retailguy
10-14-2008, 09:01 PM
Builds character.

MJZiggy
10-14-2008, 09:05 PM
That's a LOT of character...

Joemailman
10-14-2008, 09:11 PM
As long as the winning team wasn't deliberately running up the score, there's not much you can do. Can't expect the reserves not to play hard. Hopefully it won't destroy the confidence and competitiveness of the losing team.

MJZiggy
10-14-2008, 09:15 PM
Did they have any confidence or competitiveness to begin with?

BallHawk
10-14-2008, 09:25 PM
I can't believe that this story is getting so much press. Front page of ESPN.com, Yahoo, etc.

Everybody knew this game was going to be a blowout. Estero's program is notoriously horrible. Naples is really, really good (Even though we almost beat them the week before.)

Kramer's a real good dude and wasn't trying to be an ass about it or anything. They averaged scoring a touchdown every 3 plays. It's not his fault. He didn't throw long bombs or pull off trick plays. They just handed the ball off play after play and Estero could not stop them. They didn't start a good amount of their players (a lot of their Div I recruits didn't start) and they pulled their second stringers by the end of the first quarter. The 3rd stringers and 4th stringers were in at the start of the second half.

I feel sorry for Estero because they've had a lot of bad breaks, but this doesn't fall on Naples. They've got a real good program and were just playing the game.

Partial
10-14-2008, 09:26 PM
BH starts at TE for Naples.

BallHawk
10-14-2008, 09:27 PM
BH starts at TE for Naples.

Naples High ain't my neck of the woods. I'm in the newer, cookie-cutter suburban gated community area of Naples. Score.

mraynrand
10-14-2008, 09:44 PM
its just a game.

hoosier
10-15-2008, 07:52 AM
As long as the winning team wasn't deliberately running up the score, there's not much you can do. Can't expect the reserves not to play hard. Hopefully it won't destroy the confidence and competitiveness of the losing team.

I bet it will fire them up and maybe they will treat their next meeting with Naples as a grudge match. As Estero will be looking for revenge next year, they'll hold Naples to 56 points. :lol:

Patler
10-15-2008, 08:04 AM
Doesn't sound like there is much to blame anyone for in this situation.

Apparently the state has no "mercy rule" in football. They should. Generally it involves a continuously running clock with a lead above 35 points, or so. Games end very quickly when the rule is in effect. The clock continues to run even after scores, while extra points are tried and while lining up for a kickoff.

mraynrand
10-15-2008, 08:10 AM
It's a good thing Brett Favre wasn't QB of the team scoring 91 points. They would have called a time out late in the game so he could score another TD. After all, he wants to set that record.

HowardRoark
10-15-2008, 08:29 AM
They should have a "points credit" rule in High School. For every point over 50, they have to give some points to the other team.

I think the adults (read, Baby Boomers) care more about this than the kids anyway. They are just thinking about chicks.

Cheesehead Craig
10-15-2008, 08:38 AM
This is such a non-story.

Bossman641
10-15-2008, 08:45 AM

Seriously, what is the big deal about. The other team didn't run up the score. They put in their backups, it's not their fault the backups are more skilled then the other team.

Patler
10-15-2008, 09:12 AM

Seriously, what is the big deal about. The other team didn't run up the score. They put in their backups, it's not their fault the backups are more skilled then the other team.

The problem is that the coach apparently is taking a lot of flak for this in spite of the fact he did nothing wrong. People see the score, assume the worst and proceed to make life miserable for the coach. They refuse to believe that one team could pound another this badly using the bottom of their roster.

Mercy rules protect the winning coach as much as the losing players.