 04:28 AM
Such a superfluous purchase, I think.

I met some girl who said she expects a $100,000 ring because her fiancee's a rich doctor. Made sure to let her know what I thought of that.

I could see spending money on a nice TV, a vacation, or a car. They have functionality of some sort. But a ring? What does it do? Nothing.

And since I see no functional benefit to rings whatsoever, I'd rather pump the thousands of dollars into sponsoring a child in a poor country or something.

mraynrand
10-14-2008, 01:10 PM
I'd rather pump the thousands of dollars into sponsoring a child in a poor country or something.

George Obama is available.

3irty1
10-14-2008, 01:59 PM
When I was 20 I invested for the day that I'd need to buy a ring. A year later my grandma passed on to me some meaningless diamond that had been given to her. Its 1 and 2/3 carrot but its an old fashion looking cut. If there's ever a girl who I want to buy a ring for I'll probably have that rock re-cut and have something made.