PDA

View Full Version : Blitzing

texaspackerbacker
10-18-2008, 07:58 PM
As I watch college games on Saturday, the same as when I watch pro games on Sunday, over and over and over again, I see blitzing that fails to get the QB and ends up have bad results for the blitzing team. It must be every bit of 10 to 1 in favor of bad results to good results for teams blitzing.

Yet over and over and over again, I read posts in here and other forums from people who want the Packers to blitz more.

I'm against it. I've consistently been against it. A good bend-don't-break defense got the job done for Lombardi, and it is what gets the job done for most good teams most of the time nowadays.

digitaldean
10-18-2008, 09:04 PM
I'd be in favor of less biitzing.

That being said, they still need to do it. But, man, Sanders has to disguise his blitzes better. They are telegraphed so early that just about any decent offense can knock it back.

oregonpackfan
10-18-2008, 11:25 PM
I agree with d-dean's post.

Rastak
10-19-2008, 06:19 AM
As I watch college games on Saturday, the same as when I watch pro games on Sunday, over and over and over again, I see blitzing that fails to get the QB and ends up have bad results for the blitzing team. It must be every bit of 10 to 1 in favor of bad results to good results for teams blitzing.

Yet over and over and over again, I read posts in here and other forums from people who want the Packers to blitz more.

I'm against it. I've consistently been against it. A good bend-don't-break defense got the job done for Lombardi, and it is what gets the job done for most good teams most of the time nowadays.

Perfect world you never blitz. You generate a kick-ass rush with four. Rarely is the world perfect though so you need to get that pass rush somehow.

If you disguise your blitzes they can be very very effective. If they see them coming a mile away they can simply throw to the vacant spot on the field and usually a substantial gain results.

In conclusion, all blitzes are not created equal. I am all for a well thought out blitz or taking a chance sending everyone when the situation warrents it. Blitzing all day long is probably not the best.

bobblehead
10-19-2008, 06:22 AM
I agree with your thesis, but no blitz = NE superbowl champs

sheepshead
10-19-2008, 09:09 AM
Depends strictly on the qb. Less with Manning more with T. Jackson etc.

Zool
10-19-2008, 11:19 AM
How about some middle ground here?

Pugger
10-19-2008, 11:38 AM
Blitzing is fine IF you get to the QB. If you don't you're gonna get burned more often than not. :(

sheepshead
10-19-2008, 02:12 PM
Blitzing is fine IF you get to the QB. If you don't you're gonna get burned more often than not. :(

LOL--gee whiz never thought of THAT!

texaspackerbacker
10-19-2008, 08:08 PM

LOL--gee whiz never thought of THAT!

Combine that fact with the likelihood of getting to the QB, and you end up with the 10 to 1 or so bad things to good things ratio I spoke of.

Today's game was a glorious example of the good things that happen when you DON'T blitz much.

Look what blitzing got the Jets in OT--and that was against Russell who ain't exactly Peyton Manning when it comes to experience--but he was good enough to make the blitzing team pay with a loss.

bobblehead
10-19-2008, 08:22 PM
How about some middle ground here?

exactly...scheme and personel along with other factors determine how much/often you blitz. The Giants knew they couldn't give brady ANY time to throw so they sent the wolves.....except on third and long when the front 4 could pin the ears and ignore the run.

There is no black and white answer here. I agree with tex that bad things can happen and if you match up well and can avoid blitzing you do that....but sometimes you need to release the hounds if the other QB is getting comfortable or your D isn't executing straight up.

Another factor is the offense...if you have Grossman for a QB your D has to not just stop the offense, but set up there own offense...this requires more in your face high risk high return play. Do you have playmakers, can you count on turnovers with your personel? Does your offense need the help...has the D been on the field too long and really needs a turnover or 3 and out...all these things factor in.