PDA

View Full Version : Glazer: Favre helped Detroit gameplan vs. Pack

digitaldean
10-19-2008, 12:22 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/10/19/favre-helped-lions-prepare-for-packers/

Take this with a grain of salt or a bucket of salt (depending on your preferences)

Wow.

Wow.

To the extent that any doubt remained regarding the status of the relationship between the Packers and former quarterback Brett Favre, it’s now completely gone.

Per Jay Glazer of FOX, Favre spent 60-to-90 minutes before the Week Two game between the Lions and the Packers educating the Detroit coaching staff regarding the Packers’ offensive strategies.

Did we say wow?

Glazer says that Favre initially called former CEO Matt Millen, who then put Favre in touch with the coaches.

In our view, Brett’s legacy with the Packers has officially been forever stained, if not completely destroyed – unless Favre immediately denies the report, and unless people believe it.

Wow.

The next question is whether and to what extent Favre shared similar information with the Vikings (where his former position coach is the offensive coordinator) before Week One, or with the Seahawks (where his former head coach is the head coach) before Week Six.

If so, Brett’s advice didn’t work. The Packers won all three games.
____

arcilite
10-19-2008, 12:24 PM
That's a pretty low thing to do. I wonder how Donald Driver or Greg JEnnings feel about him doing that.

MOBB DEEP
10-19-2008, 12:26 PM
WHOA...

GBRulz
10-19-2008, 12:27 PM
If this were a fluff piece about Favre, people would be bitching that it belongs in the Favre thread. Which btw, it already is.

From the way it's reported, it seems pretty shitty. But on the other hand, how do you know he wasn't telling them inaccurate info. Last time I checked, we did win that game.

Whatever, you either like him or you don't. This story or anything else won't change your mind.

Rastak
10-19-2008, 12:29 PM
This is in two other threads already.

digitaldean
10-19-2008, 12:31 PM
If the mods wish to move this into the Favre thread (or kill it), that's OK with me.

But for those who don't want to keep reading the Favre thread, I'd thought it interesting since it truly does affect the team, not just the TT/MM/BF "love triangle".

MOBB DEEP
10-19-2008, 12:33 PM
If this were a fluff piece about Favre, people would be bitching that it belongs in the Favre thread. Which btw, it already is.

From the way it's reported, it seems pretty shitty. But on the other hand, how do you know he wasn't telling them inaccurate info. Last time I checked, we did win that game.

Whatever, you either like him or you don't. This story or anything else won't change your mind.

the whole "keep it in 1 thread" thing is SO over...

GBRulz
10-19-2008, 12:36 PM
Well, I will continue my Favre posting in that thread. Do as you see fit, Mobb.

TheCheese
10-19-2008, 12:38 PM

Bull shit, I love Favre but if this story is true I'm going to be pissed. What a fucking classless thing to do.

boiga
10-19-2008, 12:41 PM
the whole "keep it in 1 thread" thing is over... Too bad, I rather liked that particular thing. At least it lasted through the civil war that started the season.

I'll wait on permanently condemning favre until his post game press conference and the resulting media scrutiny. This would be the last straw if true though.

Patler
10-19-2008, 12:43 PM
But on the other hand, how do you know he wasn't telling them inaccurate info. Last time I checked, we did win that game.

The story implies that Favre initiated the contact. I can't imagine he would go out of his way to do that to relay inaccurate information. No, it is more likely he was trying to get even, if he was the one who initiated it.

And I disagree about your conclusion, if this story is true, I think it could change the minds of a lot of people about Favre.

MOBB DEEP
10-19-2008, 12:44 PM

so u REALLY thinks it makes sense to "control" the favre threads?

even though i started that thread i dont agree that things "have" to stay there. why?

who would allow a a thread on a public forum to irritate them in 2008? SO many REAL issues in this crazy world to b concerned with imo

GBRulz
10-19-2008, 12:45 PM
Perhaps, but like alot of media reports, will be ever know the whole truth? I'll agree if it's exactly like the story says, it's a pretty shitty thing to do on his behalf. However, I'd like to hear Favre's reply to this all. I mean, he's such a media whore, I'm sure he'll have something to say about it.

GBRulz
10-19-2008, 12:48 PM

so u REALLY thinks it makes sense to "control" the favre threads?

even though i started that thread i dont agree that things "have" to stay there. why?

who would allow a a thread on a public forum to irritate them in 2008? SO many REAL issues in this crazy world to b concerned with imo

I'm not at all saying it as a way to control the favre threads. Many of us on here are genuinely interested in following what he's been up to. Having all of his articles in one spot was an ideal solution. However, the anti Favre fans couldn't seem to stop with their attacks, so people just kinda said, screw it.

MOBB DEEP
10-19-2008, 12:49 PM
Perhaps, but like alot of media reports, will be ever know the whole truth? I'll agree if it's exactly like the story says, it's a pretty shitty thing to do on his behalf. However, I'd like to hear Favre's reply to this all. I mean, he's such a media whore, I'm sure he'll have something to say about it.

what exactly is a media whore?

do u think brett "asked" for attention or he became such a "good" interview that media sought/seek him out?

Rastak
10-19-2008, 12:51 PM

True about knowing the truth but he absolutely can't admit it so definately we'll not know.

GBRulz
10-19-2008, 12:53 PM

do u think brett "asked" for attention or he became such a "good" interview that media sought/seek him out?

OMG, do you not read any my posts to know that I was being 100% sarcastic about the media whore comment?

red
10-19-2008, 12:54 PM
seems like more proof that favre feels like he was really really really really screwed over by TT and m3

we still don't know the whole true story about what happened there either

personally, if i feel i'm screwed over, i do my best to sabotage the people that screwed me

Rastak
10-19-2008, 12:56 PM
seems like more proof that favre feels like he was really really really really screwed over by TT and m3

personally, if i feel i'm screwed over, i do my best to sabotage the people that screwed me

I'd move on but each person is different.

jramsey495
10-19-2008, 12:59 PM
changes my mind a lot if it's true, and i don't see how there's any middle ground on this... i've cheered for the jets and hoped he does well, but if he really did that, what a low-down sob... i think that will change people's opinions A LOT, and for a long, long time... and it will change everyone's image of him. how could he sell his old teammates out like that?

red
10-19-2008, 12:59 PM

yup

i'm the vendetta type

MOBB DEEP
10-19-2008, 01:04 PM

OMG, do you not read any my posts to know that I was being 100% sarcastic about the media whore comment?

oops

pack4to84
10-19-2008, 01:16 PM
might have to burn my Favre jersey

]{ilr]3
10-19-2008, 01:19 PM
IF this is true how do we not know he didnt do the same thing for the Cowboys? or Tampa Bay or the Falcons? Honestly the Cowboys seemed to have our number the entire game. And Favre calling Romo to encourage him to get back on the field faster?

This is as low as I have ever seen any Pro Athlete sink if any of this has a lick of truth to it! :evil:

Joemailman
10-19-2008, 01:21 PM
Packer sites have now picked up he story.
http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/10/19/report-favre-helped-lions-prepare-for-packers.aspx

If Favre doesn't deny it, or apologize for having done it, it will be a huge black eye for him. He will have made it very difficult for people to continue to think of him in a positive light.

GrnBay007
10-19-2008, 01:22 PM
Maybe he used that imaginary cell phone the Packers issued him to make the call. Kinda like when he had contact with the Vikings.

MOBB DEEP
10-19-2008, 01:34 PM
60-90 minutes? DAYUM.....thats a long time

Scott Campbell
10-19-2008, 01:56 PM
Hmmmmm. Hopefully he helps Indy out this week. :lol:

Brett has always been a much better player than he is a thinker.

MOBB DEEP
10-19-2008, 02:02 PM
Hmmmmm. Hopefully he helps Indy out this week. :lol:

Brett has always been a much better player than he is a thinker.

did u at least get 30 pieces of silver?

sheepshead
10-19-2008, 02:10 PM

Great way to live your life!

If this IS true about Favre, he has sunk to a new immature low as a man. Unless he publicly denies it on Monday, we have to assume it's true.

Scott Campbell
10-19-2008, 02:18 PM
Packer sites have now picked up he story.
http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/10/19/report-favre-helped-lions-prepare-for-packers.aspx

If Favre doesn't deny it, or apologize for having done it, it will be a huge black eye for him. He will have made it very difficult for people to continue to think of him in a positive light.

