PDA

View Full Version : What's up with Cliffy?

Pugger
10-14-2008, 01:37 PM
He played very well the first game against MN but has been such a disappointment since. Is he hurt but the Packers aren't talking about it? How can you go from great one week and horrid the next without some sort of injury?? :huh: :cry:

Gunakor
10-14-2008, 01:45 PM
He played very well the first game against MN but has been such a disappointment since. Is he hurt but the Packers aren't talking about it? How can you go from great one week and horrid the next without some sort of injury?? :huh: :cry:

He had a good game against the Vikings, but I think he's been hurting since the Warren Sapp incident. Age is catching up with him too I'm sure. I don't think he's going to be around very much longer, at least as a starter.

red
10-14-2008, 01:52 PM
he's getting old and he's the wrong fit for the system

its safe to say he's well past his prime

Tony Oday
10-14-2008, 01:56 PM
I still think his pass blocking is good.

Gunakor
10-14-2008, 01:59 PM
I still think his pass blocking is good.

But he's the worst offender on the line as far as giving up sacks and QB hurries and such this year. His pass blocking is not as good as it's been.

boiga
10-14-2008, 02:27 PM
True, Clifton seems to be on the downside of his career. Luckily Colledge should be able to convert over to Tackle eventually and either Barbre or Sitton will fill the missing guard spot should Clifton ever wear down completely.

Also, considering that Tausch can still man handle Kerney, we should be safe on the other side.

steve823
10-14-2008, 02:31 PM
Yea his is going down. I still think we should get rid of this zone blocking garbage. It really isn't working if you can't see.

Gunakor
10-14-2008, 02:45 PM
Yea his is going down. I still think we should get rid of this zone blocking garbage. It really isn't working if you can't see.

It is not pure zone blocking. It is a hybrid zone/power run game. And while it wasn't working at the beginning of last season, it was definitely working at the end. Seems that it might be taking the same course this season. In any case, ZBS doesn't affect pass pro where Cliffy is also struggling mightily.

Anyways, I say we stick with the hybrid blocking scheme that was successful for us last season and scrap the tackles who aren't playing up to the level they have previously.

Harlan Huckleby
10-14-2008, 03:31 PM
MM mentioned Clifton in a quote in the paper today. He referred to Clifton and Pickens as the big guys who have been playing hurt.

I don't give a damn that Clifton is playing hurt. Well, I don't totally disregard it, it means that Clifton has some chance to return to form in the future. But I think it has been a mistake for Clifton to start so far this season, I don't believe the team has been better off with him out there.

Some people admire starters who play hurt, the mantra is that they are sacrificing for the team. I don't buy it. In most cases, the players are worried about protecting their starting jobs, they don't want to give their understudy a chance to shine.

texaspackerbacker
10-14-2008, 03:32 PM
True, Clifton seems to be on the downside of his career. Luckily Colledge should be able to convert over to Tackle eventually and either Barbre or Sitton will fill the missing guard spot should Clifton ever wear down completely.

Also, considering that Tausch can still man handle Kerney, we should be safe on the other side.

I like your style, but even I am not this optimistic. While Colledge very likely could step in and do as well as Clifton this year, he's going to have to really upgrade his game to give the Packers the quality Clifton has over his career. Also, Tauscher may not be as far gone as Clifton, but his game has been siginficantly worse this year too. And Barbre and Sitton may be good prospects, but they aren't sure things.

All this crap about getting rid of the ZBS just ain't gonna happen. Everybody the Packers have other than Clifton and Tauscher are hand-picked and suited for the ZBS, and the system really is working reasonably well, all things considered--fading vets at OT and unseasoned young guys in the middle. It may get worse before it gets better--when Clifton and Tauscher are gone, but in a year or two, when we finally get the new bunch settled in and used to working together, we should have something special--like the best years of the Denver ZBS.

I think the overall quality of this team, though, is good enough to be an elite team even through these transition years.

boiga
10-14-2008, 05:14 PM
I like your style, but even I am not this optimistic. While Colledge very likely could step in and do as well as Clifton this year, he's going to have to really upgrade his game to give the Packers the quality Clifton has over his career. Also, Tauscher may not be as far gone as Clifton, but his game has been siginficantly worse this year too. And Barbre and Sitton may be good prospects, but they aren't sure things.

I'm not sure what's been the problem with the O-Line this year. It seems systemic with the entire unit, not just Cliff and Tausch, as every man in that unit is playing worse than they did at the end of last year (save Colledge... but he stank last year, so that's not saying much.) So, the issue is either with the transition to a less experienced QB or more likely, coaching.

If the penalties, missed blocks, and negative yardage runs don't improve, Campen will need to be run out of town. It's been embarrassing thus far.

bobblehead
10-14-2008, 06:10 PM

and what "system" is it exactly that clifton will excel as a run blocker?? He sucks at it...when healthy he has been top 2-3 pass blocking LT's in the game which is very important, but he has NEVER run blocked worth a shit. The problem this season is he seems to have lost his dominance in pass blocking. Maybe we could change the system and find one where bad blockers excel and block everyone.

PS....look at all the teams that have run ZBS for 3+ seasons and see where they finish the season at in rushing...near the top if you don't want to do the research.

Gunakor
10-14-2008, 06:40 PM

and what "system" is it exactly that clifton will excel as a run blocker?? He sucks at it...when healthy he has been top 2-3 pass blocking LT's in the game which is very important, but he has NEVER run blocked worth a shit. The problem this season is he seems to have lost his dominance in pass blocking. Maybe we could change the system and find one where bad blockers excel and block everyone.

PS....look at all the teams that have run ZBS for 3+ seasons and see where they finish the season at in rushing...near the top if you don't want to do the research.

Very true. Denver produces 1000 yard rushers almost every season. Hell, Ruben Droughns had 1200 with them one year. The scheme works brilliantly if executed properly.

Farley Face
10-14-2008, 08:04 PM

He had a good game against the Vikings, but I think he's been hurting since the Warren Sapp incident. Age is catching up with him too I'm sure. I don't think he's going to be around very much longer, at least as a starter.

I'll quote myself from an earlier thread:

I was at the game today and want all to know Clifton is gutting it out at this point. He has more than a hamstring injury based on the amount of individual stretching he and a trainer did before the game and in between possessions. They weren't stretching his hammy, looks like his "trunk" is having issues or something. I'm no doctor, but something is up that we are all not being made aware of (Bedard hinted at this in his blog as well).

I know it is all about production and if he is too hurt to play we need to replace him, but I don't want anyone to question his desire or heart or ultimately his ability. Hopefully the bye week after Indy will give him the time needed to get his body right. We need him.

SnakeLH2006
10-15-2008, 01:47 AM
Direct reply to Topic:

It's pretty easy as this same topic was asked about KGB. They are getting old and have lost a step. It happens ALL THE TIME in the NFL. Most likely KGB and Clifton are done. I was watching the last 2 games on DVR and seen both just get dusted HARD like never before yet it wasn't a big play (or not meantioned when it was) yet they are past their prime...Both are done and hope we can do better NEXT year. I like both, but both are done....

MJZiggy
10-15-2008, 06:44 PM
Both are also injured...