PDA

View Full Version : Is Bigby missed for more than just his ability?

Patler
10-17-2008, 02:34 AM
It has been obvious that the Packer D has been less intense, less forceful, with less swagger than last year. Pickett mentioned that watching film from last year was shocking, the speed and intensity are missing.

Bigby was as intense and as animated as anyone on the defense last year. He played with an attitude. Do they miss that perhaps even more than his actual performance?

SnakeLH2006
10-17-2008, 02:38 AM
It has been obvious that the Packer D has been less intense, less forceful, with less swagger than last year. Pickett mentioned that watching film from last year was shocking, the speed and intensity are missing.

Bigby was as intense and as animated as anyone on the defense last year. He played with an attitude. Do they miss that perhaps even more than his actual performance?

I've been thinking of making the same thread too. Bigby was a force on the run for sure..and mad plays in the pass. When did anyone go, we lost that game because Bigby was out of the play? Not often with 3 losses at 13-3 last year, but seems likely with the 3 losses going to 3-3 this year WITHOUT him. Good topic Patler.....dude's intense and made us better. Is he playing this week?

Patler
10-17-2008, 02:47 AM

I've been thinking of making the same thread too. Bigby was a force on the run for sure..and mad plays in the pass. When did anyone go, we lost that game because Bigby was out of the play? Not often with 3 losses at 13-3 last year, but seems likely with the 3 losses going to 3-3 this year WITHOUT him. Good topic Patler.....dude's intense and made us better. Is he playing this week?

To be fair, there was a time early last season that I questioned if the Packers could survive his learning curve, but they still won as it turned out. Even some writers questioned whether he would develop a feel for the passing game, or just remain a big hitter. It clicked in for him the last half of the season with some nice interceptions.

This week? Apparently he practiced on Thursday after passing his running and strength test on Wednesday, and is expected to play this week, but may not start after doing virtually nothing for a month.

Gunakor
10-17-2008, 02:49 AM

I hear there's a chance Bigby will play this week, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. It's not likely they'd throw him out there the week before the bye if he's not 100%. I'd wager he'll be back following the bye.

Is Aaron Rouse healthy enough to play this week, or would we see Peprah again if Bigby still isn't good to go?

As to the original topic, absolutely. But that lack of intensity has been a problem with quite a few players on our defense who played with attitude last season. I'm hoping that Bigby's return - or more likely the first time he puts the hurt on an opposing RB or WR - will fire these guys up and raise the intensity level of the entire unit.

Patler
10-17-2008, 02:57 AM
The MJS pointed out that Barnett was fined in each of the first two games for aggressive hits, after also turning over a game check to the league for his bar scuffle. They questioned if that curbed his intensity. It may have.

Fritz
10-17-2008, 07:15 AM
Those sorts of incidents do tend to change people's behaviors - most often though only for a period of time. Then people usually go back to their old patterns. I suspect Barnett will revert to form as time passes, and perhaps when he sees Bigby crunching some wide receiver.

DonHutson
10-17-2008, 09:39 AM
Big hits are contagious. No question. Bigby is a tone-setter and that has been missed for sure.

But I think that's only part of it. Injuries to the DL have made them less effective, meaning more blockers get to the LB's quicker. Thus, the LB's have less space to gear up and knock somebody out.

Replacing Jenkins with Thompson and KGB costs a lot in terms of physicality as well.

Hawk's groin is likely slowing him down a bit, keeping him from making the big hit.

steve823
10-17-2008, 02:22 PM

I hear there's a chance Bigby will play this week, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. It's not likely they'd throw him out there the week before the bye if he's not 100%. I'd wager he'll be back following the bye.

Is Aaron Rouse healthy enough to play this week, or would we see Peprah again if Bigby still isn't good to go?

As to the original topic, absolutely. But that lack of intensity has been a problem with quite a few players on our defense who played with attitude last season. I'm hoping that Bigby's return - or more likely the first time he puts the hurt on an opposing RB or WR - will fire these guys up and raise the intensity level of the entire unit.

If Peprah is starting the Colts will rip him apart. I hope at least Rouse or Bigby starts.

mraynrand
10-17-2008, 02:24 PM
I suspect Barnett will revert to form as time passes

False steps?

Joemailman
10-17-2008, 06:32 PM

Bigby is doubtful, and will probably not play.http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/10/17/colts-week-friday-update-bigby-doubtful.aspx

No decision yet on whether to activate Harrell.

MateoInMex
10-17-2008, 07:45 PM

I remember watching the NFL playoffs in Mexico last year and in January with some brothers-in-law. They're trying to understand the American game of football, but all 3 and my Father-In-Law fell loved the play of Atari Bigby. He always plays without fear and he's all over the field.

When's he coming back anyway? Ah, just read JoeMailman's post.

bobblehead
10-17-2008, 08:44 PM
We miss him a lot...I'm pretty sure I was complaining when Grant was holding out because I thought bigby was just as deserving of a long term deal....man was HUGE last 6-7 games of last season. I personally wanted TT to offer them both a minimum tender with 1 million bonus and a promise to work on a long deal midway thru this year...but alas...TT doesn't read my posts.

RashanGary
10-17-2008, 11:46 PM
With the way Collins and Tramon are playing our secondary could be pretty great when we get Al and Atari back. Too bad our DL is so mediocre.

Harlan Huckleby
10-18-2008, 11:22 AM
I wish I could find the thread from the end of the 2007 training camp where everyone was convinced that Bigby was a bum who was sure to be cut. :lol:

packers11
10-18-2008, 11:30 AM
I wish I could find the thread from the end of the 2007 training camp where everyone was convinced that Bigby was a bum who was sure to be cut. :lol:

I remember everyone bashed him after the Steelers preseason game...

found the highlights...