I think it would completely legitimize all the "traitor" talk.

Scott Campbell
10-19-2008, 02:27 PM
This story or anything else won't change your mind.

If this story is true, it should change a lot of minds. I think the behavior borders on criminal.

Scott Campbell
10-19-2008, 02:41 PM
Hmmmm.

Economic Espionage
Act of 1996

President Clinton's signature on the Economic Espionage Act of 1996 culminated a nearly two-year effort on the part of the FBI and U.S. industry professionals to provide new legal tools to prosecute those who commit economic espionage by stealing trade secrets. The Economic Espionage Act (EEA) specifically proscribes the various acts defined under economic espionage and addresses the U.S. national and economic security aspects of the crime. The law also addresses the theft of trade secrets where no foreign involvement is found.

As defined in the Economic Espionage Act of 1996, the term trade secret refers to all forms and types of financial, business, scientific, technical, economic or engineering information, including patterns, plans, compilations, program devices, formulas, designs, prototypes, methods, techniques, processes, procedures, programs, or codes, whether tangible or intangible, and whether or how stored, compiled, or memorialized physically, electronically, graphically, photographically, or in writing if:

* The owner thereof has taken reasonable measures to keep such information secret, and;
* The information derives independent economic value, actual or potential, from not being generally known to, and not being readily ascertainable through proper means by the public.

The owner of a trade secret is the person or entity that has rightful legal or equitable title to, or license in, the trade secret.

Before the enactment of the EEA, there was virtually no federal statute that outlawed the theft of trade secrets. Federal prosecutors were limited to using laws such as the Interstate Transportation of Stolen Property Act, the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, and Mail and Wire Fraud statutes, to prosecute individuals for the theft of trade secrets. Due to the limitations and inadequacies of these laws in prosecuting the theft of trade secrets, it became evident that a new federal statute was needed.
Provisions

The EEA contains two separate provisions that make the theft or misappropriation of trade secrets a federal criminal offense. The first provision, under Section 1831, is directed toward foreign economic espionage and requires that the theft of a trade secret be done to benefit a foreign government, any instrument of a foreign government, or foreign agent. In contrast, the second provision, under Section 1832, makes the commercial theft of trade secrets a criminal act regardless of who benefits.

Reflecting the more serious nature of economic espionage, a defendant convicted for violating Section 1831 can be imprisoned for up to 15 years and fined $500,000 or both. Corporations and other organizations can be fined up to $10 million. A defendant convicted for theft of trade secrets under Section 1832 can be imprisoned for up to 10 years and fined $500,000 or both. Corporations and other entities can be fined no more than $5 million.

A defendant cannot be convicted under the EEA if it is proven that the elements of a trade secret were discovered through parallel development or reverse engineering. In addition, the EEA does not apply to individuals who seek to capitalize on their lawfully developed knowledge, skills, or abilities. The EEA also does not prohibit legitimate economic collection or reporting by personnel of foreign governments by lawful means.

The EEA provides that the court, in imposing sentencing, "shall" order the forfeiture of any proceeds or property derived from violations of the EEA, and may order the forfeiture of any property used to commit or to facilitate the commission of the crime. While the EEA does not provide for civil forfeiture proceedings, it does authorize the government to file a civil action seeking injunctive relief.

The law may be applied to offenses outside the U.S. if any act in furtherance of the offense was committed in the U.S. or the offender is a U.S. person or organization.

Before the EEA was passed, victims of trade secret thefts were faced with the dilemma that by reporting the matter to law enforcement authorities the trade secret may be publicly revealed during criminal prosecution. The EEA provides that courts must issue orders necessary to protect the confidentiality of trade secrets, consistent with Federal Rules of Procedure and the Constitution. The prosecution is permitted to immediately appeal any order authorizing or directing disclosure of a trade secret.

The EEA should serve as a powerful deterrent and is a very important law enforcement and security management tool for protecting intellectual property rights. The EEA is not intended to convert all thefts of trade secrets into criminal cases; however, the EEA substantially raises the stakes in the arena of economic espionage.

To report violations of the EEA or to obtain additional information, contact the local FBI Awareness of National Security Issues and Response (ANSIR) coordinator. Telephone numbers for FBI field offices are listed in most telephone directories.

Reference
Largely copied from Annual Report to Congress on Foreign Economic Collection and Industrial Espionage, June 1997, and brochure The Economic Espionage Act of 1996: A Brief Guide, both prepared by the National Counterintelligence Center.

digitaldean
10-19-2008, 02:44 PM
Wow, SC.... you sickin' the Feds on ol' Brett?? :D

Scott Campbell
10-19-2008, 02:46 PM
Wow, SC.... you sickin' the Feds on ol' Brett?? :D

Nah, just wondering if it's possibly a felony or not. Probably nuthin.

GBRulz
10-19-2008, 03:26 PM
:roll:

Fosco33
10-19-2008, 03:46 PM
I really hope Brett was smarter than that... if true that's one of the cheapest things I've ever heard (but certainly not the first or last instance of cheating in the NFL).

Think about when players (like Grant) are cut and signed by a team you play (Giants) the next week.

Or awhile ago when Packers had a copy of some playbook (or scripted plays) - I think on a MNF game like 15 years ago.

oregonpackfan
10-19-2008, 07:07 PM
This whole topic is something right out of the class of magazines sold next to the grocery story checkout lines. :roll:

I just don't think that Favre would stoop that low. I guess revenge would be the primary motive but that just seems beyond his demeanor.

RashanGary
10-19-2008, 07:09 PM
I just don't think that Favre would stoop that low. I guess revenge would be the primary motive but that just seems beyond his demeanor.

Did you listen to his Greta interview? Did you pay attention this offseason at all? This is not outside of Favre's typical behavior it true. It's a suprise because the idea of a player doing that for another team never crossed my mind, but it's not a suprise at all because it's Brett Favre. That makes it more believable if anything.

GBRulz
10-19-2008, 07:10 PM
This whole topic is something right out of the class of magazines sold next to the grocery story checkout lines. :roll:

That's how I feel, OPF. Something doesn't seem quite right about this. Like many of the stories we hear, we'll never know the truth, so I won't get all bent out of shape over it.

If people believe everything they read, then they better be prepared because Hillary just had a 60# alien baby who will be running for President in 2048.

MJZiggy
10-19-2008, 07:11 PM
I don't know, OPF. He did try to get traded to Minnesota so he could play against the Packers. What if he just found another way to do it?

MOBB DEEP
10-19-2008, 07:11 PM

Did you listen to his Greta interview? Did you pay attention this offseason at all? This is not outside of Favre's typical behavior.

i guess u're convinced its tru huh??!!

GBRulz
10-19-2008, 07:12 PM

Did you listen to his Greta interview? Did you pay attention this offseason at all? This is not outside of Favre's typical behavior.

I disagree. It's no secret that he has beef with TT, but to throw his entire ex teammates to the curb like this, I dunno. There has to be more to it.

RashanGary
10-19-2008, 07:16 PM

I guess you have some sort of mental disablity that impares your reading comprehension :)

BallHawk
10-19-2008, 07:20 PM

I guess you have some sort of mental disablity that impares your reading comprehension :)

Dude, he goes to Georgetown. I wouldn't mess with him, he's some type of genius or something.

MJZiggy
10-19-2008, 07:23 PM
Isn't that where Tank claimed to have gone?

BallHawk
10-19-2008, 07:25 PM

Yes, it is.

hoosier
10-19-2008, 07:40 PM
{ilr]3]IF this is true how do we not know he didnt do the same thing for the Cowboys? or Tampa Bay or the Falcons? Honestly the Cowboys seemed to have our number the entire game. And Favre calling Romo to encourage him to get back on the field faster?

This is as low as I have ever seen any Pro Athlete sink if any of this has a lick of truth to it! :evil:

We know Favre didn't talk to those teams because they ended up beating the Packers. :lol:

Deputy Nutz
10-19-2008, 08:19 PM
I for one choose not to believe it. I would really hate for this to be true because I would really lose all the respect I have ever had for Favre, and for all of you that know me on this forum no that is a hell of a lot.

