PDA

View Full Version : Can America get beyond racism?

oregonpackfan
10-17-2008, 03:13 PM
Issue of race grows with likelihood of Obama win
news-general-20081017-Campaign.Race

Democratic presidential candidate, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., pauses for a m...
1 hour ago
Loading... Must Read?Thank YouYes 17

WASHINGTON — Race, an inescapable but explosive issue on which both presidential candidates have tread carefully if not tried to ignore, is increasingly popping up as it's becoming more likely the country will elect its first black president. Supporters of John McCain and Barack Obama, though not the candidates themselves, are amplifying the issue in the homestretch.

Among Democratic backers: Rep. John Lewis, the black Georgia Democrat and prominent civil rights leader who accused the GOP ticket of "sowing the seeds of hatred and division" and recalled the atmosphere segregationist Alabama Gov. George Wallace fostered in the 1960s; and Democratic Rep. John Murtha of Pennsylvania, who referred to the western part of his state as "a racist area."

Among GOP allies: a California group, which distributed anti-Obama literature with stereotypical black America images of a watermelon, ribs and a bucket of fried chicken. Another group put Obama's incendiary black former pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, in a TV ad. A Virginia GOP official said Obama would hire rapper Ludacris to paint the White House black.

Among voters who haven't yet settled on a candidate: "Joe the Plumber." The Ohioan whose last name is Wurzelbacher and was repeatedly mentioned during the final presidential debate told one interviewer that he didn't get direct answers to his questions when he met Obama. He said all he got was "a tap dance. Almost as good as Sammy Davis Jr."

All that, and in the last week alone.

Polls show Obama, the son of a white mother from Kansas and a black father from Kenya, leading nationally and in key battlegrounds little more than two weeks before the Nov. 4 election. He's already made history as the first black nominee of a major political party, and his candidacy has energized minority voters in ways never before seen.

Among the unknowns: Should Obama win the White House, will racism become a subtext throughout his tenure? Or does his presidency work to soothe emotions still raw four decades after the civil rights movement and nearly 150 years since the end of slavery?

Race has always been in the background of the general election. Obama's campaign bristles at any suggestion of exploiting Obama's skin color; McCain's advisers deeply fear being called racists.

The issue boiled up over the summer.

Obama said Republicans would try to scare voters by saying "he doesn't look like all those other presidents on the dollar bills." McCain's campaign, quick to counter any notion of racism, accused Obama of playing the race card.

A recent AP-Yahoo News poll found that 40 percent of all white Americans hold at least a partly negative view toward blacks. The survey indicated that racial misgivings could cost Obama the White House if the election is close.

In chastising McCain and running mate Sarah Palin, Lewis said, "There is no need for this hostility in our political discourse." He noted that Wallace also ran for president and "created the climate and the conditions that encouraged vicious attacks against innocent Americans who were simply trying to exercise their constitutional rights."

Later, Lewis said it was not his "intention or desire" to directly compare McCain or Palin to Wallace.

Obama's campaign said the Illinois senator didn't agree with the comparison. But McCain challenged Obama personally at the debate to repudiate the remarks that he called "very unfair and totally inappropriate."

Obama said Lewis' comments were not prompted by his campaign and that "he inappropriately drew a comparison between what was happening there and what had happened during the civil rights movement."

Among other examples:

_In San Bernardino County, Calif., the October newsletter of the Chaffey Community Republican Women, Federated, showed Obama's face on a phony $10 government food stamp coupon adorned with a watermelon, ribs and a bucket of fried chicken. Diane Fedele, president of the group, apologized and she had no racist intent: "It was just food to me. It didn't mean anything else." The state GOP denounced the newsletter.

_In Nevada, Colorado and Michigan, TV ads show a clip of Wright declaring "God damn America!" in a sermon. "How can we forget these hateful sermons from Obama's pastor for over 20 years?" says one ad by the Our Country Deserves Better PAC, a Sacramento, Calif.-based group that was formed to campaign against Obama.

_In Pennsylvania, Murtha said, "There is no question that western Pennsylvania is a racist area," as he talked about Obama's prospects for winning the state. He later apologized and said, "While we cannot deny that race is a factor in this election, I believe we've been able to look beyond race these past few months."

