PDA

View Full Version : Romo Out 4 Weeks

Chevelle2
10-13-2008, 10:41 AM
ESPN TV

Broken Pinky

I guess the Brett comparisons can stop now.

MadtownPacker
10-13-2008, 10:44 AM
WTF???? Seriously? Shoot. forget Favre, dont even compare Romo to ARod!

That's lame, oh BTW- goodbye playoff dreams cowpukes!!!

Charles Woodson
10-13-2008, 11:05 AM
Source: Romo to miss four weeks with broken pinkie

ESPN.com

Updated: October 13, 2008, 11:52 AM ET

Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo has a broken pinkie on his throwing hand and will be out four weeks, a team source told ESPN's Michael Smith.

Romo initially was diagnosed with a pinkie sprain in Sunday's 30-24 overtime loss to the Arizona Cardinals.

Veteran quarterback Brad Johnson, the Cowboys' holder on kicks, is Romo's backup.

The Cowboys have lost two of their last three games after starting the season 3-0.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3640890

sheepshead
10-13-2008, 11:13 AM
Simpson crossed her legs.

SkinBasket
10-13-2008, 11:54 AM

ZING!

packers11
10-13-2008, 11:58 AM
wait. can someone refresh me... I thought you could play on broken fingers?

Didn't Favre play with a broken thumb (on his throwing hand) or was it just badly sprained?

Jimx29
10-13-2008, 12:02 PM
Simpson crossed her legs.I heard that someone punched him in the beak :?

mmmdk
10-13-2008, 12:30 PM
ESPN TV

Broken Pinky

I guess the Brett comparisons can stop now.

What? Does so! Romo throws bad interceptions & chokes in playoffs too! :lol:

Romo's just not kryptonite.

pbmax
10-13-2008, 12:40 PM
There was a college player just a couple of weeks ago that had that thing amputated so he could play. What does Romo need with his pinky? Ask Larry McCarren or Brian Baldinger. It just might interfere with his shocker though.

pbmax
10-13-2008, 12:41 PM
And once again, everyone who predicted the Cowboys as the class of the NFC look foolish. Clearly its the Rams. :lol:

Cheesehead Craig
10-13-2008, 01:12 PM
I was thinking she didn't like "The Shocker"

Gunakor
10-13-2008, 01:18 PM

Didn't Favre play with a broken thumb (on his throwing hand) or was it just badly sprained?

It was a fracture just below the thumbnail on Favre's throwing hand. It might be a little bit different with it being a pinkie finger - they'd have to brace it with his ring finger and that might impact not only his grip on the ball but also the flight of the ball as well (The ball rolls off your fingers as it leaves your hand - a brace/splint on your fingers might cause the ball to come out funny whereas a brace on your thumb might only affect your grip). I don't know for certain, but that would make sense to me.

Or maybe it's because Romo isn't Favre. Nobody has ever been Favre except Favre, and I doubt anyone ever will be again. Like I said in another thread, Favre has played through injuries that 99% of NFL QB's would have been deactivated for until they healed.

gbgary
10-13-2008, 02:09 PM

:rs:

Fosco33
10-13-2008, 02:33 PM

It was a fracture just below the thumbnail on Favre's throwing hand. It might be a little bit different with it being a pinkie finger - they'd have to brace it with his ring finger and that might impact not only his grip on the ball but also the flight of the ball as well (The ball rolls off your fingers as it leaves your hand - a brace/splint on your fingers might cause the ball to come out funny whereas a brace on your thumb might only affect your grip). I don't know for certain, but that would make sense to me.

Or maybe it's because Romo isn't Favre. Nobody has ever been Favre except Favre, and I doubt anyone ever will be again. Like I said in another thread, Favre has played through injuries that 99% of NFL QB's would have been deactivated for until they healed.

I think one of Favre's self-admitted worst injuries was when he sprained his thumb in '99 during the last preseason game at Camp Randall (I was a frosh at UW and made it to the game).

On breaking his thumb in '03, one of my all-time favorite Favre quotes, "I don't see any reason why I shouldn't be playing," Favre said. "I always figured if the bone wasn't sticking out of the skin, you could play. That's what they made tape for.

"Maybe I'm different. But I feel like I should play."

