PDA

View Full Version : Brandon JAckson

packers04
10-20-2008, 10:14 AM
Brandon Jackson is the best 3rd down back ever. Tough, big build, quick, good hands. i love him!

oregonpackfan
10-20-2008, 10:24 AM
Though I think it is premature to call him the "best third down back ever" I admit he has performed admirably on third down situations. He is especially skilled at receiving the quick toss running out of the backfield and then running well in the open field.

I was particularly impressed on one third down play yesterday. He had short yardage but was hit twice just short of the first down line. It was literally third effort by Jackson which enabled him to get the first down for the team!

gbgary
10-20-2008, 10:58 AM
Brandon Jackson is the best 3rd down back ever. Tough, big build, quick, good hands. i love him!

i checked with stats inc. and you are correct. :shock:

RashanGary
10-20-2008, 11:27 AM
I was particularly impressed on one third down play yesterday. He had short yardage but was hit twice just short of the first down line. It was literally third effort by Jackson which enabled him to get the first down for the team!

That was one of the best efforts of the game. Impressive.

Fritz
10-20-2008, 01:11 PM
Now I'd like to see MM give the guy about 7- 8 carries a game, and reduce Grant's workload proportionately.

Cheesehead Craig
10-20-2008, 01:32 PM
Now I'd like to see MM give the guy about 7- 8 carries a game, and reduce Grant's workload proportionately.
Agreed. I've been a big Brandon Jackson fan and thought he has done a good job when running the ball when given the opportunity. I hope he does get more carries as I think he brings a bit more explosiveness to the run game than Grant does.

Fritz
10-20-2008, 02:13 PM
It think a change of pace is good in terms of throwing off the other team as well. And I believe Grant could be more effective with a slightly reduced workload - say 20 - 25 carries per game.

And that way too when Jackson's in the game teams can't automatically assume it'll be a pass play.

HarveyWallbangers
10-20-2008, 02:41 PM
Grant is close. I'm okay with him carrying a big workload. (Few backs can carry it 30+ times every game, so I doubt that continues.) I like the way they use Jackson. He's good in space. His hands are getting better. Until he shows that he won't dance behind the line of scrimmage, he should be used like they are using him. I'm good with a 25/5 split on carries. However, I'd like to see them throw to Grant and run with Jackson once in awhile. They are getting close to being predictable.

Fritz
10-20-2008, 02:43 PM
I could live with that solution, Harv.

CaliforniaCheez
10-20-2008, 02:57 PM
I would like to see Jackson have more opportunities (I am not wanting more third downs, people). More Carries.

There is somthing wrong with the blocking on screen passes. It hasn't worked for awhile. I think blockers have a north/south mindset and tacklers are coming from a variety of directions.

Jackson has become good at picking up blitzers and doing his job.

The coaching staff doesn't have much confidence in him preferring to play a rusty and injured Grant early in the season instead of Jackson. His window of opportunity has shrunk considerable in the last 2 weeks.

run pMc
10-20-2008, 04:16 PM
I'd like to see BJack step up in the running game. Grant is more explosive IMO but GB needs a solid backup running the ball. BJack hasn't consistently shown that he's that guy. He's got the 3rd down back role locked down though.
As for splitting the carries, I'd rather see Grant's carries average between 18-22 a game. 25 carries a game averages to 400 carries over a 16 game season; that's a lot of wear on a RB. Keeping it closer to 22 per game would decrease the likelihood of having lots of nagging injuries as the (push for the) postseason approaches. Jackson should get the first crack at picking up the slack and if he can't do it see if Wynn can do anything. Would anyone be surprised if TT drafts a back next year? Is Lumpkin the answer at #2 RB?

BobDobbs
10-20-2008, 04:39 PM
Remember when he was a rookie and the knock on him was his pass protection. He had an incredible pickup yesterday, I think it was on the play that Jennings pulled the pass interference penalty. The packer Oline was a little confused it looked like. And he looped back from the pocket to the right side of the line as the rusher accelerating to keep Rodgers clean. It was amazing, probably my favorite play of the game.

As mentioned above, they definitely need to mix up how they use their backs a little more.

Cheesehead Craig
10-20-2008, 05:00 PM
The coaching staff doesn't have much confidence in him preferring to play a rusty and injured Grant early in the season instead of Jackson. His window of opportunity has shrunk considerable in the last 2 weeks.
Jackson was out against Seattle due to illness, so you can't count that against him. I think MM is being far to stubborn about Grant. The thinking seems to be that they are going to run Grant until he starts to break out of his injury slump. Jackson has avg over 5 ypc when called on and he should be getting about 5-6 carries a game at least. I think he's more explosive to the hole than Harv gives him credit for.