_In Danville, Va., The Voice, a local newspaper, published a column by McCain's Buchanan County campaign chairman, Bobby May, that mocked an Obama administration. It said he would change the national anthem to the "Black National Anthem" while mandating that churches teach black liberation theology. Also, it said Obama would appoint Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson to the Cabinet and put prominent blacks like Oprah Winfrey on currency. McCain's campaign dropped May from his job.

_In West Plains, Mo., a remote town of 10,000 people near the Arkansas border, a prominent highway sign by an unknown creator shows a turban-wearing cartoon caricature of Obama, with an exaggerated smile, full lips and oversized teeth. It says: "Barack 'Hussein' Obama equals more abortions, same-sex marriages, taxes, gun regulations."

____

Associated Press writer Alan Scher Zagier in West Plains, Mo., contributed to this report.

sheepshead
10-17-2008, 03:41 PM
There is a whole host of reasons not to vote for this guy, the color of his skin , not among them.

arcilite
10-17-2008, 03:45 PM
You see threads like these:

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=15108

It makes you agree with the article

GoPackGo
10-17-2008, 03:56 PM
You see threads like these:

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=15108

It makes you agree with the article

That was pretty tasteless and unfunny, but I think it was supposed to be a joke.

texaspackerbacker
10-17-2008, 03:58 PM
Accepting this article at face value, did you ever stop and ask yourself WHY?

The REASON is that Obama has taken extremist left wing anti-American/anti-Christian/anti-Free Enterprise positions on virtually every issue. Yet he stands a strong chance of getting elected.

WHY? BECAUSE of racism--because 90%+ of his race will undoubtedly vote for him--in many cases, simply BECAUSE of race.

If he wins THAT WAY, you don't think a bitter taste in the mouths of the good normal people who will have his leftist anti-American/anti-Christian/anti-Free Enterprise CRAP inflicted on them is justified? You don't think the DISDAIN for the racists who put him into office is justified?

And if you think the short term racist effect will be bad, just wait until America begins to feel the horrendously rotten consequences of the RACIST election of Obama: an economy severely dampened by his tax policies, courts packed with leftist judicial activists attack our fundamental culture and morality, a severely weakened level of American world dominance, and yes, very probably acts of terror on American soil--NOT prevented because Obama opposes all the things proven to prevent terrorist hits. WHO do you think is gonna get the blame? Those whining about racism now will then realize that they haven't seen anything yet.

Now imagine a Condoleeza Rice presidency or any of the relatively few other decent conservative black politicians who have the courage to get off the "liberal plantation", and who are in tune with the views and values of good normal Americans. Do you think we would see a rise in racism if THAT kind of politician ran and was elected? I really don't think so.

sheepshead
10-17-2008, 04:04 PM
I use baseball in this analogy. It took Jackie Robinson to break the color barrier in baseball. What the problem was with brothers back then was, God only knows. Buts that's the way it was around here.

So, it took Jackie Robinson...Jackie Robinson.to break that barrier. Mr. Obama, you are NO Jackie Robinson. Not by a long shot!

arcilite
10-17-2008, 04:04 PM
Ok... I will bite.

Which of his views are 'anti-american'.

And how is he 'anti-christian', He IS CHRISTIAN. And even if he was 'anti-christian' what does it matter?

Separation of Church and state anyone?

sheepshead
10-17-2008, 04:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDcQUcAjoeI

LL2
10-17-2008, 04:23 PM
Ok... I will bite.

And how is he 'anti-christian', He IS CHRISTIAN. And even if he was 'anti-christian' what does it matter?

Obama is not a Christian. I don't care what anyone thinks. Does he share the views of James Dobson, Pat Robertson, Joel Osteen, and others who are prominent Christian leaders in this country? Jeremiah Wright's church is called a Christian church, but his church does not align itself with Christian values. There are gay churches out there that call themselves Christian churches, which is pretty much an oxymoron.

Sarah Palin is more Christian than Obama - she went to an Assembly of God church. My father-in-law is an Assembly of God pastor in Texas so I now a little about that denomination.

texaspackerbacker
10-17-2008, 04:24 PM
I use baseball in this analogy. It took Jackie Robinson to break the color barrier in baseball. What the problem was with brothers back then was, God only knows. Buts that's the way it was around here.

