PDA

View Full Version : Raiders FS Michael Huff has been benched.

packers11
10-16-2008, 05:39 PM
www.rotoworld.com

Raiders FS Michael Huff has been benched. Hiram Eugene will be Oakland's starting free safety moving forward.

The free safety in Oakland's scheme sits back in the deep middle, leading to few tackle chances. However, Huff didn't take advantage of what opportunities he had there and his coverage of tight ends has fallen off markedly since 2007. The No. 7 overall pick in '06 is looking like a bust. Oct. 16 - 6:00 pm et

Source: Oakland Tribune

retailguy
10-16-2008, 05:51 PM
Tank is officially in mourning. First Joey, now this. If Logan Mankins craps out, tank will probably commit suicide.

mmmdk
10-16-2008, 11:30 PM
Tank is an idiot...Brett ain't the sharpest knife around - the admiration for these people make sense now.

Guiness
10-17-2008, 06:36 AM
Is he bad, or just a product of a bad situation?

If Oakland's interested in getting rid of him, I would guess there'll be a lot of suitors willing to give him a spin.

Fritz
10-17-2008, 07:24 AM
You know, I'm a fan as big as anyone when it comes to my vocal opinons of TT's personnel moves. I was banging the drum for guys like Odell Thurman and Robert Ferguson, so I'm no personnel maven.

Thus, I like to see threads like this where people can kind of own up to the-guy-TT-should've-drafted-what-the-hell-was-he-thinking screw ups. There were people on this board who wanted Huff like I want Drew Barrymore.

This drafting stuff is just not science. It's hard work and skill and luck, too.

One of the picks I loved was the Abdul Hodge pick. I thought he was going to be a monster middle linebacker in the NFL. Doh! How's he working out in Cinci? Anyone know?

cheesner
10-17-2008, 10:04 AM
You know, I'm a fan as big as anyone when it comes to my vocal opinons of TT's personnel moves. I was banging the drum for guys like Odell Thurman and Robert Ferguson, so I'm no personnel maven.

Thus, I like to see threads like this where people can kind of own up to the-guy-TT-should've-drafted-what-the-hell-was-he-thinking screw ups. There were people on this board who wanted Huff like I want Drew Barrymore.

This drafting stuff is just not science. It's hard work and skill and luck, too.

One of the picks I loved was the Abdul Hodge pick. I thought he was going to be a monster middle linebacker in the NFL. Doh! How's he working out in Cinci? Anyone know?

We have such a limited opportunity to evaluate players. Showing highlights of a player, or even watching a game on television doesn't show the whole picture of how a player performs. It always amuses me when posters get so sold on a player and call a GM to the carpet over it. A big % of evaluating a player is also based on what is between his ears. Is he going to work hard after you make him a millionaire? Is he going to put in the time and effort necessary to suceed? Can you teach him anything or does he 'know it all already'? Huff is as athletically talented as some hall of fame players at his position, that is certain. He didn't suceed for reasons beyond what you can see on tv. Unless you can talk with him, talk to his coaches, and talk to other players that are with him in the locker room, you don't know what he is.

oregonpackfan
10-17-2008, 10:22 AM
Virtually everyone associated with pro football be they "ordinary" football fans to professional scouts make mistakes. One just does not know how a great college player will adapt to the pro level.

Remember the great debate about which college quarterback to draft first--Peyton Manning or Ryan Leaf? Both were alleged to be outstanding pro quarterbacks. One succeeded and one was a bust.

At the other end of the spectrum was a quarterback named Tom Brady taken in the 6th round who had a "chance" of making it in the NFL. The guy turned out to be all-pro.

My biggest mistake was advocating receiver Mike Hass from Oregon State. Despite his small size and pedestrian speed, he set all kinds of receiving records and won the Fred Biletnikoff Award his senior year. The guy is very intelligent as he earned his civil engineering degree before he left OSU.

Taken in the 6th round by the Saints, he was cut. The Bears put him on their practice squad for a year, dropped him, and then resigned him. He tried out for a couple of other teams and is out of the NFL. I certainly overestimated his chances in the NFL.

rpiotr01
10-17-2008, 12:08 PM
If they'd like to unload Mr. Huff, if I'm GB management, I'd be more than happy to help them out. I still think this guy has tons of talent.

Oakland looks like an org where NO ONE above the player level looks like they have a damn clue what they're doing. Very difficult to tell what's going on with players in a situation like that.

Charles Woodson
10-17-2008, 12:19 PM
My biggest mistake was advocating receiver Mike Hass from Oregon State. Despite his small size and pedestrian speed, he set all kinds of receiving records and won the Fred Biletnikoff Award his senior year. The guy is very intelligent as he earned his civil engineering degree before he left OSU.

Taken in the 6th round by the Saints, he was cut. The Bears put him on their practice squad for a year, dropped him, and then resigned him. He tried out for a couple of other teams and is out of the NFL. I certainly overestimated his chances in the NFL.

...Maybe because hes from Oregon? i mean while its nice to see your fav college team's players make it big in the NFL it just usually doesn't happen.

Tarlam!
10-17-2008, 12:28 PM
If they'd like to unload Mr. Huff, if I'm GB management, I'd be more than happy to help them out. I still think this guy has tons of talent.

Oakland looks like an org where NO ONE above the player level looks like they have a damn clue what they're doing. Very difficult to tell what's going on with players in a situation like that.

What would you pay? I'd pay a 4th round pick,l myself.

Patler
10-17-2008, 12:36 PM

It seems to be hard for the experts to assess the Oakland players, let alone the fans. Many thought Moss was done physically, and couldn't run anymore. Same with Woodson, many suggesting he would have to move to safety to extend his career. Both seem to be doing nicely now that they are away from Oakland!

Could be the same with Huff ... or not.

steve823
10-17-2008, 02:18 PM
Good post Patler. I personally think that he has talent. I hate Oakland but hes my favorite player on that team and I think hes a good player on a bad team. Not liek we need him though because Collins and Bigby look more then solid

DonHutson
10-17-2008, 03:22 PM
Tank is officially in mourning. First Joey, now this. If Logan Mankins craps out, tank will probably commit suicide.

Hmmm... how's the new Coldplay record selling?

Scott Campbell
10-17-2008, 04:34 PM

It seems to be hard for the experts to assess the Oakland players, let alone the fans. Many thought Moss was done physically, and couldn't run anymore. Same with Woodson, many suggesting he would have to move to safety to extend his career. Both seem to be doing nicely now that they are away from Oakland!

Could be the same with Huff ... or not.

Javon caught 1 pass for 7 yards last week. That would have been 11 catches for 146 yards on any other team. :D