PDA

View Full Version : Packers thought Gonzalez deal was done!

arcilite
10-15-2008, 10:43 PM
Ok people saying TT was sitting on his ass:

Not only were the Packers serious players for Chiefs tight end Tony Gonzalez, but the Pack also thought they had a deal.

According to Jason Wilde of the Wisconsin State Journal, the Packers drew up the paperwork that would have sent a third-round pick to Kansas City for Gonzalez, only to have the Chiefs back out ten minutes before the 4:00 p.m. EDT trading deadline, and demand a second-round pick.

Per Wilde, the Packers and Eagles offered a third-round selection for Gonzalez, and the Giants tendered a fourth-rounder.

The Falcons and Bills were willing to do more, but Gonzalez wanted to play for neither team.

Currently, the Falcons and the Bills have better records than the Packers and the Eagles. In either Atlanta or Buffalo, Gonzalez would have been greeted as a superhero, and we’re baffled by his reluctance to play for either team.

We’re even more baffled by the misguided decision by Carl Peterson to pull a last-second power play. An unrestrained ego is a dangerous thing, and Peterson now must deal with a locker room full of players who realize that, if King Carl is willing to screw Gonzalez, any of them could get equal or lesser treatment.

...that was from PFT.

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/packers/309733

link

Chevelle2
10-15-2008, 10:49 PM
I hope the Chiefs never win another game ever.

BallHawk
10-15-2008, 10:51 PM
This thing of people pulling out at the last second on Ted and the Pack is becoming a trend. Once with Moss and now with Gonzalez.

If it happens a 3rd time I'm gonna draw up a conspiracy theory.

BallHawk
10-15-2008, 10:52 PM

Shhhhh.......Tory Humphrey might be reading.......

Who needs ToGo? We've got D-Lee and Tor-y. We're set.

RashanGary
10-16-2008, 07:27 AM
The postive thing is that TT is in on all of these talks. He's always in the 3 or 4 team mix and near the top of the bidders. Eventually one will work out.

CaliforniaCheez
10-16-2008, 07:55 AM
The ball just isn't being thrown to Lee as it was last year.

The TE position just hasn't done much in the games so far. They get pulled for 4 WR run and shoot offense.

MOBB DEEP
10-16-2008, 09:12 AM
The postive thing is that TT is in on all of these talks. He's always in the 3 or 4 team mix and near the top of the bidders. Eventually one will work out.

:roll:

retailguy
10-16-2008, 09:25 AM

I could not agree more! Yes it's true!

Every once in a while, even a blind squirrel gets a nut! :P :oops: :wink:

GoPackGo
10-16-2008, 10:30 AM
The Chiefs looked at the Shockey trade and wanted what the Giants got, a 2nd and a 5th.

hoosier
10-16-2008, 10:53 AM
This thing of people pulling out at the last second on Ted and the Pack is becoming a trend. Once with Moss and now with Gonzalez.

If it happens a 3rd time I'm gonna draw up a conspiracy theory.

Oh stop with the homoerotic innuendo already. :lol:

MOBB DEEP
10-16-2008, 10:55 AM
y didnt the bastard give up the 2nd round pick??

DAYUM

INFAMY......

Bossman641
10-16-2008, 11:04 AM
y didnt the bastard give up the 2nd round pick??

DAYUM

INFAMY......

Cause it wouldn't be worth it

DAYUM

WORD SON

Spaulding
10-16-2008, 11:33 AM
Our problem isn't with the TE play (although they've been next to non-existent it doesn't appear the position has been called on enough possibly due to the higher max protect plays?) but with the play in the trenches.

As much as I like Gonzo as a player and citizen, glad TT didn't offer up a 2nd rounder. TE position isn't going to be the deal breaker for success this year and they spend fair money on Lee and drafted Finley in the 3rd. Moving forward having that 2nd for next year and/or trade bait for a position of more need makes more sense to me.

Lurker64
10-16-2008, 11:46 AM

All the Chiefs fans I know blame this on their GM, Carl Peterson, and they want him fired for a variety of offenses. More for the "quality of QB play in Kansas City" than for this, but I know a handful of Chiefs fans who were pissed off about their GM dropping the ball here.

mraynrand
10-16-2008, 11:48 AM
Is Mike sHerman Edwards' job safe in K.C.?

MOBB DEEP
10-16-2008, 12:09 PM
Is Mike sHerman Edwards' job safe in K.C.?

PROBLY; its known that they're in rebuilding mode

texaspackerbacker
10-16-2008, 12:09 PM
I wouldn't have liked giving a third rounder for Gonzales, much less a second. I said earlier, no higher than a fourth.

One thing nobody has discussed here is what kind of contract Gonzales had--it makes a lot of difference in determining his value--both amount of salary and how many years remaining. It could either be a positive or a negative.

The bottom line is that getting Gonzales for an extreme bargain price would be a good thing--like a luxury item. A matter of need, however, something you pay a fair price for, that he is not.