I for one understand a vendetta, but to have done this, that means Favre would have thrown all of his former teammates under the bus, and that to a man just isn't right. If you are that pissed at TT and McCarthy to do something like that why not just seriously bash them in the media, and relay even more of your private conversations with Thompson and McCarthy.

I agree with what Charles Woodson said about it, but again I just can't believe that it is true, and if it is found to be false either Glazer needs to reveal his sources, or he needs to get his ass kicked.

bobblehead
10-19-2008, 08:29 PM
But on the other hand, how do you know he wasn't telling them inaccurate info. Last time I checked, we did win that game.

The story implies that Favre initiated the contact. I can't imagine he would go out of his way to do that to relay inaccurate information. No, it is more likely he was trying to get even, if he was the one who initiated it.

And I disagree about your conclusion, if this story is true, I think it could change the minds of a lot of people about Favre.

I'm withholding judgement til its verified or at least more research is done...BUT if it is true my positive feelings towards favre would pretty much be completely gone. I'm still going to believe the best for now and appreciate all he has done as I have all along (even though I backed the organization in the dispute). During that time it was heated emotions and brett wanting to play...I never held that too much against him as it is normal human reaction....but 6 weeks later after the fact and after emotion should have died down to intentionally sabotage your former teammates....that would be a low down dirty selfish act of a spoiled 3 year old. I sincerely hope it isn't true.

bobblehead
10-19-2008, 08:31 PM

Yea, cuz clifton, tauscher, DD, ect really screwed brett....sabotage those bastards.

TravisWilliams23
10-19-2008, 08:31 PM
I agree with what Charles Woodson said about it, but again I just can't believe that it is true, and if it is found to be false either Glazer needs to reveal his sources, or he needs to get his ass kicked.

Amen to that. If your going to print a damaging article like this, you'd better be willing and able to back it up with proof. Otherwise, you should lose your right to publish anything in the future.

bobblehead
10-19-2008, 08:41 PM
Yep, if BF refutes this glazer damn well better be able to back this up...otherwise everything I said about brett would apply to glazer.

BTW brett should have spent 60-90 minutes dissecting the raiders.

B. Favre 21/38 197 0 2

Badgerinmaine
10-19-2008, 09:26 PM
Here's the Wisconsin State Journal article about it:
http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/310284

I hope the story isn't true, but I'm sorry to say it wouldn't totally surprise me.

Harlan Huckleby
10-19-2008, 09:32 PM
FAvre said the story was BS, but then again last summer he said it was BS that he was considering unretiring.

FAvre has lost all credibility.

Joemailman
10-19-2008, 09:43 PM
Asked about the story after the Lions' loss at Houston, Detroit defensive coordinator Joe Barry said: "If he helped us, he didn't do a very good job." The Packers beat the Lions 48-25.

That's not exactly an outright denial. What strikes me is that no Packer has come out and said they feel there is no way Favre would do this. I'm hoping big time the story isn't true, but I have an uneasy feeling.

Zool
10-19-2008, 09:55 PM

Yar...Sour grapes is no way to live.

Harlan Huckleby
10-19-2008, 10:16 PM
seems like more proof that favre feels like he was really really really really screwed over by TT and m3.

he retired for 5 months. Then he didn't get his job back when he asked for it.

One can make an argument that the Packers were foolish not to give him his job back. But the notion that he was "really really really screwed" can only exist in the mind of a prima donna.

Chevelle2
10-19-2008, 10:30 PM
http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/10/19/packers-34-colts-14-post-game-and-favre-reax.aspx

Charles Woodson: "I don't respect that...to seek a team out, because you know I guess you're trying to sabotage this team, you know I don't respect that.....there's no honor in that."

^Woody knows whats up

Jenkins: "I just think it's kind of messed up how he left here. Hasn't talked to Aaron (Rodgers), wished Aaron good luck or anything or like that but he's called everybody else, called Tony Romo and stuff like that.....he could at least show a little more class, a little more respect to Aaron in that regard. "

These guys are PISSED.

Jimx29
10-19-2008, 10:30 PM
I call shens on the whole story. Peter King has called it too. Why people like glaizer can spew this shit w/o any repercussions is pure bullshit

Deputy Nutz
10-19-2008, 10:34 PM
http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/10/19/packers-34-colts-14-post-game-and-favre-reax.aspx

Charles Woodson: "I don't respect that...to seek a team out, because you know I guess you're trying to sabotage this team, you know I don't respect that.....there's no honor in that."

^Woody knows whats up

Jenkins: "I just think it's kind of messed up how he left here. Hasn't talked to Aaron (Rodgers), wished Aaron good luck or anything or like that but he's called everybody else, called Tony Romo and stuff like that.....he could at least show a little more class, a little more respect to Aaron in that regard. "

These guys are PISSED.

Woodson didn't claim Favre did anything, so I guess he would be pissed if he knew for fact that Brett Favre actually contacted the opponent of the Packers and he would be right for being betrayed.

Jenkins brings up some valid points, but come on, the way Favre ended in Green Bay you can't really expect him to have a whole lot of contact with anyone in the Packers lockerroom, especially the guy who the Packers pefered. Jenkins sounded like a petty fan.

steve823
10-19-2008, 11:24 PM
True. Down go his posters and pictures in my room. I have no respect for him anymore and I hope he does horrible this year.

bobblehead
10-19-2008, 11:45 PM
I'm leaning towards believing it right now, but glazer REALLY has to bring us a little proof. If not he is a coward and a prick. Making an allegation like this with one unnamed source is simply wrong...even if he 100% believes the source.

If he can drop this bomb with little verification what is to stop someone from doing worse. What if a player on the Lions really hates favre so he called glazer under anonymity and made this up. We need a little more than one unnamed source or glazers should have sat on it.

GrnBay007
10-19-2008, 11:46 PM
I disagree. It's no secret that he has beef with TT, but to throw his entire ex teammates to the curb like this, I dunno. There has to be more to it.

Agree. And why do all these articles say "sources report"? Who are the sources? Glazer needs to either tell the whole story or shut up. For all we know, the "source" could be a poster from PR. :D

The above statement about Brett having a beef with TT reminded me of something I read recently. Remember the brothers with the bringbackbrett website? They were selling t-shirts "Fire TT". I read that 3 or 4 weeks ago Brett wrote them and asked them to stop selling the shirts. (assuming it was because it was connected to the bring back brett stuff and using his name)

No matter how he felt about Packer management, I just can't see him doing something like this.

In any event, it would be nice if people would wait until all the details surface before they start wishing horrible things for him.

Patler
10-20-2008, 12:03 AM
The sports tonight reported that a second team has confirmed talking to Favre about the Packers offense. The reporter said there would be more on the story tomorrow.

If true, this could get ugly, and could really damage Favre's place in Packer history for the time being. Over time it will be forgotten, but it could take a long time.

bobblehead
10-20-2008, 12:05 AM
The above statement about Brett having a beef with TT reminded me of something I read recently. Remember the brothers with the bringbackbrett website? They were selling t-shirts "Fire TT". I read that 3 or 4 weeks ago Brett wrote them and asked them to stop selling the shirts. (assuming it was because it was connected to the bring back brett stuff and using his name)

that was a legal issue...if brett didn't write that letter he would have had a hard time stopping others from using his name for profit later...it had nothing to do with him being decent, or doing the right thing. that being said I do want to see how glazer responds to bretts denial

Chevelle2
10-20-2008, 12:05 AM
The sports tonight reported that a second team has confirmed talking to Favre about the Packers offense. The reporter said there would be more on the story tomorrow.

If true, this could get ugly, and could really damage Favre's place in Packer history for the time being. Over time it will be forgotten, but it could take a long time.

What show is that exactly? No offense, Ive never heard of it...HBO perhaps?

Harlan Huckleby
10-20-2008, 12:15 AM
I think the story sounds very fishy.

I doubt there will be any satisfying conclusion, the story will just fade away with no definitive word. Favre's reputation has been besmirched a little bit, like with any accusation. But the story will be forgotten.

Patler
10-20-2008, 12:31 AM
What show is that exactly? No offense, Ive never heard of it...HBO perhaps?