So, it took Jackie Robinson...Jackie Robinson.to break that barrier. Mr. Obama, you are NO Jackie Robinson. Not by a long shot!

Exactly.

Jackie Robinson was EXCELLENT at his profession; Willie Mays and Hank Aaron were among the best ever. They did NOT get in BECAUSE they were black, but in spite of it. Obama arguably is one of the absolute WORST in his profession--especially if the standard is being in tune with the views and values of good normal Americans.

He is being rammed down our throats mainly by the leftist media, and in a close election, do the math. About 12-14% of the population is black. If 90%+ of those vote for the black candidate, that is .9 X .12 or .14, which is an 11-13% percent swing. In an election that is almost certainly going to be decided by single digits either way, RACISM determines the outcome.

And the victims of that RACISM aren't justified in being upset--having an uptick in negative feelings toward the RACISTS who inflected a candidate on them--us--who has such horrendous views and positions?

arcilite
10-17-2008, 04:26 PM
I want to see an atheist or someone who is agnostic in office.

mraynrand
10-17-2008, 04:31 PM
"_In Nevada, Colorado and Michigan, TV ads show a clip of Wright declaring "God damn America!" in a sermon. "How can we forget these hateful sermons from Obama's pastor for over 20 years?" says one ad by the Our Country Deserves Better PAC, a Sacramento, Calif.-based group that was formed to campaign against Obama. "
----

Can someone explain to me what is racist about the above?

---

Look, I'll say it now, and I'll say it again if Obama's elected: I hope he does well. Why? 1) He'll be my President 2) If he does well, it probably means that he's being pragmatic instead of dogmatic 3) It means he's standing up to the radical ideas of Pelosi and Reid 4) I want the country to do well. 5) It would be nice if we didn't have to criticize the guy all the time looking over our shoulders to see who is labeling us as racist.

I have to admit, I don't see it happening (him doing well as Pres, because of his ideology), but if he's elected, I wish him the best.

mraynrand
10-17-2008, 04:33 PM

I don't. I don't think they'd represent us all that well. This is still a largely religious nation that overwhelmingly believes in God.

texaspackerbacker
10-17-2008, 04:35 PM
Ok... I will bite.

While I agree completely with LL2's characterization of Obama and his religion, that is not precisely the point--at least not the worst of it. It is indisputable that Obama would make judicial appointments and do everything a chief executive can do to promote the things liberals have so consistently promoted which discriminate against the majority religion in this country--no, I didn't say "national religion" or anything like that--and which tear away at the values, culture, and moral fiber of the country.

As for which of his views are "anti-American", it might be a little bit more difficult to pin him down there since he's running for president, wearing a nice little flag on his lapel and all, but his association with Ayres and Wright, and the statements of his wife speak volumes about his TRUE perspective.

And that's not even getting into his policies of weakening our military, negotiating without pre-conditions with the worst of our enemies, and his adamant opposition to everything that has prevented repeats of 9/11.

Joemailman
10-17-2008, 04:38 PM
Ok... I will bite.

Obama is not a Christian. I don't care what anyone thinks. Does he share the views of James Dobson, Pat Robertson, Joel Osteen, and others who are prominent Christian leaders in this country? Jeremiah Wright's church is called a Christian church, but his church does not align itself with Christian values. There are gay churches out there that call themselves Christian churches, which is pretty much an oxymoron.

Sarah Palin is more Christian than Obama - she went to an Assembly of God church. My father-in-law is an Assembly of God pastor in Texas so I now a little about that denomination.

So a person can't be a Christian unless they have the same views as James Dobson and Pat Robertson? Guess again. Since you seem to know a lot about Christianity, would you care to tell me when Christ barred gays, or anyone else, from being a Christian?

texaspackerbacker
10-17-2008, 04:45 PM
Ok... I will bite.

So a person can't be a Christian unless they have the same views as James Dobson and Pat Robertson? Guess again. Since you seem to know a lot about Christianity, would you care to tell me when Christ barred gays, or anyone else, from being a Christian?

