PDA

View Full Version : Improved play...or just a really bad opponent?

sharpe1027
10-13-2008, 09:56 AM
They looked good this week on both sides of the ball. My question is how much of it was due to the level of competition. Seattle has looked terrible all year and they were playing with a 3rd string QB.

I was happy to see that the D-line was getting pressure for the first time since the loss of Jenkins. My hope is that it was a sign of improvement and not just the state of Seattle's OL. I don't know though.

The running game didn't look good to me. Sure we ran a ton of times, but the per-carry was bad, and Seattle has been gashed by the run this year. I think that Hall's return helped, but it still seemed like tough going on the ground.

Our DBs have been outstanding when you consider how many backups have been playing and starting. I was on the fire Schotty bandwagon from the start, but all the guys have played like they have been prepared even when they were the 3rd or 4th string guys.

OL had decent protection and opened a few holes for Grant, but they don't seem to be able to be able to get anyone free for the key blocks at the second level of LBs and DBs.

Other than the one fumble, Rodgers showed the best feel for the pressure I've seen from him. Numerous times he made little movements in the pocket to get away from pressure while he kept his eyes down field the whole time. His ability to roll out and find a WR consistently kept drives going. His deep pass to Jennings was a great throw.

Grant ran hard. He missed a couple nice holes, but overall seemed to find some creases. He still has not broke a big gain all year.

WRs look very good. Jennings, stud, nuh said. Driver is starting to lose out to the rest of the guys, but he still shows up for some key catches. Jordy had one of his best games and was able to find some openings in the coverage.

Do we even have any TEs that run pass routes?

sheepshead
10-13-2008, 10:00 AM
I was thinking the same thing about the TE's yesterday. A missing piece these days for sure.

wist43
10-13-2008, 10:19 AM
Bad opponent...

Beyond the fact that Seattle is a shell of its former self, and they had to start Charlie Frye, they are every bit as much a finesse team as the Packers.

Seattle is one of the few teams in the NFL that the Packers can actually line up toe-to-toe with and not get shoved all over the field.

In boxing, they say that "styles make fights", i.e. the boxer vs the slugger... in this game, it was butterfly vs butterfly... don't read much into it.

Bossman641
10-13-2008, 11:07 AM
I'd say the play was improved from the past couple weeks, but a LOT of that is due to how bad the Seahawks are.

The running game still has a long ways to go. I keep waiting for Grant to bust off a long run, but instead it's 1-2 yards everytime.

I'm hoping we can somehow get to the bye week at 4-3, get some of these injured players healed up, and go from there.

A win is a win, especially after 3 straight losses. Congratulatory handshakes all around.

The Shadow
10-13-2008, 11:31 AM
Both.
The team is trying to get past injuries at the moment.

The Shadow
10-13-2008, 11:58 AM
Still a young team, learning on the go.

Packgator
10-13-2008, 01:02 PM
Progress. Any win is a good win.......especially on the road and ending a three game losing streak.

Harlan Huckleby
10-13-2008, 01:03 PM
Bad opponent, and they needed it to start building some rhythm.

rbaloha1
10-13-2008, 01:15 PM
Agree. Improved play and bad opponent.

RG appears to have his legs back. The cutback lanes were available. RG either missed them or chose to pick the holes the plays were designed for.

Waiting for J. Finley to stretch the deep middle. Concerned about the nickle and dime corners against Indy.

Pugger
10-13-2008, 01:18 PM
Seattle may be beat up - especially on O - but so are we. I say any time you can win ON THE ROAD you don't have to apologize. :wink:

LL2
10-13-2008, 01:20 PM
They won against a bad team. The running game is atrocious! Grant just seemed to continuously run into a pile of players. I’m not that good at catching the details, but where is his 1-cut ability?

GB will have to dramatically raise their level of play to beat the Colts this weekend.

Harlan Huckleby
10-13-2008, 01:23 PM
RG appears to have his legs back.

I think retail guy is still a little staggered over all the shit he took recently.

pbmax
10-13-2008, 01:44 PM
Seattle has run well against some reasonable competition, so the 4 yards per certainly looks better than the Packers last 3 defensive efforts. But mostly I agree with the premise; this is a team we should have beaten by double digits. For that reason, its a good sign.

TennesseePackerBacker
10-13-2008, 01:45 PM
They won against a bad team. The running game is atrocious! Grant just seemed to continuously run into a pile of players. I’m not that good at catching the details, but where is his 1-cut ability?

GB will have to dramatically raise their level of play to beat the Colts this weekend.

Sometimes Vegas gives away the outcome of games with their setting of lines. The fact the Packers opened as favorites, and 80% of the betting public has already laid money on the Colts, there are good chances of a straight-up win for the Packers. Vegas doesnt give out Christmas presents, and with over 80 percent of the action on one side the normal gamblers axiom is to go the other way. Don't be surprised if the Pack pulls out a victory here.

packerbacker1234
10-13-2008, 07:29 PM
They looked good this week on both sides of the ball. My question is how much of it was due to the level of competition. Seattle has looked terrible all year and they were playing with a 3rd string QB.

I was happy to see that the D-line was getting pressure for the first time since the loss of Jenkins. My hope is that it was a sign of improvement and not just the state of Seattle's OL. I don't know though.

The running game didn't look good to me. Sure we ran a ton of times, but the per-carry was bad, and Seattle has been gashed by the run this year. I think that Hall's return helped, but it still seemed like tough going on the ground.

Our DBs have been outstanding when you consider how many backups have been playing and starting. I was on the fire Schotty bandwagon from the start, but all the guys have played like they have been prepared even when they were the 3rd or 4th string guys.

