PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys after Roy Williams??

Bossman641
10-14-2008, 03:05 PM
Source: Cowboys close in on deal for Williams
By Ed Werder
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: October 14, 2008, 3:57 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
The Dallas Cowboys are close to a deal to acquire wide receiver Roy Williams from the Detroit Lions, a source told ESPN.com Tuesday. The trade would involve multiple draft picks but would not involve the Cowboys' first-round pick.

NFC East blog

ESPN.com's Matt Mosley writes about all things NFC East in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones believes Williams is a game-breaker who provides an immediate boost to a faltering offense without quarterback Tony Romo and views him as a potential long-term solution as the eventual replacement for aging Terrell Owens, according to another high-ranking Cowboys source.

The source said the Cowboys are willing to make the deal, but the Lions seem hesitant because they are operating without a general manager. Former GM Matt Millen had discussed the possibility of trading Williams with the Cowboys frequently before he was fired.

The Lions have been demanding a first-round draft choice just to consider a deal, and it is not known if Jones is willing to make the trade at that compensation level. The Cowboys could offer a second- and third-round pick, since they have multiple choices in the third round.

Williams has expressed unhappiness playing for the winless Lions and can become a free agent after the season unless the team places the franchise tag on him.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen, attending the meeting of league owners, reported that the Cowboys' NFC East rivals the Philadelphia Eagles have also made inquiries about Williams' availability. While one GM said there was a strong possibility the Lions would trade Williams to the Cowboys or Eagles on Tuesday, Philadelphia is believed to be more interested in Kansas City Chiefs tight end Tony Gonzalez. The New York Giants and Green Bay Packers are also pursuing a deal with the Chiefs.

However, sources told ESPN's Michael Smith on Tuesday that it appeared very unlikely Gonzalez would be traded.

In Dallas, Jones is known for a failed deal in which he traded two No. 1 draft picks to the Seattle Seahawks for wide receiver Joey Galloway in an attempt to provide Troy Aikman one more chance at the Super Bowl.

The Cowboys would like to find a way to avoid the two- to three-season span it seems to take to develop a young receiver for that role. But the Cowboys are concerned about how Owens would react to the addition of another prominent receiver and the possibility it would diminish his role rather than provide him occasional single coverage. The potential negative effect on the overall offensive chemistry is also a concern and some in the organization prefer to wait until the offseason to make such a move.

Either way, Jones definitely wants him and there have been very few times in his two decades of ownership that the Cowboys have failed to acquire a player Jones covets like he does Williams.

__________________________________________________ _____________________

Can you even imagine that? TO and Roy on the outside, Witten working the middle, and Barber busting people up inside. That's a pro bowl team.

FavreChild
10-14-2008, 03:11 PM
Being reported as a done deal on NFL Live.

sheepshead
10-14-2008, 03:46 PM
Yup--done deal

Tony Oday
10-14-2008, 03:51 PM
1st 3rd and a 6th 2009 picks!

Charles Woodson
10-14-2008, 04:05 PM
Did the Lions make a good move for once?!?

The lions were smart in already admitting defeat for this season, CJ will get his time to shine and they get a butt load of draft picks.

Im not so sure for the Cowboys on the other hand.
Owens and Williams on the same team might cause so trouble. But weapon wise, they are deadly

Owens, Williams, Witten, Barber, and Jones... Damn

texaspackerbacker
10-14-2008, 04:15 PM
As a secondary Cowboy fan, I don't like it. They gave up too much.

As a primary Packer fan, I like it even less--the Cowboys got a whole lot better in the short term.

Now they've got both Roy Williamses. That ought to throw a monkey wrench into the fantasy football servers.

Tony Oday
10-14-2008, 04:29 PM
Are you kidding this is just SCARY. If they are not putting up 50+ a game I will be supprised!

Fritz
10-14-2008, 04:31 PM
Roy Williams whined when he didn't get the ball here in Detroit. Now he's paired with whiner par excellence Terrell owens in Dallas? And Dallas gave up a first, a third, and a sixth (up here they're saying it's a fifth).

This is history-making - the Lions won at something!

The smells like the two-first-rounders-for-Joey-Galloway trade.

Poor Tony Romo. No matter who he throws to, someone's not going to be happy. I see Team Implosion down there.

Tony Oday
10-14-2008, 04:33 PM
Roy Williams whined when he didn't get the ball here in Detroit. Now he's paired with whiner par excellence Terrell owens in Dallas? And Dallas gave up a first, a third, and a sixth (up here they're saying it's a fifth).

