PDA

View Full Version : Al Harris updated : GOOD NEWS !

packers11
10-13-2008, 03:14 PM
Packers CB Al Harris has reportedly healed "amazingly well" from his lacerated spleen and could play after the team's Week 8 bye.

Tramon Williams has taken Harris' place and made some big plays, but has also been picked on. Harris won't face Indy in Week 7, but could play in Week 9 at Tennessee. His return would be great news for the Packers' defense.

Source: National Football Post

Tony Oday
10-13-2008, 03:31 PM
It should say, "His return at full strength."

I would love him to be back but not if there is a chance he can reinjure that and have something REAL serious happen...

Gunakor
10-13-2008, 03:32 PM
As long as he's good to go, this is excellent news. T-Will has performed brilliantly in his place, but Blackmon and Lee have struggled in T-Will's place. Having Harris AND T-Will on the field will be a huge boost to our secondary. I don't want to rush this one though. Internal injuries are nothing to mess around with. They better be damn certain he's good to go before putting him out there.

3irty1
10-13-2008, 03:35 PM
Harris has always been an iron man. It would be great to have him back fresh.

HarveyWallbangers
10-13-2008, 03:50 PM
I'm not sure Tramon has been "picked on." He's had some passes thrown his way, but it doesn't seem to be an inordinate amount.

Gunakor
10-13-2008, 03:53 PM
I'm not sure Tramon has been "picked on." He's had some passes thrown his way, but it doesn't seem to be an inordinate amount.

Maybe just compared to Al. QB's didn't usually throw at Al. Tramon has been picked on far more than the guy he's filling in for, and that might have a little bit to do with why T-Will has 2 INT's already vs. Harris who isn't a big INT guy.

HarveyWallbangers
10-13-2008, 03:56 PM
Maybe just compared to Al. QB's didn't usually throw at Al. Tramon has been picked on far more than the guy he's filling in for, and that might have a little bit to do with why T-Will has 2 INT's already vs. Harris who isn't a big INT guy.

Tramon already has 3 picks. He has some good natural ball skills.

Tarlam!
10-13-2008, 03:59 PM
What Gunakor said. Good post Gun.

Gunakor
10-13-2008, 03:59 PM

Agreed. Didn't realize he had 3 already. My point was that QB's don't throw at the WR that Al is covering, so Al isn't going to have tremendous INT totals. He isn't being given as many INT opportunities as T-Will. He's that good.

HarveyWallbangers
10-13-2008, 04:10 PM
Agreed. Didn't realize he had 3 already. My point was that QB's don't throw at the WR that Al is covering, so Al isn't going to have tremendous INT totals. He isn't being given as many INT opportunities as T-Will. He's that good.

Some QBs have thrown at Al (Romo, Manning), and I think he was exposed a bit. He can lock up average receivers like nobody's business, but he doesn't have great ball skills, so good QB-WR combinations will throw on him.

Charles Woodson
10-13-2008, 04:10 PM
So interesting question
When Harris comes back does he stay at the top corner slot, or does woodson stay there?

Joemailman
10-13-2008, 04:12 PM
At this point, I think it's an open question whether Al is better than Tramon. At any rate, getting Al back would greatly strengthen the nickle back position.

TheCheese
10-13-2008, 04:13 PM
So interesting question
When Harris comes back does he stay at the top corner slot, or does woodson stay there?

You gotta go with Woodson. This is best cornerback play I have seen in the NFL in a long time. Dude is having a crazy season, even on a broken Toe.

3irty1
10-13-2008, 04:16 PM
So interesting question

I think its Al's job to lose. As long as Al is playing solid Woodson gets more opportunities to do what he does best--make plays.

Tony Oday
10-13-2008, 04:20 PM
I think Al will come back as the nickle to ease him back in and then "see where he is at" aka can he still cover as well as williams and if not he can use the injury as a scapegoat so as not to lose face or rep, which does help a CB.

falco
10-13-2008, 04:23 PM
al who? :?:

BobDobbs
10-13-2008, 04:50 PM

I think it is a little bit of a mixture. Harris is definitely strong at man to man and he is a shutdown cornerback. But he doesn't have the overall awareness and instinct than Wood and Will show.