Dabaddestbear
10-13-2008, 04:19 PM
The NFC just became more wide open. :twisted:

Badgerinmaine
10-13-2008, 06:54 PM
Tough break (no pun intended). That's one heckuva unforgiving division they're in, too. The one good thing for Dallas is that the fourth week is a bye...well, that and they play the Rams next. They then come home to play the Bucs, and then play the Giants on the road...ouch.

packerbacker1234
10-13-2008, 07:06 PM

Normally, you don't play with a broken thumb on your throwing hand - normally it hurts too much, or the strength isn't there, to grip the football. Favre did play well with a broken thumb, but he seems impervious to pain (could be from all those pain killers he took in the 90's). He did have a lot of fumbles though, so it did have an effect.

In this case, it's the PINKY. THe ball rolls off the pinky as you throw it, but it has little to do with the grip. Honestly, Romo just needs to take some tylenol, where a splint, and get on the field. A broken pinky is weak stuff. Broken index, thumb, or wring finger I could see resting. Pinky?

Come on.

hoosier
10-13-2008, 07:07 PM
More like the Giants just got another leg up on the rest of the NFC competition.

CaliforniaCheez
10-13-2008, 07:09 PM
It was a fracture just below the thumbnail on Favre's throwing hand.

Or maybe it's because Romo isn't Favre. Nobody has ever been Favre except Favre, and I doubt anyone ever will be again. Like I said in another thread, Favre has played through injuries that 99% of NFL QB's would have been deactivated for until they healed.[/quote]

I think one of Favre's self-admitted worst injuries was when he sprained his thumb in '99 during the last preseason game at Camp Randall (I was a frosh at UW and made it to the game).

On breaking his thumb in '03, one of my all-time favorite Favre quotes, "I don't see any reason why I shouldn't be playing," Favre said. "I always figured if the bone wasn't sticking out of the skin, you could play. That's what they made tape for.

"Maybe I'm different. But I feel like I should play."[/quote]

You have to like what Brett did. It was leadership to other players. Many players would play hurt due the example of Brett.

This Romo guy will play or be considered a wimp.

packerbacker1234
10-13-2008, 07:23 PM
It was a fracture just below the thumbnail on Favre's throwing hand.

"Maybe I'm different. But I feel like I should play."[/quote]

You have to like what Brett did. It was leadership to other players. Many players would play hurt due the example of Brett.

This Romo guy will play or be considered a wimp.[/quote]

No one is Favre - no matter what you want to think. While I did like his quote that if nothing was sticking out you play the game... but be honest about it, people sit out with wimpier injuries then this. Favre was a guy who loved the game, and as has shown over time, is someone that will have to dragged off the field if you don't want him in there. He's the only true Iron Man to play QB.

You know whats ironic - I don't recall Peyton Manning ever missing a start (2nd all time behind favre in consecutive starts), but no one every talks him as being an iron man. Dunno, maybe the fact he is never touched has something to do with it. Oh, and a all probowl Offense.

bobblehead
10-13-2008, 08:32 PM
while I support favre for being a tough sob and am not a hater.....I would point out he played for shit when that thumb was broken.

Fritz
10-13-2008, 08:49 PM
My favorite memory...a few years back...Shermy era....Favre got knocked silly, just before thehalf. Left for one play. Came back in and apparenty Shermy didn't even know it....and Favre threw a t.d. pass.

Tough. I didn't like how he handled this retirement/nonretirement stuff, but the guy is tough. Ya gotta like that.

Partial
10-13-2008, 08:53 PM
Peyton Manning is an iron man too. Both guys are just beasts. Brady was up there too before his ACL tear. All three are tough as nails.

Gunakor
10-13-2008, 09:19 PM
My favorite memory...a few years back...Shermy era....Favre got knocked silly, just before thehalf. Left for one play. Came back in and apparenty Shermy didn't even know it....and Favre threw a t.d. pass.

Tough. I didn't like how he handled this retirement/nonretirement stuff, but the guy is tough. Ya gotta like that.

I remember that one. The medical staff hadn't cleared him either. He said later that he couldn't see very well yet, so he just heaved one up to where his reciever was supposed to be. Javon Walker made a great play for him on that one too.

mmmdk
10-13-2008, 10:24 PM

True guts by Favre; it was a 14-7 loss vs Giants at Lambeau.

Fosco33
10-13-2008, 10:28 PM

True guts by Favre; it was a 14-7 loss vs Giants at Lambeau.