Poor Tony Romo. No matter who he throws to, someone's not going to be happy. I see Team Implosion down there.

Winning makes a lot of people quiet...

Bossman641
10-14-2008, 04:33 PM

I sure hope so. TO was just starting to act up (again). Maybe this will fan the flames a little bit.

boiga
10-14-2008, 05:03 PM
I sure hope so. TO was just starting to act up (again). Maybe this will fan the flames a little bit. As a cowboys hater, I like that thought. I've always felt that Roy Williams was one of the most over rated WR's out there. People worship him because he is tall, fast, and can get some major air, but he also drops passes with the best of them, has slow acceleration and doesn't play physically at the line of scrimmage or jumping for a ball.

I'm all for the cowboys getting another overpaid prima donna receiver that drops passes. More power to them.

DonHutson
10-14-2008, 05:12 PM
Roy's been on the tradeblock almost since he got there, in spite of putting up some pretty good numbers. Apparently he's kind of a dick, and he probably didn't like getting upstaged by Calvin Johnson.

So you take him out of that situation and put him in the backseat behind Terrell Owens? How's that going to work?

Lack of talent wasn't the Cowboys' problem. They already have the most talented roster in the NFL. The problem is selfishness and poor chemistry. Therefore, this trade does not solve their main problem. It probably makes it worse.

boiga
10-14-2008, 05:21 PM
D'oh.... I just realized that I mistook Calvin Johnson for Roy Williams for about the 1000th time. Wow they overpaid for just Roy.

Even better though. If Al Harris is back and we meet the 'boys in the play offs it'll be gold. RW hasn't managed more than 2 catches in a single game against Harris since 2006.

cheesner
10-14-2008, 05:30 PM
Lack of talent wasn't the Cowboys' problem. They already have the most talented roster in the NFL. The problem is selfishness and poor chemistry. Therefore, this trade does not solve their main problem. It probably makes it worse.
You hit the nail on the head. What took Daniel Snyder 5 or 6 years to figure out Jerry Jones still doesn't understand.

bobblehead
10-14-2008, 05:49 PM
what no one has mentioned is the positive long term effect on the lions. If they actually hire a competent GM he will start his career with his own high pick, plus 5 picks in the first 3 rounds. He should land 1 stud and 2 more starters out of that. If he is TT like he will land 18 solid football players(no studs) out of it and turn the team around in one season. We Gotta play them 2x a year.

mraynrand
10-14-2008, 05:51 PM
Wow, it's the Hershel Walker trade in reverse.

boiga
10-14-2008, 06:00 PM
what no one has mentioned is the positive long term effect on the lions. If they actually hire a competent GM he will start his career with his own high pick, plus 5 picks in the first 3 rounds. He should land 1 stud and 2 more starters out of that. If he is TT like he will land 18 solid football players(no studs) out of it and turn the team around in one season. We Gotta play them 2x a year. True BH, but I wouldn't really complain if the Lions at least moved into the class of "competent." They're just pathetic right now and it makes me feel bad having them be such a freebee game twice a year.

The Packers are the Bears biggest rival and we're also the Vikings archenemy... but no one can get worked up over the kittens. Even if they get a stellar GM, the Lions are 5 years away from contending. It's hard to worry about their improvement when they stink this bad.

steve823
10-14-2008, 06:09 PM
They said a 1st , 3r,d, 6th, and 7th..WOW.

First off that makes the Cowboys better but they gave up way too much. I mean the Lions have a lot of draft picks now. For Packers fans this isn't good. Even though the Lions suck they will get a probably 1st round overall plus the Cowboys 1st round pick.

packers11
10-14-2008, 06:41 PM

First off that makes the Cowboys better but they gave up way too much. I mean the Lions have a lot of draft picks now. For Packers fans this isn't good. Even though the Lions suck they will get a probably 1st round overall plus the Cowboys 1st round pick.

Didn't they give up a 4th round pick for pacman too???

They only have a 2nd round pick in the 2009 draft?!?!? :shock:

steve823
10-14-2008, 06:46 PM
Actually they get a 7th now from Detriot. So they have a 2nd round and 2 7th rounds..lol.

Gunakor
10-14-2008, 06:47 PM

Didn't they give up a 4th round pick for pacman too???

They only have a 2nd round pick in the 2009 draft?!?!? :shock:

They get a 5th back from the Titans as part of the deal I think. The trade had a clause that if Pacman got suspended this year then the 'Boys would get something back from the Titans, and I think it was a 5.