Madison, WI local news/sports/weather at 10:00.[/quote]

RashanGary
10-20-2008, 05:49 AM
Poor Brett. Interceptions always the recievers fault. Reporters all out to get him. Fans wishing (insert extreme drama) horrible, horrible things on him, ooohhh *fingers tingling*.

We might as well hang him on the cross, call him god the son and write a holy book about him since he's down here taking gods wrath for all of us.

Bossman641
10-20-2008, 09:12 AM
I don't feel like going back and looking up everything, but hasn't Glazer been correct on just about everything "Brett" he has reported? I believe he's always been one of the first to break th stories and has also been right on them.

sharpe1027
10-20-2008, 09:32 AM
The Lions have yet to deny it. If it was NOT true, wouldn't they immediately shut it down?

Partial
10-20-2008, 09:37 AM
I've given it some more thought.

I don't agree with Brett. It would be a totally different story if he gave his own team info. It'd be a different story if they sought him out even.

But to seek out another team, thats bush league.

I'm sure Sharper gave all the Packers hand signals to the Vikes, but he was on their team. He didn't call up the bears and give them the information as well.

Evidently Jason Wilde has confirmed this is in fact true. I am far too preoccupied with school to find that though.

cheesner
10-20-2008, 09:51 AM
The Lions have yet to deny it. If it was NOT true, wouldn't they immediately shut it down?I am not sure they care about Favre's legacy - but you would still think they would do the right thing.

I found this all difficult to believe at first. But I am getting a bad feeling about this that it is true. Given his Van Sustren interview and the 5hr meeting with MM where Brett wouldn't stop talking about his feelings and the past when MM wanted to talk about how BF would fit into the current picture.

Good grief Brett, what the hell are you thinking? This entire mess is so much reminding me of my divorce. She gave up, I divorced, she changed her mind, I was already dating a lingerie model, she rammed her vehicle into mine, etc.

Who would have thought NFL's 'iron man' was such a sensitive and insecure kid?

sharpe1027
10-20-2008, 10:06 AM
I am not sure they care about Favre's legacy - but you would still think they would do the right thing.

Nah, wasn't even considering Favre's legacy. I meant that the Lions look worse if the story is true. They were given every (unfair?) advantage to win and still can't pull off the victory. Pathetic. Not to mention it is more ammunition for all the Detrioit fans that are already fed up with a horrible team.

If it was not true, they would be best served to shut it down immediately.

Fritz
10-20-2008, 01:24 PM
The Lions have yet to deny it. If it was NOT true, wouldn't they immediately shut it down?

The Lions, when asked, neither denied nor confirmed. They politely declined to deny.

CaliforniaCheez
10-20-2008, 02:28 PM
Glazer is already backing down on the story.

There isn't any evidence (or named sources except by implication Matt Millen the GM).

This vicious gossip and inuendo is nearly slander.

In the News business Favre stories sell. Even the made up manufactured one.

Glazer has been proven wrong many times before and he did nothing to attempt to verify the rumor.

Nothing here that anyone should get worked up about.

cheesner
10-20-2008, 02:31 PM
I am not sure they care about Favre's legacy - but you would still think they would do the right thing.

Nah, wasn't even considering Favre's legacy. I meant that the Lions look worse if the story is true. They were given every (unfair?) advantage to win and still can't pull off the victory. Pathetic. Not to mention it is more ammunition for all the Detrioit fans that are already fed up with a horrible team.

If it was not true, they would be best served to shut it down immediately.Good point. All the more reason, using your logic, that if it was false they would have spoke up immediately and denied.

There is only 1 place that this info is coming from, cause brett isn't going to tell anyone about it. And if the story leaked it was probably a player working closely with a coach, and the coach let it slip.

Chevelle2
10-20-2008, 02:35 PM

LOL, really?

Today he said he is "1000% sure"

]{ilr]3
10-20-2008, 02:36 PM

There isn't any evidence (or named sources except by implication Matt Millen the GM).

Glazer has been proven wrong many times before and he did nothing to attempt to verify the rumor.

Where are you reading that Glazer is backing down from the Story? All I am reading is the complete opposite of what you are saying:

GLAZER GIVES MORE DETAILS ON FAVRE REPORT
Posted by Mike Florio on October 20, 2008, 2:05 p.m.
In an interview on Monday’s Jim Rome Show, Jay Glazer of FOX shared some more details regarding the report that Brett Favre spent 60-to-90 minutes helping the Lions prepare for the Packers.

Glazer says that the situation arose while former Lions CEO Matt Millen and Favre had a phone conversation in connection with Millen’s interest in taking Favre hunting. As Glazer explains it, when the pair finally got on the line together, the dialogue coincidentally occurred in the week before the Packers-Lions game.

Glazer attributes the discussion that ensued between Favre and Lions coaches to Favre’s affinity for holding court. “He just goes,” Glazer said, referring to experiences with Favre during production meetings from Glazer’s days as a sideline reporter.

Most importantly, Glazer said that he stands by the story “1,000 percent.”

“You can’t be 95 percent on this,” Glazer said. “You can’t be 99 percent on this.”

As to the possibility (raised by Rome) that Glazer was fed bad information by sources who wanted to make Favre look bad, Glazer said that the information came from folks who “didn’t care one way or the other,” and that Packers sources were not part of the equation.

As to Favre’s denial, Glazer pointed out that Favre initially called reports of his emergence from retirement as “rumor.” (In other words, Glazer politely called Favre a liar.)

Glazer also explained why he didn’t call Favre for a response. Glazer said that he feared Favre would have promptly called someone from ESPN to give them Favre’s skewed version of the situation. With the ESPN pregame show starting an hour before FOX’s, it would have been easy for ESPN to “scoop” Glazer.

(But since ESPN didn’t break the story, there’s not a single reference to it on ESPN.com. Even the army of eight former beat writers who cover four teams each for ESPN.com have yet to mention the story.)

Glazer is scheduled to talk about the situation again on Tuesday’s Dan Patrick Show.

sharpe1027
10-20-2008, 02:38 PM

No comment.

boiga
10-20-2008, 02:38 PM

I certainly wouldn't call this "backing down" :
Posted by Mike Florio on October 20, 2008, 2:05 p.m. EDT

In an interview on Monday’s Jim Rome Show, Jay Glazer of FOX shared some more details regarding the report that Brett Favre spent 60-to-90 minutes helping the Lions prepare for the Packers.

Glazer says that the situation arose while former Lions CEO Matt Millen and Favre had a phone conversation in connection with Millen’s interest in taking Favre hunting. As Glazer explains it, when the pair finally got on the line together, the dialogue coincidentally occurred in the week before the Packers-Lions game.

Glazer attributes the discussion that ensued between Favre and Lions coaches to Favre’s affinity for holding court. “He just goes,” Glazer said, referring to experiences with Favre during production meetings from Glazer’s days as a sideline reporter.

“You can’t be 95 percent on this,” Glazer said. “You can’t be 99 percent on this.”

As to the possibility (raised by Rome) that Glazer was fed bad information by sources who wanted to make Favre look bad, Glazer said that the information came from folks who “didn’t care one way or the other,” and that Packers sources were not part of the equation.

As to Favre’s denial, Glazer pointed out that Favre initially called reports of his emergence from retirement as “rumor.” (In other words, Glazer politely called Favre a liar.)

Glazer also explained why he didn’t call Favre for a response. Glazer said that he feared Favre would have promptly called someone from ESPN to give them Favre’s skewed version of the situation. With the ESPN pregame show starting an hour before FOX’s, it would have been easy for ESPN to “scoop” Glazer.

(But since ESPN didn’t break the story, there’s not a single reference to it on ESPN.com. Even the army of eight former beat writers who cover four teams each for ESPN.com have yet to mention the story.)

Glazer is scheduled to talk about the situation again on Tuesday’s Dan Patrick Show. http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/10/20/glazer-gives-more-details-on-favre-report/

Fritz
10-20-2008, 02:40 PM
Ruh-Roh.

If this true, however, it should put to rest any and all of the following rumors:

1. that Favre went around calling other Packers' opponents to freely offer the inside scoop. This makes it sound as if the subject kinda sorta just came up during a conversation (about going hunting).

2. That Rod Marinelli can coach. If he had an hour's worth of inside info and couldn't really get close to stopping the Pack, wtf?