Gays barred gays from being Christian--unless, of course, they repent of their sins, in which case, they're as welcome as anybody. Trouble is, you'd be hard pressed to find gays that accept the Biblical line about "men lying with men as women" or whatever as labeling their behavior as an abomination.

Funny how it's always the liberals who defend homosexuality and usually the conservatives who oppose it. Why do you suppose that is?

Scott Campbell
10-17-2008, 04:45 PM
That was pretty tasteless and unfunny...........

Well for those who didn't notice, that seems to be what Skin was shooting for - tasteless and unfunny. I don't think he was being serious. I'd hardly use it as a barometer for race relations in this country

mraynrand
10-17-2008, 05:05 PM
What 'qualifies' you as a Christian can get pretty convoluted by society - whether it be Catholics who are pro-choice, 'pro-war' Christians, sinners who believe, etc. I suggest reading Luke chapter 23, beginning with the 39th verse to get a straightforward idea of what a Christian actually must be, to be a Christian.

I have no idea whether Obama is or is not a true Christian. The way he's affiliated himself with certain churches for political expediency and then abandoned them for the same reason, saying he will not join a church until after the election strikes me as disingenuous and fishy. But that's meaningless. What he believes in his mind is all that matters as far as his soul is concerned, and that's between him and God.

As a politician, all I want to know is how his policies will impact the free practice of religion in the United States, and how his religious views will affect his policies. Based on his actions, I don't see him as being all that good for people of faith.

retailguy
10-17-2008, 05:45 PM

Why? In what way would this "improve" society in your view?

Scott Campbell
10-17-2008, 06:02 PM

The treasury would save piles of cash not having to print "In God We Trust" on all of our coins.

mraynrand
10-17-2008, 06:29 PM

The treasury would save piles of cash not having to print "In God We Trust" on all of our coins.

Printing "In Obama We Trust" is 1/6 more expensive.

Joemailman
10-17-2008, 06:42 PM
I think it's inherently impossible to know whether an agnostic could be a good President.

Zool
10-17-2008, 07:36 PM
Funny how it's always the liberals who defend homosexuality and usually the conservatives who oppose it. Why do you suppose that is?

Well does opposing it mean tapping your foot in an airport bathroom, or molesting alter boys. I'm confused.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-17-2008, 07:54 PM

I don't know. Prolly the same reason they defend all race, color and creed.

I think conservatives oppose it as a way to hide their true nature: Newt with an affair, Foley with little boys, some guy with a wide stance, Fossela with a child out of wed lock, from cambell's neck of the woods..daniel thompson..arrested for sex acts with a 14 year old and Balfour elected to the Republican State Central Committee in 2007 while awaiting trial on 4 felony accounts, Bob Allen's fear of black people causing him to offer oral to an undercover officer, John Bryan who committed suicide during investigation of molesting three girls, Donald Fleischman, Brown County, Wi... charged with two counts of child enticement, two counts of contributing to the delinquency of a child and a single charge of exposing himself to a child, David Vittner, junior Senator from Louisiana, became one of the few high-profile politicians to be implicated as a client of "D.C. Madam"

Louis Beres, chairman of the Christian Coalition of Oregon. 3 of his family members accuse him of molesting them when they were pre-teens. In August 06, Beres confessed.

Ted Haggard, was fired as pastor of the New Life Church and resigned from his position as president of the National Association of Evangelicals in November 2006 after a former male prostitute alleged they had a cash-for-sex relationship.

Jeffrey Ray Nielsen, Christian conservative activist and lawyer with close ties to Republican Congressman Dana Rohrabacher and Scott Baugh, head of the Orange County Republican Party, was arrested for having sex with a 14-year old boy.

Jeffrey Patti, Republican Committee Chairman, was arrested for distributing what experts call "some of the most offensive material in the child pornography world" - a video clip of a 5-year-old girl being raped.

Dr. W. David Hager Bush appointee, member of Focus on the Family's Physician Resource Council, player in movement to ban the morning-after-pill. Had an adulterous affair, before divorcing his wife he sexually abused her, including sodomizing her in her sleep.

Neal Horsley has called for the arrest of all homosexuals. During an interview with Alan Colmes on the Fox News Radio's The Alan Colmes Show, he admitted to having engaged in sex with a mule at age 11. "When you grow up on a farm in Georgia, your first girlfriend is a mule," he said. He then credited Jesus with forgiving and cleansing him of his "sin."