If I recall, that TD was sorta Favre keeping his consecutive games with a TD pass steak alive...

Oh, and in '03, after the injury - Favre won 7 of 9 games to make the playoffs and had arguably his best half of football EVER vs. the Raiders (MNF).

MadtownPacker
10-14-2008, 10:27 AM
while I support favre for being a tough sob and am not a hater.....I would point out he played for shit when that thumb was broken.You do know he led the NFL with 32 TD passes that season right?

HarveyWallbangers
10-14-2008, 10:51 AM
Peyton Manning is an iron man too. Both guys are just beasts. Brady was up there too before his ACL tear. All three are tough as nails.

I respect Peyton, but I don't look at him as an Iron Man. He's more like Dan Marino most of his career. He has a quick release and seldom gets hit hard. Not like Favre does. Also, his knowledge pre-snap helps him avoid taking big hits. Even if Manning were to break Favre's record, it wouldn't be nearly as impressive with the way each guy has played the game.

MOBB DEEP
10-14-2008, 07:05 PM
he and felix jones should sleep in TOs hyper chamber

texaspackerbacker
10-14-2008, 08:04 PM
Like a lot of players--specifically, like Brett Favre, Romo had a whole lot of positives and a few distinct negatives. This season, he seemed to be getting increasingly carried away with his own infallibility. That resulted in some carelessness in taking care of the ball, both carrying it and passing it.

He might have needed a little time off ......... probably not four weeks, though.

mraynrand
10-14-2008, 08:27 PM
while I support favre for being a tough sob and am not a hater.....I would point out he played for shit when that thumb was broken.

That's not true. Not even close to true. He played very well, including the first game after breaking the thumb, a win at Minnesota. The Packers were 7-2 after the break, including huge wins over San Diego on the road and the MNF win over Oakland after Irv died. The thumb was a bit of a problem in a MNF game loss to Philly in the rain. But Ahman Green fumbling was much worse.

Favre played extremely well in three halves of post season play, and then struggled in the second half of the 4th and 26 loss to Philly.

mraynrand
10-14-2008, 08:29 PM

I was at that game. he was just going nuts on the sideline. They kinda had to restrain him from going back out on the field later in that game. He had no idea where he was.

SnakeLH2006
10-15-2008, 01:51 AM
Too bad for Romo...seems like a good guy though. Good for us though!

Patler
10-15-2008, 08:36 AM
while I support favre for being a tough sob and am not a hater.....I would point out he played for shit when that thumb was broken.You do know he led the NFL with 32 TD passes that season right?

I think people confuse the year he broke his thumb, which was just a hairline fracture, and detected only because it swelled so they x-rayed it, with the year he damaged ligaments in his thumb. They said the fracture was painful, but didn't affect his gripping strength or ability to throw after adapting to the tape/splint they used for protection. Several years earlier ('99 I think) he damaged ligaments in his thumb, which did affect his grip and lead to one of his poorer seasons. Lots of yards, but more INTs than TDs, so a low QB rating.

Fosco33
10-15-2008, 12:35 PM

I think people confuse the year he broke his thumb, which was just a hairline fracture, and detected only because it swelled so they x-rayed it, with the year he damaged ligaments in his thumb. They said the fracture was painful, but didn't affect his gripping strength or ability to throw after adapting to the tape/splint they used for protection. Several years earlier ('99 I think) he damaged ligaments in his thumb, which did affect his grip and lead to one of his poorer seasons. Lots of yards, but more INTs than TDs, so a low QB rating.

Agreed - see my above post (I was at the Camp Randall game when he hurt his thumb in '99).

http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2003/10/21/2/

"Sometimes a sprain, strains, whatever, can actually be worse than broken bones," Favre said. "Is this one of those cases? I don't know. I feel like this is not as bad (as '99). It's only two days removed from this game and I don't feel it's as bad as that year, even though it wasn't broken then."

The location of the injury plays into Favre's confidence.

While the thumb sprain in '99 was near the base of his thumb, this injury is above the top knuckle, near the base of the thumbnail. In Favre's thinking, that leaves him without a fingertip, rather than an entire finger.

"At least here I have half a thumb," Favre said. "Then, I had no thumb."

Although he passed for 4,091 yards that season, looking back, Favre admitted Tuesday that he probably should have sat out with his injury in 1999. Had he done so, his consecutive starts streak would not be quite as illustrious as it is today.