CaliforniaCheez
10-20-2008, 02:40 PM
{ilr]3]

Where are you reading that Glazer is backing down from the Story? All I am reading is the complete opposite of what you are saying:

Glazer is scheduled to talk about the situation again on Tuesday’s Dan Patrick Show.

Exactly. Not much to this bad rumor/gossip at all.

Bossman641
10-20-2008, 02:45 PM
{ilr]3]

Not much to it?? How you read that and take it as Glazer backing down at all is completely beyond me.

HarveyWallbangers
10-20-2008, 02:47 PM
{ilr]3]Glazer said that... Packers sources were not part of the equation.

Important to note.

arcilite
10-20-2008, 02:48 PM
californiacheez = Baghdad Bob

HarveyWallbangers
10-20-2008, 02:48 PM
http://bigpicture.typepad.com/comments/images/2007/07/26/bagdad_bob_large.gif

Bossman641
10-20-2008, 02:52 PM
{ilr]3]Glazer said that... Packers sources were not part of the equation.

Important to note.

True

The Packers have better things to do than spread more dirt about Brett. Favre however, now that he has mastered the Jets 15 plays, has plenty of free time.

packinpatland
10-20-2008, 03:06 PM
I really wish we could go back to the Woodward and Bernstein days, when reporters substantiated their facts.........

CaliforniaCheez
10-20-2008, 03:09 PM
So what evidence does Glazer offer??

You know he was wrong on stories in the past.

Why would you buy this garbage?

Favre talked about hunting with Millen. No coaches named.
Millen and Favre like football so maybe football was discussed.

Giving game plan or other vital information?? really over reaching.

But it was on the internet it must be true!! Florio only makes mistakes every other day!

Grow up and think it through. Why do mindless lemmings want to believe bad gossip?

How can you forget the many time Glazer has been wrong??

Show me some evidence.

Glazer is not to be trusted on third hand information.

Brainless fools suffer for trusting an unreliable gossip.

sharpe1027
10-20-2008, 03:15 PM
Why would you buy this garbage?

No comment.

boiga
10-20-2008, 04:12 PM
Show me some evidence.

Glazer is not to be trusted on third hand information.

Brainless fools suffer for trusting an unreliable gossip.

Well, Wilde backs the story up.
Two league sources said Sunday they had been told of Favre contacting the Lions last month, before Glazer's report. One said the report was "absolutely" true. http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/packers/310284

I can understand why you wouldn't want to believe this story CalCheez, and neither do I, really. But, as it stands the only person in the know who is arguing that this never happened is Brett. Everyone else has either refused to comment or confirmed Glazer's reporting.

I know some might think differently, but as it stands, Glazer's credibility as a reporter is greater than Favre's as an interested party.

Nevertheless, the details of the alleged conversation with the Lions isn't exactly unbelievable. Favre was on the phone with Millen about arranging a hunting trip, talk moves on to the upcoming game, and Millen gets his coaches on the line so Favre ca dish to them about the Packers offense.

It's petty and pathetic, but Favre's not exactly being accused of eating babies or anything.

Bretsky
10-20-2008, 05:41 PM
All this shit is laughable

If you listen to ESPN radio or watch their telecasts you might have noticed that they are not reporting on the incident. WHY ?

Bottom line is
Glazer from Fox said his soures tell him it's 100% true
ESPN football guys say their sources tell them it's inaccurate

One more step to the bottom line

If you don't care for Favre you will most likely believe FOX

If you do still have a liking for Favre you will most likely believe ESPN

sharpe1027
10-20-2008, 05:46 PM

Maybe. I am currently basing my opinion on the Lion's reaction to the whole thing, not FOX or ESPN. We'll probably never know the whole truth, but IMHO, when someone says "I don't remember" or "no comment" or "I plead the fith", chances are they did something wrong.

The Shadow
10-20-2008, 05:48 PM
"If he called Millen,
Dude's a villian!"

The Shadow
10-20-2008, 05:49 PM
Sometimes I miss Johnny Cochran.

Harlan Huckleby
10-20-2008, 07:09 PM

You made the statement that Glazer is backing down from the story.

Yet the latest report is the opposite, Glazer reiterates his story with more specifics. Your response: "Exactly"

I'm not going to argue with you, I'd just like to wish a speedy and full recovery.

Freak Out
10-20-2008, 07:10 PM
We beat the crap out of the fucking Lions. End of story.

Harlan Huckleby
10-20-2008, 07:18 PM

There are no sources that can say the report is wrong. This is just wishful grasping at straws. If Glazer has credible sources that stand behind the story, that's all that matters.

I don't give a flying fig whether the story is true or not. FAvre already showed himself to be a skunk with his selfish, diva behavior in July. The latest story is COMPLETELY in character with that behavior, the call to Detroit is just one more turd on the shit pile.

The Ultimate Favre Fans will go to ANY length to deny the obvious. Favre could go on a nun-raping spree, the UFFs would just see it as the Legend showing his passion. "Let him play."

MJZiggy
10-20-2008, 07:19 PM

It's only the end of the story if he didn't have any hunting trips planned with Jerry Jones...

Freak Out
10-20-2008, 07:22 PM

It's only the end of the story if he didn't have any hunting trips planned with Jerry Jones...

He would have shot Jones......err...I mean there would have been an accident.

MJZiggy
10-20-2008, 07:23 PM

He would have shot Jones......err...I mean there would have been an accident.

It's Favre, not Cheney!!

Bretsky
10-20-2008, 07:28 PM

There are no sources that can say the report is wrong. This is just wishful grasping at straws. If Glazer has credible sources that stand behind the story, that's all that matters.

I don't give a flying fig whether the story is true or not. FAvre already showed himself to be a skunk with his selfish, diva behavior in July. The latest story is COMPLETELY in character with that behavior, the call to Detroit is just one more turd on the shit pile.

The Ultimate Favre Fans will go to ANY length to deny the obvious. Favre could go on a nun-raping spree, the UFFs would just see it as the Legend showing his passion. "Let him play."

Yes, it's obvious because Jay Glazer's source says so :roll: :roll: :roll:

Give me a frickin break

Harlan Huckleby
10-20-2008, 07:30 PM
no, that's not what I'm saying.

If a witness reports seeing a crime, bringing in another witness who DIDN'T see the crime doesn't invalidate the first witness.

hey Bretsky, I do have to give you props for showing and standing by your man. Most of the Favre fans are hiding, or more likely, out at the bar drowning their sorrows.

retailguy
10-20-2008, 07:33 PM

So does OJ! :shock: :D

MJZiggy
10-20-2008, 07:34 PM

So does OJ! :shock: :D :lol: :lol:

Bretsky
10-20-2008, 07:35 PM

If a witness reports seeing a crime, bringing in another witness who DIDN'T see the crime doesn't invalidate the first witness.

hey Bretsky, I do have to give you props for showing and standing by your man. Most of the Favre fans are hiding, or more likely, out at the bar drowning their sorrows.

I must admit I'm not not saying it's not true; in fact it would not surprise me that much.

Favre thinks TT shit on him.

I just won't believe it is until I hear more evidence than Jay Glazer, who is one of the better investigate NFL reporters out there.

And I do think the fact that ESPN is not even bothering to report the story has some credibility against assuming it's true

Regardless of who breaks stories ESPN jumps all over things they deem to be accurate.

Bossman641
10-20-2008, 07:43 PM
Most of the Favre fans are hiding, or more likely, out at the bar drowning their sorrows.

Seriously, has anyone checked on PacoPete? He hasn't posted in a week. I fear he is currently on suicide watch.

RashanGary
10-20-2008, 07:57 PM

I must admit I'm not not saying it's not true; in fact it would not surprise me that much.

Favre thinks TT shit on him.

I just won't believe it is until I hear more evidence than Jay Glazer, who is one of the better investigate NFL reporters out there.

And I do think the fact that ESPN is not even bothering to report the story has some credibility against assuming it's true

Regardless of who breaks stories ESPN jumps all over things they deem to be accurate.

ESPN has been suckin' Favre's balls since he started givign them the latest info. They don't want to screw an offseason of havnig the latest scoop by ripping him now. They're smarter than that. They can't wait to have Favre's big, dumb mug all over their air with stinky New York drama and they'll be damned if they're going to let a little balanced, responsible journelism get in the way of some good money. Glazer is reliable and stood strongly by his source saying he knew it better be solid for him to break it and he is 100% behind his report.