Paul Crouch Televangelist, Former President of Trinity Broadcasting Network (TBN). Paid $425,000 in hush money in an attempt to cover up a gay affair.

Jeff Gannon, partisan blogger with no journalism credentials and a fake name who got invited to Bush's Press conferences. Is also a pimp and a gay prostitute.

Ed Schrock, two-term republican congressman, with a 92% approval rating from the Christian Coalition. Cosponsor of the Federal Marriage Amendment, consistently opposed gay rights. Married, with wife and kids. Withdrew his candidacy for a third term after tapes of him soliciting for gay sex were circulated.

Should i go on?

retailguy
10-17-2008, 08:11 PM
I think it's inherently impossible to know whether an agnostic could be a good President.

Well, that would be my view. I can't wait to hear Arcilite's view.

Ayn, we don't need to print "In Obama We trust". We can just wait thirty months until he rises from the dead as the "anti Christ", then we can keep right on printing "In god We Trust".....(We just have to use a small "g") :P :wink:

Zool
10-17-2008, 09:05 PM

Well, that would be my view. I can't wait to hear Arcilite's view.

Ayn, we don't need to print "In Obama We trust". We can just wait thirty months until he rises from the dead as the "anti Christ", then we can keep right on printing "In god We Trust".....(We just have to use a small "g") :P :wink:

Actually the anti-christ will be rising from the desert in the middle east in a few years. Or so some book I read once said.

Iron Mike
10-17-2008, 09:13 PM
Actually the anti-christ will be rising from the desert in the middle east in a few years. Or so some book I read once said.

I think the Antichrist is Palestinian. :roll:

The latest thing I read was how America went to war in Iraq to find two books which are buried in the desert about good and evil and the two books together give the owner ultimate power.

Either that, or I dreamed it all up after I had a coronary thrombosis burger from Jack In The Box just before I went to bed.

texaspackerbacker
10-17-2008, 09:23 PM
Tyrone, the simple fact is that the leftists--from the Dem/lib leadership right on down to the likes of you--are responsible for mainstreaming the abomination of homosexuality and lifting it above similar abominations like pedophilia, bestiality, etc.

This thread has now been co-opted, as so often happens, from the valid original question about America putting racism in our rear view mirror. The answer to that, I say again, is that bad feelings over race will escalate--and very justifiably so--due to the likelihood of Obama winning by a margin less than the 11-13% he gains from blatant black racism--the 90%+ of blacks voting for the black candidate, thereby inflicting the horrors of leftist policies and their consequences on the American people.

The CURE--the way America will most certainly move beyond racism--ironically leaving racism to the sick America-hating leftists--would be for a good conservative black candidate to rise up and be elected--Condoleeza Rice, Michael Steele, etc.

mraynrand
10-18-2008, 01:11 AM
The CURE--the way America will most certainly move beyond racism--ironically leaving racism to the sick America-hating leftists--would be for a good conservative black candidate to rise up and be elected--Condoleeza Rice, Michael Steele, etc.

How about Colin Powell??? :D

mraynrand
10-18-2008, 01:16 AM

I think conservatives oppose it as a way to hide their true nature: Newt with an affair, Foley with little boys, some guy with a wide stance, Fossela with a child out of wed lock, from cambell's neck of the woods..daniel thompson..arrested for sex acts with a 14 year old and Balfour elected to the Republican State Central Committee in 2007 while awaiting trial on 4 felony accounts, Bob Allen's fear of black people causing him to offer oral to an undercover officer, John Bryan who committed suicide during investigation of molesting three girls, Donald Fleischman, Brown County, Wi... charged with two counts of child enticement, two counts of contributing to the delinquency of a child and a single charge of exposing himself to a child, David Vittner, junior Senator from Louisiana, became one of the few high-profile politicians to be implicated as a client of "D.C. Madam"

Louis Beres, chairman of the Christian Coalition of Oregon. 3 of his family members accuse him of molesting them when they were pre-teens. In August 06, Beres confessed.