Freak Out
10-14-2008, 06:48 PM
Great deal for Detoilet if they use those picks wisely.

steve823
10-14-2008, 06:53 PM
Man this is huge for Detroit.

If they draft a lot of busts and pay them a lot it will set them back another 10 years...or they can draft a lot of talented players and actually become competetive for the first time in a longgggg time :laugh:

MOBB DEEP
10-14-2008, 06:53 PM
RW is a flat out stud...rich get richer...however, jus ask dan snyder; u cant buy a ring

steve823
10-14-2008, 06:58 PM
This keeps getting better and better,

In conjunction with the deal that brought receiver Roy Williams from Detroit to his home state of Texas, the Cowboys and Williams have worked out a five-year deal that will keep the new Williams in silver and blue through 2013.

Adam Schefter of NFLN reports that the basic paramaters are in place — length of deal and average value per year. Work still must be done on how the money will be paid out, including the amount of it that will be guaranteed.

For now, neither side is talking about the per-year value, and for good reason. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones knows that Terrell Owens will be paying particular attention to the details.

In the locker room, it’s all about who’s got the biggest, um, wallet. And apart from inspecting the thing that typically is kept below the belt (again, wallet), the best way for guys to establish a pecking order is based on how much they get paid.

And if Williams is getting a penny more than Owens, we recommend the extra large bucket of popcorn.

RashanGary
10-14-2008, 07:14 PM
Very good move for Detroit. Good for Dallas right now, but it will hurt more later than it helps now.

MadScientist
10-14-2008, 07:28 PM
Not only does this give Detroit a lot of good picks, it should increase the franchise's attractiveness to a potential GM. The ditched a malcontent and with all those picks there's the real possibility for a quick turnaround. The new GM will have good chance to win executive of the year in 09 or 10.

As for Dallas, we can only hope for an ego implosion this year or next, or else they will be impossible to stop. After that, the missing draft picks should knock them down for a couple of years.

Fritz
10-15-2008, 07:16 AM
I'm sorry, but Jerry Jones got bent over on this one.

He's headed for more locker room turmoil (how's that Pacman thing working out, Jer?) as RW has an ego the size of a house. He's headed for sal cap hell if that new deal is what people in this thread are suggesting. He's facing a draft next spring having what, a second, fourth, and fifth round picks?

It's the beginning of the end for the Cowboys.

And I can't believe the Lions screwed them over. Wow.

mraynrand
10-15-2008, 08:13 AM
Is Roy Williams really that good? Gonzales was only going to get one #2 pick. Dallas reverses the Hershel Walker trade. WTF?

Scott Campbell
10-15-2008, 08:20 AM
RW is a flat out stud......

His stat lines from this year beg to differ. And I think he's a borderline head case.

3irty1
10-15-2008, 10:41 AM

His stat lines from this year beg to differ. And I think he's a borderline head case.

He's definitely good enough to start on that team at least.

Fritz
10-15-2008, 10:49 AM

He's definitely good enough to start on that team at least.

He's good enough to start. But is he good enough to pay him for five years like a #1 receiver, AND give up your first, third, and sixth round picks for?

methinks not.

MOBB DEEP
10-15-2008, 11:25 AM

never had a great qb/team

with TO gettn double teamed.....

Fritz
10-15-2008, 12:15 PM

never had a great qb/team

with TO gettn double teamed.....

Mobb, opposing teams were starting to pay more and more attention to Calvin Johnson. I just don't think Williams ever quite panned out as was hoped. But we'll see for sure now.

steve823
10-15-2008, 02:29 PM
Well its official the Cowboys are the new Oakland Raiders of the NFL. I mean what criminal didn't they pick up? If the players on their team didn't go to the NFL more then 50% of them would be in jail :D

Gunakor
10-15-2008, 04:35 PM
It has been suggested that RW was brought in to be an eventual replacement for TO as the 'Boys #1, rather than a compliment to TO as the 'Boys #2. That might be why he received such a lengthy and lucrative contract. Does anyone know exactly how his new contract is structured? It might be heavy on the back end, figuring that TO won't be around in a few years. TO is 34 years old. I don't know, but it makes sense.

Charles Woodson
10-15-2008, 04:51 PM
Well its official the Cowboys are the new Oakland Raiders of the NFL. I mean what criminal didn't they pick up? If the players on their team didn't go to the NFL more then 50% of them would be in jail :D

...you mean the Bengals of the NFL, no one can even be compared with the Bengals... Was Roy ever in jail tho?