PDA

View Full Version : Next pleasant surprise?

3irty1
10-13-2008, 06:26 PM
Last season we had Atari Bigby, Ryan Grant, and Donald Lee all contributed to the point where it wouldn't shock you if you saw someone wearing their jersey. This year I think you can add Tramon Williams and Nick Collins to the list.

Whose light goes on next?

Fred's Slacks
10-13-2008, 06:38 PM
I am voting for Jordy Nelson. He's already made strides and looks like he has a bright future. I hope its Harrell though. We really need help on the DLine for any chance at a deep playoff run. I know, we need more than that but I think we have the guys in other places if they would just step up (Grant and Clifton specifically). We need another DLineman.

Harlan Huckleby
10-13-2008, 06:55 PM
anybody who doesn't vote for Justin Harrell is a traitor to the cause.

the packers need him to come through like they need oxygen.

CaliforniaCheez
10-13-2008, 06:59 PM
The final standings at this point are most dependent on 2 players.

Rodgers and Harrell.

Harrell playing like a rested and fresh hard charging 1st round pick would be great.

If he removes all doubts that he is a bust then the season will go down in flames.

Harrell is in the spotlight and under the microscope whether he likes it or not. His future in Green Bay is most likely on the line. We can only hope he passes the test.

RashanGary
10-13-2008, 07:07 PM
As a long shot type player, I think Desmond Bishop could be a guy who rises from obscurity the way Tramon did. It just so happens he's stuck behind the overrated 36 million dollar man (maybe TT's worst decision as GM)

RashanGary
10-13-2008, 07:10 PM
Maybe not this year, but I also think Josh Sitton has a chance to be a staple of the Packer offense for years to come.

falco
10-13-2008, 07:10 PM
As a long shot type player, I think Desmond Bishop could be a guy who rises from obscurity the way Tramon did. It just so happens he's stuck behind the overrated 36 million dollar man (maybe TT's worst decision as GM)

were you saying that last year though?

RashanGary
10-13-2008, 07:15 PM
No, I wasn't. I've never been a big Barnett fan but I think he's OK and I thought he might have gotten a little better. Now that we have a guy I think plays better and he hasn't improved at all, I'm not as happy to be paying him. I think TT should have more forsight than me so even though I wasn't all over the mistake to start with I still hold TT to the standard that he should have known.

falco
10-13-2008, 07:17 PM
No, I wasn't. I've never been a big Barnett fan but I think he's OK and I thought he might have gotten a little better. Now that we have a guy I think plays better and he hasn't improved at all, I'm not as happy to be paying him. I think TT should have more forsight than me so even though I wasn't all over the mistake to start with I still hold TT to the standard that he should have known.

you're a tough critic

i don't judge TT for keeping him, since I think he earned his contract...the question is how he handles it going forward

i'm high on bishop too, but i remember the game where hodge came in for barnett and we saw how badly we needed him (vs seattle in 06 I think).

BF4MVP
10-13-2008, 08:15 PM
I'm really hoping it's Harrell..Our defensive line needs help badly..

Blackmon is explosive and I hope he breaks a couple more returns..

bobblehead
10-13-2008, 08:23 PM
I'll stick with the two guys I was on preseason especially since we really need one of them to play big....montgomery and college. I think college is improving still, and I'm praying monty will come along with the starting role.

DonHutson
10-13-2008, 08:28 PM
Blackmon is already a hero as a return man. He's a long way away as a DB.

Nelson has the best mix of talent and opportunity.

Fritz
10-13-2008, 08:40 PM
The question wasn't who do you hope will - it was who do you think will.

I think Ryan Grant is struggling to find the cutbacks. And I think Brandon Jackson is going to get some carries and pick it up big time.

Bossman641
10-13-2008, 09:20 PM

Barnett is struggling this year, no doubt, but Bishop is nowhere near his level.

Joemailman
10-13-2008, 10:22 PM
I think Jordy Nelson is on the verge of becoming a big part of the offense. He has more upside than Jones.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Barbre emerges in the second half of the season. Clifton's days as a starter may be numbered. Packers are a better running team with Barbre at LG and Colledge at LT.

Harlan Huckleby
10-13-2008, 10:43 PM
Barbre had a couple great plays last game, that's all I need to see. Stick him out there. And maybe College will blossom at LT.

steve823
10-13-2008, 10:51 PM
No Nick Collins on the list? Hes stepping up big this year and once Bigby gets back we're going to have 2 nasty safeties

Bossman641
10-13-2008, 11:03 PM
I think it'll be Brandon Jackson. I hope it'll be Harrell or Jeremy Thompson though, as that would be a huge help.

mission
10-14-2008, 01:24 AM
No Nick Collins on the list? Hes stepping up big this year and once Bigby gets back we're going to have 2 nasty safeties

I think the OP already counted Collins and T.Williams as standouts this year ... or "the lightbulb has came on" guys.