Ted Haggard, was fired as pastor of the New Life Church and resigned from his position as president of the National Association of Evangelicals in November 2006 after a former male prostitute alleged they had a cash-for-sex relationship.

Jeffrey Ray Nielsen, Christian conservative activist and lawyer with close ties to Republican Congressman Dana Rohrabacher and Scott Baugh, head of the Orange County Republican Party, was arrested for having sex with a 14-year old boy.

Jeffrey Patti, Republican Committee Chairman, was arrested for distributing what experts call "some of the most offensive material in the child pornography world" - a video clip of a 5-year-old girl being raped.

Dr. W. David Hager Bush appointee, member of Focus on the Family's Physician Resource Council, player in movement to ban the morning-after-pill. Had an adulterous affair, before divorcing his wife he sexually abused her, including sodomizing her in her sleep.

Neal Horsley has called for the arrest of all homosexuals. During an interview with Alan Colmes on the Fox News Radio's The Alan Colmes Show, he admitted to having engaged in sex with a mule at age 11. "When you grow up on a farm in Georgia, your first girlfriend is a mule," he said. He then credited Jesus with forgiving and cleansing him of his "sin."

Paul Crouch Televangelist, Former President of Trinity Broadcasting Network (TBN). Paid $425,000 in hush money in an attempt to cover up a gay affair.

Jeff Gannon, partisan blogger with no journalism credentials and a fake name who got invited to Bush's Press conferences. Is also a pimp and a gay prostitute.

Ed Schrock, two-term republican congressman, with a 92% approval rating from the Christian Coalition. Cosponsor of the Federal Marriage Amendment, consistently opposed gay rights. Married, with wife and kids. Withdrew his candidacy for a third term after tapes of him soliciting for gay sex were circulated.

Should i go on?

I think the pattern you see there is one of "The lady doth protest too much, methinks." I am always pretty suspicious of the really loud, in your face, frothing at the mouth sexual prudes. But I think it's moronic to suggest that conservatives in general use it to 'hide their true nature.' That's pretty much a Tyism.

Fosco33
10-18-2008, 11:12 AM
Blacks historically vote 90% democrat - the fact that it's 95% this election doesn't concern me as much as an entire race voting for the party that promises them the most money...

Loose fiscal policy will be downfall of our society.

apathy, dependence, bondage...

Tyrone Bigguns
10-18-2008, 06:46 PM

Should i go on?

I think the pattern you see there is one of "The lady doth protest too much, methinks." I am always pretty suspicious of the really loud, in your face, frothing at the mouth sexual prudes. But I think it's moronic to suggest that conservatives in general use it to 'hide their true nature.' That's pretty much a Tyism.

You can come out of the closet.

HowardRoark
10-18-2008, 06:57 PM
What 'qualifies' you as a Christian can get pretty convoluted by society - whether it be Catholics who are pro-choice, 'pro-war' Christians, sinners who believe, etc. I suggest reading Luke chapter 23, beginning with the 39th verse to get a straightforward idea of what a Christian actually must be, to be a Christian.

I have no idea whether Obama is or is not a true Christian. The way he's affiliated himself with certain churches for political expediency and then abandoned them for the same reason, saying he will not join a church until after the election strikes me as disingenuous and fishy. But that's meaningless. What he believes in his mind is all that matters as far as his soul is concerned, and that's between him and God.

As a politician, all I want to know is how his policies will impact the free practice of religion in the United States, and how his religious views will affect his policies. Based on his actions, I don't see him as being all that good for people of faith.

Good stuff...in fact we don't really do much at all to be a Christian, it's pretty much what Christ did.

retailguy
10-18-2008, 07:37 PM

Good stuff...in fact we don't really do much at all to be a Christian, it's pretty much what Christ did.

I haven't done anything, but, take advantage of the free gift of grace.

texaspackerbacker
10-18-2008, 08:11 PM
Blacks historically vote 90% democrat - the fact that it's 95% this election doesn't concern me as much as an entire race voting for the party that promises them the most money...

Which race did you have in mind?

What you are describing is LIBERALISM, and that dirty word is sickly pervasive across all racial lines.

As somebody stated in a post above, though, one particular race votes that way a consistent 90% of the time and 95% this time.