RashanGary
10-20-2008, 08:04 PM
On a side note, Jay Glazer has been the insider for all Packer leaks ever since Ari Fleicher became our secret weapon against Favre.

I would guess the Packers called Jay and gave him a little tip to look into this. From there Jay went around asking questions and found some nice answers from Lions representatives and here we are. Jay, like ESPN, knows he has an inside source and will be loyal as it benefits him not to say anything. He's saying he stumbled on this by "just asking questions", but I doubt that. I think he's one of our weapons on the inside. This is a nice, timely shot on Favre. It's too convenient and unusual for him to just stumble on and then sit on for weeks before anyone found out.

Glazer said he waited for good timing as he sat on this for a couple weeks. He said the Romo drama made it seem like as good of time as any. He's reliable. The only time he'll have inside info is when it's from us, but the Packers have not lied and Glazer has not been inaccurate in anything so far. If I was a Favre honk and I wanted something to be pissed about, I'd be pissed that the Packers are not going to sit back while Favre fucks them. They're going to make sure everything Favre says and does gets leaked and really, rightfully so. Favre started the war, might as well play. They're not going to protect Favre's legacy. I wouldn't tell myself Jay Glazer is a liar though. That is just fantasy land, wishfull thinking. He's a damn good reporter and has shown strong convictions about the accuracy of this report. This is fox sports news, not PFT.

Bretsky
10-20-2008, 08:31 PM
On a side note, Jay Glazer has been the insider for all Packer leaks ever since Ari Fleicher became our secret weapon against Favre.

I would guess the Packers called Jay and gave him a little tip to look into this. From there Jay went around asking questions and found some nice answers from Lions representatives and here we are. Jay, like ESPN, knows he has an inside source and will be loyal as it benefits him not to say anything. He's saying he stumbled on this by "just asking questions", but I doubt that. I think he's one of our weapons on the inside. This is a nice, timely shot on Favre. It's too convenient and unusual for him to just stumble on and then sit on for weeks before anyone found out.

Glazer said he waited for good timing as he sat on this for a couple weeks. He said the Romo drama made it seem like as good of time as any. He's reliable. The only time he'll have inside info is when it's from us, but the Packers have not lied and Glazer has not been inaccurate in anything so far. If I was a Favre honk and I wanted something to be pissed about, I'd be pissed that the Packers are not going to sit back while Favre fucks them. They're going to make sure everything Favre says and does gets leaked and really, rightfully so. Favre started the war, might as well play. They're not going to protect Favre's legacy. I wouldn't tell myself Jay Glazer is a liar though. That is just fantasy land, wishfull thinking. He's a damn good reporter and has shown strong convictions about the accuracy of this report. This is fox sports news, not PFT.

It's interesting that you think the Packers management are in bed with Glazer; it might even be true.

Bringing in the politician to assist in media manipulation was one of the sharpest moves GB made in all of this.

Glazer has not always been right in the past; no way do I take what Glazer says as fact.

As I've said all along it would not surprise me if it's true but I'm not going to believe Glazer cause Glazer says so.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-20-2008, 08:31 PM
I really wish we could go back to the Woodward and Bernstein days, when reporters substantiated their facts.........

Say what? I guess i must have missed them naming "deep throat."

Harlan Huckleby
10-20-2008, 08:36 PM
Glazer has not always been right in the past; no way do I take what Glazer says as fact.

As I've said all along it would not surprise me if it's true but I'm not going to believe Glazer cause Glazer says so.

Jason Wilde has confirmed the story through his sources as well.

Rastak
10-20-2008, 08:41 PM

They did indeed name Linda Lovelace, it just didn't make the front page with the country in crisis and all that.

digitaldean
10-20-2008, 08:43 PM
I am assuming John Holmes or Ron Jeremy corroborated it....

Rastak
10-20-2008, 08:44 PM

Yes, I believe they both did.

RashanGary
10-20-2008, 08:46 PM

Jason Wilde has confirmed the story through his sources as well.

You must have missed the Lions statement that their coaches didn't get coached by Brett Favre and Marinelli's, "no comment". We also have a Brett FAvre, "it's all rumor" text. It's been tied up pretty tight, but go on with your hate.

Harlan Huckleby
10-20-2008, 08:54 PM
I wonder what it would take for the Favre Fans to see their hero for what he is - a spoiled man-child.

My guess is that there is nothing that will shake them out of their devotion. Maybe a cult deprogrammer, armed with heavy medication, could crack a few. There will always be some way to look at events that paint Favre as a victim.

Bretsky
10-20-2008, 08:56 PM
I wonder what it would take for the Favre Fans to see their hero for what he is - a spoiled man-child.

My guess is that there is nothing that will shake them out of their devotion. Maybe a cult deprogrammer, armed with heavy medication, could crack a few. There will always be some way to look at events that paint Favre as a victim.

I'm way too strong to be broken :!: :lol: :wink:

HarveyWallbangers
10-20-2008, 08:58 PM

I needed this. Keep it up.

I hear Bambi Woods has the inside scoop on the Cowboys.

packinpatland
10-20-2008, 08:58 PM

I'm talking about when they broke the scandal......they checked, double checked their sources before they wrote the article.........didn't you see the movie? :lol:

Rastak
10-20-2008, 09:03 PM

I needed this. Keep it up.

I hear Bambi Woods has the inside scoop on the Cowboys.

Holmes thought long and hard about it before confirming and Jeremy stated "You bet my hairy ass she was deepthroat!".

Tyrone Bigguns
10-20-2008, 09:03 PM

I'm talking about when they broke the scandal......they checked, double checked their sources before they wrote the article.........didn't you see the movie? :lol:

And, you have proof that Glazer didn't. Look, he may not be 100% accurate, but my gut tells me he wouldn't put something out there like this unless he had done his homework. This isn't close to an erroneous report of a teams talking trade.

Movie: I was lost in the dreamy Redford. Amazing how similar he and hoffman are to woodward and bernstein. :roll:

packinpatland
10-20-2008, 09:13 PM
I thought Hoffman was a perfect Bernstein............Redford-Woodward.........not so much.........it was that tacky corduroy suit.

packinpatland
10-20-2008, 09:17 PM
"And, you have proof that Glazer didn't. Look, he may not be 100% accurate, but my gut tells me he wouldn't put something out there like this unless he had done his homework"

The onus should be on him to be 100% correct, not for the public to ferret out the truth or lies.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-20-2008, 09:27 PM
"And, you have proof that Glazer didn't. Look, he may not be 100% accurate, but my gut tells me he wouldn't put something out there like this unless he had done his homework"

The onus should be on him to be 100% correct, not for the public to ferret out the truth or lies.

I already stated i believe the story. It is your job to prove that he is lying. Or, do you approach all journalists from the position that they are lying until they prove to you that they aren't?

What Glazer reported is no different than WandB did utilizing Deepthroat. Glazer has multiple sources.

BobDobbs
10-20-2008, 10:02 PM
If we had just been so stringent about the veracity of our sources a few years back, maybe we wouldn't have listened to anything out of Ahmed Chalabi's mouth.

Guiness
10-21-2008, 03:06 AM

They did indeed name Linda Lovelace, it just didn't make the front page with the country in crisis and all that.

Mmm, of course. The other Deep Throat...

Scott Campbell
10-21-2008, 05:49 AM

I don't think Glazer should be expected to out his sources just because some Favre worshipers are upset about the reports.

cpk1994
10-21-2008, 05:49 AM

If you listen to ESPN radio or watch their telecasts you might have noticed that they are not reporting on the incident. WHY ?

Bottom line is

Or ESPN isn't reporting it becuae they got seriously out scooped. Also, The NFL guys at ESPN(Mort, Gene W.) are not about to upset their golden goose.
They are not about to report that makes Favre look bad, lest they lose those insider "texts" they get from Brett. ESPN has been known for sometime to be a heavily Pro-Favre zone. And of course they are going to say its inaccurate becuase they got out scooped. Basically, ESPN's silence is deafening becuase it enhances the notion that ESPN licks Favre's boots, warranted or not.