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80168590

rbaloha1
10-18-2008, 12:24 PM
Yes, AB is missed for the big hits, leadership and intensity.

Recall Al Harris compared AB to Brian Dawkins.

The Shadow
10-18-2008, 02:47 PM
Bigby's attitude is one of the intangible positives that the defense is currently lacking.

Harlan Huckleby
10-18-2008, 10:16 PM
Bigby is solid but not a difference maker. I think Aaron Rouse will surpass him before too long. Rouse is an excellent tackler and decent in coverage. He flubs-up in both at times, but he is still learning the game.

RashanGary
10-18-2008, 10:39 PM
Bigby is solid but not a difference maker. I think Aaron Rouse will surpass him before too long. Rouse is an excellent tackler and decent in coverage. He flubs-up in both at times, but he is still learning the game.

I disagree. Rouse is very overrated.

SnakeLH2006
10-18-2008, 11:04 PM

I'm really liking you lately dude. Awesome posts every day and I love it. Wanna grab some beers sometime bro? :D But yes, Rouse has been overrated based on "potential". He flashed it at times, but Bigby was/is a beastman. Dude makes plays and has changed games over a "full" season.

Harlan Huckleby
10-19-2008, 09:05 PM

I didn't get to watch the game today, but I did catch the highlights on Sunday Night Football halftime.

In your face!

MJZiggy
10-19-2008, 09:06 PM
I watched the game and he did have a very good game, but I still miss the dreads...

BF4MVP
10-19-2008, 09:15 PM
He's definitely missed. A lot. Good thing the bye is here, I hope (and expect) to see him out there against Tennessee.

Harlan Huckleby
10-19-2008, 09:17 PM
He's definitely missed. A lot. Good thing the bye is here, I hope (and expect) to see him out there against Tennessee.

why is he missed? Rouse is just as good of a tackler.

The problem has not been the secondary tackling this year, its been the fact that the safeties have had to make so many tackles.

I think Collins is the outstanding safety this year, and the rest of the guys are pretty interchangeable.

boiga
10-19-2008, 10:03 PM
why is he missed? Rouse is just as good of a tackler.

Bigby is much stronger against the run than either Collins or Rouse. When Bigby tackled an RB, they fell backward, not forward. Rouse was actually moved back into coverage because he whiffed on a number of tackles that could have negated big runs during the losing streak. Collins was an improvement, but his main skill is as a deep coverage guy and he is wasted near the line. Bigby was the mean mofo that tackled RBs for a loss out near the sidelines or pancaked checkdown receivers.

The difference between Bigby and Rouse at SS was a good three yards every run play headed their way. That's a big deal.

Zool
10-19-2008, 10:05 PM
Also, Rouse doesnt exactly make WR's think when they go on crossing routes. Bigby hits people with purpose.

Harlan Huckleby
10-19-2008, 10:07 PM
Bigby was the mean mofo that tackled RBs for a loss out near the sidelines or pancaked checkdown receivers.

I'll grant you that Bigby is a bigger hitter, that matters. But I think the other safeties are just as good in the open field. And I don't agree that Bigby stops gains any more effectively, as you suggest.

Harlan Huckleby
10-19-2008, 10:08 PM
Also, Rouse doesnt exactly make WR's think when they go on crossing routes. Bigby hits people with purpose.

ya, I grant this is a point in his favor. But he is not a noticably better tackler or coverage guy.

HarveyWallbangers
10-19-2008, 10:17 PM
Rouse has been poor up until this game.

Harlan Huckleby
10-19-2008, 10:18 PM
I don't think so. He's made a lot of plays, and a few errors. His tackling in the secondary has been very good.

HarveyWallbangers
10-19-2008, 10:21 PM
I don't think so. He's made a lot of plays, and a few errors. His tackling in the secondary has been very good.

That was in the three games he started last year. Until this game, he made a lot of errors and few plays this year.

]{ilr]3
10-19-2008, 10:22 PM
Its good to have such delema's in the secondary about who is better when even the backups are playing so well. Now if only we can shore up the D-line.

Loosing Jenkins has been a big hit to the already struggling D-line. KGB is getting pushed around and gets competely controlled by his opposition. Cole and Pickett are playing well, or atleast they looked like it against Indy. I am concerned about the Titans running attack in 2 weeks :shock:

Bigby is fun to watch and I look forward to having him and Al Harris back, but its hard to complain about the way that Williams, Blackmon, Lee, Peprah and Rouse have stepped up.

boiga
10-19-2008, 10:24 PM
I'll grant you that Bigby is a bigger hitter, that matters. But I think the other safeties are just as good in the open field. And I don't agree that Bigby stops gains any more effectively, as you suggest.
I'd agree that the difference between Bigby and Rouse is negligible when they are back playing coverage, and that Collins has been substantially better than either of them in that position.

But, when a safety is brought up into the box, my opinion is that Bigby is much much better than Rouse. We never needed 8 in the box against the Colts crappy run game, but we will against the Titans.

Harlan Huckleby
10-19-2008, 10:34 PM
But, when a safety is brought up into the box, my opinion is that Bigby is much much better than Rouse. We never needed 8 in the box against the Colts crappy run game, but we will against the Titans.

ya, he might be better near the line of scrimmage. he's the most physical safety they have by a long shot.

crosbiegrad
10-19-2008, 11:03 PM
It's been mentioned on here somewhere recently but the biggest thing Bigby brings to the table that Rouse does not is his reckless abandonment! You know that Bigby has to be hurting after some of those tackles at the back end of last season. Those kind of hits scare the crap out of opposing O's and invigorates the D, he is missed, although we are lucky to have an able backup in Rouse