BTW, if by "loose fiscal policy", you mean "deficit spending", a big No Way to that as the downfall of society. Check out the writings of John Maynard Keynes.

Partial
10-19-2008, 01:48 AM
Rascism towards non-caucasians is rare these days.

People of other races get into great schools they aren't qualified for just to meet quotas. Anna went to college at Madison with a girl who in freshman honors english could not write a paragraph. This, at one of the midwest's best schools, when plenty of much more qualified people get denied.

They get jobs to fill quotas as well. See affirmative action.

There is a big difference from not liking or wanting to affiliate with someone when they're a different race, and not liking or wanting to affiliate with someone BECAUSE they're a different race. HUGE difference, and quite frankly I am fed up with this being misconstrued as racism.

The only racism I see is towards me, the suburban white middle class person. Racism towards non-caucasians is something that is more of an excuse and a cop-out in my opinion. Sure, there are a few bad apples here and there. But 1% doesn't ruin the batch.

funny story.. At work the other day, I was talking about poor people and trickle up economics, and joe gangster from the hood. Somebody called me racist. I had never mentioned anything about race. I went and told him that maybe he has some pent up racial stereotypes, because I had not mentioned anything at all pertaining to the color of ones skin. That shut him up right quick.

texaspackerbacker
10-19-2008, 11:08 PM
Well, we have the latest sterling example of NOT getting beyond racism.

A well known black guy endorsed the BLACK candidate, clearly BECAUSE The One he endorsed is BLACK--in spite of the fact that the black guy he endorsed is on the opposite side of practically every issue, especially the important ones, security, defense, and the economy.

In light of this BLATANT RACISM, could anybody possibly whine and rant against a logical and very justified BACKLASH against this racist act and the candidate it benefits?

There are far better reasons to oppose Obama than anything racial. The point is, though, the piece of crap stands a strong chance of being elected BECAUSE of racism--the 10-12% swing resulting from 90-95% of a 12-14% minority voting for him. And if that happens, the whole country runs a strong risk of losing thousands, even millions of people to terrorist hits as well as the wonderful life of freedom and prosperity we all have--which could all be gone if the terrorist hits were bad enough.

arcilite
10-19-2008, 11:10 PM
I'm white and I'm going to vote for Obama.

Guess I am racist too.

Joemailman
10-19-2008, 11:26 PM
Well, we have the latest sterling example of NOT getting beyond racism.

A well known black guy endorsed the BLACK candidate, clearly BECAUSE The One he endorsed is BLACK--in spite of the fact that the black guy he endorsed is on the opposite side of practically every issue, especially the important ones, security, defense, and the economy.

In light of this BLATANT RACISM, could anybody possibly whine and rant against a logical and very justified BACKLASH against this racist act and the candidate it benefits?

There are far better reasons to oppose Obama than anything racial. The point is, though, the piece of crap stands a strong chance of being elected BECAUSE of racism--the 10-12% swing resulting from 90-95% of a 12-14% minority voting for him. And if that happens, the whole country runs a strong risk of losing thousands, even millions of people to terrorist hits as well as the wonderful life of freedom and prosperity we all have--which could all be gone if the terrorist hits were bad enough.

So Colin Powell, one of the most respected men in America, is a racist because he endorses Obama? Gosh, why would anyone think your views are extremist, and not just normal Americanism?

bobblehead
10-20-2008, 12:20 AM

Guess I am racist too.

nope..just foolish.

Zool
10-20-2008, 07:49 AM

Guess I am racist too.

nope..just foolish.

Name caller

hoosier
10-20-2008, 07:54 AM
Not extremist, not foolish, just irrelevant.

bobblehead
10-20-2008, 10:14 AM

Guess I am racist too.

nope..just foolish.

Name caller

Sorry, I couldn't come up with a better response to such a foolish post.

3irty1
10-20-2008, 10:19 AM
For every black American who will vote for Obama just because he is black there has to be at least one white American who will vote against Obama because he is black. Racism might not be prominent or violent as in the past but in the privacy of the voting booth it is going to come out. Sad? Maybe but I'm not sure you can ask for more from the masses.

sheepshead
10-20-2008, 10:24 AM

This is a very good point. Reagan would have given his right arm for 10%-he never got it.