Scott Campbell
10-21-2008, 05:51 AM
I'm not sure I buy that. This is a big story, and if there's any truth to it at all, they'll eventually have to report on it.

cpk1994
10-21-2008, 05:59 AM
I'm not sure I buy that. This is a big story, and if there's any truth to it at all, they'll eventually have to report on it.I guess you are right, but I do believe that Mort and Gene W. aren't about to jeopardize their insider standing with Brett, so don't look for them to be the ones reporting it.

th87
10-21-2008, 06:08 AM
It is very odd (telling?) that ESPN hasn't even reported on this. Like the allegation had never even occurred.

Glazer was the first person to report Favre's retirement, and his comeback, and a host of other things. He's generally regarded as the best investigative reporter in the business. Much has been made about how he sleeps with his cellphone plugged in his ear. A highly respected journalist.

So are we to believe that he'd put all that on the line and ostensibly ruin his career by making some rumor up about the most beloved player in the league? I would doubt that.

cpk1994
10-21-2008, 06:10 AM
It is very odd (telling?) that ESPN hasn't even reported on this. Like the allegation had never even occurred.

Glazer was the first person to report Favre's retirement, and his comeback, and a host of other things. He's generally regarded as the best investigative reporter in the business. Much has been made about how he sleeps with his cellphone plugged in his ear. A highly respected journalist.

So are we to believe that he'd put all that on the line and ostensibly ruin his career by making some rumor up about the most beloved player in the league? I would doubt that.I think there is some truth to Glazer's report. "How Much?" is the real question.

th87
10-21-2008, 06:17 AM

So are we to believe that he'd put all that on the line and ostensibly ruin his career by making some rumor up about the most beloved player in the league? I would doubt that.I think there is some truth to Glazer's report. "How Much?" is the real question.

I'd say there's enough for it to be news. Glazer wouldn't risk his career making things up, just like TT wouldn't risk his career by making personnel decisions based on "ego".

Harlan Huckleby
10-21-2008, 09:00 AM
I'm not sure I buy that. This is a big story, and if there's any truth to it at all, they'll eventually have to report on it.

I doubt the media is even covering the story out in Jets land. Its a big story in packer chat rooms and talk radio.

If people are cool with Favre's behavior last summer, they can easily sweep this latest scorned Diva incident under the carpet. Those who find Favre to be an embarassment aren't going to be phased by it either, its just more of the same.

Its not a big story, especially since it will never be proved one way or another. Just another fart in the wind, as Ron Wolf would say.

cpk1994
10-21-2008, 09:15 AM

I doubt the media is even covering the story out in Jets land. Its a big story in packer chat rooms and talk radio.

If people are cool with Favre's behavior last summer, they can easily sweep this latest scorned Diva incident under the carpet. Those who find Favre to be an embarassment aren't going to be phased by it either, its just more of the same.

Its not a big story, especially since it will never be proved one way or another. Just another fart in the wind, as Ron Wolf would say.

Well you would be wrong as the NY Post has it on its website and it is an AP story so its more than just chat rooms and talk radio:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10202008/sports/jets/favre_ticks_off_packers_134348.htm

Partial
10-21-2008, 12:58 PM

Bottom line is

Or ESPN isn't reporting it becuae they got seriously out scooped. Also, The NFL guys at ESPN(Mort, Gene W.) are not about to upset their golden goose.
They are not about to report that makes Favre look bad, lest they lose those insider "texts" they get from Brett. ESPN has been known for sometime to be a heavily Pro-Favre zone. And of course they are going to say its inaccurate becuase they got out scooped. Basically, ESPN's silence is deafening becuase it enhances the notion that ESPN licks Favre's boots, warranted or not.

You realize Glazer broke the Favre retirement story and they still reported that, right :lol:

Lurker64
10-21-2008, 01:47 PM
The thing that doesn't really hold water for me here is "why would Brett Favre help the Lions win a football game?" The Lions players and coaches don't even do that, and they have a much better reason to do so. The only way this actually makes sense is if Brett is madder than he his smart, which is entirely possible come to think of it.

MOBB DEEP
10-21-2008, 01:49 PM
The thing that doesn't really hold water for me here is "why would Brett Favre help the Lions win a football game?" The Lions players and coaches don't even do that, and they have a much better reason to do so. The only way this actually makes sense is if Brett is madder than he his smart, which is entirely possible come to think of it.

bretts not dumb by any stretch

digitaldean
10-21-2008, 02:20 PM
Reason for ESPN's silence on this???

Tired of being deemed a "hater" by some, so read and decide for yourself.....

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/10/21/espn-issued-internal-do-not-report-warning-on-favre-story/

MOBB DEEP
10-21-2008, 02:26 PM
"If he called Millen,
Dude's a villian!"

LMAO

CaliforniaCheez
10-21-2008, 02:28 PM
Do you believe one one guy (Glazer or Favre) or do you believe everyone else.

Until there is more than one nut job as a source, you should remain neutral at least on the issue.

Favre haters will believe it and Favre fans will deny unsubstantiated rumors and gossip.

Yelling at each other will not produce facts.

It amazes me how many of you just don't track how accurate or inaccurate some media people are and their track record on liking or disliking certain players and teams!!

Don't give them a fresh pass on every new story. Especially any low life lawyer.......................... let alone one named Florio.

MOBB DEEP
10-21-2008, 02:45 PM

dont draw THAT parellel :)

MOBB DEEP
10-21-2008, 02:46 PM
I for one choose not to believe it. I would really hate for this to be true because I would really lose all the respect I have ever had for Favre, and for all of you that know me on this forum no that is a hell of a lot.

I for one understand a vendetta, but to have done this, that means Favre would have thrown all of his former teammates under the bus, and that to a man just isn't right. If you are that pissed at TT and McCarthy to do something like that why not just seriously bash them in the media, and relay even more of your private conversations with Thompson and McCarthy.

QFT

sharpe1027
10-21-2008, 03:10 PM
Do you believe one one guy (Glazer or Favre) or do you believe everyone else.

Did I miss something? Exactly who do you think "everyone else" is? The person who wrote the ESPN memo? Favre? Is that really everyone else? You could probably be more biased in how you frame the argument, but I'm not quite sure how. :wink:

boiga
10-21-2008, 04:59 PM
For those who still care, Florio got a copy of the internal ESPN memo blackballing the Favre-Millen story.

Under the heading “DO NOT REPORT . . . DO NOT REPORT . . . . DO NOT REPORT . . . DO NOT REPORT” (um, we get the point) appears the following:

“Yesterday, FoxSports reported that Brett Favre spent 60 to 90 minutes before the Week Two game between the Lions and the Packers educating the Detroit coaching staff regarding the Packers’ offensive strategies. WE HAVE BEEN TOLD BY RELIABLE SOURCES THIS REPORT IS NOT TRUE. We did NOT report it yesterday. Today, the NFL responded to the report, saying even if Favre did this he did not break any league rules. We are NOT reporting it today, because that would mean airing the erroneous report. DO NOT REPORT IT.”

You should probably read the whole PFT analysis of this memo as they have a couple of good points: http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/10/21/espn-issued-internal-do-not-report-warning-on-favre-story/

This is some serious Rove-esque message control by ESPN though. The story is out there and news worthy, so why not even mention it if only to deny its validity? If they don't watch out, their lack of reporting on this story will become a story in its own right.

Harlan Huckleby
10-21-2008, 06:44 PM
Until there is more than one nut job as a source, you should remain neutral at least on the issue.

The story was reported by TWO journalists, Glazer and Wilde, both of them had the story corroborated by more than one source.

Glazer and Wilde both have solid reputations, not sure where the "nut job" comes from.

Favre haters will believe it and Favre fans will deny unsubstantiated rumors and gossip.

It's true that all we really have to go on are the reputations of those two reporters, but calling it "rumors and gossip" doesn't make it so.

My opinion is that the story is mostly true, in that Favre had some conversations with the Lions about the Packers. It is impossible to think that Wilde and Glazer don't have a basis. But I also guess that it all happened informally, and didn't amount to much. Probably poor judgment on Favre's part, but not something he planned out.