OL had decent protection and opened a few holes for Grant, but they don't seem to be able to be able to get anyone free for the key blocks at the second level of LBs and DBs.

Other than the one fumble, Rodgers showed the best feel for the pressure I've seen from him. Numerous times he made little movements in the pocket to get away from pressure while he kept his eyes down field the whole time. His ability to roll out and find a WR consistently kept drives going. His deep pass to Jennings was a great throw.

Grant ran hard. He missed a couple nice holes, but overall seemed to find some creases. He still has not broke a big gain all year.

WRs look very good. Jennings, stud, nuh said. Driver is starting to lose out to the rest of the guys, but he still shows up for some key catches. Jordy had one of his best games and was able to find some openings in the coverage.

Do we even have any TEs that run pass routes?

1. Seahawks may be the worst team in the NFL, yes, that includes the Rams.

2. We only won by 10. I don't think that is very impressive, considering the opponent. AND AR played well. Sorry, thats not good enough.

Individuals looked better, but they were a crappy opponent. a CRAPPY ONE, and we still could not blow them out.

texaspackerbacker
10-13-2008, 07:38 PM

Sometimes Vegas gives away the outcome of games with their setting of lines. The fact the Packers opened as favorites, and 80% of the betting public has already laid money on the Colts, there are good chances of a straight-up win for the Packers. Vegas doesnt give out Christmas presents, and with over 80 percent of the action on one side the normal gamblers axiom is to go the other way. Don't be surprised if the Pack pulls out a victory here.

So that means the fix is in--Peyton's gonna toss a few crucial picks our way?

That's too bad. I think we coulda beat 'em without the Vegas help ...... but like the man said, any win is a good win.

bobblehead
10-13-2008, 08:17 PM

we call it a trap game, all the money will be on indy, and the pack will win by 7.....I hope!!!

bobblehead
10-13-2008, 08:20 PM

That's too bad. I think we coulda beat 'em without the Vegas help ...... but like the man said, any win is a good win.

Not a fix, just that the public perception of these two teams is off base. Vegas WANTS the money on Indy....the linesmakers believe the pack will win this game strong. Again, we call it a trap game. If they really wanted the money to lay evenly (the normal goal) the line would be 3 1/2. They want money on indy as they believe very strongly the public has the wrong perception of these two teams.

DonHutson
10-13-2008, 08:25 PM
Didn't they only have five penalties? That's a vast improvement that has nothing to do with the opponent.

FavreChild
10-13-2008, 08:28 PM
The penalty situation was the biggest improvement in my mind as well.

Fritz
10-13-2008, 08:36 PM
I dont' know what to think of this edition of the Packers. They kinda seem finesse, as Bretsky noted, but maybe when Bigby gets back and if Harrell can hold up and produce, that'll change.

TennesseePackerBacker
10-13-2008, 09:49 PM

Not a fix, just that the public perception of these two teams is off base. Vegas WANTS the money on Indy....the linesmakers believe the pack will win this game strong. Again, we call it a trap game. If they really wanted the money to lay evenly (the normal goal) the line would be 3 1/2. They want money on indy as they believe very strongly the public has the wrong perception of these two teams.

Exactly, thanks for clearing that up.

gbgary
10-13-2008, 09:58 PM
Improved play...or just a really bad opponent?

yes!! :)

sharpe1027
10-14-2008, 09:57 AM
Where do you get the stat that 80% of the betting public has money on the Colts? I find it highly unlikely given that Vegas always wins if they get even bets on both sides. Why would they take a risk when they can get guaranteed money? The Colts have struggled lately, my guess is that alot of people were betting on the Packers up until this weeks performance.

DonHutson
10-14-2008, 10:08 AM
I dont' know what to think of this edition of the Packers. They kinda seem finesse, as Bretsky noted, but maybe when Bigby gets back and if Harrell can hold up and produce, that'll change.

Agreed. I think the excessive snap counts Pickett and Jolly have been taking on aren't helping either. If they're wearing down they aren't keeping blockers off Barnett and Hawk, which limits the punishment they can dish out. Hawk's gimpy groin seems to be limiting him in that department as well.

Also KGB and Jeremy Thompson are going to be less physical than Cullen Jenkins was. Montgomery might offer an upgrade there, but that's not a huge strong suit of his either. Jenkins is a big loss as far as setting a physical tone to a game.

3irty1
10-14-2008, 11:04 AM
Where do you get the stat that 80% of the betting public has money on the Colts? I find it highly unlikely given that Vegas always wins if they get even bets on both sides. Why would they take a risk when they can get guaranteed money? The Colts have struggled lately, my guess is that alot of people were betting on the Packers up until this weeks performance.

I guess the 20% betting on the Packers are just putting down 4x more money!

sharpe1027
10-14-2008, 11:10 AM

I guess the 20% betting on the Packers are just putting down 4x more money!

:lol:

SnakeLH2006
10-15-2008, 01:54 AM
We are poor and it will now take 10 wins to get into postseason NFC with Detroit going 2-14. We are poor unless Grant/Oline/D-line really goes balls out....I don't have confidence in any of the 3 right now. 9-7 best and doesn't get us into the postseason.

packerbacker1234
10-15-2008, 07:03 PM
Don't care, I stand by my statements. The packers did not look impressive to me. Sure, certain individuals stood out - but as a team it was a bad day at the office. How do you only beat one of the worst teams in the NFL by only 10 points, without their starting QB? I mean, seriously. It should of been at least two td's.

I am really worried we wont be able to beat quality opponents, as our three wins are all against teams that are not quality (minnesota not withstanding, as they changed QB's sense they played us).