Two of Woodson's interceptions this year he has followed a receiver through his zone then released him and jumped a pattern to pick it. Williams pick against Atlanta he was recovering from another corner's mistake. That wasn't even his guy.

Basically, I think that Al's INT totals are down because of tight coverage, but also because of a lack of ball skills. It's just not his strength.

sharpe1027
10-13-2008, 05:44 PM
So interesting question

Does it really matter? They play almost entirely man D so they are able to move them around for good matchups anyway. Put Al on the guy who needs to get shoved around at the line and Woodson on the other. Call either of them the top corner slot and be happy we three stud CBs. :)

Scott Campbell
10-13-2008, 05:46 PM
Come on Al. Rub some dirt on it and let's go.

Pugger
10-13-2008, 06:26 PM
Boy, isn't it nice to get some GOOD news from 1265? :D I think the guys have missed Al's leadership more than anything else.

Badgerinmaine
10-13-2008, 06:45 PM
Boy, isn't it nice to get some GOOD news from 1265? :D I think the guys have missed Al's leadership more than anything else.
Amen!

Harlan Huckleby
10-13-2008, 06:53 PM
Packers CB Al Harris has reportedly healed "amazingly well"

coincidentally, that is how his replacement has played.

MJZiggy
10-13-2008, 07:11 PM
I'm on with the ease him back in by way of the nickelback slot. While it's great to see him healing well, the last thing I want is to see him rupture the damn thing and lose it because he rushed things.

packerbacker1234
10-13-2008, 07:12 PM

Some QBs have thrown at Al (Romo, Manning), and I think he was exposed a bit. He can lock up average receivers like nobody's business, but he doesn't have great ball skills, so good QB-WR combinations will throw on him.

Exposed? It's not that he was exposed, it's that he had a bad game. The fact that 14 of the 16 weeks of a season teams usually don't throw at Al's guy is most likely because Al's guy has zero window to catch the ball. Woodson has some good Int numbers since being a packer, because teams would rather throw to his wr then Al's. That says something, because last I checked Woodson is pretty damn good.

That Dallas game I think the reason Harris looked bad came down to the tone set by the refs early. Harris clearly rips the ball out of TO's hands coming down, has full possession plus like 5 steps, and is pulled out of bounds, but somehow the ball ended up being a catch for TO.

And, we all know about the Giants. That wasn't him being exposed, that was the WR making one hell of a catch after another. Manning with that WR core cna make any of the best CB's look silly (that is, if you don't get pressure on him. Manning is one of the worst QB's when he has pressure on him).

falco
10-13-2008, 07:12 PM
As the man who claimed T-Will to be our next savior, even I will admit that if Harris comes back healthy he will be the starter... i even think he will be the starter next year, although I think it will start to get "fuzzy" - i.e., he's the starter in name but there are a lot of little "substitutions" going on to keep people fresh...

i hope t-will gets a new contract this year, but it may not be until next

packerbacker1234
10-13-2008, 07:15 PM
As the man who claimed T-Will to be our next savior, even I will admit that if Harris comes back healthy he will be the starter... i even think he will be the starter next year, although I think it will start to get "fuzzy" - i.e., he's the starter in name but there are a lot of little "substitutions" going on to keep people fresh...

he'll be the starter coming back, but he'll have to earn that spot next season for sure, unless woodson is traded or released (doubtful, I would think).

Still, next season it wouldn't surprise me to see one of hte two starting Cb's roles up for grabs, and if Harris wins it outright then that is what he did. He'll be in on every snap like usual if that is the case.

Besides, Williams I don't think is going anywhere soon. I think he realizes he is a future long term starter for this team - you don't get that type of assurance changing teams before even one fulls eason of starting is under your belt.

BF4MVP
10-13-2008, 07:58 PM
Williams has played extremely well..Much better than I would have anticipated. But Harris' return definitely helps, because I have a problem with the play of the nickel and dime corners..Having Tramon as the nickel back will help a lot.

Gunakor
10-13-2008, 09:10 PM
Packers CB Al Harris has reportedly healed "amazingly well"

coincidentally, that is how his replacement has played.

But his replacement's replacement has played not so well. I don't think that's a reason to rush things, but if Al's healthy he has to play. I'd rather not see #27 in on defense for more than a couple plays a game.