HarveyWallbangers
10-20-2008, 05:48 PM
Jackson has avg over 5 ypc when called on and he should be getting about 5-6 carries a game at least. I think he's more explosive to the hole than Harv gives him credit for.

Miniscule sample size--since he only has 20 carries and he got the most carries against the Lions. Take away the Lions game, and he's averaged 3.3 yards/carry on his other 13 carries. He averaged 3.6 yards/carry last year. I like how they are using him--although I'd like to see him bumped up to 5 carries/game. That's only a couple more carries/game. Stats aside, I don't see that he's improved at running the ball that much in his limited carries. I think it's easier for a guy to start seeing the holes better (especially one that showed he could do it last year) than a guy changing his running style to being a one-cut runner. Again, I was big on Jackson's bandwagon coming out of college, but he is what he is. A good change of pace, third down RB right now. Hopefully, he starts running more decisively.

Partial
10-20-2008, 09:15 PM
Grant is close. I'm okay with him carrying a big workload. (Few backs can carry it 30+ times every game, so I doubt that continues.) I like the way they use Jackson. He's good in space. His hands are getting better. Until he shows that he won't dance behind the line of scrimmage, he should be used like they are using him. I'm good with a 25/5 split on carries. However, I'd like to see them throw to Grant and run with Jackson once in awhile. They are getting close to being predictable.

I'd rather the carry go to Lumpy than Jackson. He's more explosive in hitting the hole. I am very satisfied with the way Jackson has been playing on third down.

Bossman641
10-20-2008, 09:47 PM

I'd rather the carry go to Lumpy than Jackson. He's more explosive in hitting the hole. I am very satisfied with the way Jackson has been playing on third down.

Isn't he out for the year?

Tyrone Bigguns
10-20-2008, 09:50 PM
Of course he is, but that won't stop partial from making dumbass posts.

C'mon, partial....extol the virtues of money morency.

Cheesehead Craig
10-20-2008, 09:58 PM
Jackson has avg over 5 ypc when called on and he should be getting about 5-6 carries a game at least. I think he's more explosive to the hole than Harv gives him credit for.

Miniscule sample size--since he only has 20 carries and he got the most carries against the Lions. Take away the Lions game, and he's averaged 3.3 yards/carry on his other 13 carries. He averaged 3.6 yards/carry last year. I like how they are using him--although I'd like to see him bumped up to 5 carries/game. That's only a couple more carries/game. Stats aside, I don't see that he's improved at running the ball that much in his limited carries. I think it's easier for a guy to start seeing the holes better (especially one that showed he could do it last year) than a guy changing his running style to being a one-cut runner. Again, I was big on Jackson's bandwagon coming out of college, but he is what he is. A good change of pace, third down RB right now. Hopefully, he starts running more decisively.
My point is that Jackson has done a good job when in there and should get more carries. Hell, I choose to throw out the MN game. That gives Jackson a 7.07 ypc. Same argument but now how good do the numbers look Harv? I don't see the stutter stepping you do, I see more explosiveness from him.

HarveyWallbangers
10-20-2008, 09:59 PM
My point is that Jackson has done a good job when in there and should get more carries. Hell, I choose to throw out the MN game. That gives Jackson a 7.07 ypc. Same argument but now how good do the numbers look Harv? I don't see the stutter stepping you do, I see more explosiveness from him.

You're proving my point. It's 20 carries--many on third down in passing situations. Those are easier to gain yards on.

Cheesehead Craig
10-20-2008, 10:00 PM

You're proving my point. It's 20 carries--many on third down in passing situations. Those are easier to gain yards on.

Nope, just throwing out games that improve my argument, just like you are.

Partial
10-20-2008, 10:14 PM

Dumbass post because I don't live and breath the Packers enough to know a third string back is out? I actually... ahh.. have a life guy.

Bossman641
10-20-2008, 10:17 PM

Dumbass post because I don't live and breath the Packers enough to know a third string back is out? I actually... ahh.. have a life guy.

Partial, you seem like a good guy, so nothing personal, but don't you have like the second or third most posts here?

Also, I'd guess 50% of the posters here know Lumpkin is out for the year. I guess there's a lot of us that don't have a life then.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-20-2008, 10:21 PM

Then, perhaps you shouldn't comment. Better to remain silent and thought a fool, then to open your mouth and confirm it.

Life: Really? Yet, you have 12K posts.

How is Money Morency doing? Can't believe all those teams have passed on signing him...despite your scouting report.