MJZiggy
10-21-2008, 07:05 PM

I'm way too strong to be broken :!: :lol: :wink:

Pffftttt. All they'd have to do is tell you he was anti-lesbian and thinks all porn should be banned and you'd turn on him in a heartbeat. :!:

RashanGary
10-21-2008, 07:41 PM
Wow, this was shitty timing. All of the Favre crusaders have been coming around to being excited about the next Packer QB. Most of the poeple that were disgusted by Favres actions were over it and wishing him well for the draft pick. Then this, and during the bye to boot. Hopefully we have a good finish to the season and Favre makes the playoffs and all of this crap goes away.

We all know where everyone stands. A few people came around after this, but mostly it's the same shit on a new day. Once in a while I can't believe how blind people are and I get pissed, but I eventually come around and realize they are hopeless. That's where I am, and when I'm in that spot, I can enjoy the Favre lovers as much as anyone!!

GO PACK!! GO FAVRE!!

He's only a person. No better or worse than you or I. Sadly, some worship him and it's silly and pathetic, but at the end of the day he's just a guy who's not dealing well with the power of being a star. Nothing to be mad about. I hope he gets some humility, but I don't hate him at all. I just don't like the person he has been the last few years and that's the extend of it. Sheesh, what a stupid ass battle. Note: This doens't mean I'll never contribute, I'm just reflecting on how silly it is now but reserving the right to get pissed off at someones emotional blindness later ;)

Scott Campbell
10-21-2008, 08:40 PM

Read Nutz's post. My guess is that he is not the only one who has an opinion of Favre that will change if this turns out to be true.

Harlan Huckleby
10-21-2008, 08:46 PM
first it all it ain't true, in the sense that Favre went out of his way to blackball the Packers. At least that's what has leaked out, it sounds like a one-thing-led-to-another slippery slope.

And there aren't going to be more truths to come out. Unless somebody is threatened with prosecution for crimes against the packer nation, we know all we're going to know. People are just sticking with the impression of Favre that they formed last summer.

cpk1994
10-21-2008, 08:52 PM

Bottom line is

You realize Glazer broke the Favre retirement story and they still reported that, right :lol:Yes. Now read the next statement in my post. :lol:

Scott Campbell
10-21-2008, 09:15 PM
And there aren't going to be more truths to come out.

Have you read this?

http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/10/20/reporter-stands-by-favre-lions-story-quot-1-000-quot.aspx

It's getting harder and harder to be a Brett fan.

Pacopete4
10-21-2008, 09:26 PM

Have you read this?

http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/10/20/reporter-stands-by-favre-lions-story-quot-1-000-quot.aspx

why because the same story was rehashed? Give me a few names, and let the people he talked to come out and say it... then I'll believe it... until then, there is no proof and its Glazer's word, a man who wasn't in any of the conversation, against Brett.. who actually was there...

arcilite
10-21-2008, 10:04 PM

Have you read this?

why because the same story was rehashed? Give me a few names, and let the people he talked to come out and say it... then I'll believe it... until then, there is no proof and its Glazer's word, a man who wasn't in any of the conversation, against Brett.. who actually was there...

multiple sources confirm the story, multiple news outlets confirm the story, the Lions havnt even denied it.

Why can't you accept the fact that your boyfriend isn't everything you thought he was

Scott Campbell
10-21-2008, 10:10 PM

Have you read this?

:lol:

Your cutting him more slack than his Jet teammates.

Scott Campbell
10-21-2008, 10:12 PM
Give me a few names, and let the people he talked to come out and say it... then I'll believe it...

No you won't. You'll just start making excuses for him.

Bossman641
10-21-2008, 10:39 PM

Have you read this?

Do you really think they're going to come rght out and say it? Do you really think Glazer is going to come right out and say who he heard it from? He'd lose all his scoops Nobody would tell him anything anymore because he'd lose all trust. His job would basically be over.

Brett was also said the unretirement stores were false. How'd that turn out?? :!:

Good thing he was "there" though :oops:

Harlan Huckleby
10-21-2008, 11:50 PM

Have you read this?

OK, Glazer's standing behind his story, but it's still pretty fuzzy. It seems all but certain some conversations took place between Favre & the Lions where the Packers were discussed, that's crappy. But it's possible, likely even, that the conversations were pretty general.

I was listening to Leoroy Butler on the radio today (who appears to be enjoying his moment in the sun as an expert character witness :D ) I agree completely with his attitude: Butler believes Glazer and Wilde are top-notch, got the story generally right. But he also thinks the conversations were informal and kind of a joke, in that he doesn't think Favre had much information of real value to offer the Lions.

I'd say the story is dying if not dead. There is nothing more to feed it.

cpk1994
10-22-2008, 12:03 AM
Give me a few names, and let the people he talked to come out and say it... then I'll believe it...

No you won't. You'll just start making excuses for him.Just proving the old saying "The Captain goes down with his ship". :lol:

prsnfoto
10-22-2008, 11:49 AM

Have you read this?

multiple sources confirm the story, multiple news outlets confirm the story, the Lions havnt even denied it.

Why can't you accept the fact that your boyfriend isn't everything you thought he was

The Lions head of football operations has denied it. Speaking of boyfriend's I hope you and Justin Harrell are using protection after your pillow talk about BF.

prsnfoto
10-22-2008, 11:53 AM

Have you read this?

OK, Glazer's standing behind his story, but it's still pretty fuzzy. It seems all but certain some conversations took place between Favre & the Lions where the Packers were discussed, that's crappy. But it's possible, likely even, that the conversations were pretty general.

I was listening to Leoroy Butler on the radio today (who appears to be enjoying his moment in the sun as an expert character witness :D ) I agree completely with his attitude: Butler believes Glazer and Wilde are top-notch, got the story generally right. But he also thinks the conversations were informal and kind of a joke, in that he doesn't think Favre had much information of real value to offer the Lions.

I'd say the story is dying if not dead. There is nothing more to feed it.

Redemption for you Harlan you are not as braindead as some of the others. It was one phone call it was not with the coaches it was with Millen it was mostly about hunting and a little footballmixed in. End of story like it or not ESPN was probably right about this one and if there is anyway Brett can prove Glazer's story slander or libel he should sue the bald little munchkin.

Scott Campbell
10-22-2008, 12:14 PM
The Lions head of football operations has denied it.

So did Brett. Initially.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Scott Campbell
10-22-2008, 12:16 PM

Well Brett just admitted it. Time for you to go into excuse mode.

Patler
10-22-2008, 12:24 PM
It was one phone call it was not with the coaches it was with Millen it was mostly about hunting and a little footballmixed in. End of story like it or not ESPN was probably right about this one and if there is anyway Brett can prove Glazer's story slander or libel he should sue the bald little munchkin.

Favre now admitted it.
Favre apparently has acknowledged that he knew or assumed others (coaches) were listenting.
Favre apparently lied when initially denying it, and said some unflattering things about Fox/Glazer.

Would you now suggest that Glazer consider a suit for slander?

Scott Campbell
10-22-2008, 12:33 PM
At lease Mort was smart enough to keep away from this one. I can't say the same thing about Peter King.

Harlan Huckleby
10-22-2008, 12:41 PM
Guess I just weigh things differently. I see Favre's hunting-football conversation with Millan as a bit like junior telling the 4-year-old neighbor girl where babies come from. Favre pouting and demanding a release to the Vikings last summer was more like the brat setting the neighbor's cat on fire.

Favre is a spoiled child, that's agreed by any nondelusional person. But his spontaneous lapse of judgement with Millan seems far less awful to me than his summer tantrum.

Patler
10-22-2008, 12:50 PM
Guess I just weigh things differently. I see Favre's hunting-football conversation with Millan as a bit like junior telling the 4-year-old neighbor girl where babies come from. Favre pouting and demanding a release to the Vikings last summer was more like the brat setting the neighbor's cat on fire.

Favre is a spoiled child, that's agreed by any nondelusional person. But his spontaneous lapse of judgement with Millan seems far less awful to me than his summer tantrum.

If the truth is close to Favre's version of the story, I agree to some extent.
If the truth is closer to Glazer's version (60-90 minutes, more than one team, etc.) I disagree.

HarveyWallbangers
10-22-2008, 12:56 PM
I agree to some extent. If the truth is closer to Glazer's version (60-90 minutes, more than one team, etc.) I disagree.

To be fair, Glazer said he couldn't find anything to verify that other teams were involved--although he did seem to indiciate that he believes Brett talked to one other team. You can look at the schedule to determine which team was the likeliest.