I was surprised to see so many JH votes I guess but as far as *hoping* I guess I agree. I voted for Blackmon as it seems every touch he has has a chance to go the distance. He'll have at least two more returns this season for six... and cuz we chat on MySpace lol

bobblehead
10-14-2008, 02:29 AM
The question wasn't who do you hope will - it was who do you think will.

I think Ryan Grant is struggling to find the cutbacks. And I think Brandon Jackson is going to get some carries and pick it up big time.g

OK, I'll be more distinct with my answer, but I don't think people will like it. I think College will be forced to play LT for an extended stretch at some point this season and we will all be very pleasently surprised at his natural skills. He will be close to clifton in the pass and a big improvement in the run....and whoever replaces him at LG will probably be an upgrade in the run as well.

RashanGary
10-14-2008, 06:17 AM
Colledge has quitely been a pleasant suprise this year. I've been very hard on him, almost looking for failure, but he's played tough in there. He's not getting shoved around. He's not making blatant mental errors. He might be our best offensive lineman this year.

Patler
10-14-2008, 07:02 AM
Colledge has quitely been a pleasant suprise this year. I've been very hard on him, almost looking for failure, but he's played tough in there. He's not getting shoved around. He's not making blatant mental errors. He might be our best offensive lineman this year.

I don't think so. He has done as he has every other year, occasionally making a play with the athletic talent that made the Packers so high on him in the first place, being no more than OK most of the time, and occasionally looking lost. It never ceases to amaze me the times that he touches no one on a play. It happens in pass protection, it happens in run blocking. It happened against the Seahawks. Two guys right in front of him went unblocked, and he got to no one, hardly moving his feet. It looked like he had no idea what he was supposed to do on the play. He still gets manhandled on occasion, and when beat seems to give up; unlike better linemen who get beat but still maintain some contact. Colledge gets beaten cleanly, and his man gets a free run at the QB far too many times.

He maybe hasn't had the number of bad plays he has in the past, but any improvement has been incremental, and I certainly do not find any improvement as beyond what you might expect from a third year player.

I'm not convinced he will be a starter for the Packer two years from now, but I haven't given up hope yet either.

RashanGary
10-14-2008, 07:30 AM
I notice far fewer of those mental lapses, although every lineman has about one WTF per game. We seem to have differing perceptions here. I can't say I agree with your assessment and obviously you don't agree with mine.

Patler
10-14-2008, 07:55 AM
I notice far fewer of those mental lapses, although every lineman has about one WTF per game.

Do you really mean "every lineman" or are you just referring to the Packer guards, for the most part? If you really mean "every lineman" I disagree. I can accept lineman getting beat, that happens, but good ones rarely get beat cleanly and almost never look lost within the play.

I think Colledge may have a long career as a lineman who can fill a need, but as a lineman you always hope to replace with someone better. Maybe that will change, because he has decent size and good athletic ability. I think he has improved, but not surprisingly, or even all that much. I still see him as a guard who struggles with big DTs, and as a tackle who whiffs too often in pass protection.

bobblehead
10-14-2008, 10:06 AM

I don't think so. He has done as he has every other year, occasionally making a play with the athletic talent that made the Packers so high on him in the first place, being no more than OK most of the time, and occasionally looking lost. It never ceases to amaze me the times that he touches no one on a play. It happens in pass protection, it happens in run blocking. It happened against the Seahawks. Two guys right in front of him went unblocked, and he got to no one, hardly moving his feet. It looked like he had no idea what he was supposed to do on the play. He still gets manhandled on occasion, and when beat seems to give up; unlike better linemen who get beat but still maintain some contact. Colledge gets beaten cleanly, and his man gets a free run at the QB far too many times.

He maybe hasn't had the number of bad plays he has in the past, but any improvement has been incremental, and I certainly do not find any improvement as beyond what you might expect from a third year player.

I'm not convinced he will be a starter for the Packer two years from now, but I haven't given up hope yet either.

I'm somewhere between you guys on this one. I think he has been so so this year. Not a stud by any means...simply a serviceable guard....the kind you look to replace, but not with just anyone.

That being said I'm convinced he is an LT. Every since Jason Taylor bitch slapped him in that game vs. Miami and he came back and played OK I have thought so. He is agile and has great hands. He does at times look lost at guard....a position where grit and desire win the day over agility and technique. I couldn't watch this last game, but 2 weeks ago when clifton got benched (ok, hurt/coaches decision) college moved over and actually looked good...certainly better than a disinterested clifton has looked this season. (and i'm a huge clifton fan)

Cheesehead Craig
10-14-2008, 10:16 AM
anybody who doesn't vote for Justin Harrell is a traitor to the cause.

the packers need him to come through like they need oxygen.
True that. JH is badly needed to be at least above avg at worst.

I'm also one of those guys that thinks Brandon Jackson is going to play a key role the rest of the way. I think he can do what Dorsey Levens did back in the day when he shared the backfield with Bennett, impact-wise.