PDA

View Full Version : More Girls Playing High School Football

oregonpackfan
10-15-2008, 10:46 AM
Please find below an article about more girls playing high school football in Oregon. The numbers are still small but they are increasing. This year, 26 girls are playing high school football in Oregon--a state with just under 4 million people.

Our high school has one of those girls. She is a reserve kicker. She only kicks in games where the score is lopsided(our team is currently 5-1 and ranked 3rd in the state for division 5A)

After she made an extra point kick, I watched her on the following kickoff. I wondered if some guy from the opposing team would try to "take her out" with a block.

When she made the kick, the other team ignored her and made no attempt to block her. It was to their detriment to ignore her, however, as she raced down the field and got an assist on the tackle!

Are there more girls playing high school football in your part of the country?

http://www.oregonlive.com/prepfootball/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/1224037528208270.xml&coll=7

Deputy Nutz
10-15-2008, 11:34 AM
My Junior year in high school we had a girl from the soccer team come out for football. She was a really good kicker, but our All-State kicker had recovered from an injury we didn't think he could recover from. She would have kicked on any other team in the area. She was good from 35 yards out and money on all extra points.

She was asked to do Good Morning America, but refused, she said she would have been embarrassed because she wasn't even the starting kicker.

This was back in 1995, and she was one of the first girls in America to be on a high school varsity football squad.

If my daughter wants to play I have no problems with it. She will figure out soon enough if she is tough enough to play it.