GoPackGo
10-21-2008, 09:05 PM
Harris is ready to go :)

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20081021/PKR01/81021161/1057/PKR&located=RSS

Notebook: 'I'm ready to go,' Harris says
By Rob Demovsky • rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com • October 21, 2008

Cornerback Al Harris believes he will be able to handle his regular workload as a starter even though he has missed the last four games with a spleen injury.

The Green Bay Packers likely will have Harris back on the practice field on Monday when they return from their bye weekend. If Harris makes it through the week of practice, he is expected to play Nov. 2 against the Tennessee Titans.

“I’m ready to go,” Harris said Tuesday. “I’m in shape. I’ve just got to wait and see.”

The Packers have not declared how they plan to use Harris, assuming he is cleared to return next week. Given how well Tramon Williams has played in his place, the Packers might be inclined to ease Harris into the rotation perhaps by putting him in Williams’ old role as the nickel or No. 3 cornerback.

“He needs to be cleared first medically,” coach Mike McCarthy said. “Once we get over that first hurdle and as we get through a week of practice, that will probably answer (whether Harris will start).”

In his first locker room interview since he partially tore his spleen on Sept. 21 against Dallas, Harris said he would be willing to accept whatever role the coaches had in mind.

“However they want to use me,” Harris said, “that’s up to them, totally.”

Harris initially thought he sustained a rib injury when he collided with linebacker A.J. Hawk during the Dallas game but knew something more serious was wrong when he noticed blood in his urine.

He returned to practice on a limited basis last week and took part in some individual drills and worked out with the strength and conditioning coaches on the side. Immediately after the injury, he could do nothing — “absolutely nothing,” he said — for one week.

“There’s no treatment for it,” Harris said. “Your body has to heal on its own when it comes to an injury like that.”

After a week, he began some lightweight lifting and conditioning on stationary equipment but he could not run because he said he “couldn’t do anything to shake up your insides.”

Harris said he planned to remain in Green Bay during the bye week.

SnakeLH2006
10-22-2008, 01:12 AM
Al's done. I like Al as a player, but T-Will is doing VERY well and 10 years his former. I'm glad Al is healthy as I love my spleen, but this injury has given us a much younger/cheaper alternative to Al. See my latest topic.

bobblehead
10-22-2008, 06:52 AM

Al also disrupts timing...reciever NEVER get off the line clean and that messes up the route running and timing with the reciever....he usually isn't where the QB expects him to be thus al doesn't get thrown at much.

bobblehead
10-22-2008, 07:04 AM
I'm on with the ease him back in by way of the nickelback slot. While it's great to see him healing well, the last thing I want is to see him rupture the damn thing and lose it because he rushed things.

I don't think you ease him in even if there is ANY chance of rupturing it.....either he is healthy enough to play NFL football or he is not. If we do start him back at nickel it is only to shake the rust off (and because TWill has given us that option).

Freak Out
10-27-2008, 07:04 PM
It sounds like both Al and Atari were back on the practice field today and should play against the Titans. Al in a limited role if the doctors give him the green light. Just in time the second half run!

retailguy
10-27-2008, 08:05 PM

Yes, you were right. And, practically the only one who got it right. I wasn't a believer, but he has played VERY well. I am impressed. He's learned from two great corners and it shows.

Tony Oday
10-28-2008, 03:25 PM

Yes, you were right. And, practically the only one who got it right. I wasn't a believer, but he has played VERY well. I am impressed. He's learned from two great corners and it shows.

T Will sucks. Brett Favre can do it better...

hehe

MOBB DEEP
10-29-2008, 10:28 AM

T Will sucks. Brett Favre can do it better...

hehe

hehe2

texaspackerbacker
10-29-2008, 02:01 PM
Al's done. I like Al as a player, but T-Will is doing VERY well and 10 years his former. I'm glad Al is healthy as I love my spleen, but this injury has given us a much younger/cheaper alternative to Al. See my latest topic.

You can never have too many good Corners.

CaliforniaCheez
10-29-2008, 02:41 PM
A little bit of dime or nickel will help him get back up to speed, and let a little more healing take place than battling every play.

There are a couple of bigger games than this week and Al might be a little rusty the first half against the Titans.