Zool
10-16-2008, 12:14 PM
1/12/2006: Signed a five-year, $35 million contract. The deal includes $17.75 million in guarantees. 2008: $1 million, 2009: $4 million, 2010: $4.5 million, 2011: $5.75 million.

Edit: Unless my numbers are wrong, Gonzalez would be ~$10mil against the cap in 2011. Yuk.

Harlan Huckleby
10-16-2008, 12:24 PM
Gonzolez is on the downside of his career. I can't believe so many people had a boner for the guy.

I can see doing the deal if the team looked Super Bowl bound this season.

Second round picks bring recievers like like Greg Jennings and Jordy Nelson. (OK, and average guys like Colledge and Brandon Jackson too.) Why mortgage the future for a player who is unlikely to make a critical difference this year, and soon fade into the sunset?

rbaloha1
10-16-2008, 08:58 PM
) Why mortgage the future for a player who is unlikely to make a critical difference this year, and soon fade into the sunset?

Please HH no future is mortgaged given the Packers current salary cap and player contracts.

TG is a proven commodity that greatly elevates the offense to pretty much unstopable.

Bummer TT was unable to procure TG!

arcilite
10-16-2008, 09:05 PM
) Why mortgage the future for a player who is unlikely to make a critical difference this year, and soon fade into the sunset?

Please HH no future is mortgaged given the Packers current salary cap and player contracts.

TG is a proven commodity that greatly elevates the offense to pretty much unstopable.

What?

You never know what we can get with a high draft pick (2d/3rd). TT Has been able to find gems in those round. I will take the chance at a gem than have some 30+ something TE here for a season or 2.

SkinBasket
10-16-2008, 09:21 PM
What?

You never know what we can get with a high draft pick (2d/3rd). TT Has been able to find gems in those round. I will take the chance at a gem than have some 30+ something TE here for a season or 2.

Don't you have a teenage girl to pee on?

Harlan Huckleby
10-16-2008, 09:47 PM

What makes you think that Gonzalez is such a force? Analysts have remarked that he is down from his prime.

I would have been ok with a 3rd round pick for Gonzalez, which is what TT offered. Not thrilled, just OK.

I take it you thought he was worth a #2. Unless you were willing to part with a #1 (God help you), then we don't see this situation THAT differently.

DonHutson
10-17-2008, 09:31 AM
If the Chiefs waited until 10 minutes before the deadline to raise the price, it's pretty clear they didn't really want to move Gonzales. They likely wanted to keep him, but they wanted to go through the motions so Gonzales would think they were making an effort.

They were probably a little surprised that the offers got so high, and it's made them look like uncooperative morons. Now they're stuck with a player that doesn't want to be there, and no added draft pick. Serves 'em right for jerking everybody around.

I'm sure he'll be on the trade block again in the off-season, if we really want him that badly.

MOBB DEEP
10-17-2008, 10:23 AM
If the Chiefs waited until 10 minutes before the deadline to raise the price, it's pretty clear they didn't really want to move Gonzales. They likely wanted to keep him, but they wanted to go through the motions so Gonzales would think they were making an effort.

They were probably a little surprised that the offers got so high, and it's made them look like uncooperative morons. Now they're stuck with a player that doesn't want to be there, and no added draft pick. Serves 'em right for jerking everybody around.

I'm sure he'll be on the trade block again in the off-season, if we really want him that badly.

given that this season is a wash?? he'll just be older...

Pugger
10-18-2008, 12:57 PM
I don't think Peterson was serious about trading him either, otherwise he wouldn't have upped the ante moments before the deadline. It was foolish of him to even entertain such a trade in the first place because now he may have problems dealing with other GMs in the future. :roll:

Guiness
10-19-2008, 02:18 AM

I wonder how much truth there is behind that. You would expect something like that from a St-L, or Det which have an uncertain situation at coach and/or in the front office.

But if KC essentially pulled the plug by moving the target 10 minutes before the deadline (because even if the Pack wanted to, there's no way they could approve the change that quickly). I wonder how badly others will want to deal with them. Of course, other teams still deal with Al Davis, and he's about as bad to deal with as they come - he's badmouthing NE for giving him what he wanted for Moss - so maybe it doesn't matter.

I'm also surprised we haven't heard much out of the Pack over this, but they are characteristically closed mouthed about these sorts of things...as they were when the (supposed) Moss deal fell through.

Rastak
10-19-2008, 06:21 AM

I disagree. Knowing how Carl Peterson operates, he used the last 10 minutes to create enough pressure to get himself a 2 but the Packers didn't cave. He likely figured with only 10 minutes to consider they might just say.....ok fine, a 2 it is.

DonHutson
10-20-2008, 09:39 AM

I disagree. Knowing how Carl Peterson operates, he used the last 10 minutes to create enough pressure to get himself a 2 but the Packers didn't cave. He likely figured with only 10 minutes to consider they might just say.....ok fine, a 2 it is.

Could be. Either way, he deserved to get shafted.